What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (3 Viewers)

randall146

Footballguy
I thought maybe it was a good idea to catalog school shootings.  I'm going to include any that happen on school grounds and/or appear to be aimed at students in some way.  We've got to have cutoffs or we'll stress the tubes.

January 4 - No casualties when someone shot one round into a high school in Seattle!

January 6 - A school bus window is shot out, and the pellet lands in a girl's head in Iowa!  Picture of the shooter shows a hard working "good people on both sides" American!

January 10 - Someone alters the appearance of the Visual Arts Building by shooting at it from the nearby foothills at Cal State Fullerton!  Totally coincidentally, 200 students were in the lecture hall for their Race and Racism class.  Go Coyotes!

January 10 - A 14 year old kills himself in an elementary school in Arizona!

January 15 - No casualties result from a good old fashioned gunfight outside a dorm at Wiley College, Texas!  Stray bullets entered occupied dorm rooms, too.  Yeah Wildcats!

January 20 - It's a classic public vs. private matchup as a Winston Salem State University student is shot and killed at Wake Forest University!  Here we go Deacs!

January 22 - 1 injured as a 15 year old boy shoots a 14 year old girl in Texas!  "She said she was angry when she learned who the suspect was because she had complained about him at least twice to school officials, including to a vice principal. 'This could have been avoidable,' she said. 'There were so many signs.'"  Just kids being kids, I say

January 22 - 1 injured when a driveby shooter shoots into a group of kids standing in front of their high school school in New Orleans!

January 23 - 2 killed and at least 18 injured at a high school in Kentucky!

January 25 - A high school student points a loaded gun at administrators and students before firing into the air in Mobile, Alabama!

January 26 - Shots fired after a fracas at a basketball game in Dearborn, Michigan! Seems like it may have been neighborhood spat unrelated to the school

February 1 - A twelve year old accidentally shoots four other kids (one in the head) in a Los Angeles middle school

February 5 - 11th grader shot in the chest in an apparent robbery in Maryland!

February 5 - Third grader pulls the trigger and shoots an officer's gun in Minnesota! Thank god for armed good guys!

February 8 - Only a wall injured as shot fired in high school in the Bronx, NY

February 9 - 14 year old guns down 17 year old outside high school in Nashville, Tennessee

February 14 - 17 killed by ex student shooter in Miami!  Shooter escaped and was caught later in the woods some distance away, despite there being an armed good guy in the school

February 20 - 7th grader commits suicide by gun in school bathroom in Ohio.  Had "distractionary devices"(?) in his backpack ("It's not a bomb, I can tell you that")

February 27 - Non-student shot in rec center at Mississippi Valley State University.  Go Delta Devils!

February 27 - Studying student shot in the ### from an adjoining dorm room at Norfolk State University.   I AM SPARTA!

February 28 - In the wake of the Florida shooting we finally figured out we need to arm the teachers.  Wait?  What's that?  Teacher arrested in Georgia after firing shots and barracading himself into a high school classroom

March 2 - Student kills his parents in his dorm at Central Michigan University.  Let's go Chippewas, let's go!  Clap clap!

March 7 - Student shot in Dixon Hall at Jackson State University (Mississippi).  Yay Jackson State Mascot!

March 7 - 17 year old high school senior killed, another wounded in apparent accidental shooting in Birmingham Alabama

March 8 - One shot in campus apartment the University of South Alabama.  Go Jags!!

March 13 - Good guy with gun accidentally fires a shot in an Alexandria, VA middle school.  Oopsie doopsie.

March 13 - Another  good guy with a gun accidentally fires a shot during a public safety class in a Seaside, California high school.  Don't worry, a student was only hit by "fragments" of a bullet, not the whole thing.

March 20 - Shooter dead, 2 other students injured at a Great Mills, Maryland high school.  GGwG may have killed shooter, or he may have suicided

April 9 - High schooler chases down and shoots another high schooler with a bb gun at a Gloversville, NY middle school

April 12 - Man shot in the stomach at a middle school track meet in Raytown, Missouri

April 20 - 19 year old former student shoots a 17 year old current student in the ankle in Ocala, Florida

May 11 - 14 year old fires 10 rounds, hits a 15 year old in Palmdale, California

May 16 - Graduation is a stressful time.  19 year old senior opens fire at gymnasium during graduation walkthrough in Dixon, Illinois!  Officer is able to shoot and capture shooter and no one else is shot or injured

May 17 - Not technically a school shooting as a high school senior is shot at a graduation ceremony at a church rented out for the Leawood, Kansas Center High School school graduation

May 18 - 17 year old kills 8 students and 2 teachers at Santa Fe High School, Santa Fe, Texas

May 18 - One dead, one injured in a parking lot shooting after the Mr. Zion high school graduation in Jonesboro, Georgia! May 25 - Middle schooler shoots a classmate and a teacher in Noblesville, Indiana!  The deceased was a woman in her 40's though.  I don't even know if that counts anymore

May 21 - Woman accidentally shot in an elementary school parking lot in Griffin, GA!  “The main thing in this – whatever happened – is that it wasn’t directed at students or staff. They were inside doing an awards ceremony,” Dix said. “It was not related to school activities or any functions of the school itself.”

May 25 - 13 year old shoots a a 13 year old girl and a teacher in Noblesville, Indiana! 

June 1 - Student commits suicide by gun at McKinney North High School in McKinney, TX

June 9 - Man killed in apparent road rage incident at Compton Community College when one man busts a cap in a student's ###.  Life ain't Eazy.

June 21 - 16 year old shot in ankle at Skyline High School in "Pleasant" Grove, TX!  This one was hard to google because in recent years there have also been shootings or shooting threats at Skyline High School in Washington State, and Arizona

June 24 - Two boys shot by a third outside basketball practice at Sentinal High in Missoula, MT!

I apologize for putting this in the Politics Subforum, because obviously these things have nothing to do with policy or politics.  Unfortunately I couldn't find the "We don't care that our kids kill each other" subforum.

*** On 3/20, 2+ months, and 84 pages after the original post, the mods decided to change the name of the thread. IIRC, the name was something like “Yay school shootings! USA, USA!”  I can’t imagine why they changed it, particularly since their new chosen title ignores the fact that the whole thread is about school shootings. But apparently some members or mods can’t face the reality that school shootings are endemic to our American culture, and would prefer to ignore it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It feels like we as a society have normalized school shootings.  Something like this is back page news now where I feel like school shootings 10-15 years ago were lead story type stuff.   Maybe it just depends on the number of kids killed.  

People suck.  If people want to kill each other they will find a way.  Parents suck too.   I live in a safe neighborhood with I'm guessing 150-200 houses.  We have a common area behind my house where kids anywhere from age 5 to 18 play often.  The teenagers often are just a-holes.  We also have a neighborhood facebook page where a lot of moms will complain about teenagers bullying younger kids and the parents of the teenagers have all shades of excuses but it's never their kid and never their fault.  

I used to balk at this theory when I was younger, but the older I've got and the more prevalence of these shootings has me looking more closely at this:

What role does the video game/entertainment industry have in this?  Well, maybe "role" isn't the best term, as they simply provide what sells best.  But it's clear, violence sells.  Within that, violence clearly does not shock anymore and is often portrayed as the solution to problems (real or fantasy).  

So it's a societal issue as much as it is a tool (gun) issue.  I do believe "gun control" is a valid and worthwhile goal, but I do not believe it to be an endgame solution.  Something is wrong with our overall indifference to violence as entertainment, IMO.  I do not pretend to know or suggest how to address that problem, only that I know it is an obstacle within the entire discussion of mass shootings/domestic terrorists

It feels like we as a society have normalized school shootings.  Something like this is back page news now where I feel like school shootings 10-15 years ago were lead story type stuff.   Maybe it just depends on the number of kids killed.  

People suck.  If people want to kill each other they will find a way.  Parents suck too.   I live in a safe neighborhood with I'm guessing 150-200 houses.  We have a common area behind my house where kids anywhere from age 5 to 18 play often.  The teenagers often are just a-holes.  We also have a neighborhood facebook page where a lot of moms will complain about teenagers bullying younger kids and the parents of the teenagers have all shades of excuses but it's never their kid and never their fault.  
The bolded remark really frustrate me. Several moderate and reasonable gun control ideas have been floated; conservatives block us from trying ANY of them out.

In the long run, you may be right and none of them will have any effect at all. But why can't we at least try? Why must we give up before we even start?

I used to balk at this theory when I was younger, but the older I've got and the more prevalence of these shootings has me looking more closely at this:

What role does the video game/entertainment industry have in this?  Well, maybe "role" isn't the best term, as they simply provide what sells best.  But it's clear, violence sells.  Within that, violence clearly does not shock anymore and is often portrayed as the solution to problems (real or fantasy).  

So it's a societal issue as much as it is a tool (gun) issue.  I do believe "gun control" is a valid and worthwhile goal, but I do not believe it to be an endgame solution.  Something is wrong with our overall indifference to violence as entertainment, IMO.  I do not pretend to know or suggest how to address that problem, only that I know it is an obstacle within the entire discussion of mass shootings/domestic terrorists
They've got those video games and movies in the rest of the world too.

But we're the only ones who do mass shootings like this.

Good point. Charles Whitman was huge Call Of Duty guy.

I thought maybe it was a good idea to catalog school shootings.

On January 23, 2 were killed and 18 injured at a high school in Kentucky!
This was a pretty large school shooting, with two dead and 19 wounded. I was really surprised that there wasn't a dedicated thread about it in the FFA.

For better or worse, these events are now normalized in our culture. Not to say "accepted" ... just that the shock value is much diminished.

The bolded remark really frustrate me. Several moderate and reasonable gun control ideas have been floated; conservatives block us from trying ANY of them out.

In the long run, you may be right and none of them will have any effect at all. But why can't we at least try? Why must we give up before we even start?
I've stated several times I'm anti-gun.  Ban them all.   I don't think that's the only problem here but I'll step out of this thread as it's already become another gun control troll thread, as usual.

I've stated several times I'm anti-gun.  Ban them all.   I don't think that's the only problem here but I'll step out of this thread as it's already become another gun control troll thread, as usual.
I don't understand this either. Who is trolling? Has it come to the point where anyone who makes an argument for gun control is a troll?

And I disagree with you again. I don't want to ban guns. And I'm not anti-gun either. I want reasonable, moderate, proposals designed to stop guns from getting in the hands of bad people and sick people. That's all.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe we're also the only Democracy whose President actively advocates violence towards others. 

I *think* we are much more inundated with it...again, I am not saying guns aren't the problem, nor that further gun control isn't a good idea.  I just think our relationship to violence is beginning to show itself in very negative ways.  Maybe this is only worth a sidebar to the overall gun control debate, it's just something I've noticed the last few years and it is bothersome to me; the fact that this isn't bigger news sort of solidifies my views on it...guns exist and they cause massive harm and damage, so stricter methods of access seems only logical.  But why are they turned to in the first place, why is violence and death the outlet and solution for those that carry out these events?

Anywho...yes, less guns and/or access to them

An update on Australia's gun law effects.

“In the seven years before the NFA, the average annual firearm homicide rate per 100,000 was .43 (range .27 to .60) while for the seven years post NFA, the average annual firearm homicide rate was .25 (range .16 to .33).”

“[T]he drop in firearm deaths was largest among the type of firearms most affected by the buyback.”

Better parenting could go a long way.  There's a reason games have ratings on them.  A Mature rated game should not be played by a 10 year old kid yet parents still buy the games for them and allow them to play.  They also allow them to talk trash to each other online.  I think it's all way too much for children.

I noticed a major change with my son in the last two years after watching tons of videos on YouTube.  His attitude changed and he became more cocky and talked back a lot more.  We took away the iPad for a couple months now and it's amazing how much better he acts.  There's too much kids are learning at too young of an age if you ask me.

I don't understand this either. Who is trolling? Has it come to the point where anyone who makes an argument for gun control is a troll?

And I disagree with you again. I don't want to ban guns. And I'm not anti-gun either. I want reasonable, moderate, proposals designed to stop guns from getting in the hands of bad people and sick people. That's all.
I just want our leaders to have the discussion!  Everybody seemed to agree that bump stocks needed to be banned after Las Vegas, and yet nothing has happened and it seems to have fallen into this regulatory purgatory. The failure to even discuss the issue is maddening. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/12/05/atf-and-other-federal-agencies-reviewing-whether-ban-bump-stocks/924347001/ 

It's the GOP way.  Look at healthcare.

I know we're the greatest country on earth, blah, blah, blah, but I'm really starting to loathe living here.  The stupidity of the far right is really dragging us down into an unintellectual abyss.  
We have the greatest military on earth, but that's about it.  Yay?

:lmao:

That's fine.  I know I have extreme gun views that are as anti-right as you can get.  I know very few would share those views.   I was just saying guns aren't the only problem here but by all means get rid of them.

:lmao:

That's fine.  I know I have extreme gun views that are as anti-right as you can get.  I know very few would share those views.   I was just saying guns aren't the only problem here but by all means get rid of them.
The only one who has said ban them all is you. And you’re also the only one complaining about trolling. 

I just want our leaders to have the discussion!  Everybody seemed to agree that bump stocks needed to be banned after Las Vegas, and yet nothing has happened and it seems to have fallen into this regulatory purgatory. The failure to even discuss the issue is maddening. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/12/05/atf-and-other-federal-agencies-reviewing-whether-ban-bump-stocks/924347001/ 
The bump stock “debate”, if one can even call it that, was typical of the successful way that the NRA understands and manipulates the body politic. When this issue came up after Las Vegas, they were silent. Publicly they announced that they would not oppose making bump stocks illegal. Privately they told the Republicans that they would withdraw their support from any politician who dared introduce such a bill. No bill was introduced. 

This has been repeated several times. 

Its fairly amazing how common this is becoming that a school shooting where 2 people died and almost 20 injured barely made the news.
Is it? What have we done to stop them?

I mean, when terrible things start happening more often than they used to and no one takes any action that would stop or slow the increase, why is it amazing when they become common?  If we're not willing to do anything about them, what are people supposed to do?  Just stay in a constant state of outrage and panic about them?

Users who are viewing this thread