What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What an ugly Super Bowl (1 Viewer)

RokNRole

Footballguy
I was starting to feel a glimmer of hope for the league with 2 good teams worthy of rooting for having a shot at their first SB trophy. 

But we get 2005 part deux. 

Dont even feel like watching this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was starting to feel a glimmer of hope for the league with 2 good teams worthy of rooting for having a shot at their first SB trophy. 

This is an interesting matchup. 

The worst was the Ravens v Giants in 2001. Kerry Collins v Trent Dilfer

#2 response

There is a lot more to the game besides quarterbacks, but realistically who could have beat that defense?

49ers 55 Broncos 10 was pretty boring, Cowboys 52 over Bills 17 was pretty bad as well.  Honestly, to me, I think one of the worst things was the Bears over the Pats only because I couldn't believe Ditka failed to let Walter Payton score a TD in that one.  I'm sure it was an oversight but I felt bad for Walter because the poor guy busted his ### for so many crappy Bears teams, I just wanted to see him score that day and I think he was disappointed as well.

49ers 55 Broncos 10 was pretty boring, Cowboys 52 over Bills 17 was pretty bad as well.  Honestly, to me, I think one of the worst things was the Bears over the Pats only because I couldn't believe Ditka failed to let Walter Payton score a TD in that one.  I'm sure it was an oversight but I felt bad for Walter because the poor guy busted his ### for so many crappy Bears teams, I just wanted to see him score that day and I think he was disappointed as well.
I didn’t say it was the worst ever.

It just sucks now.

He tried.

I didn’t say it was the worst ever.

It just sucks now.
Right, right, I was just kind of thinking out loud about all the crappy Superbowls I've watched. . . that 49ers vs Dolphins Superbowl was kind of a blowout too.  I think the thing that was disappointing about that one is that Marino never got into another one.  You felt like "well this guy will be back" but it never happened.

It’s like the game to decide the biggest jerks in football. A clash of two villains.

On one side you have the Pats. Perennial cheaters with a coach that looks like a blobfish from a spite ocean.

And after all that the only other option is Philly.

Its like choosing between someone puking on you or farting in your mouth.

They are habitual line steppers. My hatred for the Patriots is high (Bills fan), but the things they did, I never considered "cheating". I wish the Bills went to the edge of the rules like that. 
Spying on opponet's practices is pretty huge.  Deflating footballs is shtick, although cheating shtick. 

So the ‘17 was -10% in ratings right?...I’d typically think based on matchup this SB is easily up...we’ll see.

They are habitual line steppers. My hatred for the Patriots is high (Bills fan), but the things they did, I never considered "cheating". I wish the Bills went to the edge of the rules like that. 
Filming another teams practice may not be in the rulebook but it’s very much cheating according to the rules of honorable sportsmanship.

Tampering with game balls may be worse and also likely blatantly against the rules.

So the ‘17 was -10% in ratings right?...I’d typically think based on matchup this SB is easily up...we’ll see.
How could that be possible? It’s the Pats, again.

And on top of all that the only other option is Philly.

Filming another teams practice may not be in the rulebook but it’s very much cheating according to the rules of honorable sportsmanship.

Tampering with game balls may be worse and also likely blatantly against the rules.
Seriously? You don't think EVERYONE in the league wasn't taping other teams practices. And if they weren't, they should have. And the game ball thing is such bull... Brady has been just as successful after deflategate. I want a coach that wants to push the edge of the rules. I would love the Bills being hated for winning cuz they pushed the edge of the rules. 

Seriously? You don't think EVERYONE in the league wasn't taping other teams practices. And if they weren't, they should have. And the game ball thing is such bull... Brady has been just as successful after deflategate. I want a coach that wants to push the edge of the rules. I would love the Bills being hated for winning cuz they pushed the edge of the rules. 
Yeah........really

Where I come from pushing the rules is cheating.

At the least it’s admitting you didn’t think you could get it done before the game and had to weasel out any edge you could. 

Winning while exploiting loopholes is worse than losing the game honestly.

It’s probably because you have dee’s dimples in your orbicularis orisii.

#2 response

There is a lot more to the game besides quarterbacks, but realistically who could have beat that defense?
Just pointing out the lack of star power. Beyond that it was a matchup between two of the most boring teams in the history of the world. The only thing I think that would be worse is Cleveland vs NY Jets

Yeah........really

Where I come from pushing the rules is cheating.

At the least it’s admitting you didn’t think you could get it done before the game and had to weasel out any edge you could. 

Winning while exploiting loopholes is worse than losing the game honestly.
You sound like a nerd who didn't play any organized sports in your entire life. 

Just to nit pick a touch, Spygate was not about filming practices.  The Patriots were punished because they filmed in game.  Filming in game is legal but not when the camera is on the opponents side of the field.  That is what they got punished for.  They got punished for the Jets game where they got caught but they almost certainly did it quite often before they got caught.

There were allegations of taping practices by the Boston Herald but once the investigation was complete, the Herald had to release a retraction.

Here is the short apology the Herald published once they found out their source was incorrect.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2008/05/apology

Just to nit pick a touch, Spygate was not about filming practices.  The Patriots were punished because they filmed in game.  Filming in game is legal but not when the camera is on the opponents side of the field.  That is what they got punished for.  They got punished for the Jets game where they got caught but they almost certainly did it quite often before they got caught.

There were allegations of taping practices by the Boston Herald but once the investigation was complete, the Herald had to release a retraction.

Here is the short apology the Herald published once they found out their source was incorrect.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2008/05/apology
Habitual line steppers. I want the leader of my team to want to push the edges of what is allowed to make sure a winner is produced. I've dealt with the Pats being so good for so long that I want what they have. Especially seeing them crush the Bills So. Many. Times. 

https://youtu.be/l9yQq4NxyOE

Why is everyone on such a downer for Super Bowl LII?  I said it before and I'll say it again: This thing's going to double-overtime with both teams scoring at least 24 points apiece.  I may be the only one saying this, but if I recall the history of the NFL, the greatest game ever played was when the Baltimore Colts beat the New York Giants in overtime of the 1958 NFL Championship thanks to Alan Ameche.  This year, the Super Bowl has a chance to surpass it as The TRULY greatest game ever played!

I don't understand why everyone is so bummed about seeing the rematch of Super Bowl XXXIX.  I, for one, am not!  And the reason why is because I guarantee this game is going into double overtime.  With both the Eagles and the Patriots scoring at least 24 points apiece!  I'm an NFL and NBA historian, and I can say this for sure that some of the greatest finishes in both the NFL and the NBA have ended in overtime.  Take Super Bowl LI with the first overtime EVER!  As a matter of fact, the greatest game in NFL history ended in overtime way back in 1958.  And the greatest game in NBA history ended in triple-overtime as the Celtics beat the Suns in Game 5 of the 1976 NBA Finals.  Why am I the only one that's excited for this game?!

I went to that game in Tampa, Giant's fan. What a ####ty experience...great b/c i was at a SB, but oh man what a ####show by the Giants.

Its funny b/c i remember the Giants whipping up on Minn the game before and I was thinking they were unstoppable only to go out and lay and egg when it mattered. Last night, i was having flashbacks of the that same game. 

Kinda feels like the Eagles might not be getting enough love in this SB. The current line is Pats by 5.5 with an over/under of 48.  This implies a final score of approximately 26.75-21.25 (27-21) in favor of the Pats.   While I do feel the Pats are probably going to win--looking at what the Eagles have done so far in the post season--I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Eagles won.  The hottest team coming into the playoffs was probably the Falcons--and the Eagles held them to 10pts.  The Vikings came into the Eagles game carrying tons of momentum--scored easily on the first drive--and then the Eagles score 38 straight (and held the Vikings to the 7pts).  Their defense is sound, they have solid WR's and Te's, they have plenty of talent at the RB position--and Foles is playing well.   As far as I see it--as long as Foles plays decently well in the SB--we should have a very solid game.   If Foles plays super well--I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Eagles win this thing--as they are arguably the better team outside of the QB position.  Maybe it's not the dream matchup it would have been had Wentz been healthy--but I'm still looking forward to watching.  

Any SB with NE in it is interesting due to the dynasty.  I'm not a NE fan at all but in 15-20 years we'll look back at how incredible it was to witness.  With the salary cap what they have done is close to impossible.

They have been a part of some incredibly exciting SB games.

Kinda feels like the Eagles might not be getting enough love in this SB. The current line is Pats by 5.5 with an over/under of 48.  This implies a final score of approximately 26.75-21.25 (27-21) in favor of the Pats.   While I do feel the Pats are probably going to win--looking at what the Eagles have done so far in the post season--I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Eagles won.  The hottest team coming into the playoffs was probably the Falcons--and the Eagles held them to 10pts.  The Vikings came into the Eagles game carrying tons of momentum--scored easily on the first drive--and then the Eagles score 38 straight (and held the Vikings to the 7pts).  Their defense is sound, they have solid WR's and Te's, they have plenty of talent at the RB position--and Foles is playing well.   As far as I see it--as long as Foles plays decently well in the SB--we should have a very solid game.   If Foles plays super well--I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Eagles win this thing--as they are arguably the better team outside of the QB position.  Maybe it's not the dream matchup it would have been had Wentz been healthy--but I'm still looking forward to watching.  

The 5.5 line tells me Vegas doesn’t know what to do with this game. 

Users who are viewing this thread