What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Baker Mayfield, TB (5 Viewers)

OU#1

Footballguy
Figured it was time Baker got his own thread. What a season it has been:

• Walter Camp player of the year

• AP player of the year

• Maxwell Award

• Davey O'Brien

• The most efficient QB in CFB history (twice over)
Oh and just hand the man the Heisman...

Scouts are saying he has improved his draft stock to be a first rounder.

So where does he go? Let's assume all the QB needy teams scoop up the "premium" QB's Rosen, Darnold, and Allen earlier in the draft. Who is a QB needy team which will be drafting later in the first?

My guess? Jacksonville. They are already a playoff team and they have obvious QB needs. Baker would reunite with DeDe for instant rapport. Add in Lee, the Allens (if retained?), Fournette, and combine them with arguably the best defense in the league. They would instantly be a team that could make a deep playoff push IMHO.

Other thoughts, maybe he will be picked up by a team like NE or NO who needs to start preparing for the future. Both of those teams should be drafting late. It would do wonders for Baker to learn from either of the all time greats, and perhaps help with his maturity concerns.

Hopefully he doesn't go to Cleveland. Giants wouldn't be the worst landing spot assuming they move on from Eli. Arizona needs to prepare for life after Palmer. Redskins if they don't retain Cousins, Bills, Dolphins, Jets, and the Broncos are possibilities as well.

Or maybe he slides into the second?

Bottom line, this guy is a gamer. He brings the best out of everybody around him. Don't sell him short based on size, or off field concerns. He has had some issues but I see him rising above all of that and not spiraling into a Johnny Football wasteland. He can make all of the passes, is extremely accurate, and has an uncanny ability to make something out of nothing. He has been told he can't make it all his life and he has proved everybody wrong every single time. I see Baker having a lot of success in the NFL, and yes I am biased! Boomer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post OP. Baker Mayfield has quietly had one of the best statistical careers in college football history and NFL scouts are beginning to realize how good he really is now that he's bringing home all of the awards hardware. 

Something to add to your analysis is that Baker is a legit 6'1". There have been a lot of online photo studies done about his height and he's 6'0.5" at the very shortest. He's also 220 lbs and has a low center of gravity. There should be no knocks about his size once he's measured by NFL teams at the Combine. Here are the stats of his offensive line:

LT Brown, Orlando 6'8" 345                            
LG Powers, Ben 6,4" 310                        
OC Wren, Erick 6,1" 306                            
RG Samia, Dru 6'5" 302                            
RT Evans, Bobby 6'4" 312

This is one of the largest lines in college football and they're bigger than some NFL OLs. Mayfield achieved his accolades behind this line and didn't have trouble seeing over them, so why would he have problems seeing down the field in the pros?

He's a fierce competitor with an uncanny pocket awareness, the ability to throw just as well while rolling out as he does with his feet planted, high accuracy, and a better arm and deep ball than most people give him credit for. He's also very durable and almost never slides despite how often he runs, but has proven that he can take a hit. I can't wait to watch Baker light up the big stage!

My guess?  Jacksonville.  They are already a playoff team and they have obvious QB needs.  Baker would reunite with DeDe for instant rapport.  Add in Lee, the Allens (if retained?), Fournette, and combine them with arguably the best defense in the league.  They would instantly be a team that could make a deep playoff push IMHO.
While it would depend on what the Giants do (or don't do) but I think the Jags try and sign a veteran like Eli first.

A lot of Jets' fans are hoping for Mayfield (I'm not one of them) and if they keep winning a few more games they may be in that sweet spot to grab him.

I honestly think come draft time, he goes #1 to the Browns.

Darnold ahs started trending back upwards, but think he did a lot of damage to his rep this season. Will definitely be interesting

Don't think the Browns pull the trigger at #1. They have to go Darnold (the safest pick) or Rosen. I would have a hard time taking him #1 and passing on both these guys but would definitely take him later in the 1st.

Mayfield definitely goes sooner than later. ;)  I still predict Saints but they may need to do a trade up.

Teams with QBs like the Saints, Pitt  even San Diego are going to need a QB. Best to grab one in this class and groom them.

According to tank-a-thon, three QBs should go in top 4 picks unless Denver trades down. As of today Picks 1, 2, 4, 10, 11, 13, 14, 18, 27, 30 could all use a new QB. 

After Darnol's season, I cant see a team taking him at 1...or maybe even 2. It's entirely possible, but I think Mayfield giving himself a legit shot at no1, and the man is a baller. 

He's a dink at times, but he is a winner. Need that 

Soulfly3 said:

Darnold ahs started trending back upwards, but think he did a lot of damage to his rep this season. Will definitely be interesting
I'm sorry, but the 100% won't happen, it just won't. A sub 6' QB with a ten cent head won't go one.

Soulfly3 said:
After Darnol's season, I cant see a team taking him at 1...or maybe even 2. It's entirely possible, but I think Mayfield giving himself a legit shot at no1, and the man is a baller. 

From everything I've heard it's a mortal lock that Darnold, Rosen, and Allen go ahead of him.

From everything I've heard it's a mortal lock that Darnold, Rosen, and Allen go ahead of him.
I don't think anything is a mortal lock until draft time comes.

What about Mayfield, aside from a cocky attitude, makes him any less a QB then those listed?

Rosen is solid. Darnold was solid a year ago, this season looked like a 2/3rd rounder.... Mayfield just straight up balled. He's got that winner's attitude. An #####, no doubt, which can be a turnoff for many.... But I dunno, I just get the feeling he'll be the best QB of this crop

I like watching him.

I don't think anything is a mortal lock until draft time comes.

What about Mayfield, aside from a cocky attitude, makes him any less a QB then those listed?

Rosen is solid. Darnold was solid a year ago, this season looked like a 2/3rd rounder.... Mayfield just straight up balled. He's got that winner's attitude. An #####, no doubt, which can be a turnoff for many.... But I dunno, I just get the feeling he'll be the best QB of this crop

I like watching him.
We’ll see, I heard the same things ad nauseum about Manziel. I maintain at best he’s the 4th QB taken. 

We’ll see, I heard the same things ad nauseum about Manziel. I maintain at best he’s the 4th QB taken. 
oof. manziel was nowhere even close to high on my board. I think most ppl knew he was likely to bust.

I dont really see the comparison between Mayfield and Manziel.

Here's the deal. If Mayfield was 6'4" & had the same arm talent & intangibles, he'd be a lock for the #1 overall pick.

Oklahoma fan here & I believe he'll measure right at 6' (I'm guessing just over 6'). How much stock do you put into height in today's NFL? Personally, I think it's one if the most overrated metrics in scouting. It really depends on the player, IMO. 

We're talking about a walk-on at Texas Tech & then walked on at Oklahoma. No invite, no nothing. As the scout team QB the year Mayfield had to sit out after the transfer, he consistently lit up the 1st team D. That's when Oklahoma knew they had something special.

Even at Texas Tech, Mayfield was the first freshman walk-on ever to win the starting QB job. He excelled that season until an injury hampered him & Davis Webb took over as the starter. He transferred to Oklahoma the next year & after sitting out one season, became only the second player in history to finish in the top 4 in Heisman voting for 3 years in a row (Herschel Walker was the other player).

I wouldn't bet against this kid.

Soulfly3 said:

People who are saying Darold should go #1 have not been watching College ball but are still feeding off of last year’s hype.

Tex

People who are saying Darold should go #1 have not been watching College ball but are still feeding off of last year’s hype.

Tex
I can see no other explanation for it. 

He's improved of late, but overall dreadful year for a supposed star

so were tim couch, ryan leaf, jamarus russel, so on and so on...
You want me to list the heisman trophy QBs who were busts in the last 20 years?I’m not saying who’s gonna be the best QB of the guys coming out the s year, I’m just telling you Allen, Darnold, and Rosen will all be chosen before Mayfield. 

I can see no other explanation for it. 

He's improved of late, but overall dreadful year for a supposed star
Funny, cause his stats are virtually identical to last years. You do realize NFL teams draft QBs based largely on what they project them to be at the next level, not on what they did in college. It’s why Wentz was the second overall pick. 

Funny, cause his stats are virtually identical to last years. You do realize NFL teams draft QBs based largely on what they project them to be at the next level, not on what they did in college. It’s why Wentz was the second overall pick. 
Ah, yes... Stats.

But did you watch him play this year? I was a BIG Darnold supporter and was hoping he'd be a Brown (I'd still be happy tho, tbh)... But watching him this year was lacklustre to say the least. 

You want me to list the heisman trophy QBs who were busts in the last 20 years?I’m not saying who’s gonna be the best QB of the guys coming out the s year, I’m just telling you Allen, Darnold, and Rosen will all be chosen before Mayfield. 
Dont mean it's the right pick...bears took tribusky over Watson. 

Most likely, but all it takes is one GM that is enamored with him to move up and grab Mayfield. Ca;'t see him going before Darnold (CLE) and Rosen (NYG) but I can see him going in front of Allen. 

Soulfly3 said:

With the Manziel comparison's being flown around, I'm not sure..  Not saying Mansfield SHOULD be compared to Manziel, but he has been.

My thought for him is Chargers.  He can sit for a year (or two?) behind Rivers, and in then in 2019 they can make a decision at the QB spot.  Rivers is signed through 2019, but I'm not sure if he's committed to playing that long or not.

Redskins another landing spot if they don't keep Cousins (or maybe even if they franchise him, which seems expensive..)

Ah, yes... Stats.

But did you watch him play this year? I was a BIG Darnold supporter and was hoping he'd be a Brown (I'd still be happy tho, tbh)... But watching him this year was lacklustre to say the least. 
Remember Marino? From 37 TDs / 23 INTs his junior year to 17 TDs / 23 INTs his senior year. A lot of teams made a huge mistake passing on him.

Remember Marino? From 37 TDs / 23 INTs his junior year to 17 TDs / 23 INTs his senior year. A lot of teams made a huge mistake passing on him.
Before my time.

I'm just talking about what I see... What's in front of me... Darnold just hasnt been great this year, but his pedigree remains. Id still happily have him.

Mayfield is infront of me, w back to back stellar seasons, balls out, demands to win, and is NOT Manziel.

Before my time.

I'm just talking about what I see... What's in front of me... Darnold just hasnt been great this year, but his pedigree remains. Id still happily have him.

Mayfield is infront of me, w back to back stellar seasons, balls out, demands to win, and is NOT Manziel.
Darnold is safest pick but stat wise I can see Mayfield outperforming him.  I could see Darnold with an Aikman like career. Winning but not piling up huge stats.

Rosen's injury history is a concern.

ESPN's Adam Schefter said on Saturday that he "guarantees" that Oklahoma senior QB Baker Mayfield will be a first-round pick in the draft.

"And I will bet you he goes higher than people think," Schefter said on the Worldwide Leader. Mayfield is currently the toast of the town, having just won the Heisman Trophy on the strength of 4,340 passing yards and a 41/5 TD/INT ratio. He's drawn some comps to washed out QB Johnny Manziel for his occasionally improvisational style of play, though an anonymous NFC scout told NFL.com earlier this month that "Baker sees the field" and does not have nearly the same tendencies for ill-advised gonna-try-to-do-it-all throws.

Source: Sooner Gridiron 

Dec 10 - 2:21 PM

I certainly hope he doesn't go to the Browns...

Congratz to him on the Heisman!
Would agree. I'm a Bills fan and as much as I'd love to have him, I would never be able to trust that Buffalo will ever have a coaching staff that can take advantage of their personnel. I mean right now we have an OC that thinks screens and checkdowns to Mike Tolbert on 3rd and long is the best playcall in the world, and our HC defends this clown. Mayfield to the Giants would be very interesting.

Pro Football Focus's Steve Palazzolo rates Oklahoma senior QB Baker Mayfield the top pro prospect of any quarterback playing in the bowl games, regardless of class.

USC's Sam Darnold ranks second, with UCLA's Josh Rosen coming in third. Palazzolo admits that they're higher on Mayfield than most, but believes that what he lacks in size, he makes up for in accuracy and ability to handle pressure. He has the highest rating of any quarterback according to PFF, with a score of 92.6. It'll be fascinating to see how he handles the Georgia defense on New Year's Day in the Rose Bowl.

Source: ESPN

Dec 12 - 6:05 PM

When asked how many quarterbacks would go in Round 1 next spring, ESPN's Todd McShay answered four, with Oklahoma senior QB Baker Mayfield being one of them.

Mayfield has been trending this way all season, but he will need a great pre-draft process to seal the deal. "Mayfield has elite leadership abilities that make up for his physical shortcomings and has improved his draft stock tremendously," McShay wrote. His colleague Mel Kiper isn't quite as confident that Mayfield will crash the Day 1 party. "He's on the fringe," Kiper wrote. "He is listed at 6-foot-1, but I think he's closer to 6 feet. Russell Wilson is the only NFL starting quarterback under 6 feet tall, and Drew Brees is the only NFL starting quarterback right at 6 feet. That's it. Neither was drafted in the first round." Mayfield is expected to be named the Heisman Trophy winner on Saturday night.

Source: ESPN

Dec 5 - 12:48 PM

Browns GM John Dorsey called Oklahoma senior Baker Mayfield "a good quarterback, no matter how tall he is."

Dorsey says he has watched six Mayfield games and brought up names like Russell Wilson and Chase Daniel. There's quite a gap between those two, but Dorsey has history with Daniel dating back to his Chiefs days. Mayfield's name will be linked with the Browns, but remember that Hue Jackson has a height threshold of 6-foot-2 inches. So if Mayfield is the pick, a simple explanation is Dorsey overruled him.

Source: SI.com

Dec 13 - 2:05 PM

Users who are viewing this thread