What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (4 Viewers)

You guys and all of your negativity.

The Florida Governor is on it!

Rick Scott@FLGovScott

Just spoke with @POTUS about shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. My thoughts and prayers are with the students, their families and the entire community. We will continue to receive briefings from law enforcement and issue updates.

February 14, 2018 1:44pm MST

Melania Trump is on it!

CNN is reporting that "First lady Melania Trump is aware of the school shooting in Florida, and her thoughts and prayers go out to those involved, per East Wing communications director Stephanie Grisham."

Congresswoman Frederica Wilson in on it too!

Rep Frederica Wilson@RepWilson

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims of the horrific shooting taking place at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. It is heartbreaking that these violent incidents continue to take place in schools, a place where our children should feel and be the most safe!

You guys should apologize for saying that nothing is being done. 

You'll hear a bunch of politicians saying their thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families....followed by doing absolutely nothing about it. 

You'll hear a bunch of politicians saying their thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families....followed by doing absolutely nothing about it. 
rinse repeat  --weekly it seems (confirmed 300 school shootings since 2013 --one per week) I blame Obama for never rounding up the guns

Last edited by a moderator:
Stealthycat should be here soon saying how this never would have happened if there were armed guards there.
Are armed guards really that controversial of an idea?  My kids go to a school that has armed guards and ID checks (it's on a military property). I gotta say, it's pretty reassuring.

Of course for public schools that would mean funding for screening, training, salaries and insurance, which means raising state and local taxes, which the recent tax bill discouraged by capping the SALT deduction and doubling the standard deduction.  I would support rolling back those measures, increasing taxes on the wealthy to cover the difference, and then raising state and local taxes to cover the cost of the program. I assume everyone who wants armed guards would feel the same way about taxes?

Are armed guards really that controversial of an idea?  My kids go to a school that has armed guards and ID checks (it's on a military property). I gotta say, it's pretty reassuring.

Of course for public schools that would mean funding for screening, training, salaries and insurance, which means raising state and local taxes, which the recent tax bill discouraged by capping the SALT deduction and doubling the standard deduction.  I would support rolling back those measures, increasing taxes on the wealthy to cover the difference, and then raising state and local taxes to cover the cost of the program. I assume everyone who wants armed guards would feel the same way about taxes?
I think it sucks that as a country it has come to the point that it may be required.  It doesn't look as though it's going to stop shootings though since this school had armed officers there.

Seeing this on the internet - so I don't know the veracity - but could this really be the 18th school shooting of the year so far?

Why don't we just build schools like prisons.  Can't get in and out of classrooms once the door is closed.  Bulletproof everything, chain link fences...again hopefully the republicans can get on board with this.

In the end, I'm sure teaching 6 year olds how not to die in their grade 1 class isn't doing anything to their overall psychological wellbeing

Why don't we just build schools like prisons.  Can't get in and out of classrooms once the door is closed.  Bulletproof everything, chain link fences...again hopefully the republicans can get on board with this.

In the end, I'm sure teaching 6 year olds how not to die in their grade 1 class isn't doing anything to their overall psychological wellbeing
Schools aren't that far from that already.  About the only thing missing are guard towers with armed guards.

Well you have to be able to get out for safety purposes, obviously.  Other than that I'd love for every parent to feel as safe dropping their kid off at school as I do.  Of course it would be massively expensive. We might even have to tax billionaires so much they'd be forced to downgrade to hardcourts instead of grass for their backyard tennis courts at their vacation homes. So pretty safe bet the GOP won't be on board.

Every time I hear about another shooting in a school it scares the crap out of me.  I think about how it could be at my wife's school or my son's.  It could be at my brother's school or his wife's or their daughter's school.  It could be at any one the numerous family and friends I have that work at schools.  How did it all come to this?

I've always been of two minds about that article: the first is, of course, that it's darkly and sadly true, and at the same time a hilarious and sharp put down.

The second, however, is that the title of the article is also true. There really may be no way to prevent this.

Consider: according to Pew Research, it is believed there are anywhere from 270-310 million private guns in our society:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/06/04/a-minority-of-americans-own-guns-but-just-how-many-is-unclear/

So in terms of attempting to "solve" this problem, we begin with a situation which no other society has ever faced: a saturation of private guns in which there are more than enough for every man, woman and child. While I enthusiastically support certain reasonable gun control methods, I have strong doubts that ANY of them will actually solve any problems. They may be unsolvable.

I want armed guards, not mall police .... I want them to be able to kill an attacker on the spot if it gets to that. 

Asking please is failing, gun free is failing, and until armed guards are at every school IMO the school shootings will continue without interruptions

why ?  nothing is stopping them, literally nothing

Again, everyone seems to also ignore what this does psychologically to kids that they literally spend time preparing to potentially die at school.  How is this acceptable?  

I've always been of two minds about that article: the first is, of course, that it's darkly and sadly true, and at the same time a hilarious and sharp put down.

The second, however, is that the title of the article is also true. There really may be no way to prevent this.

Consider: according to Pew Research, it is believed there are anywhere from 270-310 million private guns in our society:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/06/04/a-minority-of-americans-own-guns-but-just-how-many-is-unclear/

So in terms of attempting to "solve" this problem, we begin with a situation which no other society has ever faced: a saturation of private guns in which there are more than enough for every man, woman and child. While I enthusiastically support certain reasonable gun control methods, I have strong doubts that ANY of them will actually solve any problems. They may be unsolvable.
No way to prevent it? Are you kidding?

Repeal the 2nd amendment immediately and do things the way Japan does them. 

No way to prevent it? Are you kidding?

Repeal the 2nd amendment immediately and do things the way Japan does them. 
This is what I mean. We're not going to repeal the 2nd Amendment. You know that. It's never going to happen. What else you got?

This is what I mean. We're not going to repeal the 2nd Amendment. You know that. It's never going to happen. What else you got?
Not with that attitude we aren't

Tim by your logic we shouldn't do anything because it's hard to do.  Push the idea.  Attitudes change.  30 years ago if you would have said that gays should be able to get married you would have been laughed out of the room (and probably beat up for suggesting it).  It's defeatist attitudes like yours that actually let's these things continue

As you said, there are too many guns already out there. Ban or restrict the sale of certain types of bullets used in these assault rifles.  The second amendment does not cover ammunition.  

It would be hard but not impossible. 

In my opinion (at the risk of sounding like riversco) it would cause Civil War II but in the long run it would be worth it for our society. 

The forefathers got a lot right in the constitution but they couldn’t see far into the future. That’s probably why they put in ways to amend it. 

How about starting March 1st every gun sold is registered to a legal adult and that adult is criminally responsible for anything that happens with that gun. If you wanna keep leaving your guns unlocked around your psycho kid, and he shoots up a school, then enjoy prison.
A good start. Last time they didn’t even ban bump stocks which pretty much everyone was ok with banning. They’re incapable of even doing a symbolic move like that to pretend like they’re doing something.

It would be hard but not impossible. 

In my opinion (at the risk of sounding like riversco) it would cause Civil War II but in the long run it would be worth it for our society. 

The forefathers got a lot right in the constitution but they couldn’t see far into the future. That’s probably why they put in ways to amend it. 
Um, Do you know how many people the first civil war killed in comparison to the others?  No offense dude but that is a crazy dumb statement

How about starting March 1st every gun sold is registered to a legal adult and that adult is criminally responsible for anything that happens with that gun. If you wanna keep leaving your guns unlocked around your psycho kid, and he shoots up a school, then enjoy prison.
This has been the premise of my argument for a really long time.  The owners of these guns should be held ultimately responsible for them.  The gravity of owning a weapon should carry a grave responsibility to make sure it doesn't fall into the wrong hands.

Not with that attitude we aren't

Tim by your logic we shouldn't do anything because it's hard to do.  
Certainly not. There’s all kinds of things we can do. I don’t think AR-15s, the weapon used here, should be legal. So let’s start with that. We banned it once before; let’s do it again. 

But you can’t repeal the 2nd Amendment. That’s fantasy. 

There’s SO many things that are at least worth trying.  Simply federalizing regulation (and this unifying and standardizing it) would solve a ton of problems. Read this thread.

Certainly not. There’s all kinds of things we can do. I don’t think AR-15s, the weapon used here, should be legal. So let’s start with that. We banned it once before; let’s do it again. 

But you can’t repeal the 2nd Amendment. That’s fantasy. 
How about going a little deeper, looking a little less specifically. A specific gun doesn’t address the bigger problem.

Users who are viewing this thread