What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Mid-Year Song Draft - Round 9 this AM, Round 10/all owed picks this afternoon. (2 Viewers)

Her voice took a little bit to get adjusted to, but I love the hell out of this album now.   Great hooks from start to finish.   Maybe a Veruca Salt with some Weezer sounding guitars? 

Round 7

Charly Bliss - Glitter

LINK

I'll have my cake and eat it too
I wish I could be good to you

Am I the best? Or just the first person to say yes?

:wub:

I saw Charly Bliss in tiny clubs by pure fluke twice early in the year (opening for Tokyo Police Club in my town and Operators in Toronto). That may be my AOTY.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pitchfork can always be counted on for me looking at their list and generally not knowing a damn thing on it.  Not sure if they are too cool or not cool enough.  It's hard to find an outlet to turn to (besides the FFA that is) for me that jives with my tastes, but I think the closest to my movie and music interests is The AV Club.  They usually have a mix of stuff that was on my radar for the year while mixing in some stuff I haven't heard but more often than not end up digging.  

creature comfort by arcade fire
I don't like to critique anyone's music taste, because it's all subjective but since you're going to come in here and critique everyone else's taste, I have to point out that this song is total #### and if not for the even worse Peter Pan and Chemistry, would be the worst thing they've ever written.

Pitchfork can always be counted on for me looking at their list and generally not knowing a damn thing on it.  Not sure if they are too cool or not cool enough.  It's hard to find an outlet to turn to (besides the FFA that is) for me that jives with my tastes, but I think the closest to my movie and music interests is The AV Club.  They usually have a mix of stuff that was on my radar for the year while mixing in some stuff I haven't heard but more often than not end up digging.  
I've found that pitchfork goes too far hip-hop, pop and ez-listening-indie-pop for my tastes. just looked through that 100 songs... the nilufer girl was the only thing that really grabbed me. 

eta: I'll have to check out AV CLub

a bit of a change in direction in sound from these guys on their new album from straight up freaky psych garage to... dunno... something else, and I like it a lot. 

8.... nite expo- thee oh sees

I felt like this guy was imitating james blake's indie, electro/r&b when I first heard him... but that's not a bad thing- and this song just kept with me all year. I love the studio version, but this live one is a nice spin too.

9...  plastic 100oC- sampha
I have you taking the pissed jeans song for round 8 already.

I don't like to critique anyone's music taste, because it's all subjective but since you're going to come in here and critique everyone else's taste, I have to point out that this song is total #### and if not for the even worse Peter Pan and Chemistry, would be the worst thing they've ever written.
First of all--I never critiqued anybody elses taste in music.   Let's get that crystal clear.  The only person critiquing anybody's taste in music is you with your hot take on creature comfort by arcade fire.   Even I admit that it's not close to the quality of their best work (as nothing they do will probably match Funeral)--but there is no doubt that it should absolutely be considered in creating a list of the "best" songs of 2017 especially considering that you will probably be drafting 120-200 songs on this thing by the time its over. 

I merely brought up the point that in the original post--it was stated that the  motivation to do this list was to create a comprehensive list to highlight the best songs of 2017.   If you look at the list being compiled--it glaringly ignores many of the songs that a large portion of the public considers "the best".   If there is anything that I critiqued--it would be labeling the list as being naming the "top/best songs of 2017".   It should be labelled as drafting your favorite songs of 2017.   In any case--go on with your draft as I find it cool to follow.   

This is one of the sexiest songs of the year, IMO.  Soulful, haunting vocals over a groovy double bassline and orchestral strings.  The video is mildly sexy and possibly NSFW if you work at a church.  

Round 11:  Laura Marling - Soothing

A few I don’t love, but stuck on my playlists this year.

Round 9 - Midland (US/TX) - Drinkin’ Problem from the album “On The Rocks”

A fun country tune.  More fun when taking on the title and adding karaoke for a volatile mix.  No, there ain’t no video of said excursion.

Round 10 - Ed Sheeran (GB) - Shape of You from the album “Divide”

Yeah, it’s crappy.  But catchy.  

Round 11 - Harley Poe - Preserve

This is my album of this year.  I love most of the songs on it, and I think the final track Without Your Love is actually my favorite, but it is a bit of a concept album and it really kinda builds up to that track, so I am going with the song that introduced me to the artist/album.  It may or may not be a coincidence that it is actually the 1st track on the album. 

I think I will actually be around this afternoon for my Round 12 pick.  Look at me and all that...

This is one of my favourite local finds of the year. 

Now I ain't ever been a lonesome man, baby 
Traded talk with some leading ladies 
I been to mars in a moon mercedes 
Saw the sun was just a star 

Round 10 - Fast Romantics - Get Loved

RECORD SCREECH...

there's a new feelies?!
There is....and it's spectacular....
listening to this now.... it's like they went back in time in the early 80s to between crazy rhythms and good earth and tapped exactly into that for this new one. captures everything that was great about them. on the flip side, doesn't feel like it's pushing any new ground at all (caveat- I'm only 5 or so songs through... so maybe it progresses).

eta: "been replaced" (song 7) and the song you drafted are both pushing their usual sound... love them both.... and still have the rest of the album to listen to.

I will double up.  I took this song in our GP2 draft as well, but no reason to add one of my favorite songs off one of my favorite albums of the year to this playlist too....

Round 9:

Run the Jewels - Thursday in the Danger Room

LINK

Death's a release but a much bigger beast
Is a living on limited time
Like how do you look in the eyes of a friend
And not cry when you know that they're dying?
How do you feel 'bout yourself when you know that
Sometimes you had wished they were gone?
Not because you didn't love 'em
But just because you felt too weak to be strong

Boo, my afternoon just got messy, this is early, but still pretty close in the grand scheme of things.

Round 12 - McCafferty - Cut Out the Pieces

This one was #3 on my Spotify Year End Wrapped list, and honestly I would have happily taken 5 of the 6 songs from this EP in this draft (the 6th track was a weird interlude).  If this was an LP it would be a strong contender for my #2 AoTY, but it will wind up losing a few spots as I have 4 or 5 albums filling that role at the moment.  

The whole album has kept dropping down my list as the year went on, but this song has been one of my favorites since the start of the year when it came out.  

Round 10:

Cherry Glazerr - Told You I'd Be with the Guys

LINK

I was a lone wolf
I thought I lost my pack
Where are my ladies?
Nobody has my back

The whole album has kept dropping down my list as the year went on, but this song has been one of my favorites since the start of the year when it came out.  

Round 10:

Cherry Glazerr - Told You I'd Be with the Guys

LINK

I was a lone wolf
I thought I lost my pack
Where are my ladies?
Nobody has my back
Great song. They opened for Spoon in Toronto. My wife really hated them :lol:  

Gonna go a little metal-y, but nothing too bad.  This album will also be at the top of my list for best of the year.  Almost anything they do is gold and IMO it was their best album in a decade.  The video cracks me up, too. 

Round 11:

Mastodon - Show Yourself

LINK

You're not as safe as far as I can tell
And I can tell
Only you can save yourself
Soon this will all be a distant memory

This song really captures a lot of my feelings about 2017. 

Round 12 - Nine Inch Nails - Less Than

So what are you waiting for?
You got what you asked for
Did it fix what was wrong with you?
Are you less than?
Go and look what you gone done
Welcome oblivion
Did it fix what was wrong with you?
Are you less than?

I feel like I love this song way more than I should (because it occasionally gets a bit Kroeger-ish) but I instantly turn it up as loud as possible every time, so...

Round 12 - Manchester Orchestra - The Gold

I'll get the doc updated tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread