Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2018 Mid-Year Song Draft - Round 9 this AM, Round 10/all owed picks this afternoon.

9.xx Strand of Oaks - "Passing Out"

We all have our favorites, Strand of Oaks is one of mine.  Their 2018 album "Harder Love" is an odds and sods collection of tracks that didn't make the cut for the last one "Hard Love" 

Tim Showalter is an artist who is passionate about rock 'n roll and the album format so it's interesting (for me anyhow) to listen in on his creative process after the fact.  "Passing Out" is a fine song but it would have been out of place on "Hard Love".  I'm glad it found a release.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chaos Commish said:

Makeup for yesterday

8. Death Cab for Cutie - Gold Rush

I really like the DCfC song, so I don't care if you don't.

I posted it in the albums thread and think it got one (negative) response but I agree with you, it's a really good song. It might not sound like 2003 Death Cab but aren't bands supposed to evolve and try new stuff? And all that said, it's still instantly recognizable as a DCFC song and yes, I'm a fanboy but I don't care. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jaysus said:

round 10

Ty Segall - Every 1's a Winner

(I was holding out hope that someone else would have picked him by now so I could have gone with Old Crow Medicine Show here ;) )

@Steve Tasker and I saw Old Crow Medicine Show at Bonnaroo. They were really damn good. 

Edit - were you going to take Flicker & Shine?

Edited by Northern Voice
  • Like 1

My last pick

These dudes are my faves! in the metal dept anyway, total zilla ####, their first record in five years and it rips.  Hard to pick a favorite track, I could go with 3-4, but I'll close out with the closer

ASG - Florida Sleep On

Wolves are feeding around this town again

Thanks for letting me play along, I have a little time to get the playlist caught up right now..

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kupcho1 said:

Round 9:  Big Cloud / Wavves, Culture Abuse

round 10: She's Kerosene / The Interruptors

links, blurbs when I'm back in the USA 

shortlisted.

happy to see a fair bit of overlap in this thing... but also happy it's not too much.

• Like 1

PRhyme - "Sunflower Seeds"

I'm probably doing it all wrong but I've liked rap albums more than singles this year.  Records from Saba and Cavalier have held up better as entire mixtapes without a standout cut that jumped out at me.  PRhyme is kind of in the same boat but "Sunflower Seeds" is a fun old school jam with a great bassline and a catchy shout it out loud chorus.

Maybe the Beyonce/Jay-Z record will grab me more with repeated listens or maybe Kanye's 15th weekly album will eclipse the 14 that proceeded it.

My favorite new finds through round 5:

Superchunk (reminds me of Cheap Trick), Young Fathers, Nathaniel Rateliff, Chrome Sparks,  King Buffalo (hometown pick), Let’s Eat Grandma, Shame, Eleanor Friedberger

Thats just the best of the best (for me), a lot of other great tunes and looking forward to hearing tounds 6+

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...