What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Sam Darnold, MIN (4 Viewers)

Sam Darnold (shoulder) will be limited at Wednesday's practice.

Coach Adam Gase said Darnold will do “quite a bit” in practice. It's a good sign for Darnold's Week 12 status.  Darnold remains day to day, but barring a setback, looks likely to start against the Dolphins. 

SOURCE: ESPN

Nov 25, 2020, 11:21 AM ET

Sam Darnold (shoulder) will start in Week 12 against the Dolphins. 

Darnold will take his spot under center for the moribund Jets offense. He's only usable in superflex and 2-QB formats against one of the league's best defenses. Darnold is a marked boost for Jamison Crowder and a downgrade for Breshad Perriman, who had served as Joe Flacco's preferred downfield target. 

SOURCE: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter 

Nov 27, 2020, 4:45 PM ET

Sam Darnold completed 16-of-27 passes for 197 yards with two interceptions in Week 12 against the Dolphins. 

It's the fourth straight start without a touchdown for Darnold, who missed the last three weeks with an AC Joint sprain. The Dolphins defense sacked him on three of his 27 dropbacks. Darnold was going against one of the league's best defenses behind an injured offensive line, but this won't do anything to quiet the Trevor Lawrence talks. The winless Jets will take on the Raiders in Week 13

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Sam Darnold completed 16-of-27 passes for 197 yards with two interceptions in Week 12 against the Dolphins. 

It's the fourth straight start without a touchdown for Darnold, who missed the last three weeks with an AC Joint sprain. The Dolphins defense sacked him on three of his 27 dropbacks. Darnold was going against one of the league's best defenses behind an injured offensive line, but this won't do anything to quiet the Trevor Lawrence talks. The winless Jets will take on the Raiders in Week 13

- Rotoworld
Someone might want to tell Rotoworld that a sack is not a pass attempt.

27 passes + 3 sacks = 30 dropbacks

Sam Darnold has the second lowest adjusted completion rate this season, according to Pro Football Focus. 

Drew Lock is the only quarterback with a lower adjusted completion rate through 11 weeks. The adjusted rate accounts for dropped passes, throw aways, spiked balls, batted passes, and passes where the quarterback is hit while throwing. Darnold completed a measly 16-of-27 passes for 197 yards with two interceptions on Sunday against Miami. His 69.7 percent adjusted completion rate is about five percent lower than it was in 2019. Darnold's adjusted yards per attempt has taken a big hit too, dropping from 6.9 A/YA in 2018 and 2019 to 5.7 this season. The Jets might be better off with Joe Flacco under center for the remainder of another lost season. Darnold will be a reclamation project for whoever coaches the Jets in 2021. 

Nov 30, 2020, 11:25 AM ET

I might be mistaken but I think I remember wondering what the big deal was about him the little I watched him at USC.

I think it's over and he's a complete bust.

I might be mistaken but I think I remember wondering what the big deal was about him the little I watched him at USC.

I think it's over and he's a complete bust.
I think he'll get another chance....he's almost lucky Gase is so bad....teams could see how Tannenhill thrived away from him and give Sam another shot....best situation for him would be a Pitt/Indy type set up where he could sit for a year or 2 then take over.  crazy to think but hes younger than Burrow.  

Sam Darnold completed 22-of-31 passes for 207 yards and a touchdown in the Jets' 23-20, Week 15 win over the Rams. 

Just like that, the Jets are now 1-13 and no longer in the driver's seat for the No. 1 overall pick, aka Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence. The also 1-13 Jaguars hold the tiebreaker with the easier strength of schedule. Jets fans will be aghast that Gang Green did not see the tank through, but truth be told, they did not play that well or aggressively. The Rams simply slept walked through a catastrophic loss. The Jets put the ball in Frank Gore's gut over and over again, and his 23/59/1 line was somehow enough. Darnold's score was an 18-yard strike to Ty Johnson on the Jets' opening drive where the Rams never accounted for the running back. There was a miscommunication between the linebackers and secondary. Beyond that, Darnold found each of Jamison Crowder, Chris Herndon and Breshad Perriman for 20-yard gains, but nothing longer than 24. It was mostly the same old Jets, minus no turnovers. It was not the same old Rams. The Jets close the season vs. CLE and @NE, with the Jags going vs. CHI, @ IND. That is a distinct Jags advantage when it comes to landing, yes, generational talent Lawrence.

- Rotoworld

Sam Darnold completed 16-of-32 passes for 175 yards and two touchdowns in the Jets' Week 16 win over the Browns.

With the Browns missing six key contributors on offense, the Jets pulled off their second-straight upset of 2020. New York handed Jacksonville the 2021 No. 1 overall pick with the win, but Darnold certainly doesn't care about that. In fact, this win increased his odds of staying as the Jets starter next season. The front office will now have to weigh Darnold with the non-Trevor Lawrence quarterbacks in the upcoming draft. Darnold has one more chance at showing why he deserves a shot with a new coaching staff.

- Rotoworld

Sam Darnold faced the highest pressure rate of any quarterback in the NFL this season. 

Darnold was under pressure on 43.3 percent of his drop backs this year, according to Pro Football Focus. Ben Roethlisberger, meanwhile, faced pressure on 20.9 percent of his drop backs, the lowest rate in the league. Behind a porous offensive line, Darnold was constantly on the run in his 11 starts. He completed 44.9 percent of his passes while under pressure, the eighth lowest mark in the NFL. Having time to operate in the pocket will be key for Darnold wherever he plays next. 

Jan 4, 2021, 9:18 AM ET

the first few paged are a great (re)read. 

I was sadly dead on about the kid. but hope.he rebounds outside of NY. Jets crushed his soul and he didnt deserve that

I feel bad for me, actually. I'm a Jets fan. I want to see Teddy, and there's no way on God's green earth that he starts the year even though he won the job and is our best QB right now. He got stuck in a prove it deal -- and then the Jets traded up and Darnold fell to the Jets instead of Mayfield, who you could justify sitting for a year or so.

It's a perfect storm of suck for the fans, who have to suffer through massive growing pains with shaky skill players rather than watching a great story unfold.   
Oof. Never thought I'd be this prescient. 

the first few paged are a great (re)read. 

I was sadly dead on about the kid. but hope.he rebounds outside of NY. Jets crushed his soul and he didnt deserve that
Yeah, you slobbing his #### before the Browns took Mayfield was wonderful that year.

I hope he gets a legit second chance. He declared before he was ready then went to a situation set up for him to fail. 

Oh. Not you. My bad with the quote. It was somebody else, I forget who.
No you’re right he was in the Browns thread where he literally said he was creaming his pants imaging then offense with Darnold when the rumors were the Browns were going to take him.

I still like Darnold.  The Jets are a mess.  The injuries and mono did not help. He is talented and in the right situation he could be good.  I could see him in Indy or what would be really interesting is if he ended up in Dallas.
He does have the potential to be a good but not great QB.   With better players around him, he could be good enough to lead a team to the playoffs.    

He does have the potential to be a good but not great QB.   With better players around him, he could be good enough to lead a team to the playoffs.    
Agree with this. He has the goods to be a very solid NFL starter that can lead a team with talent around him. The Jets were a terrible situation for him. If they get in a good staff and OC...he can still become a really viable QB in this league. 

Hadn't really paid much attention to the Jets as an organization but after hearing years and years of complaining here I looked at their history and its atrocious.   That means ownership issues which impacts the front office and coaching decisions which impacts the players.  

I think they have to address the systemic issue first because we can all say all this guy needs is a coach and an offensive system and better WRs/O-Line, which is a lot and not an easy fix when the real issue is ownership has to admit their role in either interfering or being 'hands off' when they should have stepped-in.  Then address whatever front office issues their are, then get the head coach.  

Not an easy fix and I don't blame Darnold who walked into a viper pit and it would take an unusually strong leader to fix it from the bottom-up when it needs to get fixed from the top-down.

No you’re right he was in the Browns thread where he literally said he was creaming his pants imaging then offense with Darnold when the rumors were the Browns were going to take him.
Or you can go to the first post of this thread (from me) and use the time/date stamp, and stop being the ##### you've been this entire thread? Maybe?

Or you can go to the first post of this thread (from me) and use the time/date stamp, and stop being the ##### you've been this entire thread? Maybe?
You said it in the Browns thread. When the rumors were that they were going after Darnold, you literally said "I'm creaming my pants dreaming how good this offense will be".

But I don't care to argue with you about it. I like your shtick. 

Imagine that... Changing your opinion of a player from one year of college to the next?

But ya... IM the problem 
No one said you're a problem. I was just letting @rockaction know he wasn't crazy. Believe it or not I don't really care what you have to say. Generally I like your enthusiam about your team.

You said it in the Browns thread. When the rumors were that they were going after Darnold, you literally said "I'm creaming my pants dreaming how good this offense will be".

But I don't care to argue with you about it. I like your shtick. 
Yes, i said it well before he started being a pile of crap. Again, the timestamps are there. As the season progressed, i wanted nothing to do w him

I think he's got more upside than that. I'd need convinced his stock is much different now than 2018. He's still just 23, so get him to an organization with a clue and develop him.

I think he's got more upside than that. I'd need convinced his stock is much different now than 2018. He's still just 23, so get him to an organization with a clue and develop him.
That's a lot of developing. Sure, he can probably fix his mechanics with a lot of work - probably the main cause of his inaccuracy. You can give him better weapons and a better system. The toughest thing to fix will be his inability to read defenses and find open receivers.  Oh, and to stay healthy.

That's a lot of developing. Sure, he can probably fix his mechanics with a lot of work - probably the main cause of his inaccuracy. You can give him better weapons and a better system. The toughest thing to fix will be his inability to read defenses and find open receivers.  Oh, and to stay healthy.
I don't know how much unscrewing needs to done to him after being cancered up by Gase for 2 years, but I don't think he's meaningfully different now than when he declared too early. QB's like him in the future cannot make that mistake. Ones that are talented enough to be picked in the top 5, but too raw to lead a desperate and poorly run team out of the tank.

I don't know how much unscrewing needs to done to him after being cancered up by Gase for 2 years, but I don't think he's meaningfully different now than when he declared too early. QB's like him in the future cannot make that mistake. Ones that are talented enough to be picked in the top 5, but too raw to lead a desperate and poorly run team out of the tank.
Lots of screwing. He regressed big time this year. Although imo, he still makes a lot of the same mistakes that he made in college. Careless with the ball or poor decisions. He used to try to be a hero, but I think he really got shell-shocked towards the end of the season and rarely threw downfield. Still, sometimes he will just chuck it up into triple-coverage and you just shake your head. 

His ball placement has been really bad, too, but I think that's due to his mechanics. His footwork is worse than ever. He throws off his back-foot a lot. Sometimes he has a guy open for a pass that should go for 20 yards, but he will spot the receiver late or place it in a position where the receiver cannot advance the ball those additional 10 yards. One more area of concern is that this past week, he got all three WRs hurt or almost hurt with these balloon (not as bad as Rivers) passes that were high and as soon as the receiver touched the ball, he got walloped.

There is a lot of work to be done here.  Can he do it? He's young, but it's no overnight fix.

Does Darnold end up with Colts who won't pay what it takes for Stafford? Assuming Jets go another direction at QB.

ESPN's Adam Schefter thinks Sam Darnold could be worth a late first-round pick if traded.

This is not a report saying Darnold will fetch a late first-round pick, nor is it a report that Darnold will in fact be traded. Rather, it's his speculation after seeing what teams were offering for Matthew Stafford. The Jets haven't publicly shopped Darnold yet, but they certainly will be in the mix for Deshaun Watson if the Texans are willing to listen. Darnold, 24, has a career 6.6 yards per attempt average through three Adam Gase-led seasons. He hasn't played like a first-round pick under the worst circumstances, but 24-year-old quarterbacks with his pre-draft pedigree don't hit the market often. What the Jets do with their $63 million cap space and No. 2 overall pick is a leading offseason storyline.

SOURCE: uSTADIUM on Twitter

Feb 2, 2021, 9:44 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread