Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2018 Mid-Year Song Draft - Round 9 this AM, Round 10/all owed picks this afternoon.

1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

Her voice took a little bit to get adjusted to, but I love the hell out of this album now.   Great hooks from start to finish.   Maybe a Veruca Salt with some Weezer sounding guitars? 

Round 7

Charly Bliss - Glitter

LINK

I'll have my cake and eat it too
I wish I could be good to you

Am I the best? Or just the first person to say yes?

Definitely hear the same influences.  And thanks for leaving their best one this year for me to draft later. 

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:12 PM, El Floppo said:

the whole album is decent, but nothing rises to this level IMO. and given seeing them on video here for the first time, I"m assuming they were playing elsewhere in other bands prior? these geezers look like my age.

6... Overboard.... Lo Tom

Isn't that David Bazan/Pedro the Lion?-----google says yes, it is.

Like the song.

Round One

Valley Boy - Wolf Parade

I've been traveling this week and haven't been able to follow the thread.  I'm looking forward to listening to the playlist.

I searched and didn't find this one.  Bands never break up anymore, they just go on extended hiatus until the planets realign or somebody dies.  Wolf Parade's first album in 2017 is a welcome return but didn't quite do it for me.  This track is kind of the same; it has a great intro and verse but is kind of let down by a weak bridge.

• Like 4

Round Two

Did You See - J Hus

In addition to the decline of Western civilization, 2017 was a weird year for me personally.  Mrs. Eephus' torn Achilles set the tone for the back half of the year.  I'll blame her immobility for me smoking weed and listening to music on the couch more than normal.  Consequently, I'll probably end up drafting a bunch of songs like this with woozy mid-tempo beats.

His accent and autotune make the lyrics impenetrable to me other than he switched cars or something.  But it's got a cool, minimal rhythmic hook that snagged me.

• Like 2

Unless there is a sweet music video for the song, I’m linking to Spotify here forward.  You don’t belong in this draft if you don’t pay $9.99 a month for Spotify.  Why does YouTube have to hijack your phone so you can’t do anything else while listening to a video?  Pretty needy.  

• Like 2

Round 8:  I Miss Those Days - Bleachers

I was sixteen in a van driving myself to Florida
Part of me never left that seat 'cause
Nights that we could stand up before a dream

Love that this song makes me feel nostalgic for things I never even did.  Upbeat yet melancholy.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Buckfast 1 said:

Unless there is a sweet music video for the song, I’m linking to Spotify here forward.  You don’t belong in this draft if you don’t pay $9.99 a month for Spotify.  Why does YouTube have to hijack your phone so you can’t do anything else while listening to a video?  Pretty needy.  

:lol:  Laying the hammer down..

5 hours ago, Buckfast 1 said:

:kicksrock:

(You realize you don't have to pay 9.99 to use Spotify, right? And my pixel doesn't have to get hijacked by YouTube :shrug: )

• Like 1

3 hours ago, El Floppo said:

:kicksrock:

(You realize you don't have to pay 9.99 to use Spotify, right? And my pixel doesn't have to get hijacked by YouTube :shrug: )

Oh, I didn’t realize that non-premium Spotify users could still listen to songs via links.  That’s good to know.

I was just annoyed at fake song videos that I keep coming across for artists that try to keep their music off of YouTube.  There’s a whole underground industry of people that make money tricking other people into opening fake YouTube content. 

• Like 1

Didn't like this album quite as much as their debut a few years ago, but still dug the hell out of a handful of the songs like this straight ahead rocker..

Round 8

Royal Blood - Hook, Line & Sinker 

LINK

She's got the devil on one shoulder
And the other's getting colder
She looks so good but it's not nearly
Feeling like it's supposed to

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

Interesting draft. Some really good songs drafted so far, but also some glaringly surprising omissions so far in my opinion.   Even though I'm not in this draft--it's a cool one to follow.   

:confused:

We're picking our favorite songs... So far, not a single omission- glaring or otherwise.

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

:confused:

We're picking our favorite songs... So far, not a single omission- glaring or otherwise.

Sure there are omissions.  The op clearly says one of the main reasons he's doing this is to highlight the best songs of 2017--which is not the necessarily the same as your "favorite songs".   Lists like this are never accurate because people tend to choose the "under the radar" or "Indy" artists that might be viewed as being cooler to like (as admitting to actually enjoying some mainstream music is somehow frowned upon these days)  as opposed to being open to naming successful mainstream music. Some of the drafters seem far more open to drafting mainstream music and it's pretty obvious that some of the other drafters  wouldn't be caught dead drafting anything that is liked or known to the masses.   Any decently long list of the best songs of 2017 that doesn't include some of the following songs could easily be viewed as being incomplete. With that being said--this is just a point of view from somebody that is not in the draft and I did not have any intention of derailing your drafts.  Carry on and I will follow silently.  

the sky is a neighborhood by foo fighers

wish i knew you by the revivalists

only lie when i love you by royal blood

creature comfort by arcade fire

green light by lorde

call the police by LCD soundsystem

Edited by jvdesigns2002

44 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

Sure there are omissions.  The op clearly says one of the main reasons he's doing this is to highlight the best songs of 2017--which is not the necessarily the same as your "favorite songs".   Lists like this are never accurate because people tend to choose the "under the radar" or "Indy" artists that might be viewed as being cooler to like (as admitting to actually enjoying some mainstream music is somehow frowned upon these days)  as opposed to being open to naming successful mainstream music. Some of the drafters seem far more open to drafting mainstream music and it's pretty obvious that some of the other drafters  wouldn't be caught dead drafting anything that is liked or known to the masses.   Any decently long list of the best songs of 2017 that doesn't include some of the following songs could easily be viewed as being incomplete. With that being said--this is just a point of view from somebody that is not in the draft and I did not have any intention of derailing your drafts.  Carry on and I will follow silently.  

green light by lorde

those all suck

• Like 3

I don't see these as drafts where we're trying to second guess or come up with a composite of "critics' " favorite top picks- no point in that at all to me. could just go look at a bunch of lists elsewhere if so. we're picking the songs we think are the best of 2017, where "we" is "us" is "the people picking".  totally subjective. op saying "best songs" means that to me. or maybe that's just me.

50 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

green light by lorde

You have fair points, but I am not going to draft something that I didn't listen to this year.   I haven't listened to Foo Fighters, Revialists, or Arcade Fire this year.  I drafted Green Light, and I just liked another song from Royal Blood more than the one you listed.  :shrug:

No list is perfect, and you will even see a wide variety between a top song list from Rolling Stone vs. Pitchfork.  And yes, a lot of people go off the board a little because any of us can look up a list online of the top songs of the year - this is more interesting.  ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I don't see these as drafts where we're trying to second guess or come up with a composite of "critics' " favorite top picks- no point in that at all to me. could just go look at a bunch of lists elsewhere if so. we're picking the songs we think are the best of 2017, where "we" is "us" is "the people picking".  totally subjective. op saying "best songs" means that to me. or maybe that's just me.

...or what Floppo said.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KarmaPolice said:

You have fair points, but I am not going to draft something that I didn't listen to this year.   I haven't listened to Foo Fighters, Revialists, or Arcade Fire this year.  I drafted Green Light, and I just liked another song from Royal Blood more than the one you listed.  :shrug:

No list is perfect, and you will even see a wide variety between a top song list from Rolling Stone vs. Pitchfork.  And yes, a lot of people go off the board a little because any of us can look up a list online of the top songs of the year - this is more interesting.  ;)

my list is completely perfect. the perfectest.

• Like 2

Will be making up a few picks here tonight...

Round 6 - Algiers (USA/GA) - The Underside of Power from the 2017 album "The Underside of Power" - YouTube Link - Spotify Link

Nothing much to say about this one - just a solid song from when I first heard it and it has stuck with me all year.

Round 7 - Margo Price (USA/IL) - Pay Gap from the 2017 album "All American Made" - YouTube Link - Spotify Link

A rising superstar in the Americana/Folk genre, she had a great slot this past summer as an opener on the Chris Stapleton tour

Round 8 - White Reaper (USA/KY) - Judy French from the 2017 album "The World's Best American Band" - YouTube Link - Spotify Link

This song selection has nothing to do with Alexandra Daddario being in the video.  Nothing at all.  But it did not hurt.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

green light by lorde

Just join the draft, sounds like you have lots of good songs to contribute. 

On 12/8/2017 at 3:35 PM, El Floppo said:

7... BHS... Sleaford Mods

Still can't get enough of them. the non-singing one is my fave- press play, hands in pockets, bopping head along. somebody was seeing them live this year... live videos make it look exactly like this (minus the boat)- idiotic in terms of a stage show, and yet I can't turn away.

Wow, I think I love those guys but only because of bold dude. 

On 12/9/2017 at 9:27 AM, kupcho1 said:

Breaking the seal on Round 7 (it is Saturday, after all)...

No Known Drink or Drug - Japandroids

I am picking a Japandroids song this week ;)

On 12/9/2017 at 8:21 PM, Eephus said:

Round Three

War is Coming (If You Want It) - Car Seat Headrest

I'm surprised this one is still available since this board generally loves Will Toledo a bit more than I do. 

I would have picked this one if an album came out with it. There were a couple new Jeff Rosenstock singles this year, and one is great, but I think I am going to skip that one too in the whole "spirit of the album" thing. 

19 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Didn't like this album quite as much as their debut a few years ago, but still dug the hell out of a handful of the songs like this straight ahead rocker..

Round 8

Royal Blood - Hook, Line & Sinker 

LINK

She's got the devil on one shoulder
And the other's getting colder
She looks so good but it's not nearly
Feeling like it's supposed to

I'll be picking a song from this album too!

11 hours ago, dal_boys_phan said:

Round 7 - Margo Price (USA/IL) - Pay Gap from the 2017 album "All American Made" - YouTube Link - Spotify Link

A rising superstar in the Americana/Folk genre, she had a great slot this past summer as an opener on the Chris Stapleton tour

Round 8 - White Reaper (USA/KY) - Judy French from the 2017 album "The World's Best American Band" - YouTube Link - Spotify Link

This song selection has nothing to do with Alexandra Daddario being in the video.  Nothing at all.  But it did not hurt.

Margo Price had one of my top[ 5 albums of last year, and my #2 song of the year.... and I honestly had no idea she had a new album out until the recent end of year lists started popping up. 

I will be picking at least one more White Reaper song... I LOVE that album... like a lot. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

a bit of a change in direction in sound from these guys on their new album from straight up freaky psych garage to... dunno... something else, and I like it a lot. 

8.... nite expo- thee oh sees

I am pretty sure they are just Oh Sees now, guy.  Get with the program already!!  P.S. I m digging tha album too.t  I think I am done Hippling for today, again, not sure how much I will be around and needed to get it out of the way early. 

4 minutes ago, Jaysus said:

18 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

a bit of a change in direction in sound from these guys on their new album from straight up freaky psych garage to... dunno... something else, and I like it a lot. 

8.... nite expo- thee oh sees

I am pretty sure they are just Oh Sees now, guy.  Get with the program already!!  P.S. I m digging tha album too.t  I think I am done Hippling for today, again, not sure how much I will be around and needed to get it out of the way early. 

spotify still calling them thee. if they're just the oh sees, I'm withdrawing my pick and disliking their non-ye-old style name.

• Like 1

@Northern Voice - I did my best to update the playlist this morning.  There was a little bit of skipping around, so we might need to double check all the songs are on there.  After the update, the mix was at 91 songs which I took to mean that the playlist is missing a few or some drafters are a couple songs behind.  

(I THINK we have 11 of us, so we should be at 99 after the weekend?)

ETA:  nevermind, I just saw that Round 8 was Sunday, so we should be 88, or are there 12 of us making it 96?

Edited by KarmaPolice
  • Like 2

On 12/9/2017 at 8:27 PM, Eephus said:

Round Four

Bernal Heights - Duckwrth

Three straight songs with the same groove.

sf guy? or different bernal heights? really dig his style and the stripped back production (I'm a sucker for the minimal)

On 12/9/2017 at 8:42 PM, Eephus said:

Round Five

Fear & Force - Vagabon

This one has guitars and actually picks up at about the 2:30 mark

really pretty.... another one I've never heard of.

On 12/9/2017 at 9:04 PM, Eephus said:

Round Six

Till the End - Curtis Harding

A classic sounding piece of retro soul

I usually get a little curmudgeonly with the straight up style lifters, but it's a really infectious great song.

On 12/9/2017 at 9:59 PM, Eephus said:

Round Seven

How The West Was Won - Peter Perrett

The year's most improbable comeback came from Perrett, whose 15 minutes came long ago as the leader of 1970s punks the Only Ones. 

I don't remember the only ones, but this is a fantastic song- I'll have to look them and the rest of this album up.

On 12/10/2017 at 8:35 AM, kupcho1 said:

Round 8:  I Miss Those Days - Bleachers

Love that this song makes me feel nostalgic for things I never even did.  Upbeat yet melancholy.  

yeah-wow, definitely pulls some internal strings. like it a lot.

21 hours ago, D_House said:

Round 8: Mura Masa ft A$AP Rocky - Love$ick

Great summer song with steel drums, an infectious sped up vocal sample, solid flow from A$AP Rocky, and a little air horn.

love the airhorn, the flow and the video.

• Like 1