Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Sam Darnold - Meow, he's a Panther.


Recommended Posts

Quote

ESPN's Adam Schefter thinks Sam Darnold could be worth a late first-round pick if traded.

This is not a report saying Darnold will fetch a late first-round pick, nor is it a report that Darnold will in fact be traded. Rather, it's his speculation after seeing what teams were offering for Matthew Stafford. The Jets haven't publicly shopped Darnold yet, but they certainly will be in the mix for Deshaun Watson if the Texans are willing to listen. Darnold, 24, has a career 6.6 yards per attempt average through three Adam Gase-led seasons. He hasn't played like a first-round pick under the worst circumstances, but 24-year-old quarterbacks with his pre-draft pedigree don't hit the market often. What the Jets do with their $63 million cap space and No. 2 overall pick is a leading offseason storyline.

SOURCE: uSTADIUM on Twitter

Feb 2, 2021, 9:44 PM ET

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a Jets fan, Darnold was in a terrible situation with Jets. But he was also a terrible quarterback with them. He'll certainly have a good game or two if -- that's if -- he ever starts for Carolina,

I don't know how good he'll be in the NFL but when you have a chance to be a top 5 pick you don't risk your health playing another season for free.

You seem to have this odd fixation on this point. Very weird. 

2 hours ago, ffmail4me said:

No one is giving up a 1st for him, come on 🤣

Yeah I don’t see that either. If the jets draft a qb, they wouldn’t want the competition would they? I think they’d be motivated to move him. He could end up with a decent spot once some of the dust settles, there’s bound to be a team that doesn’t get the qb they want and might view darnold as an option. I think there’s a chance he can be a decent qb. I could see someone giving a 2nd plus maybe a conditional future pick in the 4-6 range. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Im a huge Jet fan and dont see how its possible for Darnold to bring in a 1st rder...if he does Joe Douglas would be GM of the year!  

I could see perhaps a team flipping a late 1st rd pick for the Jets early 3rd rder or something....but thats a max...I think a late 2d is much more realistic  but have a feeling he may be staying put

Edited by Kiddnets
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ffmail4me said:

Darnold hasn't show much more than Haskins did, and he was cut. I'm thinking 3rd rounder is BEST CASE Jets could hope for. He just doesn't have ANY body of work to back up that kind of return. 

While Sam has not been good he's shown way more than Haskins....he has shown enough flashes and the NFL saw how Tanny did without Gase to invest a 2d or 3rd rder in the potential.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kiddnets said:

While Sam has not been good he's shown way more than Haskins....he has shown enough flashes and the NFL saw how Tanny did without Gase to invest a 2d or 3rd rder in the potential.  

A 2nd if you are Gase or work for the Texans maybe. ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ffmail4me said:

Darnold hasn't show much more than Haskins did, 

Darnold is not good - but this isn't true at all. Haskins was a horrible player, a terrible teammate and a general jackass.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2021 at 3:06 PM, Dr. Octopus said:

Darnold is not good - but this isn't true at all. Haskins was a horrible player, a terrible teammate and a general jackass.

I'm not sold on Darnold not being good. He was in a really bad and messy situation.  I think he has flashed at times but he was under multiple head coaches, front offices and a pretty nasty "mono" bug that surely was difficult to recover from.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports multiple teams have reached out to the Jets about trading for QB Sam Darnold. 

The Jets hold the second pick in the 2021 NFL Draft and are nearly certain to be eying a quarterback, likely Ohio State's Justin Fields or BYU's Zach Wilson. That means that Darnold will have no more value than any other high-end backup passer once day one of the draft concludes. Other teams clearly recognize this and are likely trying to scoop up a project quarterback for pennies on the dollar. Darnold will only be 24 years old a the start of the 2021 season and was set up for failure in New York. His play also expedited the process as he averaged just 6.6 yards per attempt across three seasons. Schefter previously reported that Darnold will cost teams a late first-round pick and there will likely be a team who is willing to gamble on Darnold for that price.  

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Feb 7, 2021, 9:16 AM ET

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just can’t imagine anyone giving up a 1st for him. Seems crazy. So much of his value is seemingly tied up in “the Gase effect” now, and the potential post Gase bump. It’s a risky play as it’s just as likely Darnold just stinks wherever he ends up. It just shows you how historically awful a coach Gase was. Regardless of how much of a bust you look like, the simple fact that Gase coached you gets you a 2nd look.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, osubuckeyeman said:

I'm not sold on Darnold not being good. He was in a really bad and messy situation.  I think he has flashed at times but he was under multiple head coaches, front offices and a pretty nasty "mono" bug that surely was difficult to recover from.

He hasn’t had any favors bestowed on him by the team, but a lot of his mistakes at this point are on him. Joe Flacco moved the offense much better than he did under the same circumstances.

I wouldn’t say there’s no hope for him, and as I’ve said in the Jets thread I could even get on board with drafting Sewell, and a WR and signing a WR like a Allen Robinson and giving Sam one last chance - but if they dump him I’ll surely understand why.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Balco said:

Darnold is not the player a team like the colts need - they need an experienced effective starter. Darnold shows a flash one out of every 50 snaps. 
 

 

To be fair, Darnold has been stuck on the Jets, a terrible franchise with below average players at the skill positions and a crappy offensive coach (who was masquerading as a head coach).  Darnold is still salvageable with the right coach and on a team with actual weapons.  

Edited by Ghost Rider
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Balco said:

Darnold is not the player a team like the colts need - they need an experienced effective starter. Darnold shows a flash one out of every 50 snaps. 
 

 

I tend to agree that the Colts are more in win now mode.....but not a lot of other win now choices out there

I personally think  Pitt or SF would be best landing spots for Sam - let him sit for a yr and regroup.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

To be fair, Darnold has been stuck on the Jets, a terrible franchise with below average players at the skill positions and a crappy offensive coach (who was masquerading as a head coach).  Darnold is still salvageable with the right coach and on a team with actual weapons.  

Disagree - it’s evident he has a tough time reading defenses and does not get rid of ball quick enough. Can he be a backup? No doubt. But backups don’t cost first rounders. Or second rounders.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Faust said:

Chase Stuart has done great analytics work on this and Sam's advanced stats are terrible, regardless of who he has had around him as personnel and as coaches. He just hasn't been good, and his numbers get worse when compared to other similar quarterbacks historically. Guys like Christian Ponder were comparisons being thrown around. That's awful.

He's on the last year of a rookie deal, as the article points out. Best to draft someone and take the low-first round or high-second round draft pick they're talking about. Imagine three first round picks for the Jets. You'd replenish your team right quick with good drafting. And Mel Kiper? Oh, jeez. Who really cares about his draft grades?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, rockaction said:

Chase Stuart has done great analytics work on this and Sam's advanced stats are terrible, regardless of who he has had around him as personnel and as coaches. He just hasn't been good, and his numbers get worse when compared to other similar quarterbacks historically. Guys like Christian Ponder were comparisons being thrown around. That's awful.

He's on the last year of a rookie deal, as the article points out. Best to draft someone and take the low-first round or high-second round draft pick they're talking about. Imagine three first round picks for the Jets. You'd replenish your team right quick with good drafting. And Mel Kiper? Oh, jeez. Who really cares about his draft grades?

Sadly I agree....while its true the JEts didnt do Sam any favors with an awful coaching staff and limited weapons...the bottom line is he still made awful rookie decisions in his 3rd season....there are too many reasons to move on....lots of QBs available....#2 overall pick,,,,,but the contract is the worse part...if he was going into yr 3 then Id be more open to rolling the dice....its the last real yr of his rookie deal...no one is giving him the extra yr at $25M...so you are looking at a Tanny situation at best...

Jets in full rebuild and can get the 2d best QB in the draft or trade for a much better QB....plus deal Sam for additional compensation (still dont see how they get a 1st but even a 2d rder would help)....it's time to move on....

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope the Colts don't trade for this guy.  I much more prefer Wentz and I have reservations about him too.  I can see the Colts trading up from 21 and can only hope it doesn't cost the farm to do so.  By giving up the farm, I mean that's what it will cost to get Fields or Lance.  Forget about Lawrence and Wilson, because they are going 1 / 2.  I could see them trading up slightly for someone like Mac Jones, who I'm not a huge fan of either, for reasons already posted in other threads.  

Edited to remove reference to Ridder in the 2nd.  He is returning.

Edited by JohnnyU
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

I really hope the Colts don't trade for this guy.

I'm a Jets fan and I don't blame you, but Wentz as preferable? I'd check their contracts before deciding upon that. Wentz's is an albatross. Sam can be cut as early as next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I'm a Jets fan and I don't blame you, but Wentz as preferable? I'd check their contracts before deciding upon that. Wentz's is an albatross. Sam can be cut as early as next year.

Wentz has had a great year when Reich was there, Darnold hasn't done anything.  They are both young.  Have you seen the Colts' cap space?  Plus, I could see a deal being worked in a trade where Philly eats some of that contract.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I'm a Jets fan and I don't blame you, but Wentz as preferable? I'd check their contracts before deciding upon that. Wentz's is an albatross. Sam can be cut as early as next year.

It's a tough call because of their respective contracts, as you point out, but Wentz has shown to be the superior player when both were at their best. If I was a true contender like the Colts I don't think I would want to roll the dice on either one. I'd actually look at a guy like Ryan Fitzpatrick - who has his flaws as well - before giving up assets for Wentz or Darnold,

With that said, I'll gladly take the Colts first for Darnold if they are willing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JohnnyU said:

Darnold hasn't done anything. 

Truth.

Colts have a lot of cap room, but I think it's probably wiser to use it elsewhere. But the Colts are definitely in the market for a QB without a corresponding draft pick to get one, so...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr. Octopus said:

It's a tough call because of their respective contracts, as you point out, but Wentz has shown to be the superior player when both were at their best. If I was a true contender like the Colts I don't think I would want to roll the dice on either one. I'd actually look at a guy like Ryan Fitzpatrick - who has his flaws as well - before giving up assets for Wentz or Darnold,

With that said, I'll gladly take the Colts first for Darnold if they are willing.

I agree with pretty much all of this. If I were in charge, I'd have a tough time parting ways with a one and then some for either Darnold or Wentz and his contract. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

It's a tough call because of their respective contracts, as you point out, but Wentz has shown to be the superior player when both were at their best. If I was a true contender like the Colts I don't think I would want to roll the dice on either one. I'd actually look at a guy like Ryan Fitzpatrick - who has his flaws as well - before giving up assets for Wentz or Darnold,

With that said, I'll gladly take the Colts first for Darnold if they are willing.

I think the Colts need to quit with the one year band-aid approach if possible.  One could say, "but the Colts are built to win now".  Well, you can't keep on signing one-year QBs while players like Nelson, Leonard, Buckner, and Kelly aren't getting younger each year.  I believe Wentz could be a long term solution on a team like the Colts.  Having Darnold is like that taste you get in your mouth before you brush your teeth in the morning.

Edited by JohnnyU
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

I think the Colts need to quit with the one year band-aid approach if possible.  One could say, "but the Colts are built to win now".  Well, you can't keep on signing one-year QBs while players like Nelson, Leonard, Buckner, and Kelly aren't getting younger each year.  I believe Wentz could be a long term solution on a team like the Colts.  Having Darnold is like that taste you get in your mouth before you brush your teeth in the morning.

They could sign Fitz and draft a QB.

Wentz surely has upside and Reich has shown he can work with him, but sometimes guys just get "broken" and stay that way. Giving up a first round pick (plus) and also taking on that contract could be a disaster if Wentz can't be fixed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

They could sign Fitz and draft a QB.

Wentz surely has upside and Reich has shown he can work with him, but sometimes guys just get "broken" and stay that way. Giving up a first round pick (plus) and also taking on that contract could be a disaster if Wentz can't be fixed.

I don't think the Colts should give more than a 1st rd pick for Wentz if they take on his salary as well.  If Philly eats the contract we're probably looking at a lot more than just the #21 overall.

Edited by JohnnyU
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

I don't think the Colts should give more than a 1st rd pick for Wentz if they take on his salary as well.  If Philly eats the contract we're probably looking at a lot more than just the #21 overall.

Philly is in complete cap hell - I'm not sure they can eat the contract.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

I don't think the Colts should give more than a 1st rd pick for Wentz if they take on his salary as well.  If Philly eats the contract we're probably looking at a lot more than just the #21 overall.

A #1 is way too much for Wentz. Darnold becomes an interesting consideration for the Colts if priced accordingly. I think he's worth the rehab dart because of his contract.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

A #1 is way too much for Wentz. Darnold becomes an interesting consideration for the Colts if priced accordingly. I think he's worth the rehab dart because of his contract.

Cool, I would hate for them to give a 1st for Wentiz.  Either way, I still prefer Wentz over Darnold.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t see any universe where Darnold is traded for a 1st round pick. As a Skins fan, these rumors that they might be interested in him are terrifying.

As a prospect in his current form, his biggest selling point is that he could have the “post Gase bump” that many players have experienced. The problem with this thinking is a guy like Tannehill showed a lot more under Gase than Darnold has. When your biggest selling point as a player is your coach was awful, that’s not a great sign. Like if this guy happened to be drafted by a team with just a mediocre coach instead of a historically awful one, would Darnold still be getting serious interest, or would he just be seen as another first round QB bust? I’m guessing it’s the latter.

Edited by Johnny Utah #9
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Johnny Utah #9 said:

Like if this guy happened to be drafted by a team with just a mediocre coach instead of a historically awful one, would Darnold still be getting serious interest, or would he just be seen as another first round QB bust? I’m guessing it’s the latter.

He also played for Bowles and wasn't good. Can't forget that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Sam Darnold could be available for a team's second round pick. 

The Jets are widely expected to use the No. 2 pick in the NFL Draft on Justin Fields or Zach Wilson, making Darnold expendable after Adam Gase nearly destroyed his career. League sources told SportsNet New York's Ralph Vacchiano that the Eagles trading Carson Wentz to the Colts for a third rounder and a conditional second rounder wouldn't change the Jets' asking price for Darnold. Vacchiano reports the Jets' asking price for their QB "has long been projected to be a second-round pick, plus maybe another mid-to-late rounder." Incredibly just 23 years old, Darnold could be an enticing target for a QB-needy team like Washington, who is reportedly interested in dealing for Darnold. It would be stunning if a team -- Washington or otherwise -- offered anything more than a second round pick for Darnold. 

RELATED: 

Washington Football Team

SOURCE: SNY.tv 

Feb 19, 2021, 9:13 AM ET

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ffmail4me said:

If I'm Washington I don't give up more than a 3rd. At least Wentz proved he COULD play in the NFL at a high level. Why give up a first day pick for someone who has NEVER done that? 

First day pick = 1st round picks.

Second day pick = 2nd & 3rd round picks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Faust said:

 

Darnold could be an enticing target for a QB-needy team like Washington, who is reportedly interested in dealing for Darnold. It would be stunning if a team -- Washington or otherwise -- offered anything more than a second round pick for Darnold.

Reading those 2 sentences above caused me to have a traumatic flashback to the Bruce years, which aren't too far in the past for me to still feel the multiple gut punches that have left lasting bruises and pain. That, and the fact that even with Bruce gone, The Danny's still the Owner, so there's still no telling what shenanigans might ensue.

A well-told joke always has a great set-up for the punchline. That's exactly how I heard those two sentence above in my head as a I read them. As in: 'Wait for it...' , you know, right?

Please, WFTskins, you're on the right track...stay there.

I'm seriously scarred.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Edgar said:

I would love to see Darnold in Pittsburgh. Their late 2nd rounder should get it done

I think thats a good situation for him as well.....also keep in mind the JEts GM did a conditional pick deal with NYG on Leo Williams - I could see a deal where the Jets get a mid rd pick this yr and a conditional in 2022....if Darnold stays, starts a certain amount and/or is re-signed by the team traded to it escalates to a higher pick next yr.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Jets have received "real interest" in Sam Darnold. 

Rapoport said the team would "complete their evaluations of the top QBs in the NFL Draft before making any decisions" on what to do with Darnold. All signs point to the Jets trading Darnold in the coming weeks. The Patriots and Washington have expressed some interest in acquiring Darnold in hopes that Adam Gase did not permanently break the once-promising QB. Rapoport said the Jets are in no hurry to deal Darnold, who could be left in career limbo for at least the next two months. 

RELATED: 

New England Patriots

, Washington Football Team

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Feb 22, 2021, 12:15 PM ET

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2021 at 9:07 AM, Kiddnets said:

I think thats a good situation for him as well.....also keep in mind the JEts GM did a conditional pick deal with NYG on Leo Williams - I could see a deal where the Jets get a mid rd pick this yr and a conditional in 2022....if Darnold stays, starts a certain amount and/or is re-signed by the team traded to it escalates to a higher pick next yr.  

Steelers already have Haskins for a reclamation project. Taking on Darnold would be a bit much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Soulfly3 changed the title to Sam Darnold - Meow, he's a Panther.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   1 member


×
×
  • Create New...