What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official putting together an Audiophile system - electric boogaloo*** (1 Viewer)

It was pretty much just messing around, they make great products but are definitely on the pricey side.
Speaking of which - looks like Audible Illusions is still up and kicking as a company... can get Tubes for the L1 for $195.   Oof.  That's for one tube. 

I can buy a used (15-20 freakin year old!) full unit for about the same now as when I bought it before.  $850 or so.  Their newest model is almost 5 grand.   :eek:

If I had money to burn, I'd definitely give that a listen and likely buy it.  The warmth and depth of sound I get from the 20 year old model is beyond much else I've heard, and probably anything outside a studio or shop (including far, far more expensive systems - usually too bright for me, and my speakers are very transparent, so if the source is bright, or anything makes the sound bright, especially with digital, it hurts my ears)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have about six old recievers and amps in my basement.  A couple are like 20 y/o, including an NAD amp. 

My question is, how the heck can I get them tested, to make sure they are running right?  I woukd hate to short out my whole system hooking up a bad amp.  Tia.
Old NADs were built like tanks.  I got the Pioneer to replace an ancient 5.1 surround system that only put 20% output to the rear speakers, max - was like the early days of surround.  But my main purpose was always the audio and music, which is why I went with NAD in the first place... was as warm a sound for a solid state receiver around whatever my few hundred dollar budget was, and made it until last year before just essentially crossing all it's wires and deteriorating.  But it was also used daily for two decades.

Really solid setup.  Not familiar with the speakers though.   Projector is similar to mine, Epson 2040 vs. 1040.  Decent entry level projector with no huge reason to upgrade until the 4k's become affordable.  Enjoy!  
When my sub went out someone suggested Svs. . I never heard of them either but read reviews and gave the sub a shot. Liked it so much read the reviews on the speakers and gave them a shot. Love them so far

Speaking of which - looks like Audible Illusions is still up and kicking as a company... can get Tubes for the L1 for $195.   Oof.  That's for one tube. 

I can buy a used (15-20 freakin year old!) full unit for about the same now as when I bought it before.  $850 or so.  Their newest model is almost 5 grand.   :eek:

If I had money to burn, I'd definitely give that a listen and likely buy it.  The warmth and depth of sound I get from the 20 year old model is beyond much else I've heard, and probably anything outside a studio or shop (including far, far more expensive systems - usually too bright for me, and my speakers are very transparent, so if the source is bright, or anything makes the sound bright, especially with digital, it hurts my ears)
You should look at speakers with a high velocity folded ribbon tweeter. Absolutely no harshness in any high frequency no mater the volume. Pretty amazing honestly. It's why I went with Goldenear speakers.

When my sub went out someone suggested Svs. . I never heard of them either but read reviews and gave the sub a shot. Liked it so much read the reviews on the speakers and gave them a shot. Love them so far
SVS makes some of the best subs out there, well known in the AVSforum crowd.

So a question......

I've read so many forums and heard mixed things. So I'll just ask here...

When I had my bookshelves I had all my speakers set as small.

When I ran audyssey it set the fronts to large and the bass crossover setting to Full Band.

I checked with svs and others and they recommend even with towers set speakers to small.

Subwoofer set to LFE

And this is the crossover settings I have

Front 60Hz

Middle 80

Rear 80

I ran a couple test with full band and feel like it drowns the center.

I also have audyssey equalizer on set to Day.

Thoughts anyone?

So a question......

I've read so many forums and heard mixed things. So I'll just ask here...

When I had my bookshelves I had all my speakers set as small.

When I ran audyssey it set the fronts to large and the bass crossover setting to Full Band.

I checked with svs and others and they recommend even with towers set speakers to small.

Subwoofer set to LFE

And this is the crossover settings I have

Front 60Hz

Middle 80

Rear 80

I ran a couple test with full band and feel like it drowns the center.

I also have audyssey equalizer on set to Day.

Thoughts anyone?
Depending on the version you can tweak those settings, increase Center lower the Sub etc. Those towers should be set to large IMO, they have the range and you paid for it why not use it?

Also good news, I can finally find a set up to run my wires and use surround again - was not worth the battles over wire control in the new apartment with the now ex.

Another question: what's the best set up to run two separate systems into the same pair of front speakers (floor standing, also old but still pretty awesome: NHT 2.5i )? Some master switch (but I'd hate to degrade the sound for the tubed pre and solid state power amp for music)?
I use this for two amps / two sets of speakers (you can mix/match, meaning use two amps and one set of speakers/etc). Zero loss of sound.

With my Denon I can select the speakers to be large for mains and do LFE+Main, that's what Audyssey set it to when I ran it. You need to look at the AVR instructions and not what SVS says since most mfg don't use the same EQs even if they use Audyssey (multiple types MultiEQ, XT, DSX, etc). The AVR should tell you what to use setting wise for your speakers.

Hawks64 said:
With my Denon I can select the speakers to be large for mains and do LFE+Main, that's what Audyssey set it to when I ran it. You need to look at the AVR instructions and not what SVS says since most mfg don't use the same EQs even if they use Audyssey (multiple types MultiEQ, XT, DSX, etc). The AVR should tell you what to use setting wise for your speakers.
Yeah me too, I think. I think it set it to LFE+main, not sure. Because it goes full band to 40hz when I switch lfe to LFE+main 

I am experimenting. And with your settings and with the crossover set I feel like the center is a little drowned out well a little to bassy maybe but definitely more pop overall compared to my settings. I keep playing the helicopter scenes in king king and comparing. Lol

I may rerun it again because I'm not sure it set it to LFE main

Yeah me too, I think. I think it set it to LFE+main, not sure. Because it goes full band to 40hz when I switch lfe to LFE+main 

I am experimenting. And with your settings and with the crossover set I feel like the center is a little drowned out well a little to bassy maybe but definitely more pop overall compared to my settings. I keep playing the helicopter scenes in king king and comparing. Lol

I may rerun it again because I'm not sure it set it to LFE main
Not sure if your Denon is like mine but you can adjust the Center dialog option as well. There are f ton of settings in there for speakers and EQ and the like.

Not sure if your Denon is like mine but you can adjust the Center dialog option as well. There are f ton of settings in there for speakers and EQ and the like.
You mean to just bump the center like 1 dB or do you have a dialogue option?  I don't have that much detail. Just individual speaker volumes

I just posted in it a question about the seat bumpers and now can't find it

Edit - guess we will go with it. Post in here with all home audio stuff!!!
here's what I have at home:

paradigm monitor 9 towers  https://files.cmlt.ru/getUserImage?id=11903408

paradigm prestige center  https://www.paradigm.com/products-current/type=center/model=prestige-55c/page=overview

paradigm rears  https://www.paradigm.com/products-current/type=surround/model=surround-3/page=overview

paradigm monitor sub  10  https://www.paradigm.com/products-current/type=subwoofer/model=monitor-sub-10/page=overview

last night my wife told me it sounded like an earthquake while I was watching Empire Strikes Back

Can any of you guys recommend a good soundbar?  I have a Sony that  I've had for a few years that's pretty solid, but I've got a tiny little living room.

My dad is looking for something but he's got a much bigger room (and a more open floor plan) with a vaulted ceiling. He did a little research and found some models that are less than $150. The reviews on some of them look ok but I'm not sure if they're missing some key features or if they're just generally crap (I find it sort of hard to believe you can get decent sound and a woofer for a price that cheap).

He's not looking to build some amazing system, just get some good sound in a room with a less than ideal acoustic setup.  When you do a google search for "best sound bars" it seems like even the "budget" selections are north of $250.

Can any of you guys recommend a good soundbar?  I have a Sony that  I've had for a few years that's pretty solid, but I've got a tiny little living room.

My dad is looking for something but he's got a much bigger room (and a more open floor plan) with a vaulted ceiling. He did a little research and found some models that are less than $150. The reviews on some of them look ok but I'm not sure if they're missing some key features or if they're just generally crap (I find it sort of hard to believe you can get decent sound and a woofer for a price that cheap).

He's not looking to build some amazing system, just get some good sound in a room with a less than ideal acoustic setup.  When you do a google search for "best sound bars" it seems like even the "budget" selections are north of $250.
Vizio and Polk both get good reviews over at CNET. The Polk is tiny but they say it sounds good :shrug:

With or without subwoofer?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-2-1-channel-soundbar-system-with-wireless-subwoofer-and-digital-amplifier-black/5492307.p?skuId=5492307&cmp=RMX&extStoreId=1098&ref=212&loc=DWA&ksid=7d00baf7-9370-4f91-85d7-018f96f040ea&ksprof_id=3&ksaffcode=pg252543&ksdevice=m&lsft=ref:212,loc:2&gclid=Cj0KCQiA1afSBRD2ARIsAEvBsNkbNcZspHDJ3mEJg0AnftN8pkMcNgC7WK7GbfbD63SKnkpCmszuyHEaAhpAEALw_wcB

I have a question about building custom cabinets for my home theater. Currently have a projector and the fronts, center (rests on center console that holds electronics) and sub are all freestanding on a carpet floor.  If I build cabinet, then the fronts, sub and center would be in there and read that this harms the sound quality. 

I read you should install sound absorbing foam in these speaker cabinets. 

I'm debating whether to do this or just build a simple lower level wall to wall cabinet that would house the electronics then mount the speakers in free air on top of that so as to not screw up the acoustics they produce on their own.

Thoughts?

I have a question about building custom cabinets for my home theater. Currently have a projector and the fronts, center (rests on center console that holds electronics) and sub are all freestanding on a carpet floor.  If I build cabinet, then the fronts, sub and center would be in there and read that this harms the sound quality. 

I read you should install sound absorbing foam in these speaker cabinets. 

I'm debating whether to do this or just build a simple lower level wall to wall cabinet that would house the electronics then mount the speakers in free air on top of that so as to not screw up the acoustics they produce on their own.

Thoughts?
I'm a little confused - you have speakers that you want to put in a cabinet?   Or do you need to build a cabinet for the speaker parts?

Speakers I want to put in a cabinet
This is usually (though not always) a bad idea.  Man speakers are rear ported, meaning they need to be able to get good airflow into and out of the rear of the speaker.  Putting them into a cabinet can inhibit this and affect the sound.  You want to have ported speakers with a good amount of space around them for this.  I don't have an exact answer how much.  I'd say you are most likely better off keeping the speakers free standing on their own.

I'm no expert by any means - but personally I wouldn't :shrug:

I'd mount them on wall/shelf/speaker stand/ etc
He said above his speakers are Paradigm monitor 9's, so a pretty big speaker, I think just left freestanding would be best.

This is usually (though not always) a bad idea.  Man speakers are rear ported, meaning they need to be able to get good airflow into and out of the rear of the speaker.  Putting them into a cabinet can inhibit this and affect the sound.  You want to have ported speakers with a good amount of space around them for this.  I don't have an exact answer how much.  I'd say you are most likely better off keeping the speakers free standing on their own.
Thank you. That's what I was leaning towards. 

Thank you. That's what I was leaning towards. 
And BTW I like your speakers, I used to have monitor 7's and always regretted not just getting the 9's to start with.  Always thought about upgrading, but eventually went to a totally different setup with some bookshelf fronts.

He said above his speakers are Paradigm monitor 9's, so a pretty big speaker, I think just left freestanding would be best.
Oops did not know this.   I agree

I got Tower speakers so I can leave them on the floor :)

Depends on the speakers, some are designed with the grills in mind for the sonics.
I'd say those are in the minority, I think most are for look/protection, especially until you get to way high end stuff.  No kids, no pets, low traffic, if you like the look I think you are fine without grills.  I tend to prefer them as people love touching things and certain parts are very delicate (especially tweeters).

I'd say those are in the minority, I think most are for look/protection, especially until you get to way high end stuff.  No kids, no pets, low traffic, if you like the look I think you are fine without grills.  I tend to prefer them as people love touching things and certain parts are very delicate (especially tweeters).
Paradigm's are, or were. Definitive Tech and Polk used to be as well. Those that use them as wave guides so you need to actually find out rather than assuming IMO.

Paradigm's are, or were. Definitive Tech and Polk used to be as well. Those that use them as wave guides so you need to actually find out rather than assuming IMO.
Wow, really didn't know some of the lower ends were doing that.  Thanks for the info.

The Tick said:
And BTW I like your speakers, I used to have monitor 7's and always regretted not just getting the 9's to start with.  Always thought about upgrading, but eventually went to a totally different setup with some bookshelf fronts.
My system has evolved. I bought the nines round 2000. I originally had them hooked up to a Denon amp pushing 200w channel.  Purely for music.

Sometime about 5-6 years ago decided to buy a Denon 7.1 receive and put together a surround. Bought all paradigm stuff to fill it out. Except the sub. It wasn't until two weeks ago I added that and I thank the guys that recommend that to me in this forum. Makes a huge difference which surprised me since the towers thump by themselves. 

I could go spend a lot of money on a higher end system but I'm really happy with what I've got.  I really like paradigm. If I upgrade anywhere it will be there receiver, maybe I'll get a new more powerful one or hook up an amp.

belljr said:
Grill or No Griill?  Thoughts.....
Generally grills on. Protects the parts from pets/dust. That said, some look cool w/o. There's no difference in sound to me. 

My system has evolved. I bought the nines round 2000. I originally had them hooked up to a Denon amp pushing 200w channel.  Purely for music.

Sometime about 5-6 years ago decided to buy a Denon 7.1 receive and put together a surround. Bought all paradigm stuff to fill it out. Except the sub. It wasn't until two weeks ago I added that and I thank the guys that recommend that to me in this forum. Makes a huge difference which surprised me since the towers thump by themselves. 

I could go spend a lot of money on a higher end system but I'm really happy with what I've got.  I really like paradigm. If I upgrade anywhere it will be there receiver, maybe I'll get a new more powerful one or hook up an amp.
IMO best bang for the buck would be adding an amp or two, depending on budget. You'd be surprised at how much better everything sounds when you have high quality amps driving the speakers vs the amps in a receiver. I linked to the Monoprice Monolith amps earlier in the thread and might be the best value in amps today, if I were to replace my Rotel amp that's what I'd look at.

IMO best bang for the buck would be adding an amp or two, depending on budget. You'd be surprised at how much better everything sounds when you have high quality amps driving the speakers vs the amps in a receiver. I linked to the Monoprice Monolith amps earlier in the thread and might be the best value in amps today, if I were to replace my Rotel amp that's what I'd look at.
So how do AMPS work in conjunction with a receiver?

So how do AMPS work in conjunction with a receiver?
A lot of Denon receivers will have pre-outs (pre amplified output), which means the receiver will act as just a sound processor and send the unamped signal out to the amp via the pre-outs.

A lot of Denon receivers will have pre-outs (pre amplified output), which means the receiver will act as just a sound processor and send the unamped signal out to the amp via the pre-outs.
Thanks. I only have one pre-out that goes to my sub.

I did read an article that suggested that if you are purely movie/tv that Receiver may be the way to go overall

ETA: I just realized my receiver is 6 years old.  Guess I'll be upgrading that soon :)

After looking into it a bit more seems like the only Denon's with multi-channel out are the 1k and up receivers. Yamaha may have a cheaper option with pre-outs but their website sucks so I gave up looking.

After looking into it a bit more seems like the only Denon's with multi-channel out are the 1k and up receivers. Yamaha may have a cheaper option with pre-outs but their website sucks so I gave up looking.
Interesting, same with pioneer, you need to get up to their $1600 list price receiver before they offer those.  Too bad, when I upgraded receiver I was planning to go with a lower end pioneer elite for processing and surround amps, and then a separate amp for my front/cen.  Much harder to justify that if you are already dumping $1600 into the receiver.

I know I have them on my current sub $1K receiver.

Interesting, same with pioneer, you need to get up to their $1600 list price receiver before they offer those.  Too bad, when I upgraded receiver I was planning to go with a lower end pioneer elite for processing and surround amps, and then a separate amp for my front/cen.  Much harder to justify that if you are already dumping $1600 into the receiver.

I know I have them on my current sub $1K receiver.
Yep, used to have them on a few receivers in the 5-700 range, but even at 1k it's still cheaper than most dedicated pre/pros. Those typically start in the 2k-2500 range

Hawks64 said:
If I hooked that mono amp up to my Denon, it would give me 200w per channel? I think it's 70 from the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread