What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2018 Dallas Cowboys*** (4 Viewers)

Which tight end is running with the ones at this point?
Swaim and Jarwin.  They will both make the team and split duties.  The question is if they can fit 4 on the 53, they can't, and will they cut Rico or the rookie.

If they don't keep 4 I'm guessing they will keep the rookie and let the developmental project in Rico go, sure to be picked up by another NFC East team that will turn him into the next Gronkowski.  

That's another argument against Witten.  If Witten was still here I guess they don't use the draft pick on Shultz and still loose Rico.

ETA: An interesting note I stumbled across about yesterdays game:

It should be noted that the Cowboys opened [the game] in a three tight end set. Rico Gathers was not among them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is beat up?  Besides the unknown with Frederick everyone else is slated to start week 1.  You're executing poorly comment makes no sense, they didn't play yesterday, and every time they've been on the field early in weeks 1 and 2 they dominated. 
You come across as one of those fans who puts in a lot of analysis time.....still gotta take off the rose colored homer glasses though.

Frederick is a HUGE loss.  Martin has a bone bruise.  Tyron Smith, while not currently hurt, has had back issues the last couple seasons.....big picture is the line has been a strength, and so far, they're looking like they won't be as good going into the regular season.....maybe I'm completely wrong, but I don't feel very good about the offense goin into week one.

dhockster said:
And with the way Foles is playing, The Cowboys D looks like they could smoke the Eagles O. I predict the Eagles win 7-0 because Darren Sproles returns a punt for a touchdown in the 4th quarter. That's because I am an Eagles fan. If I were a Cowboys fan, I would predict the Cowboys win 7-0 as Lawrence returns a strip sack for a touchdown.
Foles did look like hot garbage the other day......but he's still the reigning SB MVP, and even if he stinks, when Wentz is cleared the eagles should win the east rather easily......the defense looks dirty.

Foles did look like hot garbage the other day......but he's still the reigning SB MVP, and even if he stinks, when Wentz is cleared the eagles should win the east rather easily......the defense looks dirty.
The Tony Romo years took a lot out of all of us, GB.  :suds:

Manster said:
You come across as one of those fans who puts in a lot of analysis time.....still gotta take off the rose colored homer glasses though.

Frederick is a HUGE loss.  Martin has a bone bruise.  Tyron Smith, while not currently hurt, has had back issues the last couple seasons.....big picture is the line has been a strength, and so far, they're looking like they won't be as good going into the regular season.....maybe I'm completely wrong, but I don't feel very good about the offense goin into week one.
Frederick is huge, but, Looney is serviceable. 

Martin's bruise is nothing. 

Tryon is as healthy coming into this year as he has ever been. 

We're just fine until the next injury.  None of the other backups are trustworthy. 

Frederick is huge, but, Looney is serviceable. 

Martin's bruise is nothing. 

Tryon is as healthy coming into this year as he has ever been. 

We're just fine until the next injury.  None of the other backups are trustworthy. 
I agree. Without Frederick the Cowboys still have 2 of the top players at their position in Smith and The President (Martin). Down the line you have Williams drafted in the second and Collins who was by all accounts a first rounder.

I agree. Without Frederick the Cowboys still have 2 of the top players at their position in Smith and The President (Martin). Down the line you have Williams drafted in the second and Collins who was by all accounts a first rounder.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Collins make the pro bowl this year. It's in his future. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Collins make the pro bowl this year. It's in his future. 
Lane Johnson

Daryl Williams

Demar Dotson

Ryan Ramczyk

Rick Wagner

Johnson won't attend the Pro Bowl as he'll be playing in the Superbowl again, but there is still a large hurdle for Collins at the RT position.

Is the consensus that Rod Smith is the backup to Zeke or does Bo Scarborough have a shot?

It's probably a time share either way if Zeke goes down but first guy off the bench still has value behind that line.

Lane Johnson

Daryl Williams

Demar Dotson

Ryan Ramczyk

Rick Wagner

Johnson won't attend the Pro Bowl as he'll be playing in the Superbowl again, but there is still a large hurdle for Collins at the RT position.
 It’s like an alarm goes off for eagles fans whenever somebody post something that might infringe upon their “greatness”. :lmao:

Settle down,  the Eagles are not going to the Super Bowl this year. 

Is the consensus that Rod Smith is the backup to Zeke or does Bo Scarborough have a shot?

It's probably a time share either way if Zeke goes down but first guy off the bench still has value behind that line.
Rod Smith Is absolutely the back up. Scarborough and Jackson are fighting for the last one or two remaining spots at running back.

They really like Jackson and regret letting him go to years ago but he landed back in their lap after an injury. 

Hard to say what they will do, maybe they try to sneak one of the two between Jackson and Scarborough on the practice squad. 

It’s like an alarm goes off for eagles fans whenever somebody post something that might infringe upon their “greatness”. :lmao:

Settle down,  the Eagles are not going to the Super Bowl this year. 
as an objective observer, I would say there is a better chance the Eagles make the SB than the Cowboys make the playoffs :bowtie:

tonydead said:
What's your suggestion for them?  Let's not pretend Dak wasn't a back up for the previous Dallas QB.  You have no idea if Rush or White could win 13 games or not if thrown into the starting role.  They have probably about the same chance as Dak did, or Foles winning the superbowl, or any other backup around the league.  

You can complain about the backup QB if you want, but, the facts are that there aren't 32 starting caliber quarterbacks in the league, let alone 64.  Are you saying you want them to spend higher round draft pics on a back-up when Dak is 25 years old?  Should they have drafted Tony's replacement instead of Zeke?  Who is on the street right now you want them to sign over White?
Suggestion would of been to do better diligence in effort for a better back up.... We have a very young QB , who shows poise , but still could benefit from a serviceable vet.... which Rush and White are not....  there is a huge difference in comparing Dak in college/pre-starter with Rush or White , his success is less surprising than if either came in and won 13 games.  Nothing I said states they should have burnt a higher draft pick on a QB ...... and since you're being a sensationalist with your remarks .... give me Romo back over Rush.

as an objective observer, I would say there is a better chance the Eagles make the SB than the Cowboys make the playoffs :bowtie:
I hate the eagles.

But I'd prolly agree with this.....I just don't think Dallas has enough.....it's gotten better in recent years, but always a few pieces short.....still looking for a safety and our passing game is scaring no one at this point.

Dak would have to play out of his mind, and Tony Romo he is not.

The eagles on the other hand, as much as I hate to admit it, are set to make another run......Wentz, O line, defense....if it comes together for them this season they will be tough to beat.

Suggestion would of been to do better diligence in effort for a better back up.... We have a very young QB , who shows poise , but still could benefit from a serviceable vet.... which Rush and White are not....  there is a huge difference in comparing Dak in college/pre-starter with Rush or White , his success is less surprising than if either came in and won 13 games.  Nothing I said states they should have burnt a higher draft pick on a QB ...... and since you're being a sensationalist with your remarks .... give me Romo back over Rush.
Ok, which serviceable vet is available that gets you excited?

:lol:

ETA:  I'll take that bet.

Eagles SB and Cowboys miss playoffs - you win

Eagles no SB and Cowboys playoffs - I win

All others push

Mo I can't get behind you on this one, as much as I'd like to.  Odds of making a SB are tough... too many things can happen and even if you're the best team, it's hard to get there.  Stars need to align like they did last year for us. 

I think both scenarios are under 50% though.  We have as good of a chance as any to make the SB, but it's just a much harder road to get there than making the playoffs.

Mo I can't get behind you on this one, as much as I'd like to.  Odds of making a SB are tough... too many things can happen and even if you're the best team, it's hard to get there.  Stars need to align like they did last year for us. 

I think both scenarios are under 50% though.  We have as good of a chance as any to make the SB, but it's just a much harder road to get there than making the playoffs.
agreed, but both I think are below 50% so my guess is it will be a push.

Ok, which serviceable vet is available that gets you excited?
Prior to this season , that's not something I could answer...and it's not about who is available now , it's about who they could of had as other options...... going into this season with these two as options is negligence by the front office. 

Prior to this season , that's not something I could answer...and it's not about who is available now , it's about who they could of had as other options...... going into this season with these two as options is negligence by the front office. 
So you wanted them to sign a serviceable vet but have no idea which "serviceable" vet, if any, was available.   :lmao:

Would you like me to list the QBs that were available this off season to see if any of them gets you excited?

So you wanted them to sign a serviceable vet but have no idea which "serviceable" vet, if any, was available.   :lmao:

Would you like me to list the QBs that were available this off season to see if any of them gets you excited?
It's remarkable how you try to spin things ....... no "fan" knows what QB or any player they had a legit shot or conversations about signing. There are rumors and lists all over the place , but who they could of signed and did not is on the organization.

It's remarkable how you try to spin things ....... no "fan" knows what QB or any player they had a legit shot or conversations about signing. There are rumors and lists all over the place , but who they could of signed and did not is on the organization.
I know a lot players they have targeted, have a shot at, and have tried to sign.  You not being able to name ONE serviceable back up proves my point - there aren't any, if there were they would be on a team because most teams are in the exact same situation as we are if our starting QB goes down.  Your argument is mute.

I know a lot players they have targeted, have a shot at, and have tried to sign.  You not being able to name ONE serviceable back up proves my point - there aren't any, if there were they would be on a team because most team are in the exact same situation as we are if our starting QB goes down.  Your argument is mute.
no , you actually don't. Enjoy your day.

Actually I do, for example Earl Thomas.  On the phone during the draft Seattle offered him up for our second round pick.  Seattle had a player they wanted with our pick.  Conner was on the board and we declined.  We called Seattle back with our 3rd round pick and they declined.  To this day we are waiting for Seattle to offer up something less than a second round pick.  We'd probably give our second round pick next year now that Woods is injured.  Seattle is being silent and trying to force Earl to play.  This is an example of a player we had/have a shot at to address a need.

What do we know about serviceable back-up QBs that Dallas might be interested in?  Nothing, because there aren't any.

ETA: Now I think about it Seattle probably wanted to draft Conner.  We had a first round grade on him, they probably did too.  Seattle has always wanted a first round pick for Earl.  They wont take next years second.

OL is really similar to QB in the fact that there aren't enough Pro level players to fill out 32 starting rosters.  When you find one you do everything you can to get them.  That's why Seattle was willing to deal a pro bowler to get one.  Teams without a starting QB are willing to sell their soles to trade for a top draft pick that has zero guarantee.  Any "serviceable" back up is already on a team.  That's why there aren't any and why you can't name one that was or is available. 

If you said something smart like "trade for Teddy Bridgewater" then we could have a discussion.   The Jets could work out the starter/backup with McCown/Darnald, they don't absolutely need Teddy.  What are you willing to trade for him?  In the end the Jets are going to keep 3 quarterbacks because backups that are "serviceable" are that valuable.  

:lol:

ETA:  I'll take that bet.

Eagles SB and Cowboys miss playoffs - you win

Eagles no SB and Cowboys playoffs - I win

All others push
I'd be all over that, as well. The NFC is a meat grinder & the Eagles, while an outstanding team, don't have the talent it takes to be a dynasty. The NFL is set up so it makes it tough to repeat which is a good thing. The salary cap, alone, is an obstacle & you have to stay on top of it. Draft order is another obstacle.

The Cowboys are finally at a point they have something really good going on (despite The Clapper as HC). Lots of talent & a talent producing machine with Will McClay running personnel, but we might be a season away. Not sure about the playoffs. We'll see. The extra good news is we'll have a bunch of money freed up next year. That's when I expect us to make a big leap.

Kadeem Edwards played 53 snaps Sunday night, 30 in pass protection and didn’t give up a single quarterback pressure to the Cardinals defensive front.
I hadn't thought Edwards looked very good, but, he might be the 8th OL after Looney and Fleming.  Chaz Green finally getting cut.

Here's to hoping Fleming and Edwards never see the field.   :banned:

Looney looked pretty good the other night in place of Frederick. With Marcus Martin's injury, Edwards has been a real find. 

We might actually have some capable backups this season.

I'd be all over that, as well. The NFC is a meat grinder & the Eagles, while an outstanding team, don't have the talent it takes to be a dynasty. The NFL is set up so it makes it tough to repeat which is a good thing. The salary cap, alone, is an obstacle & you have to stay on top of it. Draft order is another obstacle.

The Cowboys are finally at a point they have something really good going on (despite The Clapper as HC). Lots of talent & a talent producing machine with Will McClay running personnel, but we might be a season away. Not sure about the playoffs. We'll see. The extra good news is we'll have a bunch of money freed up next year. That's when I expect us to make a big leap.
To a large extent next year depends on what we do this year.  I'm not a salary cap expert, but, if we (they, Dak and Jason) have a good year we will have to start working on Dak, Zeke and Lawrence contracts. 

To a large extent next year depends on what we do this year.  I'm not a salary cap expert, but, if we (they, Dak and Jason) have a good year we will have to start working on Dak, Zeke and Lawrence contracts. 
Yeah, you've got to make good fiscal decisions. I'm a firm believer in not breaking the bank for a RB (or drafting one high for that matter).

There's simply too much talent at RB to take up a lot of cap space at the position, especially with a good OL paving the way.

I'll be interested to see what we do with Zeke when the time comes.

I forgot they had another preseason game to play.   Some OL signed today to get them through that, still think they will look for an upgrade at C/G after Sept 1.

Cowboys signed free agent offensive tackle Matthew Diaz and guard Kyle Bosch to the 90-man roster.To make room, the team waived wide receiver Ricky Jeune and center Dustin Stanton, who injured his knee in Sunday’s 27-3 preseason loss to the Cardinals.Diaz went undrafted out of Wagner and originally went to training camp with the Titans. Bosch, an undrafted rookie out of West Virginia, was recently cut by the Panthers.

Zero to worry about Zack:

No brace. No protective sleeve. Not even a wrap on the knee that was injured getting reps at practice today.

“It felt great. Like I’ve said, I really didn’t want to go an extended time without being out there,” Martin said on Tuesday after practice. “It’s such a routine with training camp and if you’re out a certain amount of time, you can lose it pretty quickly. I wanted to get out there and get the reps and make sure I stay sharp for the opener.”

Maliek Collins took some first team reps in practice Tuesday.

Zack even took some reps in center, in case of emergency, since we currently don't have a viable backup to the backup.

OL is really similar to QB in the fact that there aren't enough Pro level players to fill out 32 starting rosters.  When you find one you do everything you can to get them.  That's why Seattle was willing to deal a pro bowler to get one.  Teams without a starting QB are willing to sell their soles to trade for a top draft pick that has zero guarantee.  Any "serviceable" back up is already on a team.  That's why there aren't any and why you can't name one that was or is available. 

If you said something smart like "trade for Teddy Bridgewater" then we could have a discussion.   The Jets could work out the starter/backup with McCown/Darnald, they don't absolutely need Teddy.  What are you willing to trade for him?  In the end the Jets are going to keep 3 quarterbacks because backups that are "serviceable" are that valuable.  
Now you can be pissed if you find out the Cowboys weren't in the mix along with the Saints.  See how I did that?   

NFL Update

@MySportsUpdate

·

40m

Updated trade details: The

#Cowboys

are getting OG Parker Ehinger from the

#Chiefs

in exchange for CB Charvarius Ward. Ehinger was a 4th round pick in 2016 by KC.

ETA - Ward is an UDFA

Once Frederick and Irving are back the Cowboys will have the best offensive and defensive line in all of football and every single one of them will be 27 years old or younger. 

NFL Update

@MySportsUpdate

·

40m

Updated trade details: The

#Cowboys

are getting OG Parker Ehinger from the

#Chiefs

in exchange for CB Charvarius Ward. Ehinger was a 4th round pick in 2016 by KC.

ETA - Ward is an UDFA
That’s a great move. I don’t know if the guy can play but kudos to the front office for this move. Good value. 

Of course they won’t get any credit because everyone thinks Jerry still runs the show but whatever.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
That’s a great move. I don’t know if the guy can play but kudos to the front office for this move. Good value. 

Of course they won’t get any credit because everyone thinks Jerry still runs the show but whatever.
Believe me, when the Cowboys make good personal moves, we know it's not Jerry.

Believe me, when the Cowboys make good personal moves, we know it's not Jerry.
Yeah, I’m pretty much done with eagles fans giving me their opinions on pretty much anything. Not so much you but the rest of your clan is all over this message board and anytime anything Dallas gets posted you guys feel compelled to put in your input. It’s not necessary, we don’t respect your opinions and you might as well save the time from typing.

I’m sorry, I’m not trying to lash out at you but the rest of your buddies have tried my patience. They don’t bring anything to the table except for snide comments and arrogance. 

Good luck to you and F the Eagles. 

Yeah, I’m pretty much done with eagles fans giving me their opinions on pretty much anything. Not so much you but the rest of your clan is all over this message board and anytime anything Dallas gets posted you guys feel compelled to put in your input. It’s not necessary, we don’t respect your opinions and you might as well save the time from typing.

I’m sorry, I’m not trying to lash out at you but the rest of your buddies have tried my patience. They don’t bring anything to the table except for snide comments and arrogance. 

Good luck to you and F the Eagles. 
No problem, good buddy. Sometimes we need to vent. I won't deny Eagle's fans as a whole are obnoxious, and winning the Super Bowl has made it worse. Of course, you realize that a lot of us Eagle fans grew up with douchbag fair weather Cowboy fans (they rooted for the Cowboys because they were good and the Eagles were not) in Philadelphia, constantly saying "got rings?!" so a lot of our resentment of Cowboy fans comes from that. Just explaining the animosity, not justifiying it.

I don't hold anything against you guys, most of you are good, solid fans.

Good luck to you and the Cowboys, I hope you both have an enjoyable season.

Users who are viewing this thread