What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Baker Mayfield, TB (1 Viewer)

So he isn’t Peter Dinklage’s twin after all...
Yeah, those measurements are great. Hands are a bit on the small side, but it didn't seem to affect him at all in college.

He's real close to being the #1 QB in my book. Still like Rosen a bit better, but Mayfield could be really good.

Yeah, those measurements are great. Hands are a bit on the small side, but it didn't seem to affect him at all in college.

He's real close to being the #1 QB in my book. Still like Rosen a bit better, but Mayfield could be really good.
He's #1 for me - I think he's going to be a great value in rookie drafts. 

One NFL executive who interviewed Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield told USA Today's Mike Jones the QB "gets it."

As we always say, certain teams will mesh with certain quarterbacks and others won't. Mayfield has been in front of NFL teams quite a bit so far this draft season, going through Senior Bowl practices and now participating in NFL Combine activities.

Source: Mike Jones on Twitter 

Mar 3 - 10:56 AM

Doug Gottlieb‏Verified account @GottliebShow 5m5 minutes ago

• Baker Mayfield 4.81
  • Fayetteville police 4.79
----------------------------------

Baa daa boom, bing!  Rimshot.

Everything coming up Soulfly. 
@Soulfly3 - How would you feel about an NFL Draft where the Browns took Barkley with the first overall pick and then landed Mayfield with the fourth pick?

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo passes along that there's a "very strong buzz" that the Cleveland Browns like Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield "a lot."

Mayfield will receive one of Cleveland's pre-draft official visit this spring. They're expected to meet with a number of quarterbacks in the coming weeks. We're somewhat dubious as to whether Mayfield is actually worth a top-five selection, but have yet to see any indication that teams are beginning to cool on the Heisman winner. Beyond Mayfield, both Garafolo and colleague Ian Rapoport are hearing that Penn State RB Saquon Barkley will very much be in consideration for the No. 1 selection in April.

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter 

Mar 4 - 7:24 PM

Been my dream for a solid 2mos now.
Seems a very strong possibilty that he'd fall to 4, pretty good chance they could trade down a ways and still land him. It would be too risky if they like him enough, but potentially they could trade down to 15, Arizona could take Rosen, and Mayfield would still be there at 15. 

They won't do that, but it seems like it could work out. 

Guess he's risen up a bit after the combine. But for a while he was even being discussed as a 2nd day pick, or to the saints.
I hadn't seen a mock where he wasn't taken at 5 or 6 - but obviously those things aren't definitive. A lot of times these mocks are QB heavy at the top and then when the real draft comes they do fall so I guess it could happen.

I hadn't seen a mock where he wasn't taken at 5 or 6 - but obviously those things aren't definitive. A lot of times these mocks are QB heavy at the top and then when the real draft comes they do fall so I guess it could happen.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2018charlie_1.php

1.22 Buffalo Bills: Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma 

This is the Chiefs' first-round pick traded to Buffalo when Kansas City moved up to pick No. 10 of the 2017 NFL Draft for Pat Mahomes. The Bills' actions indicate that they really don't view Tyrod Taylor as the future and their long-term starter. I think the regime in Buffalo will target its own quarterback in the 2018 NFL Draft. 

In speaking to multiple teams, they had second-day grades on Mayfield, but that doesn't mean he won't go in the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft. In speaking to a a couple of general managers, they thought Mayfield would go behind the top-10 quarterback prospects. Still, Mayfield could cause teams to fall in love with him and crack the top 10. It only takes one team, and Mayfield has some passionate believers. At the combine, team sources told me that Mayfield did well in his interviews and they liked how he threw the ball in his field work. 

Mayfield (6-0, 216) is a gritty gunslinger who has an "it factor" to his game. He doesn't have elite arm strength, but his arm is good enough to make the throws required in the NFL. One of Mayfield's most impressive strengths as a passer is being able to locate the ball well and throw receivers open. He is very good with his timing and trajectory on passes to hit receivers on the run and set them up for lots of yards after the catch. Mayfield is very skilled to loft in touch passes downfield and throws a very catchable ball. He has excellent mobility to dodge sacks, escape pressure and extend plays with his feet, plus he throws well on the run.

Sources say Mayfield can have issues reading defenses, and his field vision needs to improve. He can struggle to throw the ball in tight windows when being forced to operate out of the pocket. One big area of focus for Mayfield is his footwork as he gets happy feet in the pocket. One college scouting director told me that Mayfield's feet are terrible and he will need a lot of development there for the NFL. A NFC general manager said they have concerns about how Mayfield will perform when teams force him to stay in the pocket. They also have concerns that Mayfield beat up on a lot of weak Big XII defenses and feel there is the chance that he gets exposed against NFL defenses. Evaluators who had seen Mayfield in person would estimate him to be around 5-foot-11 or 6-foot, but he measured out at the combine as 6-foot-1. While there have been some successful short quarterbacks like Drew Brees and Russell Wilson, that is the exception to the norm for quarterbacks who are below 6-foot-2. 

Mayfield completed 71 percent of his passes in 2017 for 4,627 yards with 43 touchdowns and six interceptions. He also had five rushing touchdowns and one receiving. In 2016, Mayfield completed 71 percent of his passes for 3,965 yards with 40 touchdowns and eight interceptions. He picked up six rushing touchdowns as well.

Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield will meet with Dolphins officials for dinner next Tuesday in Norman (OK), then work out for the Fins privately after his Pro Day.

The Dolphins' interest in Mayfield hasn't been a secret, and likely also isn't a smokescreen considering their penchant for organizational leaks in recent years. The Fins' intentions are all too often public knowledge. The Dolphins hold the No. 11 overall pick in the draft, and Mayfield probably stands a 50-50 chance or worse of lasting that long. Miami might have to trade up to land him.

Related: Dolphins

Source: Miami Herald 

Mar 9 - 2:42 PM

I didn't make it, I was sick.

The best thing I've seen is a pic of NFL scouts smiling ear to ear as Mayfield cheered and hollered at his teammates during bench press and long jump. He had a fine day, 7 or 8 incompletions out of about 70. NFL folks got to see him be a leader. The sophomore DT that had no business declaring for the draft hugged him after his bench press. Watch the video, he looks angry, Baker looks like he's yelling angry things, then a hug. It's pretty awesome.

Gil Brandt told a story of the OU guys getting an itinerary and about five sheets of paper they've already seen before. After, they crumpled them up and (like basketball) shot them toward the basket. Mayfield swatted one and said something like "that's all you got?" And they clowned around and also got "their competitive juices flowing." Some frowned at them clowning around, some noticed what Baker did- he got them motivated and to forget how nervous they were. Obviously, Mayfield isn't for everyone and his personality rubs people the wrong way but at the same time people understand him and adore him.

Apparently, Johnnny Football was super accurate on the run at his pro day and Baker was too. I found it interesting that scouts didn't go to Russel Wilson or Mariota or Cam but Manziel. Been mocking that guy, almost forgot he was a top college player

Because he felt disrespected by them not shaking his hand.

They didn't shake his hand because they thought he was temperamental and they wanted to get under his skin.  Not that it would matter in the game but they were right. 
I'm going to say he is the one that got under their skin.

~900 yards, 11 TDs, 0 interceptions against Kansas.

The Dolphins are putting Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield through a private workout on Wednesday, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

The connection between Mayfield and the Dolphins has been a common one. The Dolphins have publicly stated Ryan Tannehill is their quarterback, but this workout and other buzz from beat writers suggest that is not the case. The Dolphins are just another team that could make a major move up in the draft.

Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter 

Mar 21 - 11:51 AM

"Cowherd believes Mayfield’s physique, attitude and playing style, combined with the Jets’ system and historic struggles finding capable quarterbacks, will put the 2017 Heisman Trophy winner’s NFL career path on a similar trajectory to that of famous flameout Johnny Manziel."

So it's not about Mayfield's talent alone but also because the Jets suck at the QB thing that's the problem. Talk about hedging your bets. God these clowns are getting tiresome.

"Cowherd believes Mayfield’s physique, attitude and playing style, combined with the Jets’ system and historic struggles finding capable quarterbacks, will put the 2017 Heisman Trophy winner’s NFL career path on a similar trajectory to that of famous flameout Johnny Manziel."

So it's not about Mayfield's talent alone but also because the Jets suck at the QB thing that's the problem. Talk about hedging your bets. God these clowns are getting tiresome.
Cowherd is the worst. He's probably the dumbest, least likable personality in sports talk. He knows nothing, and just says whatever gets the most reaction. An actual herd of cows might be a better source of information.

Last edited by a moderator:

...and how exactly would their "historic struggles finding capable quarterbacks" affect Mayfield?

and what "system" - they have a new OC this season?

So Mayfield being short and Christian Hackenberg being terrible is going to turn him into a drug addict and alcoholic?

...and how exactly would their "historic struggles finding capable quarterbacks" affect Mayfield?

and what "system" - they have a new OC this season?

So Mayfield being short and Christian Hackenberg being terrible is going to turn him into a drug addict and alcoholic?

These guys think they are the smartest guys in the room and yet are completely oblivious to knowing how idiotic the things that they say are.  It’s astounding.

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline relays that a "good number of league insiders" believe the New York Jets would use the No. 3 pick on Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield if USC QB Sam Darnold is off the board.

Pauline stresses that this is just a feeling from the league insiders he has spoken with, rather than something that is definitively going to happen. Should it happen, though, the analyst believes it would be a "colossal" mistake by Gang Green. Pauline would much prefer either Josh Rosen or Josh Allen in that No. 3 spot. We're of a similar mindset, especially given the capital that the Jets surrendered to move up from No. 6. If Mayfield is indeed their target, it's not a stretch to say that he may well have been available without their trading up at all.

Source: Draft Analyst 

Apr 3 - 1:20 PM

Users who are viewing this thread