Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2018 Elections Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from a polling place with my LD's State Senate candidate. We're a traditionally red Arizona district with two insanely terrible Republican incumbents and a fairly sane Senate Republican

I helped get a lesbian Native American elected to Congress.  In Kansas.   And helped prevent Kris Kobach from being in charge of an entire state.   How was your autumn?

Tonight, Ann Coulter tweeted "Kansas is dead to me".   But cut her some slack.  She's been pissed off at us ever since we dropped a house on her sister.  

6 hours ago, NCCommish said:

Well there are many facts on both subjects.  And I said empty rhetoric not as a gotcha but more as what often gets offered instead of you know facts.

Of course there are facts. But none that will change people’s minds. Certainly not on a message board full of anonymous people. 

8 hours ago, [scooter] said:

Meh. "Pro Life" is just a contraction of "Pro Innocent Life".

I remember hearing a quote years ago that Republicans were pro-life from conception to birth, then picked it up again when the person went into an irreversible coma.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, NCCommish said:

Well isn't a contradiction that prolifers vote for people who pursue policies against feeding the hungry,  housing the homeless and healing the sick?

And vociferously oppose sex education and contraceptives. They aren't pro life they're anti unsanctioned fun sexy time. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, T J said:

Of course there are facts. But none that will change people’s minds. Certainly not on a message board full of anonymous people. 

Well as I said I have changed my mind and seen others change theirs right here on this board.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, NCCommish said:
3 hours ago, T J said:

Well as I said I have changed my mind and seen others change theirs right here on this board.

I think this says more about him than the message board.  I think the not allowing facts to change ones mind is his mindset and he projects it to others.  I have had my mind changed by facts presented to me on this forum.

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, toshiba said:

I think this says more about him than the message board.  I think the not allowing facts to change ones mind is his mindset and he projects it to others.  I have had my mind changed by facts presented to me on this forum.

Yup.  I've changed my perspective quite a bit over the last 2-3 years thanks in part to this Forum. Used to be center-left and pro-capitalism, but you people have turned me into Karl Marx.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, TobiasFunke said:
11 minutes ago, toshiba said:

Yup.  I've changed my perspective quite a bit over the last 2-3 years thanks in part to this Forum. Used to be center-left and pro-capitalism, but you people have turned me into Karl Marx.

:lol:  Nice!

Listened to the Dem candidate for Georgia Governor this morning - Stacey Abrams. Great candidate, running against a guy who is pulling some serious bull####. Sure it's been discussed in here. Race is razor thin.

The Republican is also Secretary of State is holding 53,000 voter registrations, 70% from African Americans, on a ridiculous technicality--throw back to the days in Georgia before the voting rights bill passed in the 60's.  People can vote with a provisional ballot, and I hope they have the knowledge when they get to the polls to insist on voting. 

Typically a Secretary of State who was running for another office would step down from the Office that administered and enforced voting laws.  Not this guy.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, timschochet said:

Isn’t this a logical conclusion for those who consider abortion murder? I’ve always thought so. 

If you regard abortion as undesirable death, then it’s okay simply to call for it to be illegal. But once you start calling abortion murder, then logically you should be in favor of punishments similar to other murders: Long imprisonment or life imprisonment or the death penalty. 

Is there going to be a police investigation of miscarriages?

14 minutes ago, Thunderlips said:
13 hours ago, timschochet said:

Isn’t this a logical conclusion for those who consider abortion murder? I’ve always thought so. 

If you regard abortion as undesirable death, then it’s okay simply to call for it to be illegal. But once you start calling abortion murder, then logically you should be in favor of punishments similar to other murders: Long imprisonment or life imprisonment or the death penalty. 

Is there going to be a police investigation of miscarriages?

I would imagine that anyone who thinks abortion is murder would want that, no?

1 hour ago, squistion said:

Joe Biden:

“I predict to you the Democrats will win 40 seats in the House. And I predict to you there's a slightly better than even chance we win the Senate.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/biden-predicts-dems-will-win-40-house-seats-take-back-n918596

Enough with the patting the Dems on the back, Joe. You want their voters to show up this time. Haven't you learned from 2016?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, msommer said:

Enough with the patting the Dems on the back, Joe. You want their voters to show up this time. Haven't you learned from 2016?

Saw that earlier today and thought the exact same thing.  Be quiet Joe.

I am much more pessimistic about the Dems chances this fall in both the Senate and House than I have been in some time.

Dems seem in disarray, hoping anti-Trumpism will carry them - instead of bringing a coherent message.

I have lived in my district for 12 years now - 6 with a Dem, and 6 with a GOP representative.  Its a solid purple district, includes Lexington, solid blue, and rural counties, solid red.  Amy McGrath defeated a popular Dem Mayor in the primary, but I am seeing almost no visible enthusiasm for her - her ads are not compelling, Andy Barr signs are popping up like weeds, but I can't get a McGrath sign because they did not print enough...

I am worried the Dems are banking on a blue wave, without putting in the work to make it happen.

2 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

I am worried the Dems are banking on a blue wave, without putting in the work to make it happen.

That would never happen. The Democrats have been aces at assessing the current political environment and engaging sound strategy and tactics accordingly.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

I am much more pessimistic about the Dems chances this fall in both the Senate and House than I have been in some time.

Dems seem in disarray, hoping anti-Trumpism will carry them - instead of bringing a coherent message.

I have lived in my district for 12 years now - 6 with a Dem, and 6 with a GOP representative.  Its a solid purple district, includes Lexington, solid blue, and rural counties, solid red.  Amy McGrath defeated a popular Dem Mayor in the primary, but I am seeing almost no visible enthusiasm for her - her ads are not compelling, Andy Barr signs are popping up like weeds, but I can't get a McGrath sign because they did not print enough...

McGrath wins that

4 hours ago, squistion said:

Joe Biden:

“I predict to you the Democrats will win 40 seats in the House. And I predict to you there's a slightly better than even chance we win the Senate.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/biden-predicts-dems-will-win-40-house-seats-take-back-n918596

Joe, you don't understand the current politics in American.  This is why you shouldn't be our nominee in 2020.

Edited by toshiba
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, joffer said:

McGrath wins that

I'll be pleasantly surprised - just going on enthusiasm factor, she is behind right now.

ETA - and this is the type of district the Dems should carry if there is a blue wave.

Edited by Sinn Fein
15 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

I'll be pleasantly surprised - just going on enthusiasm factor, she is behind right now.

ETA - and this is the type of district the Dems should carry if there is a blue wave.

Primary turnout was really lopsided.  Just one indicator, but young woman veteran is the absolute best demographic to be this November.

Just now, joffer said:

Primary turnout was really lopsided.  Just one indicator, but young woman veteran is the absolute best demographic to be this November.

:shrug:  I live here. 

She is over-matched right now.  Barr is better organized, and seems to have more money.  I'll be happy if she wins.  But I think she is facing an uphill battle - and while she has combat experience, she is not prepared for this fight.

9 hours ago, toshiba said:

Ya, whatever. You totally missed my point about minds being changed on opinions/beliefs and instead chose to make a broad stroke statement about me. Not in the least surprised to see you do that. The two specific things I mentioned were abortion and race. These issues are not not fact-based discussions so facts, where these are concerned, are irrelevant. There are others, but it doesn't matter. If there was truly a factual thing I was simply incorrect on, of course I would change my mind. I seriously don't understand how you think your take on me has any merit. You totally whiffed. Again.

8 minutes ago, T J said:
10 hours ago, toshiba said:

Ya, whatever. You totally missed my point about minds being changed on opinions/beliefs and instead chose to make a broad stroke statement about me. Not in the least surprised to see you do that. The two specific things I mentioned were abortion and race. These issues are not not fact-based discussions so facts, where these are concerned, are irrelevant. There are others, but it doesn't matter. If there was truly a factual thing I was simply incorrect on, of course I would change my mind. I seriously don't understand how you think your take on me has any merit. You totally whiffed. Again.

Wow you seem a bit hysterical and unhinged about this. 

I am just some random dude on a message board talking to a bunch of other random dudes on a message board, if I am wrong about why you think the way you do I think we both can just shrug and move on.  I just think a lot of people tend to see the world in the way they see themselves.  But I am willing to accept facts that might lead to me changing my mind ;)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

McGrath isn't all that compelling from a progressive standpoint. She's another incrementalist who describes herself as a fiscal conservative and hasn't endorsed Medicare for All, she is trying to sell coal as a still viable fuel, etc. This is a moment for big ideas and selling them passionately not pandering and trying to have it both ways. I won't be surprised if the semiconservative loses to the full on conservative. It happens all the time.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, squistion said:

Joe Biden:

He predicted Hillary would win, so not the best track record!

2 hours ago, toshiba said:

Wow you seem a bit hysterical and unhinged about this. 

I am just some random dude on a message board talking to a bunch of other random dudes on a message board, if I am wrong about why you think the way you do I think we both can just shrug and move on.  I just think a lot of people tend to see the world in the way they see themselves.  But I am willing to accept facts that might lead to me changing my mind ;)

Hysterical and unhinged? Seriously? Wow....just wow. You are legitimately not worth reading anymore.

8 hours ago, T J said:

Hysterical and unhinged? Seriously? Wow....just wow. You are legitimately not worth reading anymore.

I must say....You really are steadfast about not letting facts sway your opinion.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Epic Problem said:

I must say....You really are steadfast about not letting facts sway your opinion.

Methinks you’re applying the term “facts” to something it won’t ever apply to. Cold hard facts won’t change a person’s take on something like race, but an experience might. Cold hard facts won’t change a person’s mind on something like abortion, but an experience might. So yes, my mind can be changed, but not by a statistic. 

While Democrats ostensibly agreed to help the GOP ram through judges in order to allow vulnerable Democrats to return home and campaign through the Nov. 6 midterm elections, progressives argued that Democrats are making a massive political mistake by refusing to use all of the tools at their disposal to combat the right-wing takeover of the judicial system, which will have severe ramifications for women, people of color, the planet, and the poor far into the future.

New Yorker writer Osita Nwanevu was among many commentators suggestingthat Democrats easily could have allowed red-state Democrats facing tough re-election campaigns to return home while the rest of the Senate Democratic caucus remained to fight Trump's nominees, but Schumer opted to fully cave to McConnell instead.

'This Is Pathetic': Progressives Furious as Schumer Rubber Stamps 15 More Right-Wing Judges for Trump

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

While Democrats ostensibly agreed to help the GOP ram through judges in order to allow vulnerable Democrats to return home and campaign through the Nov. 6 midterm elections, progressives argued that Democrats are making a massive political mistake by refusing to use all of the tools at their disposal to combat the right-wing takeover of the judicial system, which will have severe ramifications for women, people of color, the planet, and the poor far into the future.

New Yorker writer Osita Nwanevu was among many commentators suggestingthat Democrats easily could have allowed red-state Democrats facing tough re-election campaigns to return home while the rest of the Senate Democratic caucus remained to fight Trump's nominees, but Schumer opted to fully cave to McConnell instead.

'This Is Pathetic': Progressives Furious as Schumer Rubber Stamps 15 More Right-Wing Judges for Trump

I agree with the larger point, but I’m skeptical of those who criticize without getting into the nuts and bolts of how the Dems could have delayed the nominations. I’m not entirely clear on the details myself, but I saw one person claim that they only needed one person to stay behind, and that person was immediately corrected by someone claiming they’d need at least 30 Senators due to obscure rules about debate. And I’m not even sure that would do it.

This stuff is pretty complex and admittedly not that many people know exactly how it works. But it’s not impenetrable, and “why don’t you do X” is a much more effective argument than a vague “do something.”

18 hours ago, toshiba said:
22 hours ago, squistion said:

Joe Biden:

Joe, you don't understand the current politics in American.  This is why you shouldn't be our nominee in 2020.

On a serious note, this is true. I like Presidents who are good at estimating probabilities. It's kind of important when making decisions with large geopolitical implications. I'd be comfortable voting for Nate Silver over Joe Biden if that were the choice.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, the moops said:
47 minutes ago, The Indestructible said:

Looks like that angry dude is down by double digits

Talk about unhinged and hysterical!

3 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

On a serious note, this is true. I like Presidents who are good at estimating probabilities. It's kind of important when making decisions with large geopolitical implications. I'd be comfortable voting for Nate Silver over Joe Biden if that were the choice.

President Silver would get annoying after a while. 

“Mr. President, will you sign the tax bill?”

”At present, there’s an 80% likelihood that I will...”

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, toshiba said:

23 minutes ago, the moops said:
1 hour ago, The Indestructible said:

Looks like that angry dude is down by double digits

Talk about unhinged and hysterical!

That's probably the most reasonable ad he's run.