What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy offseason dynasty rankings? (2 Viewers)

Tick

Footballguy
There is always a tough time in the IDP dynasty calendar between now and the NFL draft.  In that gap are a number of roster decisions where it would be nice to have some dynasty rankings to refer to.  To use the Zealots calendar, there are final week waiver runs, roster cuts when players on IR are activated, cuts and RFA designations just prior to free agency, and the free agency bidding frenzy.

I’ve got a team that missed the playoffs, so I’m already in offseason mode there.

I hope that FBG will have some rankings available this year, but I don’t think I can count on it.  

Does anyone know of any good dynasty IDP rankings we can refer to that aren’t behind a paywall?  Does anyone want to take a shot at their own rankings here?

I don't have any answers to the OP question so no need to respond.  I am interested in the answers if people have other places they frequent.  I have used FBG's for years and it has done me well but the IDP side is quickly going downhill so any other resources would be greatly appreciative.  I have looked but haven't found anything I particularly liked. 

The IDP world is a tough world these days.

https://dynastyleaguefootball.com/rankings/dynasty-lb-rankings has rankings behind their paywall, but based on their preview, I'm skeptical - they don't have dates on their rankings, and I suspect they're from week 1.  Alec Ogletree, Jamie Collins, and Myles Jack in the top 10 of dynasty rankings seems out of date.

http://dynastyfootballwarehouse.com/rankings/idp-lb/ has the same three guys in their top 10, so againI question the dates on them (Bowman listed in SF also), plus Posluszny and Derrick Johnson in the top 20.

https://dynastyfootballfactory.com/dynasty-idp-lb-rankings-2017/ has Ogletree and Collins top 10, Bowman in SF, and Derrick Johnson top 20, so also out of date.

http://ffdynasty260.com/dynastyidp/ has a date: 11/24... so that's a good thing to find!  It doesn't go very deep, though - 30 LBs doesn't do much for roster cut decisions in most IDP leagues.

https://www.versusfantasyfootball.com/rankings/dynasty-idp-rankings/ lists Chandler Jones in NE.

http://www.idpguru.com/ is by a FBG staffer - some good weekly stuff there, but I didn't see dynasty stuff.

http://idpwiseguy.com/rankings/tag/dynasty is from preseason.

https://www.dynastyvipers.com/linebacker-rankings - Same sort of issues as other rankings, so probably from week 1.

http://www.dominatedynasty.com/rankings/draft-projections/ also early season

Ugh... not looking good.

Tick said:
https://dynastyleaguefootball.com/rankings/dynasty-lb-rankings has rankings behind their paywall, but based on their preview, I'm skeptical - they don't have dates on their rankings, and I suspect they're from week 1.  Alec Ogletree, Jamie Collins, and Myles Jack in the top 10 of dynasty rankings seems out of date.

http://dynastyfootballwarehouse.com/rankings/idp-lb/ has the same three guys in their top 10, so againI question the dates on them (Bowman listed in SF also), plus Posluszny and Derrick Johnson in the top 20.

https://dynastyfootballfactory.com/dynasty-idp-lb-rankings-2017/ has Ogletree and Collins top 10, Bowman in SF, and Derrick Johnson top 20, so also out of date.

http://ffdynasty260.com/dynastyidp/ has a date: 11/24... so that's a good thing to find!  It doesn't go very deep, though - 30 LBs doesn't do much for roster cut decisions in most IDP leagues.

https://www.versusfantasyfootball.com/rankings/dynasty-idp-rankings/ lists Chandler Jones in NE.

http://www.idpguru.com/ is by a FBG staffer - some good weekly stuff there, but I didn't see dynasty stuff.

http://idpwiseguy.com/rankings/tag/dynasty is from preseason.

https://www.dynastyvipers.com/linebacker-rankings - Same sort of issues as other rankings, so probably from week 1.

http://www.dominatedynasty.com/rankings/draft-projections/ also early season

Ugh... not looking good.
I guess IDP is an afterthought for everyone.  Seems like there could be an opportunity for someone to jump in however, maybe the lack of information is indicative that the market is just not very big.  That sucks as it should be huge since it is so much better than the typical league. 

This gets to me.  86% of dynasty teams are in their offseason, and we have one set of offensive dynasty rankings in the past 2 weeks, no IDP for months.  Rosters have to be cut down, man.  I'd like some FBG takes on this.

:missing:  IDP coverage

The absence of Jene Bramel on the IDP side has left a significant void.
A significant void even in redraft it seems - I don't know if anyone else subscribes and looks at the weekly rankings posted by Norton and Tietgen, but these have issues. Both seem to post their rankings early and (I can be corrected) there doesn't seem to be any adjustment during the week if it becomes clear that players aren't going to play due since they haven't practiced all week or whatever - I haven't gone back and checked but last week I think there were multiple instances of injured players - e.g. Van Noy and Burfict - being high up the rankings when it was clear they wouldn't play even early in the week (or if it was possible they would play, you'd think they'd have possibly slightly lower projections due to the uncertainty) and no movement up for other players with more opportunity.

Norton does have more of a focus on matchups and weekly opportunity - this week for instance, he has Zach Vigil in the top 10 I think and Jatavis moved up with Perryman out - and my observation is less to do with his rankings because you can see that they are more customized and thought has gone into them. But Tietgen's ranking are regularly confounding. This week he has Justin Houston ranked #1 at LB in standard scoring and Byron Jones #1 at defensive back. I can't remember about Houston but I'm pretty sure he has had him ranked highly in a lot of weeks, regardless of performance. Jones has been ranked very high (if not #1) on multiple occasions this season, even though he has been a fringe option at best in IDP. (edit - I just checked: his defensive back rankings seem to be identical every week! I didn't check the others but maybe they are too).

He has Zach Brown still in the top 10, even though it's likely he won't play; Vonn Bell is in his top 10, even though he lost snaps and barely played last week. He always has Fletcher Cox and Leonard Williams high up at DL, even though both have done virtually nothing for IDP this year. 

I don't want to be too critical, and it's not like I really use the rankings - I just take a quick look at them for interest, but I don't know what the point is of even having Tietgen do rankings if they are going to be so inaccurate, or are just copy and paste jobs. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it is just me becoming more cynical as I get older... but I rarely feel comfortable when some new name pops up doing rankings at FBG's with no introduction whatsoever. It wouldn't be that difficult when someone new joins the rankings group (offense or IDP), to have a brief introduction to the subscribers either by email or in an article about the new FBG's staffer. Maybe give a little background on their experience and why we should trust their opinion to have merit.

I've honestly paid little attention to Tietgen's rankings this year (other than to compare them to Norton's) since I have no clue whether he is 10 years old and doing them from mom and dad's basement or a veteran fantasy writer/contributor who has a track record of merit. RushHour has obviously paid more attention than I, and his findings are precisely why I don't trust just anyone who decides to throw their rankings on a website. This came up several years ago when they had a guy doing offensive rankings and he had some things so ridiculously out of whack I called bull#### in the Shark Pool (Vernon Davis as the #6 overall pick, not #6 TE... #6 overall pick, among other baffling ranks). Some friend of his leapt to his defense basically saying it unfair to criticize his rankings no matter how poorly based. But the guy's rankings coincidently stopped showing up soon thereafter.

When going through the IDP ranks the last couple years, I find myself gravitating to Norton and Sitzmann. Brimacombe and Rudnicki are ok, especially for some outliers. But if I am basing it on which I think are the most accurate and researched, it is always Norton and Sitzmann.

And that's not including Jene's IDP Tier articles which were light years ahead of all of the rankings.

A significant void even in redraft it seems - I don't know if anyone else subscribes and looks at the weekly rankings posted by Norton and Tietgen, but these have issues. Both seem to post their rankings early and (I can be corrected) there doesn't seem to be any adjustment during the week if it becomes clear that players aren't going to play due since they haven't practiced all week or whatever - I haven't gone back and checked but last week I think there were multiple instances of injured players - e.g. Van Noy and Burfict - being high up the rankings when it was clear they wouldn't play even early in the week (or if it was possible they would play, you'd think they'd have possibly slightly lower projections due to the uncertainty) and no movement up for other players with more opportunity.

Norton does have more of a focus on matchups and weekly opportunity - this week for instance, he has Zach Vigil in the top 10 I think and Jatavis moved up with Perryman out - and my observation is less to do with his rankings because you can see that they are more customized and thought has gone into them. But Tietgen's ranking are regularly confounding. This week he has Justin Houston ranked #1 at LB in standard scoring and Byron Jones #1 at defensive back. I can't remember about Houston but I'm pretty sure he has had him ranked highly in a lot of weeks, regardless of performance. Jones has been ranked very high (if not #1) on multiple occasions this season, even though he has been a fringe option at best in IDP. (edit - I just checked: his defensive back rankings seem to be identical every week! I didn't check the others but maybe they are too).

He has Zach Brown still in the top 10, even though it's likely he won't play; Vonn Bell is in his top 10, even though he lost snaps and barely played last week. He always has Fletcher Cox and Leonard Williams high up at DL, even though both have done virtually nothing for IDP this year. 

I don't want to be too critical, and it's not like I really use the rankings - I just take a quick look at them for interest, but I don't know what the point is of even having Tietgen do rankings if they are going to be so inaccurate, or are just copy and paste jobs. 
Regarding injured players, I'd always prefer that they project the player assuming he'll play.  I use the Sunday updates to remove players who are inactive.  I find a 100% ranking to be much more useful than a 50% ranking because a guy is questionable.  I understand dropping the projections if they expect the player to be unable to put up stats due to the type of injury (hand in a club, etc.), but if it's something like a concussion where they'll be either 100% or 0%, I like that they give the 100% projection.

When going through the IDP ranks the last couple years, I find myself gravitating to Norton and Sitzmann. Brimacombe and Rudnicki are ok, especially for some outliers. But if I am basing it on which I think are the most accurate and researched, it is always Norton and Sitzmann.

And that's not including Jene's IDP Tier articles which were light years ahead of all of the rankings.
Yeah, offseason tiers rock.  I hope they come back someday, @Jene Bramel

The truth hurts, so here it is.  Warning....not going to sugar coat anything here.  

The only IDP articles that are worth a read are:

1) Jene's offseason IDP tier article.  

2) Norton's weekly Eyes of the Guru article.

3) Rudnicki's weekly Upgrades and Downgrade article.

The best in-season article is by far Norton's Guru article, but it's pretty much worthless for the week it comes out, because it comes out after waivers run.  This gets talked about every offseason, and no matter how many people ask for it to come out on Tuesday (or at the very least Wednesday afternoon), it's never going to happen.  Norton is too busy and it's too time-consuming to get it out in time.  Rudnicki's article tries to fill that gap, and he does a decent job, but it just doesn't do what Norton's article does.  

The rest of the IDP articles are superficial and don't provide any insight whatsoever.  I'm sorry to say such a thing, and don't mean any disrespect, but come on.  The IDP Dynasty sleepers article for week 16 has the following sleepers:  Jamie Collins, Justin Houston, Danielle Hunter, Jamal Adams, etc...  Seriously, in what universe do those players qualify as a dynasty sleeper?  Larkin's matchups to exploit article is way too basic.  Gives 2 teams for tackles and sacks.  Yippie.  How about just updating a grid that shows IDP points allowed, by position (DT, DE, LB, CB, S) and update it on a weekly basis?  Settle's weekly IDP sleeper article, is never accurate.  He just lists guys that you won't want to start, hoping that they "breakout".  Week 16 had Brian Cushing listed as a sleeper.  lol.  0-1-0.  No offense intended, but it's an article that isn't needed.  

And let's not even talk about the rankings.  Their flaws have been pointed out in above posts, as they are just rehashed from the week prior, with little to no thought.  I don't even look at them.

The bottom line, with the exception of the 3 articles above, the rest of them are just filler.  Articles for FBG to show that they have IDP content.  In reality, they need to take a long hard look in the mirror.  FBG needs to make a decision...have excellent content, or no content at all.  I'd rather see just those 3 articles next year and none of the other filler.  Hard enough to weed through all the DFS articles I don't want to see, so extra IDP fluff isn't needed either.

That's my take.  Take it for what it is.  Can't stress enough that I don't mean to make anyone mad.  But I feel like it needs to be said.

I'd take it a step further and argue that only Jene's Tiers are of value.  I read and appreciate Rudinicki's article but it is basically a synopsis of who had a good game and who had a bad game.  Helpful to me b/c I don't watch all the games but you get the same info from the box scores.  Norton's bothers me more not because it is always too late but because it is a superficial scan of every team.  Some week I want to know what's going on with LBs in ATL but he talks about the DBs and is on to the next team.   The only way to get more useful info is not by making Norton do more work but have multiple writers divide up the conferences and divisions and go more in-depth.  More than looking at box scores and injury reports which I can do myself.

And I agree that the projections are obvious guesses by both authors but I think that is what you get on the IDP side.  Seems less obvious than projecting offense and big plays make it very hard.  At least take the injured guys out of the projections.  I use the 10 minute summary tool and had noticed Norton consistently had Adrian Clayborn rated for 6-8 points every week even though he was averaging about 2 points.  He finally took him down and blew up.  I could only LOL

Really need more dynasty rankings in-season and during the off-season.....

About to make some cuts, looking for some more rankings if anyone knows of any out there.

Guys, we're working on it over at DFF. Follow us at @dff_idp, @dff_johnidp and @seahawksdan8. Let us know what you want and we'll get to work. I'll start working on offseason dynasty tiers.
I wasn't ever able to find anything - did this happen?

Wow - google found me this:

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/viewrankings-dynasty.php?viewpos=dl&howrecent=14

Throwback look, current rankings?  Bizarre.

ETA: What is going on here?  I go to http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/viewrankings.php?viewpos=dl&type=dynasty&howrecent=35 and don't get any rankings, but they're on the throwback site?

@Sigmund Bloom - it looks like @Dave Larkin ranked IDPs for dynasty, why can't I see them on the rankings viewer from FBG?

Hankmoody said:
Not with JuJu at WR10 they aren't.
Huh - you're probably right.  When I saw Morgan Burnett and Kenny Vaccaro in the top 10, I assumed they were from last year.

ETA: This is really confusing... Kam at 23, Geathers at 18, TJ ward at 31... I don't get it.

Huh - you're probably right.  When I saw Morgan Burnett and Kenny Vaccaro in the top 10, I assumed they were from last year.

ETA: This is really confusing... Kam at 23, Geathers at 18, TJ ward at 31... I don't get it.
DB's are a crapshoot.  Throw a dart and hope you are right...hahaha

DB's are a crapshoot.  Throw a dart and hope you are right...hahaha
Yep. Thought I was set last year with tj ward and honey badger at safety. Badger was fine but we separate safety from corner. 

So I take a combination of getting very good players and not worrying too much about production, assessing the scheme, and using the waiver wire. I almost never trade for a DB or draft one until really late (I did draft Josh Jones at pick 92 last year, he's panned out so far).

Yep. Thought I was set last year with tj ward and honey badger at safety. Badger was fine but we separate safety from corner. 

So I take a combination of getting very good players and not worrying too much about production, assessing the scheme, and using the waiver wire. I almost never trade for a DB or draft one until really late (I did draft Josh Jones at pick 92 last year, he's panned out so far).
I take the same approach usually.  I draft a bare minimum of DB's because there are always waiver wire no-name guys that seem to come out of nowhere to be in the top 10 of DB's.  It also seems that the no-name DB's that do rise to the top for any given year seem to stay up at the top.  Maybe it's because offensive coordinators see they are able to be picked on or the scheme that defense is employing just opens up their side of the field.  Who knows?  The point is there are always DB's that come out of nowhere that will score solidly that they are very easy to stream or get this year's top 10 no name flavor.  It happens every year.

The only DB I have gone out of my way for was Landon Collins because of his usage of rushing the QB and ball hawking.  That kind of consistency is mostly unheard of at the DB position and gave me a distinct advantage (big play scoring helped bump him up as well). 

The only DB I have gone out of my way for was Landon Collins because of his usage of rushing the QB and ball hawking.  That kind of consistency is mostly unheard of at the DB position and gave me a distinct advantage (big play scoring helped bump him up as well). 
:yes:

I did enjoy having Polomalu and Brian Dawkins for many years. 

:yes:

I did enjoy having Polomalu and Brian Dawkins for many years. 
yep.  Depending on scoring system there are usually a couple DB's consistent enough to make a difference however they generally don't give you a huge advantage over other scorers.  The advantage they give is you know they will be one of the top 5-10.  That can be negated by hitting the waiver wire early and finding this year's target as there are always a few.

In my scoring Collins was significantly better than the #2 scorer in 2016 and even in his "down" year last year he was top 5.  If he wasn't such a difference maker in 2016 I probably wouldn't have bothered keeping him (Collins was 14.2 ppg with #2 being 9.6 ppg) .  His "down" year brought him back to the pack at 9.1 ppg but much of that was also injury related. 

Reshad Jones was better in 2015 than Landon was in his blowup 2016 that everyone was so buzzed over.  He missed most of 2016 but averaged 2 less points per game than Landon, and then returned last year and was the top DB again by a solid margin.  

So, his last three seasons he finished 1/2/1 in average among all DBs.  Of course, this is all according to my league scoring but looking at their numbers, I don't think it would really matter what system is used.

Reshad Jones was better in 2015 than Landon was in his blowup 2016 that everyone was so buzzed over.  He missed most of 2016 but averaged 2 less points per game than Landon, and then returned last year and was the top DB again by a solid margin.  

So, his last three seasons he finished 1/2/1 in average among all DBs.  Of course, this is all according to my league scoring but looking at their numbers, I don't think it would really matter what system is used.
In my scoring system Reshad was a full pt less per game in 2015 than Collins was in 2016 and the difference between him at #1 and #2 was only 1 pt per game while Colllins was almost 5 ppg (for people that played all season - Jones was 3 ppg less than Collins in 2016).  Jones was great that year but it wasn't as great as Collins compared to his competition.  Jones was the #22 overall player in my league in 2015 and Collins was the #13 overall player in 2016.  Both are great.

Last year the top DB in my scoring was Byard and Poyer (tied) and Reshad was 2 pts behind them.  They were all virtually the same.  Scoring system does matter quite a bit. 

Over 4 months later, still not finding any IDP dynasty (or even redraft) rankings anywhere.  Has anyone turned any up?

I'm very happy to see some offensive dynasty rankings up this week.  I hope some IDP rankings appear sometime, somewhere.  If people find some that look current elsewhere on the internet, please share.

Two things;

1) When did Jene Bramel leave and is it permanent?

2)The lack of content is what helps give me an edge and I'm fine if it never changes.

Jene didn't leave FBG, he just left the IDP side (except for the rookie tier chart).  No idea if it's permanent.

New Norton rankings up at FBG.

Also, something very cool: They seem to have added OLBs who are DEs in some formats to the DL rankings list!  Nice improvement.

@Joe Bryant Thanks for the improvement.

New projections update today on fsharks. Kenny Young listed as LB17. Are we confident he even gets the nod? Is it conditional, i.e. as long as they don't draft an ILB? 

A pair of sleepers there from WAS and PHI, though both are probably JAGs that get competition from the draft.

New projections update today on fsharks. Kenny Young listed as LB17. Are we confident he even gets the nod? Is it conditional, i.e. as long as they don't draft an ILB? 

A pair of sleepers there from WAS and PHI, though both are probably JAGs that get competition from the draft.
All offseason rankings are conditional, I'd say.  It's good, though - we can get these guys for cheap, then drop them with no regrets if they get drafted out of a spot... but if they hit, I'm glad I was given a heads-up.  It's better than holding Patrick Onwuasor through the offseason.

All offseason rankings are conditional, I'd say.  It's good, though - we can get these guys for cheap, then drop them with no regrets if they get drafted out of a spot... but if they hit, I'm glad I was given a heads-up.  It's better than holding Patrick Onwuasor through the offseason.
Agreed. Pretty sure I saw a name or two that were probably going to get a position designation change, too. Still, always good to get some updates... definitely helps pick dart targets. 

Users who are viewing this thread