What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Calvin Ridley, TEN (3 Viewers)

Alabama junior WR Calvin Ridley caught four passes for 39 yards and a touchdown in Monday's 24-6 win over Clemson in the Sugar Bowl to advance to the National Championship Game against Georgia.

Ridley (6'1/188) scored from 12 yards out in the first quarter to give the Tide an early 10-0 advantage. That was really all Alabama needed, as their defense only allowed a pair of field goals on the evening. Ridley will carry a 59-935-4 receiving line into the National Championship Game against Georgia next Monday, with a decision on the NFL Draft to follow. He's arguably the top draft-eligible wideout in the country.

Jan 2 - 12:33 AM

Pro Football Focus's Steve Palazzolo believes that Alabama junior WR Calvin Ridley's best potential NFL fits are the Packers, Bears and 49ers.

Ridley (6'1/188) has been the top option in the Alabama offense this year, and is considered by most analysts to be one of the best wideout prospects in the draft class, with many believing he's the top if he chooses to enter. "The Packers could certainly use his speed to add another weapon for QB Aaron Rodgers, while the Bears are in need of any kind of playmaker out wide," Palazzolo writes. "Keep an eye on the 49ers as well, who have capable role players in the passing game, but they lack a true No. 1 receiver on the outside." Ridley should make a decision as to whether he'll enter the draft sometime after the National Championship Game against Georgia on Monday.

Source: Pro Football Focus 

Jan 6 - 6:19 PM

He turned 23 three days ago, but yes, he was an old recruit - his h.s. senior year was limited to 3 games because FL doesn't allow players older than 19 years, 9 months.
So he’s a late bloomer. I mean he’s still 23. We should focus less on age and more on whether he’s talented enough or not.

So he’s a late bloomer. I mean he’s still 23. We should focus less on age and more on whether he’s talented enough or not.
Well that's a factor though.  You would generally expect more dominance out of those older prospects than you might of a guy like JuJu who was 19 starting his 3rd year in college.  Ridley has nearly 3 years of physical growth on JuJu at the same point in his career.  Put it another way - how dominant might JuJu be if he could play at USC through 2019?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that's a factor though.  You would generally expect more dominance out of those older prospects than you might of a guy like JuJu who was 19 starting his 3rd year in college.  Ridley has nearly 3 years of physical growth on JuJu at the same point in his career.  Put it another way - how dominant might JuJu be if he had 3 more years to play at USC?
Agreed - a factor but not a reason to completely avoid. Let’s hope he lands with a good QB.

Well that's a factor though.  You would generally expect more dominance out of those older prospects than you might of a guy like JuJu who was 19 starting his 3rd year in college.  Ridley has nearly 3 years of physical growth on JuJu at the same point in his career.  Put it another way - how dominant might JuJu be if he could play at USC through 2019?
Or...what would JJSS' numbers be if he played for Alabama?

He's no Marvin Harrison but I'm mentioning Harrison because he was 24 when he played his first NFL season. He put up 1k season until age 35. Now he had Manning for that whole time which made his numbers fantastic but age shouldn't be the deciding factor in dynasty. I mean if Ridley goes to the 49ers, he starts at age 24. If a guy coming out is 21 and his QB is Flacco or Cam, who do you take? I take the 24 year old with Jimmy G.

He's no Marvin Harrison but I'm mentioning Harrison because he was 24 when he played his first NFL season. He put up 1k season until age 35. Now he had Manning for that whole time which made his numbers fantastic but age shouldn't be the deciding factor in dynasty. I mean if Ridley goes to the 49ers, he starts at age 24. If a guy coming out is 21 and his QB is Flacco or Cam, who do you take? I take the 24 year old with Jimmy G.
I don't mind cam throwing to my receiver if he's a deep threat able to track well. 

But if Ridley gets drafted by the bears or 49ers, which seems likely, he's not falling past my 1.04.  if he's a Raven I'll probably go with Sutton or Washington (assuming Guice is gone).

Exactly. I take the guy who I think is most talented with the best QB. Harrison is the perfect example of not getting too hung up on age.

I don't mind cam throwing to my receiver if he's a deep threat able to track well. 

But if Ridley gets drafted by the bears or 49ers, which seems likely, he's not falling past my 1.04.  if he's a Raven I'll probably go with Sutton or Washington (assuming Guice is gone).
Like this strategy

Exactly. I take the guy who I think is most talented with the best QB. Harrison is the perfect example of not getting too hung up on age.
I think that's Hank's point. It's tough to gauge how much is talent that is still developing and how much maturity matters. All else being equal we'd certainly expect more from a 22yo than a 19yo. If the 19yo appears equal, there's a fair chance he's the more talented as he continues to develop.

It's not a science but I think the point makes sense. 

Agreed - a factor but not a reason to completely avoid. Let’s hope he lands with a good QB.
Right, but I didn't say anything about completely avoiding.

Or...what would JJSS' numbers be if he played for Alabama?
Right, but i didn't talk about his numbers.  Regardless of who his QB is, JJSS has another three years to grow into his body, to get bigger, faster, stronger.   How much better do you think JJSS will be when the 2019 NFL draft rolls around? 

With most rookies we can project them with those 1-3 year more physical growth before they hit their age 24 season.  That extra 1-3 years also comes with NFL caliber coaching, nutrition, and fitness training.  Ridley doesn't get that.  He's closer to his physical ceiling now than most rookie WR are, so there's less projected improvement there.  That doesn't mean Ridley's not good enough now, plenty are and Harrison is a great example, and I'm not saying he can't still improve - obviously he can.  I've still got Ridley quite high on my rankings, but if a 21 year old were to earn an identical performance rating as Ridley had done I'd prefer that guy.

Right, but I didn't say anything about completely avoiding.

Right, but i didn't talk about his numbers.  Regardless of who his QB is, JJSS has another three years to grow into his body, to get bigger, faster, stronger.   How much better do you think JJSS will be when the 2019 NFL draft rolls around? 

With most rookies we can project them with those 1-3 year more physical growth before they hit their age 24 season.  That extra 1-3 years also comes with NFL caliber coaching, nutrition, and fitness training.  Ridley doesn't get that.  He's closer to his physical ceiling now than most rookie WR are, so there's less projected improvement there.  That doesn't mean Ridley's not good enough now, plenty are and Harrison is a great example, and I'm not saying he can't still improve - obviously he can.  I've still got Ridley quite high on my rankings, but if a 21 year old were to earn an identical performance rating as Ridley had done I'd prefer that guy.
Yes of course everything else equal you want the younger guy

I think that's Hank's point. It's tough to gauge how much is talent that is still developing and how much maturity matters. All else being equal we'd certainly expect more from a 22yo than a 19yo. If the 19yo appears equal, there's a fair chance he's the more talented as he continues to develop.
Statistically speaking Ridley was better as a 19 year old when he had a legit passing QB.

Harrison is an example of older rookie WR who developed well but a more recent example, from the same conference, is AJ Green. Green is only about 5 months younger entering the league as Ridley and put up similar stats in college.

IMO where Ridley should have extra appeal is that I think he's NFL ready. For sure landing spot matters in this equation but if a fantasy team(or real life team) is in need of immediate WR help I think that would make him more attractive, though for sure I''d not advocate letting need be your primary driver for using a top rookie pick it still matters.

Alabama junior WR Calvin Ridley caught four passes for 32 yards and a touchdown in Monday's 26-23 overtime win over Georgia in the College Football Playoff National Championship.

Ridley really should have had a pair of touchdown grabs in this one, but QB Jalen Hurts overthrew him when open in the end zone early in the game. The 6-foot-1, 188-pounder got another chance with just under four minutes remaining in the fourth quarter, though, and he cashed that one in thanks to a zippy throw from true frosh QB Tua Tagovailoa, who supplanted Hurts in the second half. On the seven-yard score in question, Ridley was initially covered, but followed Tagovailoa's slight hand direction and reeled the pass in in traffic to tie the score at 20-20. Expect word as to his intentions toward the 2018 NFL Draft in the coming days. The junior wideout is considered by many to be the top draft-eligible player at his position and profiles as a first-round selection. He ends his 2017 season the owner of a 63-967-5 receiving line.

Jan 9 - 1:30 AM

I predict BUST at the next level. He quit on a possible TD reception at the beginning of the game. That’s all I needed to see. His younger brother is a better pro prospect. Just my opinion of course. 

Alabama junior WR Calvin Ridley is viewed as "polished" and is receiving praise for this readiness to play in the NFL immediately.

That's a major note since many receivers fail to impact teams immediately. Just look at the three receivers in the top 10 last April, albeit injuries were a significant factor. Ridley is a 23-year-old junior, but has made a mark since the start of his career at Alabama. Josh Norris recently projected Ridley to the Ravens at No. 16 overall.

Source: SI.com 

Jan 9 - 10:12 AM

Ridley didn't look great last night, but it's understandable considering he was stuck with Hurts for the last 2 years, and once the backup came in, he targeted the receivers he was comfortable with... aka the backups. It's hard for a backup QB and 1st string WR to get on the same page quickly since they rarely practice together.

That said, he had a couple drops/balls went off his fingertips that you would have liked to have seen caught. If he goes to the Ravens he'll be a bust, if he goes somewhere with a good QB he'll be at least a solid WR2.

Rhythmdoctor said:
I predict BUST at the next level. He quit on a possible TD reception at the beginning of the game. That’s all I needed to see. His younger brother is a better pro prospect. Just my opinion of course. 
And for those focused on age lil’ bro Riley Ridley is a 21 year old true sophomore. So he’ll be an “old” prospect as well - either a 23 y.o. rookie if he comes out a year early or 24 if he stays.

steelers1080 said:
Ridley didn't look great last night, but it's understandable considering he was stuck with Hurts for the last 2 years, and once the backup came in, he targeted the receivers he was comfortable with... aka the backups. It's hard for a backup QB and 1st string WR to get on the same page quickly since they rarely practice together.

That said, he had a couple drops/balls went off his fingertips that you would have liked to have seen caught. If he goes to the Ravens he'll be a bust, if he goes somewhere with a good QB he'll be at least a solid WR2.
Even though I like Ridley as the 2nd or 3rd best WR prospect (....and Sutton isn't one of the top 2), I'll be taking one of top RBs in 2018.

And for those focused on age lil’ bro Riley Ridley is a 21 year old true sophomore. So he’ll be an “old” prospect as well - either a 23 y.o. rookie if he comes out a year early or 24 if he stays.
Yeah, I don’t necessarily think Riley Ridley will be a good pro either. I was just emphasizing how much I dislike Calvin. 

What we learned from scouting National Championship Game

Excerpt:

3. I received a few text messages during the game from NFL scouts saying Alabama WR Calvin Ridley is going to be much better in the pros than he is in college.

I agree with them.

Alabama struggled to get him going early, but he made two huge catches down the stretch against Georgia, one for a TD and one to put the Crimson Tide in range for a potential game-winning field goal, although they were unable to convert on that opportunity.

Ridley might have been the most talented player on the field Monday night.

Even though I like Ridley as the 2nd or 3rd best WR prospect (....and Sutton isn't one of the top 2), I'll be taking one of top RBs in 2018.
I'm pick #7 this year, so I fear I may get stuck with him if the RBs I like get taken, and the two other WRs go to worse landing spots. That said, I "got stuck" with Dalvin Cook, Juju, OJ Howard, and Kamara last year. It's a non-ppr and I was aiming for McCaffrey, Njoku, Engram, and Zay Jones. Got sniped before each of my picks and ended up with these guys. Have to say I'm pretty happy with it.

So maybe Ridley will be the guy I don't really like, but end up with and end up happy about it. Michel is the RB version of that for me this year.

I see him in the Diggs, Coooper, A Brown mold. Where he falls in that spectrum who knows, but that's the kind of player he is to me and he is easily my top WR in this draft but that's a relative ranking. As in relative to right now I got 5 RB's I'd take over him, with a big stress on the right now.

I do think he's day one NFL starter and day one fantasy contributor and I'll say that before I even know where he is drafted. He's NFL ready made. 

Why are rhe ridleys so old...for their class in college??
I keep trying to find an answer to this and can't find a thing. All I can say is it does not have to do with post high school stuff, not like they sat out a year or went down some oddball juco/transfer route. They were old high school seniors.

Users who are viewing this thread