What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Mid-Year Song Draft - Round 9 this AM, Round 10/all owed picks this afternoon. (2 Viewers)

End Canadian Power Pop Tariffs Now

Donald J. Trump‏  @realDonaldTrump

PM Justin Trudeau of Canada acted so meek and mild during our @G7 meetings only to give a news conference after I left saying that, “US Tariffs were kind of insulting” and he “will not be pushed around.” Very dishonest & weak. Our Tariffs are in response to his of 270% on Power Pop!
6.xx Sloan - "Spin Our Wheels"

Like Blondie met Spoon a bit. Minimalistic funk with the tension of Debbie Harry handling vocals. Well done.     
That song is definitely less psych-y than a lot of the rest of their stuff.  I've seen them live a few times, they're definitely different.  She has a weirdly "distant" stage presence and wore a wedding dress on-stage last time I saw them.  Guitarist Nick Kivlen (the guy who looks like a young Dylan) steals the show when they play live, he's one hell of a guitarist.

That song is definitely less psych-y than a lot of the rest of their stuff.  I've seen them live a few times, they're definitely different.  She has a weirdly "distant" stage presence and wore a wedding dress on-stage last time I saw them.  Guitarist Nick Kivlen (the guy who looks like a young Dylan) steals the show when they play live, he's one hell of a guitarist.
Thought he looked like Dylan. Loved his guitar cord. I'm not familiar with their oeuvre, they're psych? It would make sense with their name. In keeping, as it were.  

Regarding Reggae

Protoje's new album dropped today and sounds pretty good on first spin.  "No Guarantee" probably won't make my short list but it's worth 3:40 of your time if you like reggae
See that one doesn't really work for me and my particular use of Reggae (ska, jazz, classical, low fi, trip hop, trance, other instrumentals). It's all background music. Reggae is comforting when 5 songs in a row sound like one long song with deviations after the break. The others listed do that too. Background music. Not great for a singles draft, or any draft, but perfect for multi-tasking.

See that one doesn't really work for me and my particular use of Reggae (ska, jazz, classical, low fi, trip hop, trance, other instrumentals). It's all background music. Reggae is comforting when 5 songs in a row sound like one long song with deviations after the break. The others listed do that too. Background music. Not great for a singles draft, or any draft, but perfect for multi-tasking.
Jamaican Reggae has been dominated by Dancehall for the past 25 years or so.  Dancehall is a tough sub-genre for American audiences to appreciate--the rhythms are usually like bad hip hop and the lyrics have so much slang and Patois to be almost incomprehensible.

Protoje's music still has elements of Dancehall and modern R&B but is relatable to audiences who like their Reggae retro.  His mother Lorna Bennett reached #1 on the Jamaican charts with the Rocksteady classic "Breakfast in Bed".  The toasting version "Skank in Bed" is even better.

Jamaican Reggae has been dominated by Dancehall for the past 25 years or so.  Dancehall is a tough sub-genre for American audiences to appreciate--the rhythms are usually like bad hip hop and the lyrics have so much slang and Patois to be almost incomprehensible.

Protoje's music still has elements of Dancehall and modern R&B but is relatable to audiences who like their Reggae retro.  His mother Lorna Bennett reached #1 on the Jamaican charts with the Rocksteady classic "Breakfast in Bed".  The toasting version "Skank in Bed" is even better.
couple of teammates on the college soccer team were jamaican... one of them turned me on to this mashup of at the time current dance-hall guys. was my go-to, get them dancing, party album for a bunch of years.

Make up pick for Round 5 from yesterday - St. Paul & The Broken Bones - Apollo

Just out, but liked it instantly when I heard it earlier this week.

For my Round 6 pick, I'll go with Kacey Musgraves' Slow Burn (from SNL) to bring it down a notch.  What a great voice and have liked all of her material so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only weirdos snipe me. Love An Angel Fell. I wanted to end with jazz. So the super group it is thanks.
Ha, I did not think I was sniping there 

Also, there are a lot of people here who don't listen to jazz and should give this a spin. It's a good track. 

The whole Born Ruffians album is great IMO. 
Yeah, I've been going down that rabbit hole and enjoying it immensely. Same with Rainbow Kitten Surprise. Born Ruffians remind me of the M's in the aughts. Rainbow Kitten Surprise reminds me of Modest Mouse with a different singer, which is a compliment and a drawback all in the same breath. 

Isaac Brock is singular.  Instantly gravitate toward both bands' (MM and RKS) grandiosity.

As for the other, I love Born Ruffians' harmonies.  

Ok, I don't expect to be around this weekend, so in the interest of making the playlist more weekend-able for NV, here are picks 7 & 8 from me:

Spanish Love Songs - Sequels, Remakes, & Adaptations
I'm at the family cottage, had some afternoon pints and my wife is going for a nap, time to shuffle through some songs. 

This was first, I love it. Hits the pop-punk sweet point for me, just a little rough, just a little emo. Titus Andronicus meets the Wonder Years (that's totally spotlighting, someone draft these bands). 

Since I’m up early, I’ll kick this thing off:

Rd 1 Superchunk- What a Time to Be Alive

To see the rot in no disguise
Oh what a time to be alive
The scum, the shame, the ####### lies
Neither the band or song are new to me but totally worthy of being the first pick. Awesome that these guys are as (more?) relative than ever 20+ years in. 

I recommend Our Noise - the story of Merge Records for the readers in the group. 

Rd 4 - Lane 8 - "No Captain (feat. Poliça)"

More brooding, haunting electronic music, this time more deep house-y than synth-poppy.  I'm a sucker for Polica. 
Usually deep house would probably be a warning sign for me but I think Policy brings enough pop to put this safely in my confort zone. It has the slow builds that I really love, they stay more atmospheric in a really good way, rather than ever reaching the one big moment. 

No time to think, so will go with an obvious one on my end...

Part 2

Collosus- IDLES
I love the foreboding sound of the first minute or so of this song. You know an IDLES song  is coming but you have to wait a while as it builds up. As the instruments get louder, the singer gets more urgent, and then suddenly back to nothing and then one last freakout.  This is just really great. Some Nine Inch Nails influence?

Kacey Musgraves' Slow Burn (from SNL) to bring it down a notch.  What a great voice and have liked all of her material so far.
I like Kacey Musgraves a lot and this is a really good song. There is a lot of country these days away from new country garbage that I can really get into (Musgraves, Isbell, Sturgill, Stapleton, Miranda Lambert, etc...). 

This sort of singer songwriter ballad with the hint of steel guitar and just a bit of twang is timeless. 

Users who are viewing this thread