What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Sam Darnold, MIN (3 Viewers)

Whoo boy. 

Let me tell y’all a little story about a boy with Mono. 

It was 1992, and a young man was living in Holland, working on a farm. He came down with mononucleosis.  While most symptoms abated in 4 weeks, it took him 7-8 weeks to feel completely “normal”, with flu-like symptoms & weakness, headaches, chills, loss of appetite, and zero energy. The kid was in the best shape of his life,  but would get winded walking up a small flight of stairs. 

And that young man’s name, was Mitch Cumstein. 

Wait, no - kidding. It was me. And that was the short-term version of Mono. It can last up to 6 weeks, with full recovery in 10-12.  You lose a lot of weight, and getting your energy back is difficult. It’s a mentally draining disorder as it goes on so long it feels like “the new normal” - you forget what it’s like to feel normal, and that creates depression. 

RIP Jets. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Big issue here is weight loss.  He's apparently lost a lot already. 
It’s brutal. I was at 3-5% body fat (farm work does that to you) and dropped 15 lbs I couldn’t afford to lose. 

These days I go around licking hand rails hoping to get me some of that mono. 

Whoo boy. 

It was 1992, and a young man was living in Holland, working on a farm. He came down with mononucleosis.  While most symptoms abated in 4 weeks, it took him 7-8 weeks to feel completely “normal”, with flu-like symptoms & weakness, headaches, chills, loss of appetite, and zero energy. The kid was in the best shape of his life,  but would get winded walking up a small flight of stairs. 

Wait, no - kidding. It was me. And that was the short-term version of Mono. It can last up to 6 weeks, with full recovery in 10-12.  You lose a lot of weight, and getting your energy back is difficult. It’s a mentally draining disorder as it goes on so long it feels like “the new normal” - you forget what it’s like to feel normal, and that creates depression. 

RIP Jets. 
I had mono in 2006 when I was a college senior, and was back to normal in a week or so. Was really weak at the start, pretty much 2-3 days in bed, only getting up to use the bathroom and eat, but felt better by day 5. Maybe your experience was worse because of your low body fat. I’d guess I was 15% or so.

How does this affect the Jets' WRs?

And is Siemian startable in 2QB leagues??
Anyone not named Nate Peterman is startable in 2QB leagues.

Downgrade for everyone on the offense, Anderson probably gets hit harder than others. I'd still play Crowder and Bell (if he plays) in PPR, but I'd play McLovin from WAS over Anderson this week.

I had mono in 2006 when I was a college senior, and was back to normal in a week or so. Was really weak at the start, pretty much 2-3 days in bed, only getting up to use the bathroom and eat, but felt better by day 5. Maybe your experience was worse because of your low body fat. I’d guess I was 15% or so.
There are different time-frames for different strains. A week is really fast. 

Usually its a minimum of 2 weeks to shake  it.

But there’s an extended recovery. 

Feeling better & playing football are very different things. 

I went back to work in 4 weeks, but I felt exhausted all the time for another month. Spot headaches, low appetite & my digestion was all jacked up. 

I laughed at that last sentence. Literally all Darnold did last game was dink and dunk. There’s a reason why Crowder had that bizarre stat line. 

Anderson needs to get out of New York for a chance to ever breakout as a deep threat WR. 

What I can't believe is that Trevor Siemian and Case Keenum are starting games in the NFL. Only need Brock and Chad Kelly to get the call up and all of Elway's nightmares come true.

Since Darnhold was all dink and dunk last week - Trevor should step in nicely.

Any chance D. Thomas was infected with Mono when Bill shipped him to the Jets?  :lmao:
Holy. ####. 😳

I-I can’t say I would be shocked to learn this is true,  and that’s kind of blowing my mind. 

Like settlers giving plague-blankets to native Americans. NFL’s own biological warfare. 

I believe you’ve cracked the case. 

Guys ... he doesn't have mono

His mono = ####ty play and an excuse to bench him to buy him more time.

They did this all last year to cover up his ####ty play. 

This was as unpredictable as things come in the NFL.  Don't just say "they always find a way to lose guy" like this could be predicted. 
I have, for all the rankings, absolutely no Jets on any of my important fantasy teams. None. Zero. Zilch. Darnold isn't that great, Bell isn't that great, and Gase was a complete flame out in Miami. We have three or four (three or four!) 2nd-5th round picks from the past few years still on our roster. Come to our thread. You'll find out people that are distinct homers thought at best we were an 8-8 or 7-9 team. And that's us optimistic ones.

We stink. No it wasn't unpredictable. Stop with the nonsense.

We have a good GM now. That's about it.

Whoo boy. 

RIP Jets. 
The story of how you acquired mono should be included here.

I'll link you to my teams on Yahoo! if you'd like (okay, I won't, it's a bloviation). But there's nary a Jet, never was a Jet. Never was a consideration. Besides Crowder in Summerpalooza in the eleventh round or twelfth. That's it. 

The story of how you acquired mono should be included here.
No idea. Was working in greenhouses & on farms. Had a Dutch g/f (6’-er...I had to climb her like my own personal Everest) but she didn’t have or contract it from me...

I wish I had a good sexytime story, but alas - just woke up feeling like ####, couldn’t shake it, went to the doctor & got the diagnosis. And it suuuuuucked 

I have, for all the rankings, absolutely no Jets on any of my important fantasy teams. None. Zero. Zilch. Darnold isn't that great, Bell isn't that great, and Gase was a complete flame out in Miami. We have three or four (three or four!) 2nd-5th round picks from the past few years still on our roster. Come to our thread. You'll find out people that are distinct homers thought at best we were an 8-8 or 7-9 team. And that's us optimistic ones.

We stink. No it wasn't unpredictable. Stop with the nonsense.

We have a good GM now. That's about it.
The sickness was unpredictable.  If you avoided Jets because they suck, that's fine and understandable.

The sickness was unpredictable.  If you avoided Jets because they suck, that's fine and understandable.
Oh, yeah, if I lamented in a sort of "we're cursed" way, I mean, I meant it, but that did not factor into preseason determinations of fantasy value or team competence. I did indeed, upon remembering during my rant, take Crowder in a PPR in the eleventh or twelfth, only to cut him because of short benches.

I'll link you to my teams on Yahoo! if you'd like (okay, I won't, it's a bloviation). But there's nary a Jet, never was a Jet. Never was a consideration. Besides Crowder in Summerpalooza in the eleventh round or twelfth. That's it. 
I believe you that you have no Jets.  Considering only 2 or 3 Jets were drafted in most standard 16 round leagues, the majority of owners don't own any Jets either.  Not really groundbreaking stuff.

Holy. ####. 😳

I-I can’t say I would be shocked to learn this is true,  and that’s kind of blowing my mind. 

Like settlers giving plague-blankets to native Americans. NFL’s own biological warfare. 

I believe you’ve cracked the case. 
Was clearly kidding and there's obviously zero truth to it, but just the idea of Bill thinking this up is humorous :P

I believe you that you have no Jets.  Considering only 2 or 3 Jets were drafted in most standard 16 round leagues, the majority of owners don't own any Jets either.  Not really groundbreaking stuff.
No, you're right. But Anderson and Bell were climbing as vogue picks. Still, a lot of people took the tactic that I did and stayed away. I consider that prudent right now. It wasn't groundbreaking, though, and my tone sounds off here.

I'm more lamenting in a chagrined way as a Jets fan. Hope that comes through rather than being caustic. 

Was clearly kidding and there's obviously zero truth to it, but just the idea of Bill thinking this up is humorous :P
Here’s the thing. I knew it was an obvious joke. 

But after reading it I actually had to pause for a second, because while I don’t think the Patriots would do something like that, I’m also not positive that they wouldn’t do something like that. 

:lol:  

Here’s the thing. I knew it was an obvious joke. 

But after reading it I actually had to pause for a second, because while I don’t think the Patriots would do something like that, I’m also not positive that they wouldn’t do something like that. 

:lol:  
I paused, too. The hoodie is so maniacally ahead of everything you never know. 

Now they’re saying 3-7 weeks. OUCH. 

kinda as I’d guessed. Mono kicks the crap out of you, and with the enlarged organs it’s very risky to play a contact sport. The spleen is the biggest concern IIRC

man - 2 mo’s without your starting QB. Jets gonna Jets, as someone said. 

Now they’re saying 3-7 weeks. OUCH. 

kinda as I’d guessed. Mono kicks the crap out of you, and with the enlarged organs it’s very risky to play a contact sport. The spleen is the biggest concern IIRC

man - 2 mo’s without your starting QB. Jets gonna Jets, as someone said. 
It’s not just when he’s biologically able (organs normal size)...but it screws with your energy levels to varying degrees thereafter.  Even when he’s back, I suspect he won’t be 100% and the team will have to manage his practice week workloads.

It’s not just when he’s biologically able (organs normal size)...but it screws with your energy levels to varying degrees thereafter.  Even when he’s back, I suspect he won’t be 100% and the team will have to manage his practice week workloads.
Yep - when I said it hurt me for 8 weeks people questioned it. 

I was early 20s in the best shape of my life & would get winded walking up a short flight of stairs. 

Fox Sports' Jay Glazer reports Sam Darnold (mono) hasn't lost a lot of weight and the Jets are hopeful Darnold makes a return after their Week 4 bye.

Team doctors are giving Darnold 21 days to recover, but his health is reportedly already improving just days after his diagnosis. However, the virus has a tricky, inconsistent timetable, so this Week 5 return can't fully be counted on just yet. In the meantime, Trevor Siemian will start and primarily focus on giving Le'Veon Bell the rock.

SOURCE: Jay Glazer on Twitter

Sep 15, 2019, 12:24 PM ET

Sam Darnold (mono) is targeting a Week 5 return.

Darnold made the disclosure in a Tuesday radio interview. He also said he has yet to resume throwing a football. It's great news for the Jets, though Gang Green will almost certainly be sitting at 0-4 following Luke Falk starts against the Patriots and Eagles. Darnold isn't going to be saving the season. Week 5 would have Darnold squaring off with the Cowboys' stout defense.

SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter

Sep 17, 2019, 5:45 PM ET

Sam Darnold (mono) said he has "full confidence" he'll be ready for New York's Week 5 matchup against the Eagles.

"I'm not going to promise anything because I don't know exactly where this mono thing is going, but that's the goal that the doctors and I have set," Darnold said on his Week 5 target date. Early-season bye weeks are typically arbitrary for recovery, but Week 4 can't come soon enough so that the Jets can take a break and allow Darnold to heal without missing anymore regular season action. Unfortunately, it's hard to imagine both Jamison Crowder and Robby Anderson offering much production until New York's hitting on all cylinders against Philadelphia.

SOURCE: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter

Sep 18, 2019, 4:51 PM ET

This is what nfl players have turned into, lolololol. Missing many games because of mono, lol
I mean so what if a hit to an enlarged spleen could kill him, right? Guy’s a wuss for not going out there and being a real man and playing.

I mean so what if a hit to an enlarged spleen could kill him, right? Guy’s a wuss for not going out there and being a real man and playing.
I had mono in college. My liver enzymes were through the roof and I had jaundice. I couldn't leave the couch for 2 weeks and drank at least 3 gallons of water each day. Couldn't eat. Couldn't walk up stairs to shower without having to take a break because i was so tired. It's not just about the enlarged spleen, but it will physically be so draining that walking across the room is like running a marathon. 

You = dullard.
As soon as this BS news came out I said he would be back immediately after the bye week ...

What do you know? despite the unpredictable nature of mono  he right on track to return after the bye week ... in other words this was coordinated 

As soon as this BS news came out I said he would be back immediately after the bye week ...

What do you know? despite the unpredictable nature of mono  he right on track to return after the bye week ... in other words this was coordinated 
After one week?

He looked great during the last four weeks of last season and this preseason but they made up that he had mono just to sit him in Week 2 in a winnable game for Trevor Siemian. If you truly believe this you have some issues.

He's the one claiming he'll be ready by Week 5, so we'll see. If he is, he is. You have zero credibility on this.

Users who are viewing this thread