Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Baker Mayfield - Still has more Swag than OBJ and Jarvis combined!

On 9/22/2019 at 11:56 PM, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

This team has so much damned talent on offense. Is it Baker who is all to blame? Offensive coordination? A bit of column A and column B?

Combo of the OL isn't playing well, teams have now have some tape on him, OC questionable play calling and not throwing against PAC12 defenses 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll back Hue up on this one. He reserves the right to tell Tyrod he's not starting to his face, not to a reporter right after the game ends. The guy suffered a concussion and was hurting, no need to

I really can't stand the Manziel comparisons. He may take the competitiveness a little overboard once in a while but I'd rather have that mentality leading the team and galvanizing the locker room tha

Got a good story about Mayfield... After he transferred from Texas Tech & walked on at Oklahoma, he had to sit out a year. Technically eligible to play on intramural teams since he wasn't on

Baker Mayfield completed just 8-of-22 passes for 100 scoreless yards and two interceptions in the Browns' Week 5 loss to the 49ers Monday night.

He was pulled with the Browns trailing 31-3 with under five minutes left. That's an abysmal 36.4% completion rate and 13.4 passer rating. Mayfield was also sacked four times and fumbled twice, losing one. After looking like they may have turned a corner last week in an impressive road win over the Ravens, the Browns completely bottomed out on national television. Mayfield didn't completed a pass until the final play of the first quarter, and that was after tossing a pick to Richard Sherman and losing his fumble. The Niners' defensive line owned the Browns' offensive front five, as Nick Bosa was wrecking the game. Mayfield continues to look frightened in the pocket behind this awful line and is panicking on every throw. His second pick was a bad drop by Antonio Callaway at the goal line that should have been a touchdown. Cleveland is now on a short week ahead of a home date with the Seahawks. Mayfield isn't a one-QB league fantasy option.

Edited by The Frankman
2 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

Mayfield isn't a one-QB league fantasy option.

He just became benched in Superflex when Darnold comes back, that's for sure. Goodbye, good riddance. Watch you roll right anymore? Nah, nope, not a whit.

6 minutes ago, rockaction said:

He just became benched in Superflex when Darnold comes back, that's for sure. Goodbye, good riddance. Watch you roll right anymore? Nah, nope, not a whit.

I was hopeful this roll right thing died last week then it returned with a vengeance tonight. His pocket management fell off a cliff from last year. 

1 minute ago, MAC_32 said:

I was hopeful this roll right thing died last week then it returned with a vengeance tonight. His pocket management fell off a cliff from last year. 

What pocket? 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

wow, it got real quiet in here for a week. 

hope you kids are all talking redraft and not dynasty.  

I know you're a homer, but we can save this for posterity, hopefully. 

Where's Soulfly3? Somewhere in the Chubb thread? Or maybe in the useless Gordon thread?

Totes useless, Mayfield and Gordon. Watch Gordon's snaps get reduced after they watch game film of that performance Sunday. 

• Like 2
  • Laughing 2
7 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

I'm not sure who the QB coach is but he should probably be on the hit seat.   Someone needs to settle Mayfield down and coach him up.

1 minute ago, Godsbrother said:

I'm not sure who the QB coach is but he should probably be on the hit seat.   Someone needs to settle Mayfield down and coach him up.

There is a theory floating around about the Browns not retaining Zampese, but given his track record before last year it strikes me as a matter of convenience and not legitimacy. 

48 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Agree the pass protection sucks but Mayfield is too quick to panic and leave the pocket when it IS there.

That is what happens when you get shell shocked. He has lost a lot of confidence due to taking a massive beating. The game seems like 1000 miles per hour to him and his play shows that. Saw that in week 1 actually. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Concept Coop said:

It also seems like he’s looking for the home run ball too much, trying to get everything in one play. 

I don't know why we haven't seen the Browns using the screen game more.

I don't know why Baker hasn't been dumping the ball off for 5 yard gains into the flats on a more consistent basis.

The coaching staff hasn't been calling the best of games and they're not doing a good enough job hiding their weaknesses on offense (pass blocking and QB decision making).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Baker Mayfield has a clearly defined weakness to overcome

Through 18 games of his NFL career, Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield has a clearly defined weakness. He struggles against teams that present a consistent pass rush without relying on blitzes ..

... In situations where Mayfield can't quickly decipher where a throw should go either because the defense is doing a good job in coverage or he's not making the right read, he holds onto the ball too long, tries to extend plays and takes bad sacks.

There are times when Mayfield has been able to extend plays and make things happen, but the reward is not worth the risk. In multiple games, it has made winning the game far more difficult or straight lost it.

Part of the problem is because Mayfield has been doing this, it's becoming a reputation and opposing pass rushers are playing hard the whole way, thinking they'll have an opportunity to get him on second and third efforts.

The result is Mayfield is beating himself before the opponent has a chance. There are simply too many negative plays that can be laid at his feet. Incomplete passes are better than sacks. Punts are better than turnovers. It's important to note that nothing happening is something that can't be fixed. It's not a fatal flaw and the fact that Mayfield isn't cowering in these situations is important. If anything, he's relying on himself too much, not willing to trust his teammates to do their jobs.

He can also improve his accuracy and make it more consistent, which has been his trademark. His mechanics can continue to get better and he can stop missing passes he shouldn't, typically high.

Mayfield's competitiveness may be part of the issue in why he is unwilling to give up on plays, but it's also the reason it's easy to believe he will get through it. From walk on to transfer to the Heisman Trophy and the top overall pick in the NFL Draft, Mayfield's history is one of addressing and overcoming weakness.

Its a good nutshell take.

1 hour ago, ty247 said:

I don't know why we haven't seen the Browns using the screen game more.

I don't know why Baker hasn't been dumping the ball off for 5 yard gains into the flats on a more consistent basis.

The coaching staff hasn't been calling the best of games and they're not doing a good enough job hiding their weaknesses on offense (pass blocking and QB decision making).

I agree: play calling has been an issue as well. They have a top RB, WR, and slot guy - it shouldn’t be this hard to move that ball. I have no idea why they don’t use Landry more like Miami did - they’re always running him deep - it would open things up for everyone. I also feel like they get cute too often on first down. Incomplete pass deep, 3 yard run, incomplete pass deep, punt.

Don't underestimate coaching incompetence here. That article Bracie posted is spot on but his coaches are doing him no favors. Takes me back to 2007 when Frank Gore was a powerhouse with SF and then along came incompetent coaching. Gore's receiving numbers plummeted. The team started losing left and right. The FO called a guy out of retirement to help the OC Hostler because he had no clue. Paid him to revamp the game plan. He told them to dump passes to Gore because of this same issue. They had lost 7 straight games and Gore had been ineffective. He ended that game with 200+ combined yards. Dilfer had by far his best game of the season beating a superior team of ARI - Warner, Boldin, Fitz. The guy left - mission accomplished? Nope the Hoslter clown reverted back to what he knew: nothing.

https://www.baltimoresportsandlife.com/jim-hostler-even-qualified-install-nfl-offense/

5 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

He's too arrogant and knows it all already.  Guy will be out of the league in 3 years.

5 hours ago, Faust said:

Wow.

I knew Mayfield wanted to grow his own perception of being a "brash upstart."

Didn't know he was a disrespectful, thoughtless, classless goof, either.

Time to grow up and leave the frat boy mentality behind, Baker.

1 hour ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Wow.

I knew Mayfield wanted to grow his own perception of being a "brash upstart."

Didn't know he was a disrespectful, thoughtless, classless goof, either.

Time to grow up and leave the frat boy mentality behind, Baker.

Looking at those videos, seems I should retract this. Or maybe replace the words "Mayfield" and "Baker" with "Sherman" and "Richard?"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Agree the pass protection sucks but Mayfield is too quick to panic and leave the pocket when it IS there.

:lol:  after 1.5 seconds of getting the snap BOSA was in his back.    The left tackle blocked for Mayfield as if Mayfield was ####### his wife. 

6 minutes ago, Statorama said:

You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m buying low.  His value is rock bottom right now, and he’s got too many weapons.  

Agree, but "buy" might be the wrong term.  He will be free on many many waiver wires and I wouldn't give a thing up for him.

• Like 1

Peter King @peter_king

The problem with 9 million people covering the NFL is that there is weekly instant analysis of everything. Most often, it’s like the weather. If you don’t like it, just wait—it’ll change soon. Taking the temperature of Mayfield after 18 starts (with a bad OL) is meaningless.