What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2018 Dallas Cowboys*** (1 Viewer)

Does adding AC help make Dak finally FF relevant again?  Or is it too late in the year for AC to adjust and help?

So Amari Cooper for a first round pick. Is he enough of an upgrade at WR to justify the 1st round pick?
Typical Dallas move.

Ignore the god awful coaching, ignore that the QB cannot see open WR's, pass on giving up a 2nd rounder for Earl Thomas -  but gung ho for Amari Cooper. We are a good young team that is a QB away from being a force. This move is just stoopid ALL Day long.

Dak sucks...hope that helps.
Oh this I know.  He’s the only QB I’ve seen that makes Cam look accurate.  But he’s had FF relevance in the past with a talented WR 1 and am just wondering if this brings him back close to that.  

So Amari Cooper for a first round pick. Is he enough of an upgrade at WR to justify the 1st round pick?
I like it. Not a great landing spot for FF, but that's beside the point.

It can also be just PART of the fix. Lots of cap room & not a lot of draft needs so we can double up at WR. A nice FA WR would be REALLY nice in the offseason.

That's how you get a dominating offense. And if we need to, sure, look at replacing Dak. We're already well on our way on D.

This is a nice piece to the puzzle & the more pieces you have, the quicker you get on the train to the Super Bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:

It can also be just PART of the fix. Lots of cap room & not a lot of draft needs so we can double up at WR. A nice FA WR would be REALLY nice in the offseason.

That's how you get a dominating offense. And if we need to, sure, look at replacing Dak. We're already well on our way on D.

This is a nice piece to the puzzle & the more pieces you have, the quicker you get on the train to the Super Bowl.
All fair points but from the outside looking in the bolded will never happen with your current HC.   

W

Typical Dallas move.

Ignore the god awful coaching, ignore that the QB cannot see open WR's, pass on giving up a 2nd rounder for Earl Thomas -  but gung ho for Amari Cooper. We are a good young team that is a QB away from being a force. This move is just stoopid ALL Day long.
Jones loves dak...he is the qb for awhile

Why not just keep the first and draft a WR who will likely be better than Cooper?  Unless they seriously think they can win it all this year which would be delusional IMO.

Typical Dallas move.

Agreed...  Maybe I'm in the minority but the expectation in Cooper to benefit Cowboys' offense should be kept in minimum.  After all, Cowboys lack in imaginative offensive play-calling.  I think the real winner is Zeke, which should face a slightly decreased frequent defensive stack front. 

I've been a Cowboys fan for 30-some years. This is so typical of Jerry Jones and a massive overpay, and I'm a huge Amari fan who owns him in a ton of dynasty and redraft. It's the move of a desperate team. The division is currently up for grabs, and Dallas wants that home playoff game so badly. But Amari is a free agent after 2019, and the possibility exists that Dallas gave up a first-round player who could've been in Dallas through 2023 for a guy who may not be around come 2020. And even if the Cowboys somehow make the playoffs, they're not beating the Rams or Saints. Plus next year is supposed to be a great year for WRs. Ugh, this is why I do fantasy football. This team is maddening.

I like the bolded. If only finding a franchise QB when you don't have a high first round pick was that easy.

Agreed...  Maybe I'm in the minority but the expectation in Cooper to benefit Cowboys' offense should be kept in minimum.  After all, Cowboys lack in imaginative offensive play-calling.  I think the real winner is Zeke, which should face a slightly decreased frequent defensive stack front. 
I think the real winner is cooper, Zeke and Dak's running ability will command the attention of the safety(s).  This was not happening in Oakland.

Why not just keep the first and draft a WR who will likely be better than Cooper?  Unless they seriously think they can win it all this year which would be delusional IMO.
Like I said, it's not all about this year.

In fact, I'd look at it like a future move. Cooper is still young.

I like the idea of going & getting another WR, maybe in FA.

I like the bolded. If only finding a franchise QB when you don't have a high first round pick was that easy.
We have a strong OL, a great RB, now have a decent WR, & what might be a dominating D (soon).

Teams have won the Super Bowl without a great QB. Dak is good enough with the right system, but we can always look at upgrading.

Like I said, it's not all about this year.

In fact, I'd look at it like a future move. Copper is still young.

I like the ide of going & getting another WR, maybe in FA.
So they're going to have to pick up his rookie option for next year, which will pay him the average of the top 10 WRs in the NFL, and then either give him a huge contract or use the franchise tag?

There's very little chance this ends up being a good move IMO.

So they're going to have to pick up his rookie option for next year, which will pay him the average of the top 10 WRs in the NFL, and then either give him a huge contract or use the franchise tag?

There's very little chance this ends up being a good move IMO.
We'll see. 

I like how they were getting hammered for not having a decent WR & they go get one, but people still aren't satisfied. LOL.

I get your point, but they needed a WR & they got a decent one, maybe better.

We'll see. 

I like how they were getting hammered for not having a decent WR & they go get one, but people still aren't satisfied. LOL.

It was a terrible deal...it’s ok to admit it. 

We'll see. 

If they paid a 3rd-4th round pick, I don't think you'd be hearing people complain. A 1st rounder is a ton to give up for a "decent" WR that you don't control for very long and are going to have to pay a lot of money to.

If they paid a 3rd-4th round pick, I don't think you'd be hearing people complain. A 1st rounder is a ton to give up for a "decent" WR that you don't control for very long and are going to have to pay a lot of money to.
Could have had Ridley last year on a rookie contract. Sign Hurns, Thompson and then bring back DJ dufflebag and draft Gallup in the 3rd. No, lets waste a future pick on a guy with drop issues, who’s passion for the game has been questioned, and who needs a big pay raise. 

Dak sucks...hope that helps.
 I admit that I’m smitten by the kid and his leadership potential. I like that hes not a knucklehead. I like the accountability. I think he needs to get better.You don’t like his intagibles enough to let him grow on the job? He wasn’t a first round pick. In a perfect world he could (and likely) should have sat behind Romo for a few years. He’s not playing any worst than many of the greats did or would have their first few years.I think an offense that only lines up in two formations, the HEY EVERYONE, WERE GONNA PASS HERE 5 wide or the “WERE RUNNING IT! 3 TE set. 

Philosophically I like a team with a good defense strong running game and safe passing game so provided he doesn’t put the ball on the ground I think he can run the offense they seem to want to. Another thing to consider is that a guy like Dak doesn’t eight down your salary cap which allows you to build a more balanced team. 

Like or hate him, even I have to acknowledge  that Dak is running out of time and excuses.

Could have had Ridley last year on a rookie contract. Sign Hurns, Thompson and then bring back DJ dufflebag and draft Gallup in the 3rd. No, lets waste a future pick on a guy with drop issues, who’s passion for the game has been questioned, and who needs a big pay raise. 
Wait a minute, its almost as though you doubt Dallas has the best front office in the league.  I was assured only my Eagles' bias prevented me from admitting Dallas had the best.

Wait a minute, its almost as though you doubt Dallas has the best front office in the league.  I was assured only my Eagles' bias prevented me from admitting Dallas had the best.
Would you like to contribute your biased opinion on what’s good or bad for your rival (,secretly your favorite) franchise or troll moar

I admit that I’m smitten by the kid and his leadership potential. I like that hes not a knucklehead. I like the accountability. I think he needs to get better.You don’t like his intagibles enough to let him grow on the job? He wasn’t a first round pick. In a perfect world he could (and likely) should have sat behind Romo for a few years. He’s not playing any worst than many of the greats did or would have their first few years.I think an offense that only lines up in two formations, the HEY EVERYONE, WERE GONNA PASS HERE 5 wide or the “WERE RUNNING IT! 3 TE set. 

Philosophically I like a team with a good defense strong running game and safe passing game so provided he doesn’t put the ball on the ground I think he can run the offense they seem to want to. Another thing to consider is that a guy like Dak doesn’t eight down your salary cap which allows you to build a more balanced team. 

Like or hate him, even I have to acknowledge  that Dak is running out of time and excuses.
IF* he could improve. You don’t have the coach to do it. Coach shoulda got canned and let the new coach decide about Dak and new WR toys. 

I am firmly in the - he does not pass the eye test - of a good to great QB. I’ve tried hard, but he doesn’t have the feet and pocket awareness. 

Typical Dallas move.

i was curious how the fans would feel about this. All the call for Thomas for a 2nd that Dallas wouldn't bend on (who knows what actually happened), but comparing the team, would Thomas or Cooper be more helpful?

We have a strong OL, a great RB, now have a decent WR, & what might be a dominating D (soon).

Teams have won the Super Bowl without a great QB. Dak is good enough with the right system, but we can always look at upgrading.
i do love the idea that Cooper may help you guys to win an additional game or 2, and all this leads to is Good old Garret sticking around another year or 2

I'm still on board.  Been a fan for over 40 years and hope I have another 40 in me.  Not a huge fan of Garrett and am thinking Dak is not the answer (although every weekend I hope he proves me wrong).  I do like what the front office has been doing on the drafting side since Jerry got out of his own way.  I'm kinda neutral on the Cooper deal.  He's young, talented and better than what we currently have.  The fact that we gave up a first rounder for a guy that could be gone in a year makes me queasy.  I think we probably overpaid.  But those that are saying we could have just used that first rounder next year on a WR with equal or better talent are just taking pot-shots at the team they love to hate.  Who's to say next years first rounder is any good?  Coleman, Perriman, Kevin White, Dorsett, Treadwell are just some of the recent first round WRs.  None of them bring to the table what Cooper does.  

As is the case with most of you, the team just frustrates the bejesus out of me.  So much potential...

As much as I hate to say it, I like the move to get Cooper.  He has potential to be decent in the offense and they're desperate for a WR.

EDT:  K What??  They gave up a 1st??  I assumed it was a 3rd or 4th.  Worth it only if he becomes a stud... which is possible... but that seems incredibly pricey.  How many 1sts do the Raiders have now?  Can they trade Gruden for another one again?

So it looks like ol’ Jones and I are the only fans still onboard. Anybody else?

Going once....
We’ll be flooded next year I’m thinking.

I’ve been very critical of Dallas, but I happen to think we’re on a fast arrow up with the base we have (including our front office with Stephen & Will McClay).

I get @Bankerguy & his frustration, but I don’t happen to agree with him.

We’ll see.

As much as I hate to say it, I like the move to get Cooper.  He has potential to be decent in the offense and they're desperate for a WR.

EDT:  K What??  They gave up a 1st??  I assumed it was a 3rd or 4th.  Worth it only if he becomes a stud... which is possible... but that seems incredibly pricey.  How many 1sts do the Raiders have now?  Can they trade Gruden for another one again?
You guys tried to give a 2nd for Cooper.

We needed a WR MUCH more than you did. Also, whether Cooper is actually worth a 1st, 2nd, or whatever, remains to be seen.

I like the move (in general). I just get a kick out of how everyone was #####ing & moaning about the worst receiving corps in the league & when we finally land a decent WR (for the same price it would’ve cost us in the draft next year), all I hear is #####ing & moaning (from Cowboys fans, as well). LOL.

I don’t get it. Was it the perfect trade? No. But it gives us something to build on with a guy who was very highly thought of not too long ago & is still young. I’ll take it.

I also don't get all the negativity among Cowboys fans. I may very well be the longest-running Dallas fan among the regular posters & I've only been this excited twice (the other time was the feeling I got when Jimmy was building).

We're a little more receiving help & MAYBE another player in the secondary away from being a legit Super Bowl contender. And we're one of the youngest teams in the league. What's not to like?

You can trash Dak, but that's getting to be our biggest issue & you can typically address your biggest issue with enough cap space (like we've got) & a good enough personnel evaluator (like we've got).

That said, I'm still not predicting anything this season. We very well may be a year away from the playoffs (& probably are). As far as Garrett, we're in the middle of the playoff race so what do you expect JJ to say about Clapper?

I stand by my stance that the Jones' didn't get where they're at because they're dumb. 

Bankerguy said:
Been a fan 40 years. Not going anywhere. Just not gushing over our ridiculous front office. Apologies if it ruffles feathers by me not being a blind fan boy.
No ruffled feathers here boss. I was sorta shaking the tree limbs to try and get more Cowboysfans into the conversation.

I understand where you’re at but I actually see progress where you seem to see the opposite.

The Eagles have traded their way into cap purgatory over the next few years and they got a SB out of it. 

Im not excited about losing a first which I strong believ should go to defense or OL but if it pans out I’ll revaluate. 

No ruffled feathers here boss. I was sorta shaking the tree limbs to try and get more Cowboysfans into the conversation.

I understand where you’re at but I actually see progress where you seem to see the opposite.

The Eagles have traded their way into cap purgatory over the next few years and they got a SB out of it. 

Im not excited about losing a first which I strong believ should go to defense or OL but if it pans out I’ll revaluate. 
OL? I want to hear more.

The one & only spot I'd use a high pick on is LT, but interested to hear your thoughts.

A first for Cooper is a huge overpay imo.

And Dak is a huge disappointment , imo.

He doesn't see guys when they're open , repeatedly. He doesn't throw guys open.

He's not very accurate 

A first for Cooper is a huge overpay imo.

And Dak is a huge disappointment , imo.

He doesn't see guys when they're open , repeatedly. He doesn't throw guys open.

He's not very accurate 
Huge overpay?

We'll have him through 2019 & have options after that. We're also in the playoff race NOW.

Philly tried to get him for a 2nd & they didn't need him NEARLY as bad as we do.

The Raiders weren't going to give him away. Cooper is talented AND young.

I'm curious what you expected to get him for.

I've never said we weren't making progress.  I have liked our improved drafting and focus on getting younger. Loved getting Kris Richard as well to the coaching staff.Big fan of several of the newer players. I like Dak the dude and his effort and leadership. I do not like his skill set at the moment and at this point I can't tell if it's more the QB or the Coaching. What I do know is he is struggling badly with seeing the field.  I think he needs to pull it down and run more. He is trying too hard to be something he is NOT and that is straight up pocket passer. 

What I also cannot support - is this Head Coach. How many games have lost due to clock management now?  I hate the playing not to lose approach.  :52 seconds left and a timeout on the 37 (We run 2 plays. A pass over the middle for like 6 yards and a run) so bad. I hate Offensive period. No imagination, no creativity. No ability to adjust. It's not just me saying this things - despite it being clear as day.  Many real Football way smarter than me see and report the same thing.

As I said before, I root and watch every game. However, I am not going to bent out of shape when this group accomplishes nothing in the end. It's not a Championship team and I am not getting lathered up and excited for this year.

I am hopeful for some change at Coach and developing a stronger team through the draft and keeping the right players.

I get a kick out of the "should've given a 3rd or 4th" narratives.

Riiiiight. LOL.

He'd still be a Raider (or in Philly).

Users who are viewing this thread