What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ricky Seals-Jones (1 Viewer)

Hell, has any TE had 3 good games in a row this year? I've been holding #1 priority all year and I think I'm gonna give this guy a shot. Late in the season and our priority doesn't roll over to next season so why not.

I think all teams want to find their "move" TE

3 weeks ago I traded ASJ for a late 2018 1st (Dynasty). Last week I spent my last $32 on RSJ I was surprised that I was able to get him but I’m happy nonetheless. I’m deep at the position and he’ll be on my bench but he’s good to have on my roster right now vs my teammates’

Tex

Hell, has any TE had 3 good games in a row this year? I've been holding #1 priority all year and I think I'm gonna give this guy a shot. Late in the season and our priority doesn't roll over to next season so why not.

I think all teams want to find their "move" TE
Picked him up this week, deep league.

Looks like I'll get to debate ASJ vs RSJ the rest of the season.

Actually picked him up earlier this week in dynasty, but then decided to drop him for Kittle.  maybe need to try to get him back.

Superstar WR recruit at Texas A&M.  Got too big and too slow to be an Evans-type WR, but he's really just a slow WR out there with a TE designation for ARI.
Interesting.  It's surprising he was ever recruited to play big time college WR- he's not much of an athlete. 

I picked him up in 5 of my 6 dynasty leagues and will have no problem cutting him come rookie draft time, unless I make some trades that open up some room. Gabbert likes him because they practiced together so much as a 3rd stringer, not sure how much that will translate to Palmer or a new qb next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Superstar WR recruit at Texas A&M.  Got too big and too slow to be an Evans-type WR, but he's really just a slow WR out there with a TE designation for ARI.
This pretty much. I remember watching him and getting hyped coming out of college (I love oversized WRs), then he ran a 4.7 40 which sealed his casket as a WR in the NFL. Then forgot about him completely until last week.

Any reasons to think he won't continue to be a regular target in this offense? I am thinking of putting a large bid on him. Clay is my TE right now and he's struggling. 

I can understand the excitement given the landscape of the TE position but I really don’t expect this to be much more than Blaine Gabbart having a connection with someone who he was practicing with regularly. TE is a nuanced postion that often has these outliers. His career is more likely to fall in the spectrum of Tim Wright, Brandon Meyers, Gary Barnridge and others who came out of nowhere only to return there in short time. Ride it out while the getting is good though.

He is still not on the field very often which is concerning. 
i'm not buying any Arians coached team TE hype. he's had his moments but it would seem that there is a dearth of options in the passing game beyond Fitzgerald. He could be a decent add for any fantasy team making a playoff run but I'm not sure what long term value he has. DJ returns next year - who is a dual threat - and surely they'll upgrade the WR position after the largely ineffective play of both John and Jaron Brown.

i'm not buying any Arians coached team TE hype. he's had his moments but it would seem that there is a dearth of options in the passing game beyond Fitzgerald. He could be a decent add for any fantasy team making a playoff run but I'm not sure what long term value he has. DJ returns next year - who is a dual threat - and surely they'll upgrade the WR position after the largely ineffective play of both John and Jaron Brown.
Yeah, I am strictly looking at ROS for those stuck in a TE blackhole. Does RSJ play in line or his being used as an overgrown WR?

Yeah, I am strictly looking at ROS for those stuck in a TE blackhole. Does RSJ play in line or his being used as an overgrown WR?
he's a converted WR. strictly move. he's a mismatch at the TE position but Arians likes his TEs to block.

he's a converted WR. strictly move. he's a mismatch at the TE position but Arians likes his TEs to block.
Ok, just wondering if they have were disappointed with what all the small fast WRs were (not) providing and might seek to use RSJ in a Fitzgerald type role. I just don't see how he fits with the Arians offense.

Ok, just wondering if they have were disappointed with what all the small fast WRs were (not) providing and might seek to use RSJ in a Fitzgerald type role. I just don't see how he fits with the Arians offense.
i was reading something from this morning. Arians and Keim speak well of him (well, Keim at least). Keim spoke about his progress and how gratifying it is to see that translate to the field. Arians harped on him as a tool for helping the QB read defenses. he also mentioned his need to block. 

he's a big, mobile target for Gabbert. it's an offense that doesn't offer a lot of that. i don't see him with a lot of value beyond their playoff push.

I agree that he doesn't seem to fit the Arians offense, but he does seem to fit the Gabbert mold of using the TE often. I recall that even Vance McDonald had some value in SF when Gabbert was back there.

Misnomer.  Fleener and Allen went 71-802-5 as rookies in Arians offense and Heath Miller did just fine when Arians was OC in PIT.  The problem in ARI has been talent at the position, not his offense.  If anything it's a Palmer issue but RSJ will outlast him.  Maybe already has.  RSJ was an all-world recruit, so I think there's a lot of talent there.  It didn't translate to WR because he's not lateral enough but as a TE he is probably a much better athlete relative to the baseline.

I agree that he doesn't seem to fit the Arians offense, but he does seem to fit the Gabbert mold of using the TE often. I recall that even Vance McDonald had some value in SF when Gabbert was back there.
Maybe Arians needs to go then. If a guy is producing and not being used, then he's not the problem. Arians really has no clue what a TE is for. Gabbert sticks to the middle of the field so who knows if the 1st read was to RSJ on his targets. Gabbert is looking his way.

Anyone firing this guy up this weekend vs. The Redskins?????

Last I checked, Jermaine Gresham hasn't practiced the last few days with an unspecified "illness", and if he sits, this might make for one Hell of a play vs. Washington. Think about it, no Peterson,  they are trotting out Kerwynn Williams, John Brown is still ruled out , and other than Larry Fitz  this offense is sorely lacking playmakers.

I have to make a decision today, as my other alternative is Eric Ebron, but I get word that Gresham is sitting, I think I am going to fire up RSJ.

Maybe any Cardinals homers have any insight to Gresham???

TZM

Last I checked, Jermaine Gresham hasn't practiced the last few days with an unspecified "illness", and if he sits, this might make for one Hell of a play vs. Washington. Think about it, no Peterson,  they are trotting out Kerwynn Williams, John Brown is still ruled out , and other than Larry Fitz  this offense is sorely lacking playmakers.

I have to make a decision today, as my other alternative is Eric Ebron, but I get word that Gresham is sitting, I think I am going to fire up RSJ.

TZM
Like most teams, the Cardinals carry 4 TEs on the 53 man. Gresham and Tony Nikals are the Y Tight Ends, the guys who play in line. RSJ is an F Tight End, the move TE who lines up different places - FB who motions, in the slot, et al. One of their favorite plays to run for Seals-Jones is to play him in the 12 formation (1 RB, 2TEs) and motion the back away from Ricky's side. That draws a cover guy away from RSJ and creates mismatches.

What they don't ask him to do very much is block. If he's in the game, he is likely running a pattern.

If Gresham cannot go, Niklas will see his snaps double from 34% to 65-70%, and Momah (most a STer) will see more snaps. It is likely the RSJ role doesn't change much. He has only been playing about 15-18 offensive snaps per game. I suppose that could bump to 20-30 or so? I guess he could run a few more routes.

Regardless, I like Seals-Jones as a sneaky start this weekend. In our format, the Redskins have given up the third most FFPA to TEs.

TZM
I guess I am in one league. The matchup is very nice. The problem is the snaps and lack of targets of course.

I know he is their so called "move tight end", and his snap count hasn't been extremely high.

But like Bobby had alluded to, an uptick in targets would likely put him on the streaming map.  As a fluke, I just noticed that Gresham hasn't been practicing the last couple days, and I was on the fence in one league about starting RSJ or Ebron.

In my biggest league, I am currently rolling out Ebron, and in another "sizeable" league, I am FACING Ebron, so I was looking for a viable alternative.

If Gresham is out, I would likely roll out RSJ. The issue here is, Ebron of course plays tonight, so I will likely just have to roll Ebron. (I didn't want to be stuck with a Shaheen/RSJ choice, if I pass on Ebron honestly)

I HATE starting one guy like this in a close matchup- then having to face him in another league in the semis. 

Its really the only serious player overlap I have this year between my playoff teams, other than BRANDIN COOKS .

Guess I can't ##### too much really.   I just hate having to fire up Ebron, (and then facing him elsewhere is another pet peeve of mine) but I have had enough of ASJ.  :wall:

If we get some last minute news this afternoon that Gresham isn't practicing again, I may yet roll out RSJ. But at this point, I don't see a scenario where will know anything early enough to act before the early DET game.

TZM

I hadn't noticed the point about Gresham so thanks for that. Gresham definitely is an option for targets, and I had somewhat thought that Nicklas was drafted as a receiving TE even if it hasn't worked out that way. RSJ has emerged with Gabbert in at QB and I'd have to think that's a wrinkle Arians has added in to help him. All this is 'a hope' which I'm wary of, but we all know the other scrub TE options if you're looking at RSJ. Last week was pretty bad for RSJ, but another thing to consider is that the Cards have faced three pretty good defenses in a row (and yeah TEN has been picking it up lately), while AZ is actually a little better at FF TE scoring than people might think (13th total FFPs) it's just spread out over 3 TEs.

I’m either staring RSJ or Shaheen - both are low volume dart throws.

I cut Olsen on Thursday, meaning if no one claims him - please, please, please pick him up & start him - I could go back for more punishment.

That just feels like a 2am text you’re gonna regret answering. 

ETA: Shaheen (chest) likely out. Wasn’t on the injury report all week.

Crashed down to earth?

For those with another week of waivers is he still worth holding?

Crashed down to earth?

For those with another week of waivers is he still worth holding?
This was expected with Stanton at qb and just because of the way Arian's uses the tight ends. It really depends on who is available in your league. I am holding him in my leagues because he is basically a receiver who is tight end eligible. If he stays tight end eligible he is a hold, if Arians leaves he is a hold. If Arians stays I think he is an easy drop. Personally I am holding him until the rookie drafts, then he will be an easy drop for the rookies I draft.

This was expected with Stanton at qb and just because of the way Arian's uses the tight ends. It really depends on who is available in your league. I am holding him in my leagues because he is basically a receiver who is tight end eligible. If he stays tight end eligible he is a hold, if Arians leaves he is a hold. If Arians stays I think he is an easy drop. Personally I am holding him until the rookie drafts, then he will be an easy drop for the rookies I draft.
Ok, sounds reasonable. Thinking I'll drop Richard Rodgers instead. He had one big game with Rodgers but is mostly a blocking the and while he has a nice game here and there, yes had time to show who he is. Or I could drop one off my DTs.... Goldman or Reed. But exactly studs but dt required so the young guys have some value. 

Ok, sounds reasonable. Thinking I'll drop Richard Rodgers instead. He had one big game with Rodgers but is mostly a blocking the and while he has a nice game here and there, yes had time to show who he is. Or I could drop one off my DTs.... Goldman or Reed. But exactly studs but dt required so the young guys have some value. 
I definitely hold him over Rodges.  We know who Rodgers is, but RSJ is still TBD.

Cardinals reporter Mike Jurecki expects TE Ricky Seals-Jones to have an "expanded role" in 2018.

Jurecki is connecting the obvious dots after the Cardinals failed to either sign or draft legitimate competition. Jermaine Gresham tore his Achilles' last Week 17 and is probably doubtful for Week 1. A 23-year-old converted wide receiver, Seals-Jones flashed upside in catching 12 passes for 201 yards and three scores over the Cardinals' final seven games last season. He's an interesting TE2 prospect in fantasy.

Source: Mike Jurecki on Twitter 

May 3 - 3:59 PM

Bradford loves himself a TE to throw to as well.  If he’s the started that is.  Pretty good flier if you ask me, especially TE premium

Cardinals reporter Mike Jurecki expects Ricky Seals-Jones to be the Cardinals' "breakout offensive player" in 2018.

Jurecki has been tooting this horn much of the offseason, and it makes a ton of sense after the Cardinals didn't add any tight end help outside of a pair of end-of-roster undrafted rookies. When on the field last season, albeit on limited snaps, Seals-Jones' yards per route run was more than double the average for tight ends. RSJ should open as the No. 1 tight end in the desert.

Source: Mike Jurecki on Twitter 

Jul 8 - 11:29 AM

I own RSJ and I’m trying to believe. I can cut him and draft Gesicki.

So during preseason I will be watching these two to see who’ll actually be used.

Historically this staff just doesn’t use their TE so from that prospective RSJ might be nothing more than a bye week filler.

Let’s see how this works out.

Tex 

“At the fringe of not registering an ADP worth tracking, Seals-Jones’ average draft position isn’t taking enough future projection into account. Jones played on a limited sample size in 2017 running just 70 routes, but his 2.96 yards per route run would’ve led the field by a sizable margin had he had enough snaps to qualify. To put that number here into some context, Rob Gronkowski sported 2.43 YPRR to lead the position; the next-closest was Hunter Henry at 2.05. During Sam Bradford’s last healthy season (2016), he connected with TE Kyle Rudolph for a career year, putting up an 83-840-7 stat line on 132 targets. Bradford has shown he historically tends to throw short, high-percentage passes over the middle and let his receivers shine in space. Seals-Jones offers both that ability and field-stretching ability, providing this Arizona offense a diverse weapon entering Year 2 of his career. Seals-Jones makes for a strong third tight end candidate in best-ball leagues and could see some early-season success if Bradford holds off rookie QB Josh Rosen.”

Tex

I've tried to buy everywhere I could the last 2 months after I posted about Bradford, way before this news broke and nobody was selling for cheap.  Didn't manage to get him at all other than the 2 teams I already had him stashed.  Most people want a 2nd, but they'd rather wait to see if he is something or not.  So they don't actually want a 2nd.  I tried to get him as a throw in sneaky add but that didn't work either.  One guy told me "you'd have to wow me" in order to get him.  

I've tried to buy everywhere I could the last 2 months after I posted about Bradford, way before this news broke and nobody was selling for cheap.  Didn't manage to get him at all other than the 2 teams I already had him stashed.  Most people want a 2nd, but they'd rather wait to see if he is something or not.  So they don't actually want a 2nd.  I tried to get him as a throw in sneaky add but that didn't work either.  One guy told me "you'd have to wow me" in order to get him.  
The potential is there for sure. I’m hoping Bradford uses him like he used Rudolph. There’s at least 3 TEs I like for 2019, being in Dynasty I’m just thinking ahead of time. The more I looking at it the more I’m starting to like Hurst too!

Tex

Lots of RSJ hype, Matthew Berry talking him up and now the beat writer reports...will be interesting to see how high his ADP goes in the next month or so.

A good sell high candidate if you can find someone buying into the hype.

Users who are viewing this thread