What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Sam Darnold, MIN (2 Viewers)

Following the NFL Combine, The MMQB's Albert Breer believes USC QB Sam Darnold has "work to do now to hold the top spot."

Breer lists a few reasons why. One, Darnold elected to not throw at the combine, while others did. Second, reviews of Darnold's "board work in Indy have come back mixed." Fourth, Breer states Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield "shone" last week in Indianapolis. This could also set up Darnold to cement his evaluation with a very strong pro day workout, since it is the only exposure teams will have to Darnold's on-field work.

Source: The MMQB 

Mar 8 - 10:31 AM

NFL media analyst Daniel Jeremiah ranks USC QB Sam Darnold as the top quarterback prospect of the last three years.

Darnold comes in just ahead of former North Dakota State/current Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz, with Jeremiah saying that Darnold's durability and level of competition giving him the slight edge. Darnold (6'3/221) had an inconsistent redshirt sophomore season, but it seems the flashes of brilliance he's shown over the last few years are just too tough to ignore for most analysts, including Jeremiah. It'd be a major upset if he didn't go in the first five picks.

Source: NFL.com

Mar 19 - 6:43 PM

NFL media analyst Daniel Jeremiah ranks USC QB Sam Darnold as the top quarterback prospect of the last three years.

Darnold comes in just ahead of former North Dakota State/current Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz, with Jeremiah saying that Darnold's durability and level of competition giving him the slight edge. Darnold (6'3/221) had an inconsistent redshirt sophomore season, but it seems the flashes of brilliance he's shown over the last few years are just too tough to ignore for most analysts, including Jeremiah. It'd be a major upset if he didn't go in the first five picks.

Source: NFL.com

Mar 19 - 6:43 PM
Browns are taking Darnold with the top pick.

I hate the fact that I guy I prayed for just one year ago, is now I guy I'm dreading my team takes.

Ugh. 
How you feeling now that Browns have a good chance of drafting him ?

Too bad the Browns were not given a real shot to get Garoppolo.  Could have traded a 2nd and 3rd for him instead of trading a 3rd for Taylor and then they could have used both #1 and #4 picks on position players.  Too bad NE was dead set on trading him to SF to likely secure Hoyer as a backup.  Who knows what the reason was why they only would deal with SF but wow what the Browns could have done if they got him and had those 2 picks.  2 studs or trading down with 1 of the picks.  What could have been.

Who knows what the reason was why they only would deal with SF but wow what the Browns could have done if they got him and had those 2 picks.  2 studs or trading down with 1 of the picks.  What could have been.
I’m pretty sure it’s because they didn’t want to trade him to an AFC team.

NDT Scouting's Jonah Tuls compares QB Sam Darnold to Los Angeles Chargers QB Philip Rivers.

Tuls has Darnold as No. 1 overall quarterback but acknowledges he is a polarizing prospect. Tuls explains, "He was able to show the most promise on tape from the quarterback position. Whether it was the arm talent to make plays at all three levels of the field, the ball placement to drop those passes in, the pocket presence and accuracy on the run, or his mobility inside and outside of the pocket, Darnold showed that he can be the real deal with continued development." Darnold is an elite prospect who seemed to be a lock to go No. 1 overall a few weeks ago but since then reports have suggested Josh Allen may be in the mix as well. It's unsure whether he will be selected at No. 1, but he should definitely be selected within the top five picks of the NFL draft.

Source: NDT Scouting 

Apr 15 - 6:15 PM

In a conversation with The MMQB's Peter King, Saints coach Sean Payton suggested USC QB Sam Darnold is the passer he is most comfortable with sticking in the NFL.

Payton opened by saying he would feel "uneasy" if he were selecting a quarterback at the top of the draft. "I wouldn’t be surprised if only one of these guys is left standing in four or five years, and if so, I’d guess it would be Sam Darnold." The interesting part of this conversation is the Saints are in the quarterback market. Maybe not in round one, but they've been poking around this group for sure. We appreciate Payton's honesty and to not hide behind anonymity.

Source: The MMQB 

Apr 16 - 9:21 AM

An anonymous NFL scout says "no situation is too big" for USC QB Sam Darnold.

In a poll of 14 personnel executives, Darnold ranked 1st and was largely complimented on his abilities and character traits. Speaking more to his character one scout said, "He’s a great kid. I think he’s a better locker-room guy" while another scout added, "I love the makeup and the character." Beyond being viewed as a good "locker-room guy" he is also a talented quarterback. The main concerns lie with him racking up 43 turnovers in 24 starts at USC. One scout said "The turnovers are a major concern" but believes they can be fixed. Darnold is currently the odds-on favorite to be selected No. 1 overall by the Cleveland Browns.

Source: Bob McGinn Football 

Apr 22 - 4:06 PM

USC QB Sam Darnold will be the youngest passer drafted in the first round since the NFL merger in 1970.

Darnold will turn 21 years old on June 5. Darnold likely won't start as a rookie if he goes to the Browns, but if he does he'll be the youngest to do so in week one. It adds fuel to the fire that Darnold has room for improvement. He also has played the position for that long.

Source: Graham Barfield on Twitter 

Apr 24 - 8:56 AM

Sorry, Jets fans. 

It was a bad season. But, since both my team and yours need some luck, I wish you all the best. 

@CSimmsQB tells @BullandFox he has Sam Darnold as his 5th best QB in this draft. Says NFL people he's talked to say he has least football knowledge (on a whiteboard) of the QBs in the top group, "that doesn't scream safe to me" #Browns

They better not screw it up and rush him into the starting lineup before he's ready.  They have McCown, they can afford to  exercise some patience.  This isn't a race.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23404650/sam-darnold-participates-first-minicamp-practice-new-york-jets 

... they haven't ruled Darnold out as their opening day starter.

Incumbent Josh McCown will go into training camp as the No. 1 quarterback, but that doesn't mean he's a lock.

Picked third overall, he faces enormous expectations as the Jets' highest-drafted quarterback since Joe Namath in 1965...
I thought the Browns would take him #1 and the biggest issue I saw with him that I feel will be a challenge for him is the fumbles.  I think he's going to be dealing with that in some form over his career so you'll just have to understand he is going to fumble but he has a lot of upside if they sit him and don't rush the kid.  

Last edited by a moderator:
He may throw more completions to the other team, if his career trajectory maintains itself.

But honestly, I think/hope he'll clean that up.

He had 21 turnovers in one college season - playing in the PAC12 no less, hardly a murders row of D there.  What do you think happens to him in the pros over a 16 game season?  30 turnovers?  35?  more?

He had 21 turnovers in one college season - playing in the PAC12 no less, hardly a murders row of D there.  What do you think happens to him in the pros over a 16 game season?  30 turnovers?  35?  more?
He is going to turn the ball over but he's not the sum of his worst attributes.  He's got some skills, he moves up in the pocket and keeps his eyes trained downfield, he looked like the best QB prospect throwing open receivers.  He moves well outside of the pocket.  He's not just some turnover machine.

The big issue facing him right now is keeping the Big Apple feeding frenzy at bay. 

He's only 20 with only two years and only a handful of college starts.

They have a capable veteran.    

Their isn't a good reason to rush him.

He is going to turn the ball over but he's not the sum of his worst attributes.  He's got some skills, he moves up in the pocket and keeps his eyes trained downfield, he looked like the best QB prospect throwing open receivers.  He moves well outside of the pocket.  He's not just some turnover machine.

The big issue facing him right now is keeping the Big Apple feeding frenzy at bay. 

He's only 20 with only two years and only a handful of college starts.

No, the big issues facing him are bad decision making, some really bad throws mixed in with the really good ones, his propensity to fumble so much, and a throwing motion that allows DBs to see his targeting and have more time to get there.

And no, he was not the best at throwing receivers open.  Not even close.

No, the big issues facing him are bad decision making, some really bad throws mixed in with the really good ones, his propensity to fumble so much, and a throwing motion that allows DBs to see his targeting and have more time to get there.

And no, he was not the best at throwing receivers open.  Not even close.
If he fails it will because of turnovers.

He's got the offense, WC Jeremy Bates OC with the perfect vet mentor in McCown.  It will take at least a year to master, see Goff.

He's got mechanical flaws that can be fixed.  What are we disagreeing on?    Ability to throw open WRs?  Yeah, we disagree on that one.

If he fails it will because of turnovers.

He's got the offense, WC Jeremy Bates OC with the perfect vet mentor in McCown.  It will take at least a year to master, see Goff.

He's got mechanical flaws that can be fixed.  What are we disagreeing on?    Ability to throw open WRs?  Yeah, we disagree on that one.

Oh, I believe we’re a bit further apart than that.  But all the back & forth in the world won’t resolve anything.  We’re going to have to see him play in the NFL.

Cold on this kid all season long, and held a glimmer of hope he'd ball out tonite...

This kid is going to be an ultimate bust in the NFL. I just feel it. 

You?
Great raw tools, USC’s terrible coaching makes the situation more murky where a good NFL coach may get him back on track. He presses way too much which i think could be a problem handling blitzes and better coverage schemes.

As a USC fan I was happy for him to leave as he had definitely regressed. Think he would have been much better served behind a starter for a few years but we should be seeing him in october. He is more elusive than a lot of people realized avoiding sacks, which he will need to rely on.

He has a career trajectory before his career even starts?
People never change, unless they do.

Like your former avatar.  FWIW see Chris Long's take on your former av.  Eagles' Chris Long is no fan of John Lennon, who he says was 'a bad guy'

Nothing is set in stone.    

Everlast - What Its Like

I've seen a rich man beg

I've seen a good man sin

I've seen a tough man cry

I've seen a loser win

And a sad man grin

I heard an honest man lie

I've seen the good side of bad

And the down side of up

And everything between...

People never change, unless they do.

Like your former avatar.  FWIW see Chris Long's take on your former av.  Eagles' Chris Long is no fan of John Lennon, who he says was 'a bad guy'

Nothing is set in stone.    

Everlast - What Its Like

I've seen a rich man beg

I've seen a good man sin

I've seen a tough man cry

I've seen a loser win

And a sad man grin

I heard an honest man lie

I've seen the good side of bad

And the down side of up

And everything between...
well I had Charlie Watts in between Lennon and Sam - no one could say Charlie was a bad guy.

Love how people form opinions about something that cannot truly be known for years, then staunchly hold onto them no matter what.

THIS is what will happen to Darnold in the NFL: He will be a Hall of Famer, or he will flame out like Ryan Leaf, or he will fall somewhere in between.

That's all anyone can say at this point.

Personally I think he has the talent to be a HoFer and the common sense not to be Leaf other than that there are so very many things that factor into his success that I simply have no idea where he will end up.

Love how people form opinions about something that cannot truly be known for years, then staunchly hold onto them no matter what.

THIS is what will happen to Darnold in the NFL: He will be a Hall of Famer, or he will flame out like Ryan Leaf, or he will fall somewhere in between.

That's all anyone can say at this point.

Personally I think he has the talent to be a HoFer and the common sense not to be Leaf other than that there are so very many things that factor into his success that I simply have no idea where he will end up.
Challenge accepted.

He will flame out like Jamarcus Russell.  Because, unfortunately, that is not in between Leaf and HOF :doh:

Challenge accepted.

He will flame out like Jamarcus Russell.  Because, unfortunately, that is not in between Leaf and HOF :doh:
Leaf was the original JaMarcus and, believe it or not, Leaf was significantly worse than Russell.

From what I have read Darnold has some problems with his throwing mechanics. I think this is something that is coachable and can be fixed. See Philip RIvers.

From watching him, he does not see the whole field. He missed multiple opportunities to check down to Ronald Jones that could have been big plays. He needs to be aware of where all his weapons are and take what the defense gives him.

He is only 20 years old. As long as the Jets don't break him by starting him too soon he can grow and improve on the things he doesn't do well right now. This may be a multi year process however learning how to minimize his mistakes and open up his field awareness. understanding defenses and improving his accuracy.

I have Josh Allen and Sam Darnold ranked much lower than the other 3 QB for fantasy and I do think these two have more risk of busting, but ultimately he is still a very young player who may learn and develop into a much better QB than we have seen from him in college.

Users who are viewing this thread