Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2018 Mid-Year Song Draft - Round 9 this AM, Round 10/all owed picks this afternoon.

1 hour ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

If I'm counting correctly, this is his 13th proper album.  I'm not a huge fan of the past few but this is one is a strong return to form.

3.xx Eels - The Deconstruction

Agreed. He made my "18 folder" for this draft. I don't have an order so not necessarily a snipe nor had I chosen a track. But I seem to be a title track kinda guy with new releases.

• Like 1

My morning pick, going back to that Gaslight Anthem well for another year

Round 4 - Brian Fallon - Etta James

In a story in RS, Brian notes that he wanted to reference similar to what they did on 80's hip-hop.  With this love song, he wanted to make that reference as to how he felt for the other person, which he felt was always communicated in Etta James' songs.

Full RS Article

• Like 2

I don't choose bands that have been taken. A little more challenging with a 1/2 year releases draft, but not really. I want to get something off Calexico's The Thread That Keeps Us drafted. My problem is picking a track. There's more hits than misses for me. There's plenty of approachable soft alt rock that works for me. But I'm taking

4. Eyes Wide Awake Calexico

If you haven't listened to the album don't judge it on my oddball taste. If you like my oddball taste you might not like the rest of it.

2 hours ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

If I'm counting correctly, this is his 13th proper album.  I'm not a huge fan of the past few but this is one is a strong return to form.

3.xx Eels - The Deconstruction

2 hours ago, JZilla said:

My last night's/third rounder, we talked about about this one recently in the other thread, it's a stomper

Protomartyr (feat Kelley Deal) - Wheel of Fortune

Back in a few hours with #4

2 hours ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

Just realized we're doing two-a-days, so I owe a 4th rounder.  This is another band that overhauled their sound quite a lot for the new album.  I like the direction they've gone.

4.xx  Ought - Disgraced in America

TRIPLE SNIPED! :lol:

• Like 1

On 12/12/2017 at 7:26 PM, El Floppo said:

felt like having a slow-building epic in my list. one of the crazier speak-and-spell sounding intros (outside of kraftwerk) considering where it goes- but I dug it the first time I heard it and keep digging.

12.... negative space- hookworms

17 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Lol... Pretty sure I drafted this exact song in last year's singles draft.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chaos Commish said:

I don't choose bands that have been taken.

That is my plan too... I'm using this playlist to find some fun stuff I missed while it is still "new"

4 hours ago, rockaction said:

I instantly liked this band, too. Jaysus is killing this draft.  How to: Friend, Love, Freefall sounds just great so far.  So did Mayday. 

Just a voice from the wilderness of new music and appreciation.  

:thumbup:

I finally got to catch the Eels live last month, twas super fun.  (Can I say twas?)  

I like the new one too.  It's pretty chill, musically anyway.  He's been churning out some good tracks all through the years, but along with it plenty of filler.

Edited by JZilla
  • Like 3

My 4th pick/ Thursday morning

Probably not in much danger of getting sniped on this one.  I like it to round out my first four.. I've got some new age hardcore proggy ####, stoner/doom, a weird one and now these old guys.  Stashed on a recent EP, I think this is the best track since their heyday 18 damn years ago and at least hangs with the best stuff by Mars Volta or Sparta

At The Drive In - Despondent At High Noon

(been part of a solid one-two punch following Six Wave Hold Down ever since I set up my 2018 list)

• Like 2

Round 5:  Bone Dry / Eels

I'll add the link later.  

I went back and forth on which Eels song to put on my 2018 playlist (self imposed rule of only 1 track per artist) between Bone Dry and The Deconstruction.  Eventually settled on Bone Dry, so thanks @The Dreaded Marco for leaving it for me. :)

Shooby dooby dooby doo.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

Thanks to @drpill for bringing this album to my attention:

5.xx  Bonny Doon - Long Wave

It has an Ultimate Painting and Sky Blue Sky-era Wilco vibe that I love. 

Nice. They have popped up on my Spotify and I haven't really dived in yet. Kind of a YLT vibe in a good way.

7 minutes ago, D_House said:

Rd 4: Iceage ft Sky Ferreira - Pain Killer

Yep, was definitely taking this one. 

Round 6 today, rounds 7/8 over the weekend. I'm not picky about when rounds 7 and 8 come in.

We'll leave just round 6 on the board for this morning but I know not everyone checks in on weekends, so if you want to post 7/8 this afternoon/evening, no big deal, I'll likely shuffle this playlist on the weekend anyway. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JZilla said:

My 4th pick/ Thursday morning

Probably not in much danger of getting sniped on this one.  I like it to round out my first four.. I've got some new age hardcore proggy ####, stoner/doom, a weird one and now these old guys.  Stashed on a recent EP, I think this is the best track since their heyday 18 damn years ago and at least hangs with the best stuff by Mars Volta or Sparta

At The Drive In - Despondent At High Noon

(been part of a solid one-two punch following Six Wave Hold Down ever since I set up my 2018 list)

Really liked this on first listen :thumbup:

• Like 1

On 6/25/2018 at 7:16 PM, Northern Voice said:

Alright, there's enough intetest to kick this off tomorrow. Everyone's posted in here so they'll see the star thing, I think we'll just keep this one thread. I'll update the thread title and post a spreadsheet tonight or tomorrow. 

Round 1 picks can be made any time tomorrow. Latecomers welcome as always. 

Can you add a link to that post in the OP?

On 6/26/2018 at 6:52 AM, Ilov80s said:

Since I’m up early, I’ll kick this thing off:

Rd 1 Superchunk- What a Time to Be Alive

To see the rot in no disguise
Oh what a time to be alive
The scum, the shame, the ####### lies

Thanks to you, I now love this song!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

Yeah I figured we can’t do a 2018 song draft without that song which really encapsulates the year so far.

Other than the chorus, as much as I loved that song from the get go, I never even listened to the lyrics. Thanks to your op, I'll need to.

6 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Other than the chorus, as much as I loved that song from the get go, I never even listened to the lyrics. Thanks to your op, I'll need to.

Yeah, I am not always a lyrics guy... I often prefer the sound of vocals to the content of the lyrics.  I'll check them out next time it shuffles though...