What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Elections Thread (3 Viewers)

Joe Summer said:
Strange that President Trump hasn't made an official endorsement in the Republican Senate primary in Arizona. Is he going to endorse his buddy Sheriff Joe (currently 3rd in the polls), or is he going to endorse Pizzagate-supporter Kelli Ward (2nd in the polls), or is he going to endorse the front-runner (Martha McSally)?
Trump will wait for the polls to close, and then say he was always supporting Martha McSallyface.

Trump will wait for the polls to close, and then say he was always supporting Martha McSallyface.
Yup.  Was about to post the same thing. He doesn't care who wins the GOP primary in Arizona, or anywhere else really. He cares about looking bad if he picks the wrong horse and therefore is perceived as being less influential or important than previously thought.

In the words of our greatest Trump profiler, "it is not quite fair to say that Donald Trump lacks core beliefs, but to the extent that we can take apart these beliefs they amount to Give Donald Trump Your Money and Donald Trump Should Really Be on Television More."

Last edited by a moderator:
Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

To the incredible people of the Great State of Wyoming: Go VOTE TODAY for Foster Friess - He will be a fantastic Governor! Strong on Crime, Borders & 2nd Amendment. Loves our Military & our Vets. He has my complete and total Endorsement!

7:56 AM - 21 Aug 2018
Friess had a 1 point lead in a poll that was done about a week before this tweet. He lost by 7 points.

If the name rings a bell for anyone, Friess was the "back in my day, gals put an aspirin between their legs to stop babies" guy.
We can't bust heads like we used to. But we have our ways. One trick is to tell stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I caught the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Gimme five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Now where were we... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have any white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

That......that doesn't even make any sense. :confused:
Here's the full quote, you can see if it makes any more sense:

“On this contraceptive thing, my Gosh it’s such [sic] inexpensive,” he added. “You know, back in my days, they used Bayer aspirin for contraception. The gals put it between their knees, and it wasn’t that costly.”

:shrug:

Rep. Duncan Hunter and his wife indicted in use of campaign funds for personal expenses

GOP having a tough day....

ETA: 

Hunter was a founding member of the "Trump Caucus" in the House during the 2016 campaign, and alongside Rep. Chris Collins, was the first of two sitting congressmen to endorse Trump for President back in February 2016. Collins was indicted earlier this month on insider trader charges.
What an asssssssshat!  Look at some of this!

Here are a few of the weirdest things the Hunters are accused of buying:

Plane Tickets for Family, Friends… and Animals

The DOJ says the Hunters spent more than $15,000 on flights and hotel accommodations for guests including Margaret Hunter’s nephew, her mom and her mom’s boyfriend.

Their generosity also extended to the family pet, who got a $250 ride to Washington, D.C. as part of a family vacation. The indictment doesn’t identify the pet in question, but Duncan Hunter previously admitted to flying his kids’ bunny across the country — something his campaign said was blown out of proportion by the Office of Congressional Ethics. :lmao:

Duncan Hunter is accused of buying 30 tequila shots and one steak during a friend’s bachelor party in March 2016. :banned:

Margaret Hunter allegedly spent $5,068.34 on some 200 trips to fast food restaurants “without documenting a legitimate campaign purpose.” She picked up snacks at places like Wendy’s, McDonald’s, Taco Bell, Burger King, Kentucky Fried Chicken and Panda Express.  :porked:
Ladies and gentlemen......THE REPUBLICANS!  :lmao:

“On this contraceptive thing, my Gosh it’s such [sic] inexpensive,” he added. “You know, back in my days, they used Bayer aspirin for contraception. The gals put it between their knees, and it wasn’t that costly.”

Oh.  How......classy.  

Why would you need me to complain about the Republicans?  The internet is awash in people complaining about the "party of Trump," and painting the "not Trump" blue wave vote as the savior of decent society in November.  While I find the Republicans pretty gross, I shouldn't have to complain about them to 'balance out' my opinion on the Dems' approval of their wifebeater Senator.  

I think both parties are trash and should have been abandoned a long time ago.  You sit here and make it a "but Republicans" thing.  I wonder why that is?  
Side by side, there really is no comparison between the two parties. I would love the crats to be more progressive, but it not like that aren't currently markedly different

these are just fringe guys

/jon

Then report it to the moderators and let them deal with it.  Quit mucking up threads with your incessant whining and faux moderating.
I too am sick of all the whining on both sides. But if he triggers you that easily, you are partially responsible for not having him on ignore rather than whining about his whining

We can't bust heads like we used to. But we have our ways. One trick is to tell stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I caught the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Gimme five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Now where were we... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have any white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
:lmao:

Strange that President Trump hasn't made an official endorsement in the Republican Senate primary in Arizona. Is he going to endorse his buddy Sheriff Joe (currently 3rd in the polls), or is he going to endorse Pizzagate-supporter Kelli Ward (2nd in the polls), or is he going to endorse the front-runner (Martha McSally)?
Why would any politician want his endorsement?

White House blocks bill that would protect elections

I'm not an expert on the subject matter but my uneducated take, after looking at the explanations in favor of the bill as well as the incredibly weak rationale offered for blocking it. is that this is bad and gross.
It would also incentivize the purchase of voting machines that leave a paper record of votes cast, as opposed to some all-electronic models that do not. 

Needed.

Another poll where Trump doesn't have majority support among white non-college graduates (albeit by only a point). That's a huge red flag for Republicans in my opinion (or at least this iteration of Republicanism).

Sure, a huge majority of Republicans still support him (though it should be noted that it's only 80% now instead of 90+%, same as the national polls), but he's only winning the majority of a steadily shrinking base. 

Thanks for posting. I never would have seen it otherwise. 
Something seems off about those numbers.  Are there that few people identifying as Republicans?

An attempt to close 7 of 9 polling places in a rural Georgia county has been stopped and the consultant who proposed it has been fired.  It's bad they tried it but I'm more and more hopeful that my home state is shifting away from Trump and away from the Republican party.  Depending on the 2020 D candidate I think there's a real chance Trump could lose the state.  I'm not as hopeful for Abrams in the governor's race - a white male vs. black female race - but I will say that Kemp aligning himself so closely with Trump does him no favors.  The polling shows it as a toss up so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by a moderator:
An attempt to close 7 of 9 polling places in a rural Georgia county has been stopped and the consultant who proposed it has been fired.  It's bad they tried it but I'm more and more hopeful that my home state is shifting away from Trump and away from the Republican party.  Depending on the 2020 D candidate I think there's a real chance Trump could lose the state.  I'm not as hopeful for Abrams in the governor's race - a white male vs. black female race - but I will say that Kemp aligning himself so closely with Trump does him no favors.  The polling shows it as a toss up so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
I think Nate Silver had data showing Georgia as the most consistent red state in the country. Defined as red voters voting red in almost exactly the same percentages every time (not many swing voters would be another way of putting it, I guess). The problem for Repubs there, however, is the same one facing them at large -- the numbers of minority voters keeps creeping ever closer to a majority and those folks don't vote GOP. Georgia is like the tenth biggest state in the nation and the minority party which can only win elections by the narrowest of margins on the eccentricities of the Electoral College can't afford to lose it any more than it can afford to lose Texas.

I think Nate Silver had data showing Georgia as the most consistent red state in the country. Defined as red voters voting red in almost exactly the same percentages every time (not many swing voters would be another way of putting it, I guess). The problem for Repubs there, however, is the same one facing them at large -- the numbers of minority voters keeps creeping ever closer to a majority and those folks don't vote GOP. Georgia is like the tenth biggest state in the nation and the minority party which can only win elections by the narrowest of margins on the eccentricities of the Electoral College can't afford to lose it any more than it can afford to lose Texas.
I will need to look for that data - would probably make sense, the large cities Atlanta, Savannah, Augusta, Macon and Columbus are all either blue or have been blue.  The remainder of the state is red.  What gives me hope is this:

"Hillary Clinton being the first Democrat to win Henry County since 1980, and the first Democrat to win Gwinnett County and Cobb County since 1976" - those counties in the past decade have been among the fastest growing counties in the country.  I only seeing it going in one direction over the next decade.

I tend to believe pretty good things about Reuters generally but this poll (at the bottom of a fairly lengthy story) shows overall support for single payer now nearing the 70% mark for all Americans. That's a little hard for a cynic like me to believe (maybe those crazy old Repubs who answer the phones are still lying to the pollsters) but if it's true then I think the Dems need to not let up on the expansion of the social services safety net.

I also think this swing has caught Republicans in general completely by surprise, judging by things their political leaders say and comments on social media, where conservatives still refer to it as a "radical fringe idea." Whoops, GOP, something else is slipping away from you.

I don't think it's been stopped yet, although they did fire the guy.  They haven't voted on the measure, but reading the tea leaves, you'd assume they won't go with his recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread