Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

USA Shootings

randall146

1 hour ago, killface said:

Again, everyone seems to also ignore what this does psychologically to kids that they literally spend time preparing to potentially die at school.  How is this acceptable?  

Back in the cold war days, kids had bomb drills didn't they?

They aren't preparing to die. They are preparing to protect themselves since our government won't protect them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

There’s SO many things that are at least worth trying.  Simply federalizing regulation (and this unifying and standardizing it) would solve a ton of problems. Read this thread.

This is really an informative thread, thanks. What about closing these gaps as an option?

Nope. People love their guns too much, some dead kids aren’t enough of a cost to put in meaningful changes. So sad.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ChopMeat said:

This is really an informative thread, thanks. What about closing these gaps as an option?

Nope. People love their guns too much, some dead kids aren’t enough of a cost to put in meaningful changes. So sad.

Yeah, I feel that way sometimes too.  But we should remember, that’s what the NRA wants.  They want us to feel hopeless and give up the fight. #### them.

Edited by TobiasFunke
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, EYLive said:

It was written by men. It can be repealed by men. It's not magic.

You need two thirds of the senate, the President, and two thirds of the state legislatures. 

Practically speaking, I ignore all proposed changes to our Constitution, no matter what the issue, and I assume that none will happen in my lifetime. I think this is a very reasonable assumption. 

4 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Certainly not. There’s all kinds of things we can do. I don’t think AR-15s, the weapon used here, should be legal. So let’s start with that. We banned it once before; let’s do it again. 

But you can’t repeal the 2nd Amendment. That’s fantasy. 

I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream. 

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.” And that respect is not determined by who holds the bigger gun, or who makes the quicker shot.

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia , the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood without shooting each other.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice, where children can go to school without fear of being shot.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the piece they carry in their belt, but by the content of their character. I have a dream today. 

I have a dream that one day down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of “interposition” and “nullification”, one day right there in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers without shooting each other. I have a dream today. 

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.

This is our hope. This is the faith that I go back to the South with. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the sounds of firearms of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day of arms.

This will be the day, this will be the day when all of God’s children will be able to sing with new meaning: “My country, ‘tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing. Land where my fathers died, land of the pilgrim’s pride, from every mountainside, let freedom ring!”

And if America is to be a great nation, this must become true. So let freedom ring from Sandy Hook Elementary, Newtown, Connecticut. Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of Columbine, Colorado. Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Virginia Tech. Let freedom ring from the snow-capped Rockies of Las Vegas. Let freedom ring from the curvaceous slopes of San Bernadino, California. But not only that: Let freedom ring from the bars of Orlando. Let freedom ring from Southerland Springs Church. (Yes) Let freedom ring from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

And when this happens, and when we allow freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God’s children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual: “Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!”

AND NOTHING TIMSCOCHET EVER SAYS WILL STOP ME FROM HAVING A DREAM!!!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, timschochet said:

You need two thirds of the senate, the President, and two thirds of the state legislatures. 

Practically speaking, I ignore all proposed changes to our Constitution, no matter what the issue, and I assume that none will happen in my lifetime. I think this is a very reasonable assumption. 

You act like the 2nd Amendment is the unchangeable word of God. Essentially, not enough people have died to affect change from our public servants. I wonder what the magic number of casualties is. 500,000? 1,000,000? 

It's like a petition but with gun deaths. Our government won't lift a finger until we hit the proper body count. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JIslander said:

Maybe, just maybe if Dems get both houses, Trump sees he's doomed anyway and figures to go out with someting big (a bang) they pull-off a huge coup in gun control. Hahahahaha! Hahahaha!, I know, silly. Right?...

The Dems are a massive long shot to take back the senate IMO.  Would literally take a complete repudiation of Trump to happen and, from where I sit, that ain’t happening.  

1 hour ago, EYLive said:

Back in the cold war days, kids had bomb drills didn't they?

They aren't preparing to die. They are preparing to protect themselves since our government won't protect them.

The equation would be the same if there were 300 bombs dropped on schools every year.  There isn't.  They are living a reality nobody could ever imagine and that is going to damage them forever

2 hours ago, Bucky86 said:

How about starting March 1st every gun sold is registered to a legal adult and that adult is criminally responsible for anything that happens with that gun. If you wanna keep leaving your guns unlocked around your psycho kid, and he shoots up a school, then enjoy prison.

The problem with that is that this country is filled with ignorant, stupid aholes.  Sure we could lock them up but that only means more dead kids.  The key is to keep the guns away from the ignorant stupid aholes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TobiasFunke said:

There’s SO many things that are at least worth trying.  Simply federalizing regulation (and this unifying and standardizing it) would solve a ton of problems. Read this thread.

When the left wins Congress in 2018 and the Presidency in 2020 I look forward to them finally ending the gun violence in America.

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

I suspect strongly you would have said 'you can never end slavery'

• Like 2

You guys should know by now that if the ##### couldn't get a big ### gun he would have killed and injured all those kids anyways with a rope or something ... jeez.

1 minute ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

I don't get the comparison of guns to slavery.  That seems a little over the top.  You can't ban guns though.  They will find their way into America just like drugs do.  Because people want them, unfortunately.

'Cause if we can't get rid of all of them, then we shouldn't get rid of most of them. 

:mellow:

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

I don't get the comparison of guns to slavery.  That seems a little over the top.  You can't ban guns though.  They will find their way into America just like drugs do.  Because people want them, unfortunately.

We'll never be able to completely get rid of guns. But we could shoot for a place where they are not so readily available where you can pick them up with a box of Cheerios and some Scott tissue at your local Walmart. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheMagus said:

We'll never be able to completely get rid of guns. But we could shoot for a place where they are not so readily available where you can pick them up with a box of Cheerios and some Scott tissue at your local Walmart. 

Have at it.  I said here maybe earlier in this thread that I would support banning all guns (but agree it's not feasible).  Everyone clearly wants to blame the right politically.  I look forward to the left solving the problem no later than 2021 after they win Congress and the Presidential election.  

15 minutes ago, TheMagus said:

Guns are infinitely easier to get then many drugs are.  That's for damn sure.

12 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Have at it.  I said here maybe earlier in this thread that I would support banning all guns (but agree it's not feasible).  Everyone clearly wants to blame the right politically.  I look forward to the left solving the problem no later than 2021 after they win Congress and the Presidential election.  

Not as long as the NRA can continue to contribute unlimited amounts of money to political campaigns.   Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

2 hours ago, Biff84 said:

A good start. Last time they didn’t even ban bump stocks which pretty much everyone was ok with banning. They’re incapable of even doing a symbolic move like that to pretend like they’re doing something.

It is too soon to talk about solutions for something like what happened in Vegas.  Thoughts and prayers.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, killface said:

I suspect strongly you would have said 'you can never end slavery'

I would have said, correctly, that you’ll never end slavery through peaceful political means. And they couldn’t. 

You’ll never repeal the 2nd Amendment through peaceful political means IMO. And I’m not willing to try any other way. 

6 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Just because they'll be smuggled into the country doesn't mean you can't ban them. Can you imagine how much more drugs there'd be if it was all legalized?

Just now, timschochet said:

I would have said, correctly, that you’ll never end slavery through peaceful political means. And they couldn’t. 

You’ll never repeal the 2nd Amendment through peaceful political means IMO. And I’m not willing to try any other way. 

You don't have to be willing. Innocent people are already being shot to death by the hundreds.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EYLive said:

Just because they'll be smuggled into the country doesn't mean you can't ban them. Can you imagine how much more drugs there'd be if it was all legalized?

We don't have to get rid of the 2nd amendment. We can just change it to the right to own pot. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EYLive said:

Also in June of 2015 Colt was going bankrupt. In September they signed a large deal with the US military. Colt was $250 million in debt. The contract was for $212 million. We should have attached strings to the deal - like stop making AR15s and stop making certain guns to sell to the public. Hell, we should have just considered buying  them out. 

6 minutes ago, timschochet said:

It'll take time, but it can happen.

9 minutes ago, timschochet said:

The problem is already violent. 

• Like 1

Here’s the first point people need to recognize, and I already wrote this in the other thread: Republicans are going to oppose ANY gun control proposals, no matter how moderate, 100% of the time, because they are beholden to the NRA. 

So if you want action on this issue you need to vote Democrat, pure and simple. And you need to make this issue a priority otherwise Democrats won’t touch it either. The Dems are your only chance, but right now they believe, correctly IMO, that when it comes time to voting people who want gun control aren’t willing to make it a primary concern while people who oppose gun control are. Unless that changes nothing happens. 

• Like 3