What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****Official Keith Olbermann Thread***** (1 Viewer)

squistion

Footballguy
:sadbanana:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/keith-olbermann-retiring-political-commentary_us_5a1cd3cde4b0e2ddcbb2300c

Keith Olbermann Says He’s Retiring From Political Commentary

He wraps up “The Resistance” series by saying he’s ready to enjoy his life again. “I’ve said what I have to say.”

Keith Olbermann, who had dedicated a video series to his scathing analysis of President Donald Trump, announced Monday night that he was retiring from political commentary entirely.

“I am confident now, even more so than I have been throughout the last year, that this nightmare presidency of Donald John Trump will end prematurely and end soon, and I am thus also confident that this it the correct moment to end this series of commentaries,” he said during his latest episode of GQ’s “The Resistance.” 

Olbermann said that he did the GQ series “for free and for charity,” but he did not enjoy it.

“It has been pain, revulsion and horror,” he said. “I’d like to go back and enjoy some of my life again, and I’m going to. No illness, no scandal, no firing ― just, I’ve said what I had to say.”

In a series of tweets, Olbermann added that he thought the president “was finished” after Trump referred to Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) using a racial slur during an event honoring Native Americans.

“Trump’s an ex-president waiting to happen - imminently,” he wrote. “So tonight’s will be the last episode of #TheResistanceGQ and I’m retiring from political commentary.”

Olbermann’s announcement was met with celebration from his critics, including the president’s oldest son, and confusion by many of his supporters. 

Donald Trump Jr. ✔ @DonaldJTrumpJr  5:55 PM - Nov 27, 2017

#winning https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/935290724408528896 …

Joe Walsh ✔ @WalshFreedom 3:35 PM - Nov 27, 2017

After failing (or being fired from) most media outlets, @KeithOlbermann has announced he's "retiring from political commentary in all media venues."

It's a Christmas miracle! https://twitter.com/GQMagazine/status/935273906885353473 …

S.E. Cupp ✔ @secupp 7:25 PM - Nov 27, 2017

Curious timing... http://thehill.com/homenews/media/362068-keith-olbermann-i-am-retiring-from-political-commentary …

Jane Mac @Harleyquinn1127 7:24 PM - Nov 27, 2017

Final? Um... we are barely in the bottom the 3rd inning.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I'm hearing Keith is looking to get out before any reports of his past sexual harassment of women comes to light.

Indeed I think this "retirement" will probably be short lived. His ego is such that I don't think he can stay out of the media spotlight for an extended period of time.
He might as well have started a thread here: "Time to say goodbye to the FFA. This will be my last post"

4 hours ago, Snickers said:

From what I'm hearing Keith is looking to get out before any reports of his past sexual harassment of women comes to light.
First thing I thought of
People have been speculating that on Twitter, but I think if there was anything to it would have come out long ago. Olbermann has deep pockets after having multi-million dollar contracts honored despite being let go early by both MSNBC and Current (he took Current to court for his early termination and won).

Olbermann is a prima donna and abrasive personality and you don't find many coworkers or subordinates who have much good to say about him after his stints with ESPN, MSNBC or Current (with the exception of Dan Patrick). And although there have been plenty of anonymous sources from staffers on his shows that felt he was overly demanding and treated them poorly, there has not been (so far) any accusations of sexual harassment or misconduct.

I am not sure that I buy his claim that he ran out of things to talk about. I think there is something more to this, but I doubt it involves Al Franken or Mark Halperin type of behavior - but we will see...

Olbermann had retired from political commentary when I started this thread in 2017.

But, he is back!

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/520061-keith-olbermann-leaves-espn-again-to-focus-on-political-commentary-with-new

Keith Olbermann leaves ESPN to host political show on YouTube

ESPN’s Keith Olbermann is leaving the sports network again so that he can focus on political commentary.

In a video and statement posted on Twitter, Olbermann, a former star on MSNBC, said he would host a political talkshow on his personal YouTube Channel weeknights beginning Wednesday.

The new show, “The Worst Person in the World,” will focus on the 2020 presidential election and will stay true to the anti-Trump rhetoric for which Olbermann has become known.

“You didn’t think I was going to sit out this election did you?” Olbermann said jokingly in the announcement video he shared with Twitter followers.

Olbermann returned to ESPN for a third time in 2018. 

“In the 31 years since I first worked for the network filling in for Roy Firestone on 'Sportslook' in L.A., I’ve left ESPN in every different way imaginable. And while only once was it unpleasant, this time it is truly on happy terms,” he said.

“The Worst Person in the World,” premieres Wednesday at 5 p.m. EST on YouTube.

Olbermann had retired from political commentary when I started this thread in 2017.

But, he is back!

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/520061-keith-olbermann-leaves-espn-again-to-focus-on-political-commentary-with-new

Keith Olbermann leaves ESPN to host political show on YouTube

ESPN’s Keith Olbermann is leaving the sports network again so that he can focus on political commentary.

In a video and statement posted on Twitter, Olbermann, a former star on MSNBC, said he would host a political talkshow on his personal YouTube Channel weeknights beginning Wednesday.

The new show, “The Worst Person in the World,” will focus on the 2020 presidential election and will stay true to the anti-Trump rhetoric for which Olbermann has become known.

“You didn’t think I was going to sit out this election did you?” Olbermann said jokingly in the announcement video he shared with Twitter followers.

Olbermann returned to ESPN for a third time in 2018. 

“In the 31 years since I first worked for the network filling in for Roy Firestone on 'Sportslook' in L.A., I’ve left ESPN in every different way imaginable. And while only once was it unpleasant, this time it is truly on happy terms,” he said.

“The Worst Person in the World,” premieres Wednesday at 5 p.m. EST on YouTube.
Never did like Olbermann. 

Well, my daughters aren't getting their princess weddings if DIS stock doesn't go up!
I like DIS as a whole long term, I don't like ESPN long term.  There was a time I never thought I'd say that but I don't see a solution there.

ESPN is yet another example of going woke, going broke.  Why any entertainment has the need to go political and piss off a large segment of their audience is really ignorant from a business standpoint.   Maybe being leftist politically-correct wokes works great on Broadway, but not the NFL or other major sporting leagues.

ESPN is yet another example of going woke, going broke.  Why any entertainment has the need to go political and piss off a large segment of their audience is really ignorant from a business standpoint.   Maybe being leftist politically-correct wokes works great on Broadway, but not the NFL or other major sporting leagues.
Agreed.  ESPN had seemingly figured it out a while back when they tried to scale the political and societal talk back big time, resulting in Dan LeBatard throwing a hissy fit about it, but recent events had them jumping back in with both feet, and there is no doubt that they have ticked off a portion of sports fans that are not small.  I like sports and will watch if the game or event is good, but there are a lot of fans who are now turned off by the NBA and/or NFL, and it will be tough to get them back any time soon.  And that affects ESPN.

It's Friday, and the fact that a particular poster in this forum is also the world's last remaining Keith Olbermann fan brings a smile to my face.  That's so perfect.

Agreed.  ESPN had seemingly figured it out a while back when they tried to scale the political and societal talk back big time, resulting in Dan LeBatard throwing a hissy fit about it, but recent events had them jumping back in with both feet, and there is no doubt that they have ticked off a portion of sports fans that are not small.  I like sports and will watch if the game or event is good, but there are a lot of fans who are now turned off by the NBA and/or NFL, and it will be tough to get them back any time soon.  And that affects ESPN.
I will watch it if there is really nothing else going on and I want to relax for a bit.  But watching 2 or 3 full games on Sunday is over.  Not that interested.  It does not even cross my mind they are even playing on Mondays and Thursdays.  

Never did like Olbermann. 
Patrick and Olberman were good together.  Sometimes when bands go their seperate ways one does much better than the other.   Patricks stock rose as he found his niche and built on it.  Keith floundered and never really found much success after Sports Center, bouncing around from politics to sports back to politics.  Now hardly anyone remembers him anymore.

I wasn't even aware Olberman was back at ESPN.    Where they used to be the preeminent voice for the sports enthusiast, there are way too many other good choices now.    The carriage contracts with the major cable and satellite companies, and being under the big tent of Disney are the two major factors that have kept them from dying off at an even faster rate. 

Tried to watch that video, pretty hard to get through it. 

Since the 2nd debate is in jeopardy, I propose that we instead have a nationally televised debate between Olberman and Dennis Miller.  

We'd judge them on the 8 categories shown below.  Here is how I'd handicap it:

Comedic chops/Sense of Humor - Miller by a long shot
Common Sense - Miller
Faux Outrage - edge to Olberman
Sports Knowledge - close, but probably Miller
Gratuitous cursing - Olberman easily
Use of buzzwords dropped to purely to incite emotion - Olberman
Use of words that 95% of the population would have to look up - Miller
Hair/Facial Hair - very confusing as Olberman is sporting the Lindsay Graham and Miller's hair has always been the most left leaning thing about him

Rebuild the world Trump has merely DESTROYED!  - Olberman in that video
"I've got a couple steaks over here marinated in some hydroxychloroquine."  -  Miller in April of this year

Olbermann returning for the 5th time and using his YouTube channel to jockey for a show on CNN wasn’t on my 2020 bingo card. He will fit right in.
CNN has never expressed an interest in him before when he was available, after leaving MSNBC and then, Current. He is just a bit too controversial for them IMO, so I doubt they will consider him now.

He wants to prosecute Trump, Trump supports, ACB, and anyone that ever registered as a Republican.

Users who are viewing this thread