Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2018 Mid-Year Song Draft - Round 9 this AM, Round 10/all owed picks this afternoon.

On 28/06/2018 at 10:06 AM, JZilla said:

My last night's/third rounder, we talked about about this one recently in the other thread, it's a stomper

Protomartyr (feat Kelley Deal) - Wheel of Fortune

Back in a few hours with #4

So, uhhhhh, this is kind of a really heavy Hold Steady song, right? With Kelley Deal and maybe more melodic background singing. It's absolutely great, just wondering if this is typical and I have to go listen to all the Protomartyr now...

On 28/06/2018 at 1:31 AM, The Dreaded Marco said:

Another excellent album from these guys. Their 4th and each is pretty different, all great.

2.xx  Hookworms - Negative Space

Yeah, this song is ridiculously good. I don't know how I haven't listened to this band more. It's so completely in the centre of everything I love. There's a Spoon-ish indie rock song buried in the centre of this, improved on by the strange synths, big guitars, group vocals, saxophone? solo, and great drumming. 

• Like 1

On 26/06/2018 at 5:15 PM, dal_boys_phan said:

Round 1:  A Little Honey - Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats

Spotify Link

Great little tune, with some horns and a lot of soul. 

I really love Nathaniel Rateliff, song isn't new to me, play the hell out of this album. What he's doing doesn't seem innovative but why has no one done it this well in like 40 years. I think he adds a fair bit of rock to the soul, that really wins me over vs. some of the other new-soul revival or whatever we're calling this these days. 

• Like 1

On 27/06/2018 at 8:18 AM, Jaysus said:

My favorite song from my favorite new band of the year:  Mt. Joy - Silver Lining

So, I didn't recognize this by make but it's actually not new to me, they get played on one of the Sirius channels I listen to. Nice indie rock song, guy has a cool voice and sings mostly over acoustic guitar about relateable subjects like women, wine and weed. 

• Like 1

On 28/06/2018 at 11:55 AM, dal_boys_phan said:

My morning pick, going back to that Gaslight Anthem well for another year

Round 4 - Brian Fallon - Etta James

In a story in RS, Brian notes that he wanted to reference similar to what they did on 80's hip-hop.  With this love song, he wanted to make that reference as to how he felt for the other person, which he felt was always communicated in Etta James' songs.

Full RS Article

Recognizable as Brian Fallon from the first note, this sounds a bit fuller than most of his solo stuff, which tends to be a bit folkier, this sounds like a Gaslight Anthem song, which is good. 

I have tickets to see Gaslight Anthem play the '59 sound in full August 9th in Toronto. 

Edited by Northern Voice
  • Like 1

On 28/06/2018 at 9:14 AM, Northern Voice said:

Cheating a bit with a late 2017 song, but this song has been the #1 rock song in Canada for three weeks, so it is certainly "of 2018". Bonus marks for working in "Itty Bitty Titty Committee" without it sounding completely ridiculous.

Round 4 - The Beaches - T-Shirt

I'm not giving it back, like a kleptomaniac

I'm not giving it back, like a dirty kleptocrat

I'M NOT GIVING IT BAAAAAAAACK

• Like 1

On 28/06/2018 at 10:36 AM, The Dreaded Marco said:

If I'm counting correctly, this is his 13th proper album.  I'm not a huge fan of the past few but this is one is a strong return to form.

3.xx Eels - The Deconstruction

Marco's comment basically nails this one. I like the Eels and love Electro-Shock Blues but haven't kept up too much with their recent output, this song is as good as anything from their peak though

On 27/06/2018 at 9:32 PM, Eephus said:

3.xx Shame - "Concrete"

If you fed all 1979-81 UK post-punk into a sausage machine, this song would be extruded out the other end.

Yep, very much of its era... that era being 35 year ago. The "I hope that you're hearing me" chorus and the "no more no more" follow up are catchy as hell, and then back to the post punk vocals over noodly guitars. 

• Like 1

On 29/06/2018 at 2:41 PM, Steve Tasker said:

Rd 6 - Sunflower Bean - "Memoria"

Here's a nifty little live version.

A band I've gotten more into over the past year or so, likely prompted by a Tasker recommendation at the start. I'm pretty sure girls run the indie rock world right now. This is great indie rock guitar with a great voice and lovely melodies, tough for dudes to replicate. 

• Like 1

On 26/06/2018 at 3:41 PM, The Dreaded Marco said:

Kind of feel like taking this band first:

1.xx  Mastersystem - Notes On A Life Not Quite Lived

Pretty prophetic title.  Damn.

I was really looking forward to seeing these guys on tour.  The whole album is quite good.

Not much I can say on this one, I think Scott Hutchison related to his fans and audience unlike many other 'frontmen' or singer songwriters. He's basically the same age as me. I loved this new heavier direction, basically Hutchison fronting a 90s grunge band. So much potential. Even here, the lyrics sound like a Frightened Rabbit song, he sure had a style of writing and yeah, way too much of it was prophetic. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

Just poured G & T #1 and hit play.  Should be a good night. 

I’ve got family here so I have to make the sure the music is popular enough for the crowd but soon I’ll switch over.

9 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Beers flowing on the lake, it’s got to be like a 100 real feel. I’m hoping to slip the playlist on soon. 

8 minutes ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

Just poured G & T #1 and hit play.  Should be a good night. 

After my "last" post, my mom brought out the long island iced teas :oldunsure::banned:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

Recognizable as Brian Fallon from the first note, this sounds a bit fuller than most of his solo stuff, which tends to be a bit folkier, this sounds like a Gaslight Anthem song, which is good. 

I have tickets to see Gaslight Anthem play the '59 sound in full August 9th in Toronto. 

Seeing TGA in August at the Stone Pony SummerStage.

:hifive:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

This is really good, surprisingly not too far off the last song, maybe more aggressive than most Lucero songs? I saw these guys at 2014 Riot Fest and loved them but have never gone deeper, I really should. 

Lucero’s “Live From Atlanta” set turned me into a big fan.  Had randomly seen them before in concert as an opener for THS, but that album made me seek out their shows each time through NYC/NJ/Philadelphia.

• Like 2

Posting my weekend selections...rock on...

Round 7 - Greta Van Fleet - Safari Song

Was released late in 2017, but reached #1 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock chart in February 2018.  If that is too much of a stretch to include here, I’ll make another selection.  Still mad I missed the onsale for when they played Starland Ballroom a few weeks ago - would have been a good show.

Round 8 - Judas Priest - Firepower

Still rocking after all these years

Edited by dal_boys_phan
  • Like 3

Nice mix thus far.

I don't remember who picked what but some of my favorite new discoveries include Shame, Goat Girl, Jeff Rosenstock, The Green Child, Germany Germany and Rainbow Kitten Surprise.  Plenty of other good songs from artists I'm already familiar with but hadn't yet heard from this year. 

Keep up the good work :thumbup: 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

So, uhhhhh, this is kind of a really heavy Hold Steady song, right? With Kelley Deal and maybe more melodic background singing. It's absolutely great, just wondering if this is typical and I have to go listen to all the Protomartyr now...

I checked out the whole EP and it is interesting but this song is A+++.  I don't know much about em.  Like Octopus they are also from Detroit :shrug:

Same Face In A Different Mirror

• Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 1:40 PM, El Floppo said:

couple of teammates on the college soccer team were jamaican... one of them turned me on to this mashup of at the time current dance-hall guys. was my go-to, get them dancing, party album for a bunch of years.

I made it through 9 minutes of this and was all Dancehalled out.  If I had an air horn, I could have lasted a few more minutes.

2 BOOM WAH DIS

• Like 1

On 6/30/2018 at 1:30 PM, Northern Voice said:

I love the foreboding sound of the first minute or so of this song. You know an IDLES song  is coming but there's nothing you can do about it

Fixed

• Like 2

I listened to the playlist on my bike ride between WC games on Saturday.  I had no idea what was playing but it sounded great. 

Spain Russia going to extra time messed me up today.  I should have just gotten out :rolleyes:

Round 8:  Eat Sleep Rave Repeat - Northlane Remix / Fatboy Slim, Northlane

Remix from Fatboy Slim vs. Australia.  

I'll add the link later (back Thursday).  Northlane seems like an Aussie band @JZilla might like; really punches up the tune.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

I like me some Grande but this song is turrible. 

I think it's a strong dance pop song but I know that isn't a genre everyone here is going to like. I also like it as a powerful and positive statement with it being the first song she wrote and recorded since the terror attack at her May 2017 concert 

Makeup for yesterday

8. Death Cab for Cutie - Gold Rush

Today's

9. Only Sun - Indigo

I really like the DCfC song, so I don't care if you don't. I stumbled on Only Sun doing a release a month thing and kept going back to the one above not quite sure if I wanted to draft it or not. So I am more curious of opinions than usual. I get a Bleachers vibe and I was all over I Wanna Get Better... annoyingly to those near me.

I want to do a write up for a song that's been moved to the last spot and each time I try I decide not to. Maybe tonight, but it and the rest of the release is my ear worm.

Edited by Chaos Commish
  • Like 2