What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Sam Darnold, MIN (1 Viewer)

The New York Daily News' Pat Leonard reports Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll has a "high opinion" of Sam Darnold and could be interested in acquiring the QB should Seattle part ways with Russell Wilson. 

“Keep an eye on Seattle for Darnold,” a source told Leonard. The chances of Wilson leaving Seattle this offseason remain low, but Leonard reports Darnold could be a fallback option for the Seahawks if they lose their franchise player. The Jets have reportedly fielded calls for Darnold -- just 23 years old -- while holding the second pick in this year's NFL Draft. Leonard mentioned the Texans as another potential landing spot for Darnold should the team deal away Deshaun Watson. 

RELATED: 

Russell Wilson

, Seattle Seahawks

SOURCE: NYDailyNews.com 

Mar 16, 2021, 9:56 AM ET

SAM DARNOLD QB, NEW YORK JETS

Corey Davis said he signed with the Jets understanding Sam Darnold would return as the team's starter. 

It's quite the nugget from Davis, though it doesn't mean we now know what the team will do with the No. 2 pick in the upcoming NFL Draft. Jets general manager Joe Douglas has said he would answer calls about trading Darnold this offseason. Darnold returning as the Jets' starter would likely mean New York would trade away their first rounder for something resembling a king's ransom, throwing the entire draft into utter chaos. 

RELATED: 

Corey Davis

SOURCE: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter 

Mar 23, 2021, 11:52 AM ET

I just don’t see why the Jets would move on from Darnold.  And I kinda think they’d be dumb to do it. 

He’s shown flashes, but 2020 was basically a lost season for him. Wally Pip’ing Darnold for a shiny new rookie in the draft seems like giving up way too soon. 

But if they do, he’s welcome in SF. 

I just don’t see why the Jets would move on from Darnold.  And I kinda think they’d be dumb to do it. 

He’s shown flashes, but 2020 was basically a lost season for him. Wally Pip’ing Darnold for a shiny new rookie in the draft seems like giving up way too soon. 

But if they do, he’s welcome in SF. 
Two big reasons  

1.  Contract - last year of cheap rookie deal....no way they exercise a $19M option so its a big risk to stick with him vs resetting the clock with Wilson or Fields

2. He just hasnt looked good....I know he had minimal weapons but Flacco worked with the same case and looked way better....thats a problem.  

I must admit a trade down monster haul is intriguing - and if JD goes that direction Ill give him the benefit of the doubt....but its a huge risk vs starting fresh....you dont get the #2 pick often

Two big reasons  

1.  Contract - last year of cheap rookie deal....no way they exercise a $19M option so its a big risk to stick with him vs resetting the clock with Wilson or Fields

2. He just hasnt looked good....I know he had minimal weapons but Flacco worked with the same case and looked way better....thats a problem.  

I must admit a trade down monster haul is intriguing - and if JD goes that direction Ill give him the benefit of the doubt....but its a huge risk vs starting fresh....you dont get the #2 pick often
1. Couldn’t they ask him to restructure?

2. I saw Flacco‘s games and absolutely did not think he looked better by any definition. Flacco looked completely washed.

Keeping Darnold is basically a bet that Adam Gase is literally the worst coach in NFL history and was single highhandedly responsible for ruining Sam. (and also a bet that he's not too far gone to be fixed)

Because Sam has looked BAD the past 2 years like 90% of the time.  Yes, he had a bad o line. Yes, he had poor weapons. But he simply made terrible decisions over and over and over again. High school level decisions. Nobody was asking him to carry a terrible team to the playoffs. But asking the # 3 pick (in his 3rd year) to elevate a poor supporting cast to mediocrity? I dont think that's too much to ask if a guy is truly talented and has something between the years.

2. I saw Flacco‘s games and absolutely did not think he looked better by any definition. Flacco looked completely washed.
It wouldbt bve a restructure but they could let him play on the last yr without the 5th yr and either ask him to sign a more reasonable extension now or after the season....even if he has a good year I cant imagine him getting more than $18M yr....but Wilson would be about $6M for next 4 yrs which obviously is much better. 

In 4 games Flacco had 6 TDs and 3 Ints and had way more big plays than Sam who finished with 9 TDs and 11 ints....Flacco looked washed and still looked better than Sam IMO.  

Keeping Darnold is basically a bet that Adam Gase is literally the worst coach in NFL history and was single highhandedly responsible for ruining Sam. (and also a bet that he's not too far gone to be fixed)

Because Sam has looked BAD the past 2 years like 90% of the time.  Yes, he had a bad o line. Yes, he had poor weapons. But he simply made terrible decisions over and over and over again. High school level decisions. Nobody was asking him to carry a terrible team to the playoffs. But asking the # 3 pick (in his 3rd year) to elevate a poor supporting cast to mediocrity? I dont think that's too much to ask if a guy is truly talented and has something between the years.
While Herbert obviously  had a better O around him it wasnt all world...especially with RBs rotating all year - and he had an awful coach as well and lit it up as a rookie....Sam hasnt had one game let alone a season where he looked like a stud like Herbert....only a play here or there....just not enough to get the benefit of the doubt IMO....but Ill trust JD on it.  

In 4 games Flacco had 6 TDs and 3 Ints and had way more big plays than Sam who finished with 9 TDs and 11 ints....Flacco looked washed and still looked better than Sam IMO.  
But Darnold was injured, making that a strange comp. 

maybe better to go back a year? Or to point to the games early in the season & compare healthy Darnold to what Flacco did? 

Flacco was better both to the eyes and statistically than Darnold. It wasn't even close. Flacco's ANY/A (adjusted net yards/attempt) was a 5.53, Darnold's was 4.16. That's woeful for both guys, but Darnold takes the exceptional cake. I mean, 4.16 is a really, really a bad number. It's worst of the worst kind of numbers, and those are the kind of numbers Darnold has thrown up three straight years. Worst of the worst. And lest we think it might be due to sample size, Flacco started four games, and almost won a game or two. The NYJ were, at the time, lucky to get out of New England with a loss that easily should have been a win but for a one-possession fourth quarter while the Pats rang up point after point. 

And what Dr. Octopus said!

Flacco was better both to the eyes and statistically than Darnold. It wasn't even close. Flacco's ANY/A (adjusted net yards/attempt) was a 5.53, Darnold's was 4.16. That's woeful for both guys, but Darnold takes the exceptional cake. I mean, 4.16 is a really, really a bad number. It's worst of the worst kind of numbers, and those are the kind of numbers Darnold has thrown up three straight years. Worst of the worst. And lest we think it might be due to sample size, Flacco started four games, and almost won a game or two. The NYJ were, at the time, lucky to get out of New England with a loss that easily should have been a win but for a one-possession fourth quarter while the Pats rang up point after point. 

And what Dr. Octopus said!
Amen.  The media excuses for Sam, and the easy ability to pile onto Gase/FOs overall incompetence continues to permeate in here.  Watch the guy, he is absolutely clueless.  Only thing he can do with relative consistency is lower his shoulder and power forward for a few yards, which is the linebacker in him.  He's had 3 years of NFL repetitions and coaching (and I don't care how bad the coaching staff's records have been, he has still been exposed to hundreds and hundreds of hours of professional development between actual practice reps, film, meetings etc.) and is going backwards.  At a point, someone with starting caliber capabilities will transcend the other BS and actually show competence.  We haven't seen that for more than maybe a quarter here and there from Sam.  Time to move on.

Amen.  The media excuses for Sam, and the easy ability to pile onto Gase/FOs overall incompetence continues to permeate in here.  Watch the guy, he is absolutely clueless.  Only thing he can do with relative consistency is lower his shoulder and power forward for a few yards, which is the linebacker in him.  He's had 3 years of NFL repetitions and coaching (and I don't care how bad the coaching staff's records have been, he has still been exposed to hundreds and hundreds of hours of professional development between actual practice reps, film, meetings etc.) and is going backwards.  At a point, someone with starting caliber capabilities will transcend the other BS and actually show competence.  We haven't seen that for more than maybe a quarter here and there from Sam.  Time to move on.
Darnold reminds me of Winston last year. People overrate him but I don't think the Jets get more than a 6th round pick for him, maybe even just end up cutting him, and he ends up being a backup somewhere.

I still think it's mistake to give up Darnold too soon but I can understand Jets' thinking process to have five years of cost-control and cap-friendly contract.  Hopefully, Darnold would end up on one of stable organization (say Steelers). 

This guy is still capable of making same pass as Zach Wilson

I still think it's mistake to give up Darnold too soon but I can understand Jets' thinking process to have five years of cost-control and cap-friendly contract.  Hopefully, Darnold would end up on one of stable organization (say Steelers). 

This guy is still capable of making same pass as Zach Wilson
Same concept but 30 yards shorter. I think we know what Darnold is now. Unless a very strong organization makes a play for him, I think he’s backup/spot starter material at this point. 

Vikings makes some sense to me if they can truly get him for cheaper than a 1st like NYJ has allegedly said his price would be

I don't think necessarily so.

It does protects them if they decide not to trade up (which it appears they're content not to do) and all the good QBs go before their pick. But if a guy manages to make it to their slot...
I guess. Then why ship off a 2, 4, and a 6 to pick up a guy that won't be playing for them long-term? Seems like an odd strategy. To me, this type of trade would make more sense AFTER the draft if they didn't land a QB. Drafting someone else would give them 2 QBs that wouldn't be the answer in Bridgewater and Darnold. So to me, this means they A) aren't interested in trading up, B) don't think the guy they want would ever make it to them, C) they are happy with someone else at 8, and/or D) they would be happy to trade down to recoup the picks they just gave up for Darnold.

Panthers acquired QB Sam Darnold from the Panthers in exchange for three draft picks. 

The Panthers are sending a 2021 sixth-rounder New York's way before getting more serious in 2022, where they will be shipping off their second- and fourth-rounders. It's not much of a haul — future picks are inherently less valuable — but it's a lot better than nothing, with the second-rounder at least representing real draft capital. As part of the deal, the Panthers are exercising Darnold's (guaranteed for injury only) fifth-year team option for 2022. Darnold is an uninspired Teddy Bridgewater back-up plan after the Panthers put all their eggs in the Deshaun Watson basket, but they can convince themselves 24-year-old (in June) Darnold still has untapped upside. Picking eighth later this month, the move doesn't necessarily take the Panthers out of the running for a rookie signal caller, though they already know the top three quarterbacks will come off the board in the top three picks. Darnold arrives to challenge or usurp Bridgewater after a horrendous 2020 where he had more picks than passing scores. It's tough to properly evaluate Darnold considering the lack of offensive talent and coaching acumen around him in New York, but most players with a bright future would have already displayed some semblance of the ability to create instant offense by now. That being said, Panthers OC Joe Brady is on the short list of people you would want to try to turn Darnold around. Darnold should be considered the favorite to start in September. 

RELATED: 

New York Jets

Apr 5, 2021, 4:02 PM ET

I know if I was a fan of Carolina I would be considerably more ecstatic we brought in Sam Darnold then say if I was a fan of the Bears and had to endure watching them try and re-cycle another has been who knows the system.At least take a shot on high pedigreed guy who was surrounded by poo and see if you can strike gold.

Nice move for Carolina.  That's basically nothing.
I have heard multiple reports that most teams have soured so much on Darnold that around the league there are tons of people who feel he now projects as a career backup. His PFF grades since coming to NYJ have been terrible. So based on that, a 2, 4, and 6 may not seem like much but it could end up being a lot if he doesn't start playing dramatically better. That would be a lot if he ends up as a backup.

I wonder if this also helps their posturing if Watson becomes available. Hey we can include Darnold in the package so you have a QB right away. You'd think he would be a lot more appealing that noodle arm Teddy...

I guess. Then why ship off a 2, 4, and a 6 to pick up a guy that won't be playing for them long-term? Seems like an odd strategy. To me, this type of trade would make more sense AFTER the draft if they didn't land a QB. Drafting someone else would give them 2 QBs that wouldn't be the answer in Bridgewater and Darnold. So to me, this means they A) aren't interested in trading up, B) don't think the guy they want would ever make it to them, C) they are happy with someone else at 8, and/or D) they would be happy to trade down to recoup the picks they just gave up for Darnold.
Because they dislike Bridgewater that much.

The cost isn't that much. A future second is like a third this year. And the 4 & 6...eh. They have three 6th rounders this year. 

They can't really cut him though. So hopefully for them they can trade him away. Maybe they already have someone on the line which is why they felt okay trading for Darnold (complete speculation on my part).

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/teddy-bridgewater-contract-breakdown-salary-bonuses/

Due to the $10 million in guaranteed salary remaining on Teddy Bridgewater’s contract in 2021, cutting him is not really an option. With the extra $5 million in prorated signing bonus accelerating onto the cap, Bridgewater would leave $20 million in dead money with the Panthers. Designating Bridgewater as a post-June 1 cut would save $5 million after that date. However, that saving is relatively insignificant and does not help the Panthers significantly in free agency.

The Panthers could free up over $10 million by trading Bridgewater

If the Panthers were to trade Teddy Bridgewater and his contract, they could save an extra $10 million against the cap. The guaranteed salary in Bridgewater’s contract would move over to the team acquiring him. Therefore, all the Panthers would be left with is $10 million in dead money.

Trading Bridgewater would save around $13 million on his projected cap hit of just under $23 million.

I have heard multiple reports that most teams have soured so much on Darnold that around the league there are tons of people who feel he now projects as a career backup. His PFF grades since coming to NYJ have been terrible. So based on that, a 2, 4, and 6 may not seem like much but it could end up being a lot if he doesn't start playing dramatically better. That would be a lot if he ends up as a backup.
A worthwhile lotto ticket to me.  Fresh start away from the disaster that is the Jets could be all he needs. 

Because they dislike Bridgewater that much.

The cost isn't that much. A future second is like a third this year. And the 4 & 6...eh. They have three 6th rounders this year. 

They can't really cut him though. So hopefully for them they can trade him away. Maybe they already have someone on the line which is why they felt okay trading for Darnold (complete speculation on my part).
Besides the Bridgewater cap situation, they would have a similar problem if (once?) they find out that Darnold is not the answer either. His fifth year option already was picked up, meaning in 2022 he is guaranteed $18.8M. The only way they could avoid that would be to trade Darnold, but if he struck out again in 2021, I'm guessing another team wouldn't love having to eat $18.8M to acquire him.

As someone more interested in the NFL draft aspect of this, it solidifies one more QB going early. Pushes back any other position one spot.

Carolina has been searching for a new QB since the season ended and I applaud them giving Sam Darnold a trial. He has not done well, everyone agrees, but he has not had any help. I think his pedigree with Joe Brady and Head Coach Rhule with nice offensive weapons is a good plan, both for Carolina and for Darnold. I am buying Darnold as a cheap option in 2021.

As someone more interested in the NFL draft aspect of this, it solidifies one more QB going early. Pushes back any other position one spot.
Why does it solidify one more QB going early? As I recently posted, it would make Darnold a pointless acquisition for CAR to draft another QB given they already have Darnold and Bridgewater.

Users who are viewing this thread