What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Mid-Year Song Draft - Round 9 this AM, Round 10/all owed picks this afternoon. (1 Viewer)

We could theoretically do this to fill the time until @Eephus Summerpalooza kicks off on the 4th... 
It would follow the format of the draft in here and be simply one 2018 song each per day. Cut it off at 10 rounds, a quick promotion of our favourite songs of the year so far, with just enough time to listen/discuss. I'm going to do this post and @ a bunch of people and then it will either fly or not...

Round 1 - Anytime Tuesday June 26 - this will establish who is in and let people get their bearings.

Round 2 - Anytime before 3 PM EST Wednesday June 27

Round 3 - Anytime after 3 PM EST Wednesday June 27

Round 4 - Anytime before 3 PM EST Thursday June 28

Round 5 - Anytime after 3 PM EST Thursday June 28

Round 6 - Anytime Friday June 29

Round 7 - Anytime Saturday June 30

Round 8 - Anytime Sunday July 1

Round 9 - Anytime before 3 PM EST Monday July 2

Round 10 - Anytime after 3 PM EST Monday July 2

@Jaysus  @El Floppo   @Steve Tasker  @KarmaPolice   @The Dreaded Marco  @Ilov80s   @kupcho1   @D_House   @dal_boys_phan   @rockaction   @Buckfast 1   @ShamrockPride   @irishidiot   @Abrantes   @drpill   @JZilla   @AhrnCityPahnder    @Nick Vermeil   @MikeIke   @Nigel Tufnel    @ericttspikes    @Fiddles    @Good Posting Judge   @bosoxs45   @Brony    @wazoo11   @Eephus

I'm not sure I've been listening to enough new music to this point to really do it justice, but I'm sure I can come up with 10 songs.

Same here -- out but will follow. New music knowledge is not my strength. I have like one new song, and that's it. Thanks, NV.  
I'm in the same boat, but will probably chime in if properly medicated but that is really hit or miss.   Will follow-thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Can't do it, but looking forward to the draft and hopefully it kicks my ads in gear on listening to music.  Not sure if I've listened to 3 new albums in the last 4 months or so.  

Alright, there's enough intetest to kick this off tomorrow. Everyone's posted in here so they'll see the star thing, I think we'll just keep this one thread. I'll update the thread title and post a spreadsheet tonight or tomorrow. 

Round 1 picks can be made any time tomorrow. Latecomers welcome as always. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Goes without saying that the vocal masterclass on display in the chorus makes this the song of the year, and maybe the GOAT.

Greatest backing vocal work ever round 1- death will bring change- parquet courts
ok my music friends... have to share my busting pride here too- floppinho just an hour ago (on the last day of public school here in NYC) got in to something called the Special Music School for middle school and high school (if he wants to continue there). this is like juliard for tots- public, free, fantastic academics along with private music lessons, theory etc up the wazoo. only 15 kids per grade/class (most difficult school to get into in NYC) and I mentioned the free music lessons (with a guy we've been paying for lesson with already). this is a russian origin school, so it's gonna get heavy quick... but this kid is ready for it. plus he just signed up to play Rolling Stones at School of Rock next fall. busting at the seams with pride and joy over this kid... 

I'm going off the board with a song that's from another era both literally and figuratively.

1.xx Ruen Brothers - Aces

The Ruen Brothers are a pair of brothers from S####horpe who have been around for five years before releasing their debut album this year.  "Aces" came out as a single way back in 2013; the production was rawer but the quality was obvious enough to attract industry attention.  The boys continued to write and record and released another version of "Aces" in 2015 with Rick Rubin producing.  It took them until this year to get enough material for a LP and it was worth the wait.  I think the 2018 album release makes it eligible here.

Their sound is roots based but polished like a candy apple red hot rod.  It reminds me a bit of how the music of early rockabilly pioneers like Elvis and Johnny Burnette got sweetened for mass consumption in the late 50s and early 60s.  The simple guitar riff in the intro and behind the verse hooks you in, then Henry Ruen's soaring vocal in the chorus takes the song to another level.  It's probably going to mess with the flow of the playlist so sue me.

I'm going off the board with a song that's from another era both literally and figuratively.

The Ruen Brothers are a pair of brothers from S####horpe who have been around for five years before releasing their debut album this year.  "Aces" came out as a single way back in 2013; the production was rawer but the quality was obvious enough to attract industry attention.  The boys continued to write and record and released another version of "Aces" in 2015 with Rick Rubin producing.  It took them until this year to get enough material for a LP and it was worth the wait.  I think the 2018 album release makes it eligible here.

Their sound is roots based but polished like a candy apple red hot rod.  It reminds me a bit of how the music of early rockabilly pioneers like Elvis and Johnny Burnette got sweetened for mass consumption in the late 50s and early 60s.  The simple guitar riff in the intro and behind the verse hooks you in, then Henry Ruen's soaring vocal in the chorus takes the song to another level.  It's probably going to mess with the flow of the playlist so sue me.
I can see why

The Ruen Brothers are a pair of brothers from S####horpe ...  I think the 2018 album release makes it eligible here.
:thumbup:  A couple songs picked already, including mine, technically first appeared in late 2017 as well but were too late in the year to get much notice and were leads to 2018 albums. And :lol:  at that edit - I had to Google to see what city they were from.

ok my music friends... have to share my busting pride here too- floppinho just an hour ago (on the last day of public school here in NYC) got in to something called the Special Music School for middle school and high school (if he wants to continue there). this is like juliard for tots- public, free, fantastic academics along with private music lessons, theory etc up the wazoo. only 15 kids per grade/class (most difficult school to get into in NYC) and I mentioned the free music lessons (with a guy we've been paying for lesson with already). this is a russian origin school, so it's gonna get heavy quick... but this kid is ready for it. plus he just signed up to play Rolling Stones at School of Rock next fall. busting at the seams with pride and joy over this kid... 
That is really awesome, congrats.

I've been driving Lyft in San Fran for six months

My listening habits have devolved into: Pop radio when I have a rider, the heaviest #### I can take when I don't

Round 1:  In My View / Young Fathers

For now here's some Pitchfork, more on the video (embedded in the article)

The biracial Edinburgh rap trio Young Fathers has long sought to challenge and outright defy classification, so much so that their last album was called White Men Are Black Men Too. Their new song, “In My View,” from the forthcoming album Cocoa Sugar, continues to test perceptions, packed with little provocations. Downtempo and monochromatic, the song is a hybrid, half-sung and half-spoken, as disembodied voices creak and echo. “In my view/Nothing’s ever given away/I believe/To advance then you must pay,” Alloysious Massaquoi sings as drums scutter beneath whirring synth notes. “I wanna be king until I am/A man is just a man, I understand,” “G” Hastings adds. An overarching theme comes into focus: Everything isn’t what it’s made out to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I just invited anyone who was in the previous draft here and anyone who'd posted on the last three or four pages of the best albums of 2018 thread.
Thanks, man. Unlike Eeph, that draft teasing song blocker, you sir are good and reliable.

I never got out of summer mode so my 10 will probably be an 18 version of summer-ish type music. 

So I'll start with Jack Black air guitaring George Benson on Venice Beach.

1. Gorillaz - Humility

It reminds me a bit of how the music of early rockabilly pioneers.
I did a day trip to Virginia City just after you started the western films thread (coincidentally). The timing was nice considering that conversation. I stopped short of entering one of the dozen plus redundant gift shops because an old woman dressed like a saloon girl was at the cash register singing beautifully to an old country tune. I just wanted to listen but she noticed me in a mirror and stopped. I walked in, complimented her voice, and asked her please not to stop on account of me. I explained I'm not a big country fan but that old tune sounded perfect in this setting. She said, "Darlin' that sounds so good to you because it ain't country. It's rockabilly."

Thanks, man. Unlike Eeph, that draft teasing song blocker, you sir are good and reliable.

I never got out of summer mode so my 10 will probably be an 18 version of summer-ish type music. 

So I'll start with Jack Black air guitaring George Benson on Venice Beach.

1. Gorillaz - Humility
I have high hopes for the new Gorillaz album, this is the best lead single of their last few.

Awesome, flop. Too bad it was in this thread and I barely happened to catch it; it deserves its own. You should be proud, mang.   

Irons HOT!

Users who are viewing this thread