Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Baker Mayfield - Still has more Swag than OBJ and Jarvis combined!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll back Hue up on this one. He reserves the right to tell Tyrod he's not starting to his face, not to a reporter right after the game ends. The guy suffered a concussion and was hurting, no need to

I really can't stand the Manziel comparisons. He may take the competitiveness a little overboard once in a while but I'd rather have that mentality leading the team and galvanizing the locker room tha

Got a good story about Mayfield... After he transferred from Texas Tech & walked on at Oklahoma, he had to sit out a year. Technically eligible to play on intramural teams since he wasn't on

1 hour ago, Peak said:

So Baker is one of 5 finalist for the NFL Pepsi ROY - along with Chubb, Barkley, Darius Leonard, and Phillip Lindsay.  Pretty feel good story seeing two Browns rookies on that list in Baker and Chubb.  All of them have merit to take home the award, but seeing as how this is a Baker thread - I'll put my vote behind him to win it!  Baker walked away for 7 of the ROW honors this year, more than triples the next closest person, who also happens to be nominated (Chubb).  Barkley was left out in the cold with one Weekly award.  Could this be another award bestowed upon the young rookie QB in CLE?

I have him at about 75% chance to win it now. Him winning Rookie if the Week with a 50% completion, 3 interception, losing performance convinced me of that.  Wentz, Goff, and Mahomes aren't exactly the most interesting personalities, and they are the new wave of talented young QBs. The league is looking for the new Brett Favre. Mayfield is their guy and they are going to promote him all they can.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Soulfly3 said:

Ya, this is the only reason he'll win. 

Nailed it

Ha. You're so fragile. Relax. I've said all along that he's deserving and I wouldn't be surprised to see him win. I said I slightly favor Barkley.  Look it up.  

I changed my mind for the reason I gave. Him winming ROW for week 17. Go out and get some fresh air. 

On 1/1/2019 at 4:07 PM, JuniorNB said:

http://m.espn.com/nfl/leagueleaders?groupId=9&season=2018&seasonType=2&statgroup=passing&category=quarterbackRating

Best #19th ranked QB in league history.  27 TDs/14 interceptions is not very good.  You guys are drunk on Kool-Aid.  That's actually below average. 19 of 32.  He's going to be good. But relax.  

Those numbers looks pretty good next to Peyton Manning's rookie season of 26TDS / 28 Picks.

47 minutes ago, DropKick said:

Those numbers looks pretty good next to Peyton Manning's rookie season of 26TDS / 28 Picks.

For a rookie, yes. They're very good. 

If we're talking MVP, less so.

• 2 weeks later...

"Baking with Baker" is the cooking show that you never knew you needed.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Cooper: Do you like Kitchens?         Baker:  I love Kitchens!       Cooper: Yes, Kitchens are great to have in the house.

Baker: Anything's better than Hue..........I mean You.

Cooper: Grab those nuts.            Baker: The NFL doesn't like when I do that.

• Like 2
On 1/1/2019 at 5:12 PM, amnesiac said:

“You guys are drunk on Kool-Aid”

OH YEAH!!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 12/27/2018 at 1:18 PM, Bracie Smathers said:
On 12/27/2018 at 1:12 PM, amnesiac said:

i hope Mayfield doesn't win OROY and it just adds to that chip he seems to carry on his shoulder.

Hope plays no part in this he's NOT going to win.  Saquon will win.  

The dismissal of Mayfield should add to that chip and it will pay off for Browns fans.

Saquon Barkley named 2018 Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year

New York Giants running back Saquon Barkley has been named the 2018 Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year, 

On 1/31/2019 at 11:44 PM, amnesiac said:

i believe the Pepsi thing is a fan vote.  

the AP OROY is announced on Saturday.  

Saquon Barkley voted AP Offensive Rookie of the Year over Baker Mayfield.

Saquon Barkley wins offensive rookie of the year

Barkley received 26.5 votes to 21.5 for Mayfield. Colts offensive guard Quenton Nelson, the only offensive rookie to make first-team All-Pro, received the other two votes.

Tom Withers✔@twithersAP

Saquon Barkley voted AP Offensive Rookie of the Year over Baker Mayfield. Barkley received, 26.5 votes, Mayfield 21.5.

5:32 PM - Feb 2, 2019

------------------------------------------

Tom Withers‏Verified account @twithersAP 10h10 hours ago

To be clear, AP awards are voted on by a nationwide panel of media members who regularly cover the league _ not AP writers. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll say it again.

If Baker Mayfield took an 0-16 NY Giant team that had won 4 games in the past three years, was a laughingstock of the NFL for decades and single handedly turned that team sitting in the media capital of the world and if Saquon Barkley was in Cleveland and had only won 2 more games than the previous year.

Baker Mayfield would have won OROY in a landslide.

Edited by Bracie Smathers
8 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Saquon Barkley voted AP Offensive Rookie of the Year over Baker Mayfield.

Tom Withers✔@twithersAP

Saquon Barkley voted AP Offensive Rookie of the Year over Baker Mayfield. Barkley received, 26.5 votes, Mayfield 21.5.

5:32 PM - Feb 2, 2019

------------------------------------------

Tom Withers‏Verified account @twithersAP 10h10 hours ago

To be clear, AP awards are voted on by a nationwide panel of media members who regularly cover the league _ not AP writers. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll say it again.

If Baker Mayfield took an 0-16 NY Giant team that had won 4 games in the past three years, was a laughingstock of the NFL for decades and single handedly turned that team sitting in the media capital of the world and if Saquon Barkley was in Cleveland and had only won 2 more games than the previous year.

Baker Mayfield would have won OROY in a landslide.

Barkley is a generational talent who entered the league and immediately became the best running back. And did it behind one of the worst offensive lines in the league.  Mayfield was a top 15 QB.  This one wasn't even a race. Come on. 

2 minutes ago, JuniorNB said:

Barkley is a generational talent who entered the league and immediately became the best running back. And did it behind one of the worst offensive lines in the league.  Mayfield was a top 15 QB.  This one wasn't even a race. Come on. 

Barkley is nothing but a RB and they do nothing compared to a QB and Baker Mayfield just had the best rookie performance of any QB as he turned around a perennial losing team.  

If the tables were turned Mayfield would have won in a landslide.

You can look at it this way. No Baker Mayfield, no wins again....maybe 1 or 2 max. He's going to turn a franchise around. Barkley, great talent, will not be turning the franchise around without a Baker Mayfield at QB. Greatest rookie season EVER for a QB loses to a great rookie season by a RB.

Should have just made them co-ROYs. Bad year to be the best rookie QB ever. Both deserved the award.

Just a couple of thoughts:

The OROY is voted on by sportswriters, who have consistently shown that they are journalism majors first (and sometimes they aren’t so great at that either), cliquish group thinkers second, and football expertise can be very often far down their list of qualifications.  If a guy like Woody Paige is one of their foremost professionals, that tells you exactly how “qualified” they are as a group.

If you were starting a franchise today based upon performance, would you rather build around Mayfield or Barkley?

Seriously though, who cares who won the award?  They both had great years.  It would have been interesting if Mayfield had started all year with Kitchens coaching.  Barkley did have the advantage of getting fed the ball early and often.  We’ll see how it shakes out for their careers, but it looks like the NFL has two bright potential superstars entering their ranks, which is great for the league and for fans if the league can find a way to stop torpedoing itself year after year.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Barkley is nothing but a RB and they do nothing compared to a QB and Baker Mayfield just had the best rookie performance of any QB as he turned around a perennial losing team.  

If the tables were turned Mayfield would have won in a landslide.

In most years, the award would have gone to Mayfield. But Barkley gained over 2000 yards behind a bottom 5 line.  According to your moronic theory, they should just rename it Rookie QB of the Year, since you don't see any other positions matter. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

Seriously though, who cares who won the award?  They both had great years.

They did and it wouldn't matter if it wasn't foreordained months ago and for one particular stat.

The AP began awarding an OROY back in 1957 when a phenom RB from Syracuse took the NFL by storm in an era when teams were built around RBs.  A HOF RB named Jim Brown.

In the ensuing 60 years Cleveland have never had a rookie win OROY by the AP.  

The AP awarded  WR Odell Beckum Junior OROY four years ago.

3 minutes ago, JuniorNB said:

In most years, the award would have gone to Mayfield. But Barkley gained over 2000 yards behind a bottom 5 line.  According to your moronic theory, they should just rename it Rookie QB of the Year, since you don't see any other positions matter. 

In 1999 the AP awarded RB Edgrin James the OROY award.

Peyton Manning was a rookie the same year.

Edge had a great rookie year but he's a footnote in Peytons HOF career as he should be.

Pretty moronic to think a OROY award should not have any weight on how a rookie will continue to perform at a high level and how their production impacts team wins.

12 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

They did and it wouldn't matter if it wasn't foreordained months ago and for one particular stat.

The AP began awarding an OROY back in 1957 when a phenom RB from Syracuse took the NFL by storm in an era when teams were built around RBs.  A HOF RB named Jim Brown.

In the ensuing 60 years Cleveland have never had a rookie win OROY by the AP.  

The AP awarded  WR Odell Beckum Junior OROY four years ago.

Edge had a great rookie year but he's a footnote in Peytons HOF career as he should be.

Pretty moronic to think a OROY award should not have any weight on how a rookie will continue to perform at a high level and how their production impacts team wins.

What?  Did I claim that Mayfield wouldn't have a successful career?   He had a great rookie year. He would have won rookie of the year in most seasons. Not sure how clearly I have to state that for you to grasp it. If it was Rookie MVP, and you have a stronger case. His numbers weren't even top ten at his position. Barkley was clearly the Rookie of the Year. The fans voted him so and now the writers voted him so. If it were only up to Browns fans, I'm sure Mayfield would get it. He'd win league MVP too. Lol

1 minute ago, JuniorNB said:

His numbers weren't even top ten at his position. Barkley was

Because he plays a position where numbers are guaranteed to be good if the player is 'ok' like Eddie Lacy and Mike Anderson and Anthony 'The A-Train' Thomas who won AP OROY.

By your standards the guy who should have won it this year HANDS DOWN is OG Quentin Nelson who not only made Pro Bowl but was named as a starter on the ALL-PRO team.  

ALL- PRO starter on the offensive line where it typically takes a player years to get enough recognition to get votes let alone be named starter.

Your boi wasn't named starter on the ALL-PRO ballot.   Q was and he deserved it and by your standard should be the hands down OROY because its not the RB rookie of the year award or is it?

In the 62 years that the AP has awarded OROY it has given the award to 

• 41 RBs 
  • 8 QBs  

Why?  Because morons probably only use rookie production and say a rookie QB wasn't as productive as a veteran QB.    Chalk up another Edgrin James over Peyton Manning because history shows that vote to be spot on, lol.  

1 hour ago, JuniorNB said:

Agreed. I said back in December (I think in this thread) that I might give the edge to Mayfield, but that Barkley would win.  And he did. 

Edited by Ghost Rider
29 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Because he plays a position where numbers are guaranteed to be good if the player is 'ok' like Eddie Lacy and Mike Anderson and Anthony 'The A-Train' Thomas who won AP OROY.

By your standards the guy who should have won it this year HANDS DOWN is OG Quentin Nelson who not only made Pro Bowl but was named as a starter on the ALL-PRO team.  

ALL- PRO starter on the offensive line where it typically takes a player years to get enough recognition to get votes let alone be named starter.

Your boi wasn't named starter on the ALL-PRO ballot.   Q was and he deserved it and by your standard should be the hands down OROY because its not the RB rookie of the year award or is it?

In the 62 years that the AP has awarded OROY it has given the award to 

• 41 RBs 
  • 8 QBs  

Why?  Because morons probably only use rookie production and say a rookie QB wasn't as productive as a veteran QB.    Chalk up another Edgrin James over Peyton Manning because history shows that vote to be spot on, lol.  

Lol. I knew this was going to crush you. As soon as Barkley won.  Yeah, he won the fan voting and the football writers voting. Everyone is a moron. Except for genius Bracey 🤣🤣

1 minute ago, JuniorNB said:

Lol. I knew this was going to crush you. As soon as Barkley won.  Yeah, he won the fan voting and the football writers voting. Everyone is a moron. Except for genius Bracey 🤣🤣

Hardly crushing to see this one or make the call or see it coming months before making the call.

Never in the history of AP voting OROY have they ever voted an offensive lineman OROY and Quentin Nelson should have been the first O-Lineman named AP OROY.  

Saquon was good, Baker was better, Quentin Nelson was the best OROY and should have been the first offensive lineman given the award but the AP gave it to another RB because voting for and awarding the first offensive lineman would have taken courage and brains. 

1 minute ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Hardly crushing to see this one or make the call or see it coming months before making the call.

Never in the history of AP voting OROY have they ever voted an offensive lineman OROY and Quentin Nelson should have been the first O-Lineman named AP OROY.  

Saquon was good, Baker was better, Quentin Nelson was the best OROY and should have been the first offensive lineman given the award but the AP gave it to another RB because voting for and awarding the first offensive lineman would have taken courage and brains. 

The fact that you're not the one who determines NFL award winners is mind boggling. It's clear that professional NFL writers have less football knowledge than you. 😂

Just now, JuniorNB said:

The fact that you're not the one who determines NFL award winners is mind boggling. It's clear that professional NFL writers have less football knowledge than you. 😂

You think a rookie who plays QB isn't worthy of OROY unless they post top three stats.

No rookie QB has ever posted top-three stats as a rookie.

YOU think rookie QBs should post stats of veteran QBs when none has ever.

I expected you to make insults and use emojis.  That is your character. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

You think a rookie who plays QB isn't worthy of OROY unless they post top three stats.

Um, he just said that Mayfield would have won rookie of the year most years, but didn't this year because of what an incredible seasons Barkley had. Are you even reading these posts you are replying to? 

Edited by Ghost Rider
  • Laughing 1
6 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

No rookie QB has ever posted top-three stats as a rookie.

YOU think rookie QBs should post stats of veteran QBs when none has ever.

I expected you to make insults and use emojis.  That is your character. 

I'm going to repeat this, because reading obviously isn't your strong suit....

In a lot of years, Mayfield would have won OROY.  

Can I be clearer? In that sentence, did I imply a qb can't win rookie of the year unless they post top 3 stats?  Stop making up lies to make yourself sound less wrong.  Saquon Barkley had an all-time great rookie year. The fact that he did it behind a horrible offensive line makes it even more impressive. That is why Mayfield did not win the award, not because he isnt a very promising NFL quarterback.  Calm down. You're taking this worse than I thought you would.

Edited by JuniorNB
2 minutes ago, JuniorNB said:

I'm going to repeat this, because reading obviously isn't your strong suit....

Posted January 1 JuniorNB

• Middle-of-the-pack ranked quarterback leads team to a .500 record and this guy has him as the best ever.  

Posted January 1

• Imagine if Mayfield's numbers ever put him in the top ten at quarterback. 
  • Best #19th ranked QB in league history. 
  •  I'm not anointing Mayfield as Joe Montana Jr just yet.  I've said a ton of positive things about him.  I'm just not ready to do cartwheels over the 19th rated quarterback in the league. 
  •  I only point out that he was the 19th best QB when a few people here start with the hyperbole.
  • , it doesn't change the fact that he was officially the 19th ranked quarterback. 

---------------------------------------

Then you switched to Baker having loads of talent take and ran that into the ground.

I've said Saquon is great but that Baker is better.  He had the best statistical season of any rookie QB in the history of the NFL.  

I saw what Quentin Nelson did.  He was not only great but he improved that entire offensive line, made Mack a Pro Bowl RB, made Luck a comeback player of the year.  

No one ever had as great of a singular season and had that sort of effect on a unit and on an entire team that Quentin Nelson did.

And no rookie QB ever had as great of a statistical season or had as much of an impact on a team and a city as Baker Mayfield.

Saquon is great and should have won OROY in a year without Baker or Quentin.

8 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Posted January 1 JuniorNB

• Middle-of-the-pack ranked quarterback leads team to a .500 record and this guy has him as the best ever.  

Posted January 1

• Imagine if Mayfield's numbers ever put him in the top ten at quarterback. 
  • Best #19th ranked QB in league history. 
  •  I'm not anointing Mayfield as Joe Montana Jr just yet.  I've said a ton of positive things about him.  I'm just not ready to do cartwheels over the 19th rated quarterback in the league. 
  •  I only point out that he was the 19th best QB when a few people here start with the hyperbole.
  • , it doesn't change the fact that he was officially the 19th ranked quarterback. 

---------------------------------------

Then you switched to Baker having loads of talent take and ran that into the ground.

I've said Saquon is great but that Baker is better.  He had the best statistical season of any rookie QB in the history of the NFL.  

I saw what Quentin Nelson did.  He was not only great but he improved that entire offensive line, made Mack a Pro Bowl RB, made Luck a comeback player of the year.  

No one ever had as great of a singular season and had that sort of effect on a unit and on an entire team that Quentin Nelson did.

And no rookie QB ever had as great of a statistical season or had as much of an impact on a team and a city as Baker Mayfield.

Saquon is great and should have won OROY in a year without Baker or Quentin.

Scoreboard buddy. That's all I can say. Voted on by pros. Not some message board guy. Sorry 

16 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Called by me months before it happened because I knew the history and how the NY writers had already cast their votes in August.

Ahh. Now the excuses. You're pathetic. 

Although I never agreed with it, I actually switched my pic to Mayfieldafter the league gave him rookie of the week in a losing effort where he threw three interceptions against the Ravens. It was obvious then that he is the new Golden boy they're trying to promote.  although he 100% deserved it, I was actually a little surprised that Barkley won it

Edited by JuniorNB
2 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

You change your takes by the hour so I'll stop at this one where we agree. 

Baker Mayfeild deserved to win the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year over Saquon Barkley at a 3 to 1 margin.

Lol.  Scoreboard.  Get well soon. 

I will say, it probably would have been more exciting at Mayfield one. He would have no doubt grabbed his crotch and whined about how Hugh Jackson held him back. Barkley is so adult and stuff. 

Edited by JuniorNB
Just now, JuniorNB said:

Lol.  Scoreboard.  Get well soon. 

Score-boarded by your own takes and it wasn't difficult. 

As easy as calling a RB to win AP OROY who win that award at an 9-1 margin over any other position.   Wow, another RB wins OROY.  What does that make it 41 out of 62 years?  That was a tough call. 

LOL, don't get well, just be you.  

3 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Score-boarded by your own takes and it wasn't difficult. 

As easy as calling a RB to win AP OROY who win that award at an 9-1 margin over any other position.   Wow, another RB wins OROY.  What does that make it 41 out of 62 years?  That was a tough call. 

LOL, don't get well, just be you.  

So 21 non-running backs won it and Mayfield couldn't? Yikes

Also, if you think 41 of 62 is a 9-1 ratio, it explains why you're doing so poorly here this morning.

Edited by JuniorNB
Just now, JuniorNB said:

So 21non-running backs won it and Mayfield couldn't? Yikes

That is how you would see a watered down stat like 

• 42-8 RBs over QBs
  • 42-8 RBs over WRs
  • 42-1 RBs over TEs
  • 42-0 RBs over OL

Yep, not heavily favored by anyone other than RBs but gee wiz how come a QB didn't win over a RB.

THAT is what I expect out of you.

Ahh. Now the excuses. You're pathetic. 

Although I never agreed with it, I actually switched my pic to Mayfieldafter the league gave him rookie of the week in a losing effort where he threw three interceptions against the Ravens. It was obvious then that he is the new Golden boy they're trying to promote.  although he 100% deserved it, I was actually a little surprised that Barkley won it

holy ####.  you keep bringing up the three INTs, while ignoring the TDs and yards.  

it’s really tiring. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

holy ####.  you keep bringing up the three INTs, while ignoring the TDs and yards.  

it’s really tiring. 

You think three TDs and three Ints is a good QB performance?  Turnovers are the worst thing a quarterback can do. 

9 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

and to be clear, i don’t care about OROY.  

but your back-handed “compliments” to Mayfield are just awkward.  

No, they're realistic. I only feel the need to present facts when the hyperbole gets too strong. He's good. May even be great one day. Year two will tell a lot. Cleveland is going to be a lot of peoples' sleeper team in the AFC. Things will change next year. They're no longer the horrible team that everybody thinks is going to improve. They are expected to be a playoff team. Teams have a year of film now  And Mayfield will have to play in big games. Under pressure. That's how you rate a quarterback. How they perform when the chips are down. There's no reason to think he won't succeed. But the fact remains, he hasn't done it yet. 

4 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Manning’s rookie year was 1998.  He lost OROY to Randy Moss who absolutely deserved it with the year he (and the Vikings) had.

That said I think Baker should have won it this year.  As a dynasty owner, I’m kind of glad he didn’t.  Let’s keep growing that chip on the shoulder!

Edited by Ted Lange as your Bartender
55 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

it’s really tiring. 

Agreed.  Over and over and over again.  Just for reference, hanging 3 TDs on that D was something Brees, Roethlisberger (twice), Mahomes (the league MVP), Ryan, and Rivers amongst others could not do.  He also threw for more yards and the best ypa than any QB BAL - the best D in the NFL this year - faced this year.  But let’s focus on the 3 INTs in that game as the measuring stick for sure.

Edited by Bronco Billy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No, they're realistic. I only feel the need to present facts when the hyperbole gets too strong. He's good. May even be great one day. Year two will tell a lot. Cleveland is going to be a lot of peoples' sleeper team in the AFC. Things will change next year. They're no longer the horrible team that everybody thinks is going to improve. They are expected to be a playoff team. Teams have a year of film now  And Mayfield will have to play in big games. Under pressure. That's how you rate a quarterback. How they perform when the chips are down. There's no reason to think he won't succeed. But the fact remains, he hasn't done it yet. 

you are correct.  

i agree with all of your points in this post. 

let’s all try to keep things a bit more even. 

just my two cents.