What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (2 Viewers)

I'm not big on the blaming gun owners thing.  It's legal, and if you're responsible, no issue in my opinion.

But if your vote is specifically tied to candidates who refuse to enact gun control legislation that could help save childrens lives...then perhaps there's a share of blame there.  Similarly with other issues of our day where there's a big threat, and a person can end up voting to ignore the threat.  They share some of the blame if that threat comes to fruition, or continues unabated.
If I'm left with the choice between universal health care for my daughter with diabetes and tougher gun laws, which should I choose? It's not as easy as it looks. 

I'm not big on the blaming gun owners thing.  It's legal, and if you're responsible, no issue in my opinion.

But if your vote is specifically tied to candidates who refuse to enact gun control legislation that could help save childrens lives...then perhaps there's a share of blame there.  Similarly with other issues of our day where there's a big threat, and a person can end up voting to ignore the threat.  They share some of the blame if that threat comes to fruition, or continues unabated.
:goodposting:

I'm to the point where the most reasonable solution seems to be major limitations on guns, but if those who want to protect guns have a BETTER IDEA, I'd be all for that.  The goal is to protect children here, not ban guns.  One is a means, the other is an end.  If we can achieve the end by different means, I'm all for it. 

Yet...nothing of consequence is being done.  Our politicians and leaders are letting us down, and the students are being forced to advocate for their own safety against our elected leaders.  That's where we are, and it's pathetic.  It's pathetic that our leaders are failing to muster up the political capital to address the threats of our day. School shootings is only one of the issues.
I'll post again:

1 - Raise the age to buy a gun or ammo to 21.

2 - Universal background checks. Any private gun sales are processed through a licensed gun dealer. 

3 - Magazine limits set at 6.

4 - Do not ban assault rifles. Instead limit the caliber of any new assault rifles to .22 caliber. This eliminates the killing ability, but doesn't ban the guns. 
And that's fine to post, and if those things fix or significantly help, I'm all for them.  But our elected officials in power right now, namely the GOP, are refusing to even take these steps.

At a certain point, when you refuse to do potentially sensible things like you suggest here, you lose the ability to set the agenda for a solution and when another party gains power, the solution they put in place will likely be something worse.

But essentially that's what politics has become these days.  A party refusing to budge on any issue important to their base, so they lose an election, the other party puts in place sensible regulations, and they spend ALL their time opposing the regulations, once passed they lobby to repeal the regulations, and they do this long enough and win the election, and then they repeal the regulations...and we're back where we started.  See health care.  See financial regulation. See Iran deal.  

So again, your proposal might help, but it's never going to be enacted by politicians who need the support of the gun lobby.  This is our reality.

We utilize them everywhere... except on guns.

Hell the NRA and its lobbying arm and our gun freaks... HAVE MADE IT ILLEGAL TO RESEARCH THE EFFECTS OF GUNS!
:goodposting:  

NRA also successfully lobbied a bunch of other stuff in law enforcement that would make your head spin, like limitations on digitizing information about guns and gun violence to make it easily shareable and searchable with other law enforcement agencies.  There are still giant stacks of paper that would have been in databases decades ago if not for the NRA.

Stealthycat said:
how many people have been killed by cars since you're wanting to make comparisons. Drug overdoses? knives?
I assume you’re referencing knife vs. rifle statistics.  Let’s use “knives and cutting instruments” vs. “guns and shooting instruments” or let’s break out the type of knife if we’re going to run that route. 

A concealed Bowie knife is illegal most places. How many Bowie knife murders were there? Should we make those legal?

Switchblades are illegal many places.  How many of those? Are you marching for switchblade rights? Seems pretty hypocritical of you not to fight for people’s right to carry a switchblade.  Really, it seems like you don’t care at all about people’s right to defend themselves.  

If I'm left with the choice between universal health care for my daughter with diabetes and tougher gun laws, which should I choose? It's not as easy as it looks. 
I agree.  That's why blame game doesn't work.  You could vote for a candidate because she supports a position you care strongly about, while holding your nose about a position she holds that you strongly disagree with.  It's all about why you support the candidate, as to whether you deserve any arbitrarily assigned blame.  It's likely even more complicated than that, but I really don't care to talk about blame, rather than to talk about advocating for a good solution, or folks likely to put in place a solution...that helps.

But I imagine there are some candidates who support both universal health care and tougher gun laws, so this one is likely easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree.  That's why blame game doesn't work.  You could vote for a candidate because she supports a position you care strongly about, while holding your nose about a position she holds that you strongly disagree with.  It's all about why you support the candidate, as to whether you deserve any arbitrarily assigned blame.  It's likely even more complicated than that, but I really don't care to talk about blame, rather than to talk about advocating for a good solution, or folks likely to put in place a solution...that helps.
As I already mentioned, there is little any of us can do right at this moment. If there was, they would have already taken place. This pointing blame right now and saying blood is on the hands of gun owners is ridiculous. If it's so simple to accomplish, then why haven't the anti gun proponents done it already?

Sure it is! You’re in luck! One party wants both and the other party wants neither!
One party wants universal health care and they may want gun regulations beyond what I think is correct. If the other wants universal health care and no gun control, which do I vote for?

As I already mentioned, there is little any of us can do right at this moment. If there was, they would have already taken place. This pointing blame right now and saying blood is on the hands of gun owners is ridiculous. If it's so simple to accomplish, then why haven't the anti gun proponents done it already?
Saying blood on the hands of gun owners is ridiculous.  Saying blood is on the hands of folks who continue to oppose gun regulation of any kind is a debatable issue.

There's not "little any one of us can do".  If we care enough about this issue, we can vote for folks who are likely to do something about the issue.  I guarantee you this is not the GOP at this time in our history.

So if you care about the issue, you know a vote for the GOP is a vote for the status quo on gun control, or equally likely an expansion of gun access.  Other parties have folks who are more than willing to do something about this given a majority in congress.  We can all help make that happen.

Yes, there are other issues that go along with this that you may not agree with...but that's life.  Make the best decision you can about the things most important to you and live with the consequences while hoping to help mitigate them.

But if your daughter has diabetes and you're supportive of gun control legislation, the voting options seem pretty straightforward to me.

Wow. really?  See, I really should have checked out of this thread.  You don't know me and the only thing I know about you is that you are a gun supporter.  Its on you dude.
What's your point. Nothing can be done right now. 

I am not going to send money to someone or some group until I'm sure they represent my opinions. Would you send money to Trump or the NRA?

Will Justify win the Triple Crown. I don't have a crystal ball. 
Then don't make absurd hypotheticals about choices in the future you will never have to make, such as the choice between universal health care for your daughter with diabetes and tougher gun laws (hint: they aren't mutually exclusive).

How can you expect a serious discussion when you post things like that unless this is just a fishing expedition?

Because we were talking about parties.  Read your post I was quoting.  I was responding directly to you talking about two parties in that post. 
No I was talking about choices. Doesn't matter the party. It will come down to candidate and whether or not I align with their platform. (and trust they will follow through)

Then don't make absurd hypotheticals about choices in the future you will never have to make, such as the choice between universal health care for your daughter with diabetes and tougher gun laws (hint: they aren't mutually exclusive).

How can you expect a serious discussion when you post things like that unless this is just a fishing expedition?
I can make those statements, because I don't limit myself to 2 parties. That's why you think they aren't mutually exclusive. I refuse to vote single issue. 

Stealthycat said:
[scooter] said:
They failed to prevent 10 deaths yesterday and 17 deaths in Florida, so....yeah.
I agree 100%

We need better security at school, something Democrats absolutely will not discuss because it might make a student feel bad.
This school did have better security. And still 10 kids died.

This is basically a variation of the "No true Scotsman" logical fallacy.

You've argued that (paraphrasing) "School shooting deaths wouldn't happen if they had security officers."

Then, when Florida happened, you said (paraphrasing) "Well, obviously they needed true security officers. That guy was a coward."

Then, when Texas happened, you said (paraphrasing) "Well, obviously they needed better security officers."

And you will continue to move the goalposts each time new evidence is presented to debunk your argument.

P.S. you're also using a different form of fallacy when you say "something Democrats will not discuss".

This school did have better security. And still 10 kids died.

This is basically a variation of the "No true Scotsman" logical fallacy.

You've argued that (paraphrasing) "School shooting deaths wouldn't happen if they had security officers."

Then, when Florida happened, you said (paraphrasing) "Well, obviously they needed true security officers. That guy was a coward."

Then, when Texas happened, you said (paraphrasing) "Well, obviously they needed better security officers."

And you will continue to move the goalposts each time new evidence is presented to debunk your argument.

P.S. you're also using a different form of fallacy when you say "something Democrats will not discuss".
He is shameless in that respect. Mr. Cat doesn't just move the goalposts, he moves the stadium.

That would do nothing. You change the laws/rules and then everyone abides by them. Work for the fix.
Every little bit helps.  Have to start somewhere.  Those pushing so hard can lead the way by doing so themselves.  I'm anti-gun and don't have any in my house.  You can do it too.

I had done a bunch of research after Parkland to get rid of my guns but didn't get around to it, as they are safely locked up.  But actually Sante Fe will push me to do it.

I wish destroy them and turn the parts into the police, they will even come get them, and they will finish their destruction.

One party wants universal health care and they may want gun regulations beyond what I think is correct. If the other wants universal health care and no gun control, which do I vote for?

?

This is what I was saying I was replying to, KC. Parties. 

I had done a bunch of research after Parkland to get rid of my guns but didn't get around to it, as they are safely locked up.  But actually Sante Fe will push me to do it.

I wish destroy them and turn the parts into the police, the will even come get them, and they will finish their destruction.
Yeah, I’ve had this stupid hand cannon since I was young. I may keep a revolver in the future but I’m getting rid of this thing.  It’s dumb to have. Probably better to go with a pepper ball gun or taser anyway at this point. 

KCitons said:
12 years? 

We aren't forcing people to own driverless cars. Why do you think people will want to spend extra for something they don't think they will need?
Quite likely most driverless cars will not be owned by people. 

Mile High said:
Price of technology usually goes down over time. I think a lot of people would like the idea of being able to go out and not have to worry about driving.
Also, liking the idea of not having to own a car but to use it when convenient

This is very very easy, care for your daughter. Gun rights should pale in comparison or be laughably incomparable.

As for why it has to be a party or voting on a candidate by candidate basis it’s pretty clear dems want to lower the cost and provide easier access to healthcare, the republicans are afraid it may be good legislation and have done everything they can to sabotage it which will cost us all more in premiums. The dems want gun reform. The president is all for guns- wait, parkland....we need to do something about the guns in the country....until I talk in front of the NRA where I reassure them that democrats= no guns and trump= protection....until Santa Fe, now I’m saying we need to take a look.

As far as comparing gun and dui/alchohol related deaths, fine. You want equivalency? If I let someone who isn’t supposed to drink (16 ur old) get my liquor and he kills someone or gets hurt himself? I’m liable. If I sell someone too much alchohol in the bar and they hurt themselves or others? I’m liable. Let’s attach the same civil and criminal liatbility. 

Users who are viewing this thread