What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Calvin Ridley, TEN (1 Viewer)

Calvin Ridley said his foot is "totally, definitely fixed" following surgery. 

Ridley missed Atlanta's OTAs after undergoing offseason surgery to repair the foot that bothered him for most of the 2020 season. Ridley managed 90 catches and nearly 1,400 receiving yards despite the foot issue, a remarkable feat in hindsight. Ridley is in line to be a target hog for the Falcons after Julio Jones departure to Tennessee. The fifth wide receiver off the draft board, Ridley could easily lead the NFL in targets this year. 

SOURCE: Scott Bair on Twitter 

Aug 3, 2021, 12:02 PM ET

Calvin Ridley caught 5-of-8 targets for 51 yards in Atlanta's Week 1 loss to Philadelphia.

Ridley dropped a corner route in the third quarter that could have upped the total into the sixties. This output was more of an indictment of the Atlanta offensive line than anything Ridley did or could have done -- it was such tough sledding for Matt Ryan that he didn't attempt a single pass deeper than 20 yards down the field. That line could continue to be a problem for Ridley as the Bucs head into Week 2's game against Tampa's vicious pass rush, and it probably puts Ridley closer to the WR1/2 borderline than a sure-fire must-start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Calvin Ridley caught 8-of-11 targets for 61 yards in the Falcons' Week 3 win over the Giants.

Ridley looked good in this game but the Falcons struggled to consistently maintain drives. Without a clear No. 2 option behind him, Ridley appears to be struggling with the additional defensive attention he's faced this season. He will have a chance for much stronger production in Week 4, against a Washington secondary that that proven to be much worse than expected so far this season.

Wow, two game blurbs about this guy in the last 2 months.

Is it Ridley struggling, Ryan, the offense in general...or it's the OC and this is what we can expect going forward?

I am concerned it's the latter, but I have not been able to watch a Falcons game closely.

Wow, two game blurbs about this guy in the last 2 months.

Is it Ridley struggling, Ryan, the offense in general...or it's the OC and this is what we can expect going forward?

I am concerned it's the latter, but I have not been able to watch a Falcons game closely.
I haven’t sat and watched them closely either, but everytime I see them Ryan is running for his life 

I recall reading 2-3 articles pre-season about Ridley having the real potential to be fantasy WR1, what a pity those giving that information out couldn't do a little more research into the Falcons OL which currently looks like a group of middle schoolers could push them around.

I recall reading 2-3 articles pre-season about Ridley having the real potential to be fantasy WR1, what a pity those giving that information out couldn't do a little more research into the Falcons OL which currently looks like a group of middle schoolers could push them around.

Yup, I fell for that one.

Is this where we say... "There's a lot of football to be played yet"

The volume has been good.  He just can't get down field.  aDOT last year:  15.2.  This year 9.0.  

Jarad Evans

⁦‪@PFF_Jarad⁩

Falcons average depth of target:

- Matt Ryan: 9.3 (7th)
- Calvin Ridley: 15.2

2021:
- Matt Ryan: 4.9 (31st)
- Calvin Ridley: 9.0

9/30/21, 10:12 AM

JJ Zachariason

⁦‪@LateRoundQB⁩

Calvin Ridley through 3 weeks, 2020:
15 targets of 15+ air yards, 195 yards on those targets, 2 TDs

Calvin Ridley through 3 weeks, 2021:
6 targets of 15+ air yards, 16 yards on those targets, 0 TDs

9/30/21, 9:36 AM

Drastic.  

Silva and Levitan discussed this on the ETR pod but is Arthur Smith not as sharp as we thought, or did Matt Ryan just turn to dust?  OLine sucks too but was it good last year?

Just moved Keenan for Ridley in 0.5 ppr. Not sure if i made a mistake or not but the TDs have to come at some point i would think. 

Calvin Ridley caught 8-of-13 targets for 80 yards in the Falcons' Week 4 loss to Washington. 

Ridley dominated targets for Atlanta and barely missed a couple long ball from Matt Ryan after three games in which he mostly operated as an intermediate option. Ridley's usage was encouraging even if his final stat line wasn't eye popping. He's clearly the No. 1 pass catcher in a Falcons offense that will almost always be forced into pass-heavy game script -- a role that will eventually pay dividends for those who drafted Ridley in the second round of redraft leagues. He'll continue to be a far more valuable option in PPR formats than in standard leagues next week against the Jets.

Disappointed in this guy in terms of td's but the targets are there at least and td's are always unpredictable. As an owner, not thinking of selling and just praying the td's will come eventually.

Context Matters

⁦‪@dwainmcfarland⁩

Matt Ryan posted a season-high QB3 fantasy finish after uncorking the vertical passing attack.

12.5 ADOT vs. 5.2, 4.8 and 4.8 previous three weeks.

Looks a bit more like Arthur Smith's passing game from Tennessee. Just one data point, but worth monitoring.

10/4/21, 12:34 PM

Could be. The O-line seems to be playing better. If they could muster a running game to restore some balance, things could take off.
The targets are there. Ryan is pulling it together. They’ve taken a few deep shots - they were the best in the NFL at it last year, so it feels flukey they haven’t hit on that connection once this year. 

feels like some positive TD love is coming. 

Agreed, I was emboldened by the offense this past week a bit.

A couple of the Ridley deep targets were DPI balls. I guess if it's keeping the chains moving that's a start. Wish that there was a way to get fantasy points for these. Like if there's a DPI called, you get a point but not the yardage. DPI +1 point, OPI -1 point. 

Teams are going to start having to roll coverage more to Patteson if he keeps this up so that should in theory start opening things up for Ridley and Pitts. That's the story I'm telling myself.

Calvin Ridley was sidelined for Thursday's practice.

It's unclear at this time why Ridley was absent during the portion of practice open to media, especially since he participated in Wednesday's session. Coach Arthur Smith will have an update later this afternoon as the team prepares to leave for London Thursday evening. Russell Gage also notably logged his second consecutive DNP.

Doh Bart.

I don't know much about "the cap" ..... but it looks like he is being paid 1.9mil this year but it jumps to 11.1mil next year (& talks that he wants PAID) .....  maybe the Falcons are just ready to rebuild .....

than again, "personal issue" can be anything - hope him & his family are ok ..... seems whatever happened happened quick / last 16-24 hours

..... chances he's being shopped/ traded ?   bye next week for ATL & trade deadline coming fast .....
I'd be shocked by that. Unless somebody was offering like 2 1st round picks or something. Ridley is a 26 year old franchise WR. Arguably one of the 5 best players at his position and younger than any of the guys above him. He's basically the definition of a long term building block.

Users who are viewing this thread