What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Sam Darnold, MIN (2 Viewers)

Besides the Bridgewater cap situation, they would have a similar problem if (once?) they find out that Darnold is not the answer either. His fifth year option already was picked up, meaning in 2022 he is guaranteed $18.8M. The only way they could avoid that would be to trade Darnold, but if he struck out again in 2021, I'm guessing another team wouldn't love having to eat $18.8M to acquire him.
Carolina also built itself a good out with Bridgewater after two years. Moving on from him ahead of the 2022 season would cost them only $5 million in dead money with a cap savings of $21 million, or equal to Bridgewater's average annual salary.
You're right that it would be a similar situation if Darnold flames out - But he would cost about $3m than TB will next year. But obviously they don't expect him to fail. 

does he have an "affordable" contract?
Teddy would carry a $21M cap hit for the 2021 season to a new team if traded. CAR would have to eat a $5M cap charge. NE has $12M in cap space (but still has to eat money from Patrick Chung retiring and sign their rookies). So him ending up in NE would be a challenge unless his deal was redone prior to the trade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Teddy would carry a $21M cap hit for the 2021 season to a new team if traded. CAR would have to eat a $5M cap charge. NE has $12M in cap space (but still has to eat money from Patrick Chung retiring and sign their rookies). So him ending up in NE would be a challenge unless his deal was redone prior to the trade.
Broncos have $28m in space and George Paton was in Minnesota when Teddy was there. That'd be intriguing. 

Atlanta has one less trading partner for pick #4. And Denver might have a choice of either Lance or Jones at #9. NE could take the QB left behind at #15.

I think the opposite. IMO, they are now less like to draft a QB if one is available there. That makes them more likely to trade down if someone hit them with a big offer for their pick.
If a QB falls to them and they don't draft him they are even dumber than I thought. 

Banking on a retread who has shown nothing in 3 years is a terrible plan. 

Atlanta has one less trading partner for pick #4. And Denver might have a choice of either Lance or Jones at #9. NE could take the QB left behind at #15.
That is assuming no one else is willing to trade up. CHI and WFT are still in play, and to a lesser extent teams like PIT or NOS. I think it will depend who falls and how far. I still doubt anyone lands in the Patriots lap without them having to move up.

I think the opposite. IMO, they are now less like to draft a QB if one is available there. That makes them more likely to trade down if someone hit them with a big offer for their pick.
Sorry I mean trade up I guess. I mean trade early, less likely to trade earlier in the draft. 

If a QB falls to them and they don't draft him they are even dumber than I thought. 

Banking on a retread who has shown nothing in 3 years is a terrible plan. 
As I mentioned twice already . . . then why bother trading for Darnold NOW? wait until after the draft and see who you can get in the draft. They could also then see which displaced QBs would be available besides Darnold. And of course they could still have traded for Darnold. Why on earth would they trade for Darnold AND guarantee him almost $19M for next year?

As I mentioned twice already . . . then why bother trading for Darnold NOW? wait until after the draft and see who you can get in the draft. They could also then see which displaced QBs would be available besides Darnold. And of course they could still have traded for Darnold. Why on earth would they trade for Darnold AND guarantee him almost $19M for next year?
Agreed.  So, so dumb. 

Because then Darnold might not be available. 

Jets shopped him and got what they could. Is my guess. Carolina gets young arm give a second chance. I am not a fan of Darnold as I think he is slow in processing he field. But we shall see. 

Should have just signed Josh Rosen 😆
No, he managed to show nothing and not have to be tied to Gase. I’m certainly not writing off a guy that was drafted into the worst ran organization and possessed the least talent on the offensive side of the ball in the entire league. Breshad Perriman was his number 1 WR last year and Frank Gore was his starting running back for God’s sake. 

This is falling Pats way on trading with Atlanta at #4. 
I would not expect NE to do a pick swap and then trade two additional firsts and a third like SF did with the Jets. I have been following what the NE beat guys have been saying, and they seem to feel the most NE would likely offer to move up is a first round pick swap and a 2nd and a 3rd. Or a first round pick swap and a future first. Basically, way less than the Niners gave up.

But again, I think a lot will depend on which guys drop and how far. I don't think they would go from 15 to 4 to take Lance or Jones, but they might for Fields. IMO, with each spot that a QB drops, the more likely a team will leap frog past NE to take him.

I would not expect NE to do a pick swap and then trade two additional firsts and a third like SF did with the Jets. I have been following what the NE beat guys have been saying, and they seem to feel the most NE would likely offer to move up is a first round pick swap and a 2nd and a 3rd. Or a first round pick swap and a future first. Basically, way less than the Niners gave up.

But again, I think a lot will depend on which guys drop and how far. I don't think they would go from 15 to 4 to take Lance or Jones, but they might for Fields. IMO, with each spot that a QB drops, the more likely a team will leap frog past NE to take him.
See I thought Carolina would be competition to move up to take QB. And feared Pats trading at bargain bin for Darnold. Both are less likely now. So I view this as a better position for Pats now. Yes, I’m thinking of trading down to 4 for Lance or Fields. 

It may mean Atlanta wanted to much for a trade to #4 or Atlanta is going to take a QB.  I understand the whole restructure for Matt Ryan but don't you pay the 4th slotted rookie the same regardless or is it slotted by position of the player selected? I always thought it is by the number slot. My point being if Atlanta sticks at #4 why would they not take a QB? You have to pay the #4 slot the same regardless. And you hope to not be picking #4 again anytime soon.  I think this points to Atlanta taking a QB or they wanted way to much to move back. There is always Denver I suppose.
Multiple places today have indicated that ATL is open to trade down and is shopping their pick. They are so in bed with Matt Ryan that it would be really difficult to get off the $65M cap hit they will have to take on him across the next three years. It would be bad business for them to take a QB at 4. They would either be wasting the benefit of a low dollar QB for multiple years, have the biggest contract on the team sitting for years, or eating a GIGANTIC cap hit by getting rid of Ryan.

It may mean Atlanta wanted to much for a trade to #4 or Atlanta is going to take a QB.  I understand the whole restructure for Matt Ryan but don't you pay the 4th slotted rookie the same regardless or is it slotted by position of the player selected? I always thought it is by the number slot. My point being if Atlanta sticks at #4 why would they not take a QB? You have to pay the #4 slot the same regardless. And you hope to not be picking #4 again anytime soon.  I think this points to Atlanta taking a QB or they wanted way to much to move back. There is always Denver I suppose.
Don’t overlook that division rivals don’t trade often. You win division you usually make playoffs. So...

See I thought Carolina would be competition to move up to take QB. And feared Pats trading at bargain bin for Darnold. Both are less likely now. So I view this as a better position for Pats now. Yes, I’m thinking of trading down to 4 for Lance or Fields. 
I think Lance has bust written all over him. Youngest guy available, hasn't played in a year, only 17 starts, played in a cupcake league. As others have mentioned, more of a runner than a passer.

IMO, CAR acquiring Darnold doesn't move the needle at all for NE. It just means the Panthers are more likely to move their pick to a team that DOES need a QB.

I just am not so sure how much of an upgrade Sam is than Teddy.  Could there be more to this?  Is something else in play? Moving Teddy? Getting Darnold as a place holder for another move?  It just seems odd.  Unless they just think Sam is such a better player than Sam. Or they just think Sam fits what they want to do much better than Teddy.
I’d guess Carolina Thinks they won’t get a better arm talent than Darnold. Atlanta probably refused trade in division. Teddy has big contract. They want reset at QB. 

I just am not so sure how much of an upgrade Sam is than Teddy.  Could there be more to this?  Is something else in play? Moving Teddy? Getting Darnold as a place holder for another move?  It just seems odd.  Unless they just think Sam is such a better player than Sam. Or they just think Sam fits what they want to do much better than Teddy.
Sam is better than Sam.

In all seriousness, I think Sam is better than Teddy.  They're probably hoping Sam is like Tanny and just sucked under Gase with zero weapons, and can be good with better coaching/weapons.

Anyone who saw Bridgewater thus year knows he had a very un-Bridgewater year. Surprisingly inefficient; you didn't see the Teddy you saw as a Saint at all. There are times he legit held the offense back with mistakes/odd misses (Vikings game comes to mind) and I think Carolina wants to take a shot with a guy who has more upside.

Teddy hit his ceiling and couldn't really push through in 2020; to be fair he didn't have a camp and lost his top RB early. However, the way Mike Davis played that team should have been better.

I’m not a cap guy, but cutting Bridgewater looks to save 17 million on the cap. Is this true?
Not true. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Panthers will attempt to adjust Teddy Bridgewater's contract if its unable to move him via trade.

On the books for a $22.9 million cap hit this upcoming year, the team can either keep Bridgewater around as a backup for a restructured amount or save $2.9 million by cutting him altogether. With P.J. Walker, Will Grier, and Tommy Stevens still on the roster, the 28-year-old's most likely scenario is landing elsewhere before the draft. Although the Panthers soured on his performance down the stretch, Bridgewater remains competent enough to enter 2021 as a veteran option behind a developing quarterback.
If he doesn't redo his deal . . .

- $20 million in dead cap, $2.9M in cap savings if released before June 1
- $10 million in dead cap, $12.9M in cap savings if traded by June 1
- $15 million in dead cap 2021 and $5 million in 2022, $7.9M in cap savings if released after 6/1
- $5 million in dead cap 2021 and $5 million in 2022, $17.9M in cap savings if traded after 6/1.

Not true. 

If he doesn't redo his deal . . .

- $20 million in dead cap, $2.9M in cap savings if released before June 1
- $10 million in dead cap, $12.9M in cap savings if traded by June 1
- $15 million in dead cap 2021 and $5 million in 2022, $7.9M in cap savings if released after 6/1
- $5 million in dead cap 2021 and $5 million in 2022, $17.9M in cap savings if traded after 6/1.
Now you have to wonder what is Carolina doing? 

Great move for Carolina. That owner Tepper is running rings around the rest of the NFL, his time in Pittsburgh served him well. It's a good thing he is hands on and involved on every move, other owners are sipping red wine and smoking stogies while this guy just cannot stop putting his personal paw print on every player personnel move, thank goodness he arrived and got that Head Coach out of there, that guy didn't do much at his next stop, right? He didn't win the Division or nothing.

Not like he paid a 1st for Darnold or nothing, just a 6th...oh and a 4th...and a 2nd. They'll never feel it in Carolina.

Tepperware Party in full swing!

That said, last post...I actually like Darnold's chances better in Carolina where he has a solid OL and a super running game, decent receivers plus the Superback behind him who catches everything. 

Just saying there are worse teams for him to land on if he has even a shred of talent left from when he was a Top-5 pick. 

That said, last post...I actually like Darnold's chances better in Carolina where he has a solid OL and a super running game, decent receivers plus the Superback behind him who catches everything. 

Just saying there are worse teams for him to land on if he has even a shred of talent left from when he was a Top-5 pick. 
Ironically, he'll end up with a staff in Rhule and Brady that he could have had a few years ago had the Jets not told Rhule he couldn't hire his own assistants. 

The grass is always greener with this one it seems.  The guy who sucks we don't have is better than the guy we have and know sucks. 

I remember when Tannehill was left for dead as well. I’m sure everyone knew he was going to go to Tennessee and play lights out. Who was his coach in Miami, again? I, for one, will reserve judgement on Darnold until I see him outside of a Jets uniform. 

I remember when Tannehill was left for dead as well. I’m sure everyone knew he was going to go to Tennessee and play lights out. Who was his coach in Miami, again? I, for one, will reserve judgement on Darnold until I see him outside of a Jets uniform. 
More power to them if they can turn Darnold into an asset. They didn't have much luck working with Bridgewater. At this stage, who knows if Darnold is better, worse, or the same compared to Teddy B.

Sam Darnold trade: Who are the winners and losers?

Excerpt:

Winners

Sam Darnold: Is it too harsh to say he's the biggest winner because he gets away from the Jets? Well, it's true. Darnold never got a real chance at success in New York, considering he arrived during an exceptionally dysfunctional and unstable period. In his three seasons, the roster was among the worst in the league, and the coaching was substandard, particularly in the last two seasons when Adam Gase was in charge. Darnold also had an incredible amount of bad injury luck, missing time for, among other things, an injured shoulder and mononucleosis. Two head coaches and one general manager were fired during his three-year tenure. Now he gets to reset his career in Carolina, which will reportedly pick up his fifth-year option, signaling that the organization sees him as the starter. He will be coached by Matt Rhule and Joe Brady and will have better weapons in D.J. Moore, Christian McCaffrey and familiar face Robby Anderson. For Darnold, there won't be anymore excuses if the results don't pick up and if his tendency to throw maddening interceptions doesn't end, but for a quarterback with a career completion percentage under 60 percent, this is about as good a landing spot as one could hope for. Yes, three seasons is a pretty good sample size to make a judgment on a player, but important note: Darnold will be just 24 years old when the season starts.

Carolina Panthers: On paper, this is an incremental upgrade for the Panthers. But they didn't give up much -- second- and fourth-rounders in 2022 and a sixth-rounder this year -- for a quarterback who talent evaluators around the league feel still has significant upside that was untapped in New York. It was clear by the end of the season the Panthers did not view Teddy Bridgewater as the long-term answer, and with the eighth overall pick, the Panthers were out of range for the best of the quarterback draft class. The Panthers clearly believe their coaching can do more with Darnold than the Jets' did -- check Brady's work with Joe Burrow at LSU -- and have to be thinking of a Ryan Tannehill-like second act for Darnold.

Users who are viewing this thread