What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Calvin Ridley, TEN (2 Viewers)

Bye weeks and injury now looks like I will be starting  D Parker and Chark next week at WR.  Hope Tua and whoever is playing QB for Jax are ready.

I thought I built a bullet proof deep set of WR's. I can withstand a few injuries but it is getting tough. Sutton, Godwin, Diontae Johnson, J. Brown, and now ARob, Ridley, and Pittman if he counts. I know we all have been hit this year, just venting but will still move forward and finish on top  :banned:
It’s been a rough season for injuries.  Every RB and WR on my roster has missed games and we are only at the season midpoint.  I don’t ever recall that happening in my 20 years playing this miserably game.  

Every team is going through it so you must work the WW every week.  Never be content with your roster.   If you have a chance to upgrade your WR5, do it since he could be in your lineup as your WR3 next week.   

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Calvin Ridley's (foot) X-rays came back negative.

Ridley will have an MRI to determine his next few weeks. The early signs are encouraging, but Ridley still seems likely to be held out through Atlanta's Week 10 bye. Julio Jones, Russell Gage, and Hayden Hurst would all see increased targets if Ridley misses time. 

SOURCE: NFL Network

Oct 30, 2020, 9:10 AM ET

Calvin Ridley (foot) is not practicing Wednesday.

X-rays were negative on Ridley's foot after he had to leave last Thursday night's game, and he was later diagnosed with a mid-foot sprain. Mid-foot injuries are always scary due to the location of the dreaded Lisfranc. For now, the Falcons are hopeful Ridley won't miss too much, if any, time. Julio Jones would be a volume monster if Ridley is declared out.

SOURCE: D. Orlando Ledbetter on Twitter

Nov 4, 2020, 3:20 PM ET

Feeling that too...hoping they actually don't play him and Chark somehow has an ok day and I can sneak by the bye week that is hurting me today.
Feel free to play Chark with confidence.  He'll be on my bench.  He always goes off on my bench.

On a more serious note, I am excited to see how he does with a different QB.

Ridley is on the field in tennis shoes. Doesn’t look like he’s playing while some of the other WRs are warming up per Orlando Ledbetter

Calvin Ridley (foot) was running off to the side at Monday's practice. 

“We should have a better feel for him on Wednesday," interim coach Raheem Morris said. "Getting him into individual drills, getting him into a little bit of team work and see how he goes, talking him through it and just seeing where he’s at little by little, step by step in order to get him to Sunday and see if we can get him going." It's positive, though not as positive as we would have hoped coming off the Falcons' bye week. Ridley should be considered genuinely questionable to suit up against the Saints. Even a "limited" session on Wednesday would be an excellent sign. 

SOURCE: Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Nov 17, 2020, 1:56 PM ET

Calvin Ridley (foot) practiced on a limited basis on Wednesday ahead of Week 11's game against the Saints.

Ridley missed the team's Week 9 contest against the Broncos with the hope of playing following the Falcons' Week 10 bye. As of now, his status for Sunday seems up in the air, although a limited session seemed to be coach Raheem Morris' plan, namely individual drills and Ridley's response on Thursday.

Nov 18, 2020, 6:22 PM ET

Calvin Ridley (foot) will play in Week 11 against the Saints. 

Ridley doesn't have an injury designation on the team's final practice report -- he looks like a full go against the Saints. Ridley's return puts something of a damper on Julio Jones' target share, though both should be treated as set-it-and-forget-it WR1s in a game with the week's fourth highest over-under (50.5). 

RELATED: 

Julio Jones

SOURCE: Justin Felder on Twitter 

Nov 20, 2020, 2:15 PM ET

Anyone have any insight on whether he is healthy enough to produce or possibly just a decoy?  I know Lattimore is out which helps Julio, does Jenkins cover Julio now?

Agonizing over Ridley vs a similarly ranked WR.  

Calvin Ridley (foot) was limited in Wednesday's practice.

Ridley returned last week and caught 5-of-9 targets for 90 yards in the blowout loss to the Saints. He should be good to go as a WR1 for Week 12 against the Raiders' poor secondary.

Nov 25, 2020, 4:57 PM ET

Calvin Ridley (foot) will play in Week 12 against the Raiders.

As expected. Ridley was limited mid-week but removed from Friday's injury report altogether. Although Atlanta's offense has cratered without Julio Jones (hamstring, questionable) available this year, Ridley has stood the test of time with a 30.6% target share and 51.8% of the Falcons' air yards in his two starts sans the latter. Even Matt Ryan can be ignored in an otherwise plus matchup if Jones isn't available Sunday.

SOURCE: Jason Butt on Twitter

Nov 27, 2020, 4:24 PM ET

Calvin Ridley caught 6-of-9 targets for 50 yards and one touchdown in the Falcons' Week 12 win over the Raiders.

With Julio Jones (hamstring) out, Ridley led the Falcons in all receiving categories and secured his four-yard touchdown on a 4th-and-3 call. Ridley now has seven touchdowns on the year, matching his total from last season. Ridley appeared to tweak his left ankle late in this one but missed just one play before coming back to see an end-zone target on the next play that fell incomplete. Ridley will be a WR1 next week against the Saints.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Calvin Ridley (foot, ankle) remained "limited" on Thursday.

We haven't seen any concern about Ridley's Week 13 status after he briefly checked out of last Sunday's blowout win over the Raiders. Ridley's variable is Julio Jones' (hamstring) health. Ridley will be a top-five option if Jones sits, top 10 if he goes. 

Dec 3, 2020, 8:03 PM ET

Calvin Ridley (foot) was limited at Wednesday's practice.

Ridley has been playing through a mid-foot sprain for most of the season. The Falcons will continue to manage his reps ahead of Week 15.

Dec 16, 2020, 3:38 PM ET

Week 17 Dynasty Risers and Fallers: A.J. Dillon flashes incredible upside

Excerpt:

FALLER: WR JULIO JONES, ATLANTA FALCONS

Jones’ health is the obvious concern for his long-term outlook, but Calvin Ridley’s recent performances indicate a changing of the guard. Ridley has played in six games without Jones this year, flashing as one of the league's true alpha receivers in those outings.

Calvin Ridley 2020 stats without Julio Jones

Yards per route run                 Target share              Air yards share

Value                                          2.98                                       42.8%.                         51.4%

Rank                                            2                                               1                                  1

Whenever Jones is out, Ridley looks the part as one of the best No. 1 receivers. With Jones now 32 years old and coming off his worst season by yards per game, it’s easy to see the Falcons going down a path of Ridley as their primary pass-catcher and Jones as his foil.

Calvin Ridley caught 8-of-12 targets for 52 yards in the Falcons Week 17 loss to the Buccaneers.

The Bucs did a good job keeping a lid on Ridley so most of his competitions came on short throws over the middle. It may not have been his best outing of the season but 2020 will go down as a breakout campaign of epic proportions for the third-year receiver from Alabama. He finishes the year top-five in receiving yards at 1,372 to go along with nine receiving scores. Ridley dominated opposing corners when Julio Jones went down and that may be the most promising sign for his future as a potential No. 1 receiver. Even when defenses weren't tasked with preparing for him and Jones, they were rarely able to contain Ridley. With Jones coming up on 32 years old, we may have just witnessed a changing of the guard in Atlanta. Ridley deserves to be drafted in the top-five receivers once fantasy drafts begin rolling in.

- Rotoworld

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Orlando Ledbetter reports the Falcons will exercise the fifth-year option on Calvin Ridley's contract. 

The 26th overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft is expected to have his fifth-year, $11.116 million option picked up. Ridley, 26, served as the team's No. 1 receiver in 2020 even before Julio Jones struggled with hamstring issues that cost him nearly half the season. A nightmare for opposing defenders and a constant threat to break big plays with the ball in his hands, Ridley should be the centerpiece of Atlanta's offense for the next few years. Seven receivers have more yards than Ridley over the past two seasons, and only a dozen wideouts have more receptions. If the Falcons trade Jones, 32, this offseason, Ridley would once again profile as a target vacuum in Atlanta's offense. 

RELATED: 

Julio Jones

SOURCE: AJC.com 

Apr 28, 2021, 8:18 AM ET

I keep trying to find an answer to this and can't find a thing. All I can say is it does not have to do with post high school stuff, not like they sat out a year or went down some oddball juco/transfer route. They were old high school seniors.
They are from France according to Beldar.

Falcons exercised WR Calvin Ridley's fifth-year team option for 2022. 

This one is as close to a no-brainer as you will ever see. The No. 26 overall pick of the 2018 Draft is now guaranteed $11.1 million for 2022, though there is a strong chance he signs an extension before then. One of the league's most technically gifted wideouts, Ridley was largely uncontainable regardless of Julio Jones' health in 2020. Locked in as an elite, weekly WR1, Ridley is one of the most valuable players in all of Dynasty. 

May 3, 2021, 10:53 AM ET

Fantasy Football: Impact of Falcons trading Julio Jones to Titans

Excerpt:

CALVIN RIDLEY WR1 SEASON

No Julio Jones? No problem. Calvin Ridley‘s ready to be the true No. 1 receiver for the Dirty Birds. Last season, Ridley was an absolute target machine without Jones in the lineup. He averaged a 30% target share (11 per game) and nearly 20 fantasy points per game when Jones was sidelined.

Calvin Ridley | 2020

Yards per route run  Passer rating Receiving touchdowns Target share Fantasy points per game

With Julio Jones         2.29                           135.8                    6        24%    23.3

Without Julio Jones    2.76                            91.1                    3         30%   19.8

Ridley’s a locked-and-loaded top-five fantasy WR with Jones no longer in the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
How will the Julio Jones trade affect Calvin Ridley?

On May 15, Pro Football Focus asked its Twitter followers: Which wide receiver will lead the league in receiving yards in the 2021 season?

The players presented as possible answers were the Green Bay Packers’ Davante Adams, Tennessee Titans’ A.J. Brown, Buffalo Bills’ Stefon Diggs, Kansas City Chiefs’ Tyreek Hill, Arizona Cardinals’ DeAndre Hopkins, Minnesota Vikings’ Justin Jefferson, Atlanta Falcons’ Julio Jones and Seattle Seahawks’ DK Metcalf.

On Monday, Pro Football Focus presented its projection for the player who will lead the NFL in receiving yards in the 2021 season – the Falcons’ Calvin Ridley with 1,561 (125 more receiving yards than Hill).

How did Ridley go from outside the top eight possibilities on May 15 to the No. 1 choice on June 7?

On Sunday, Atlanta traded Jones to the Titans.

Ridley has had a productive three seasons playing with Jones. A pair of first-round draft picks from Alabama, Ridley and Jones rank first and second in the NFL for receptions of 15 or more yards during Ridley’s time in the league. Ridley has 67, and Jones has 63.

Ridley has 217 receptions for 3,061 yards and 26 touchdowns in his 44 NFL games. Only three other players -- Marques Colston, A.J. Green and Odell Beckham Jr. -- in NFL history have matched those numbers at that point in their careers. Jones had 241 receptions for 3,649 yards and 23 touchdowns in his first 44 NFL games.

With the seven-time Pro Bowl wide receiver leaving the Falcons’ lineup, Ridley becomes the No. 1 target for Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan after he completed 833 passes for 12,628 yards and 59 touchdowns to Jones over the past 10 seasons as he became the franchise’s all-time receiving leader.

There’s evidence to suggest that without Jones in the lineup, Ridley will produce stats that could be league-leading.

Since Ridley joined the Falcons, Jones has missed eight games. In those eight games, Ridley averaged 11.1 targets, 7.3 receptions, 107 receiving yards and 14.76 yards per catch.

In the 36 games he played with Jones, Ridley averaged 6.6 targets, 4.4 receptions, 61.25 yards and 13.87 yards per catch.

Ridley joined the Falcons as the 26th player picked in the 2018 NFL Draft.

In his first season, Ridley caught 64 passes for 821 yards and set an Atlanta rookie record with 10 touchdown receptions. In 2019, Ridley caught 63 passes for 866 yards and seven touchdowns, but he missed the final three games of the season because of an abdominal injury.

Ridley produced 90 receptions for 1,374 yards and nine touchdowns for Atlanta in 2020, even though he missed one game. He finished fifth in the NFL in receiving yards last season. Jones has led the NFL in receiving yards twice with 1,871 yards in 2015 (for the second-highest single-season total in league history) and 1,677 yards in 2018.

In exchange for Jones and their sixth-round pick in the 2023 NFL Draft, the Falcons are getting a second-round choice in the 2022 NFL Draft and a fourth-round choice in the 2023 NFL Draft from the Titans.

Atlanta drafted a wide receiver this year, but Arizona State’s Frank Darby joined the Falcons in the sixth round as their final 2021 selection. But Atlanta used the fourth pick in the 2021 NFL Draft on Florida’s Kyle Pitts, the earliest that a tight end has been selected in league history. Over the past two seasons, the 6-foot-6, 246-pound target caught 97 passes for 1,419 yards and 18 touchdowns for the Gators.

Atlanta wide receiver Russell Gage caught 72 passes for 786 yards and four touchdowns and tight end Hayden Hurst caught 56 passes for 571 yards and six touchdowns last season, and both players return for the Falcons in 2021.

I have a hard time separating Ridley and DK.  Total opposite players and situations, tough to make that call.
Metcalf is who I have at WR5, so I hear ya there. For me, I think Ridley has less target competition and a higher volume of targets. Ridley outscored Metcalf last year, and Ridley missed basically 2 games. Both teams want to run more, but Seattle seems more likely to accomplish it, due to both a better running game, and a better defense.

On the flip side, the case for Metcalf is that he and Lockett saw similar volume last year, and there is a chance that Metcalf just leaves Lockett in the dust, and jumps to 150+ targets, but that seems less likely given Wilson's rapport with Lockett.

Metcalf is who I have at WR5, so I hear ya there. For me, I think Ridley has less target competition and a higher volume of targets. Ridley outscored Metcalf last year, and Ridley missed basically 2 games. Both teams want to run more, but Seattle seems more likely to accomplish it, due to both a better running game, and a better defense.

On the flip side, the case for Metcalf is that he and Lockett saw similar volume last year, and there is a chance that Metcalf just leaves Lockett in the dust, and jumps to 150+ targets, but that seems less likely given Wilson's rapport with Lockett.
I think I have read some blurbs that indicate Seattle might be faster paced this year so there might be more volume there than we expect. But yeah, DK seems a little safer but you are right that in PPR, Ridley probably has to get the edge due to receptions. 

Ilov80s said:
travdogg said:
Metcalf

is who I have at WR5, so I hear ya there. For me, I think

Ridley

has less target competition and a higher volume of targets.

Ridley

outscored

Metcalf

last year, and

Ridley

missed basically 2 games. Both teams want to run more, but Seattle seems more likely to accomplish it, due to both a better running game, and a better defense.

On the flip side, the case for Metcalf iis that he and Lockett saw similar volume last year, and there is a chance thatMetcalf just leaves Lockett

in the dust, and jumps to 150+ targets, but that seems less likely given Wilson's rapport with Lockett.
I think I have read some blurbs that indicate Seattle might be faster paced this year so there might be more volume there than we expect. But yeah, DK seems a little safer but you are right that in PPR, Ridley probably has to get the edge due to receptions. 
Lockett v Metcalf volume is pretty lopsided after Wk 6 last year, except for Wk 17. That's being reflected in their ECR and ADP rn for redraft. No one would be surprised if either Ridley or Metcalf finished as the FF WR1.

Matt Ryan has a tremendous history supporting WR1s and TE1s in FF, and multiple pass catchers in the same year.

Roddy White lept from a solid WR2 to a dominant force in Ryan's rookie year, finishing top 5 three out of four years (#1 once) and ninth the other year. In 2011 White and rookie Julio were WR5 and WR21, the next year they were WR 9 & WR11, 2013 - injuries, 2014 it was WR6 and WR21 (first time Julio outscored Roddy.) Similar results 2018-19 with JJ and Ridley, and 2020 as well - at least in the games Julio was on the field. Ryan was supporting an elite TE1 in football his first 6 years (legendary Tony Gonzalez) and a low end TE1 the last 3 (Hooper twice, Hurst last year.)

Weird situation at RB this year, thought for sure they would address in the draft, but Mike Davis is very capable.

Anyway, I'm very bullish on Ridley. He's surely in line to see 150+ targets. White and Jones exceed 163 three times each. Gonzalez - arguably the greatest TE of all-time - saw elite usage all five years he played with Ryan.

Users who are viewing this thread