Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

USA Shootings

randall146

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

It's just another muscle.  Not much different than eating the heart or other body parts.  Just depends on how it's prepared.

I always found the surface texture disturbing.  Funny because I am not bothered by hearts, or gizzards from birds, but I find tongue off-putting.  My grandfather use to laugh at that.  My Dad too.

• Like 1

Another part of the problem [from Wiki]:

Jay Woodson Dickey, Jr. (December 14, 1939 – April 20, 2017), was a Republican U.S. Representative for Arkansas' 4th congressional district from 1993 to 2001. Named in his honor are the Dickey Amendment (1996), which blocks the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from funding injury prevention research that might promote gun control, . After the 2012 Aurora shooting, former congressman Dickey said that he regretted his role in blocking the CDC from researching gun violence.

Dickey created the the amendment because of NRA lobbyists. If not for the power of the NRA, we'd have more information, research and statistics about gun violence. The results of which would damage sales and support of gun ownership.
As long as we remain ignorant, gun supporters can continue to talk in circles and move the goal-post when it comes to solutions to reduce gun violence.

Edited by EYLive
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I think that could be true but I don't know how it can be compared to years ago.  Not sure it can. 

Drugs have been around a very long time. 

I think it's pretty obvious that the family dynamic has changed quite a bit over the years though.  Parents don't stick together like they use to.

Guns have been around for a long time but not to this extent.

Even when parents stick together they don’t spend as much time with their kids, because both have to work full time to afford anything. That’s a huge change due entirely to modern capitalism

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pantherclub said:

who was the poster on here that used to answer the door with a pistol in his hand?

Was it the same guy that ranted about being in a motorcycle gang?  I'm catching up...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stealthycat said:
  3 hours ago, Yankee23Fan said:

Anyone in this country that writes or believes anything you've written on this board in the past two days deserves to be called names by the people that would simply like our children to stop being murdered in school.

I am fighting hard to save children, my kids are in school, I want them protected like Obama's kids are and Hillary's and Trumps .... you don't ?

I've stayed out of the back and forth because, well, frankly at this point, the names I would use for people like you violate so many rules here that I would get banned, and I don't want to get banned because, well, I'll be honest, it's the yoga pants thread really.  But through the anger and vitriol people like me feel about this event and all of the events like this, my true opinion right now is that the NRA and people who give it money - and the politicians who take their money - are a clear and present danger to the United States.  And I use that specific term for a specific reason.

I don't get the hatred to name call people like you do. I disagree, but when be so hateful and mean? Guns are GOOD. They stop so much crime every day, so many rapes, murders, violence etc. Yes, they're used bad sometimes too, but its exceptionally rare overall. No, its not acceptable, we need ZERO murders in this country, that should be the expectation but good gawd the problem isn't the weapon of choice, its the PEOPLE

If a society can't protect it's children or have enough empathy to put them ahead of playing with something cool that goes bang, then that society doesn't deserve to exist.  I know you and other like you believe that because you want to rid of the world of the Islamic terrorists that do just that.  Use their children as cannon fodder for political ends.  That's where we are now.  Using are children as cannon fodder.  Not for some grand revolution against a foreign power trying to change our way of life or a tyrannical despot who looks to cleanse the country of us.  No.

society is failing by allowing killing babies in the womb, allowing smoking cigarettes, traffic deaths, etc etc. These school shootings are a reflection of life in the United States, not of the guns. They've increased, more common, the violence is coming FROM society, not from the inanimate objects.

So some guys can play with big guns and that make cool noises.  It's despicable.  The political right in this country is despicable.  I'm ashamed I was ever part of it today.  And I've felt that shame too much the past two years.

Odd, I am ashamed of the right for again using a tragedy to further political agenda. It IS despicable. We just view the other side as the problem.

Thing is .... for a long time now, asking people to keep gun free schools, churches, theaters etc has resulted in shootings in schools, churches, theaters etc. The way the left wants to design schools to be safer is still resulting in these instance.

Its still not working the way we have it, is it ? I know, you want to wave a wand and magically make an unrealistic gun free America. NEVER happening, NEVER. Knowing this, maybe we can work on common sense things that CAN help.

But emotionally hateful left is unable to do that.

After reading and conversing with you for some time, it's becoming clear that democracy may not be for you.  Ever thought about that?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

I don't know the people Tim is referencing.  I do know hundreds of LEO, and have worked with thousands.  From my experience I would guess that everything he set out here is true as to the attitudes of those he knows.  Rings very genuine to me.

I don't know any local LEOs (I know some federal ones, but they are suits), but it stands to reason from my point of view that they last thing they want is a Wild West situation when bad things happen you have random citizens pulling their firearms out causing even more chaos and difficulty to determine good guys from bad, what happened, how to protect the helpless and who should be questioned afterward.

Kyle Griffin‏ @kylegriffin1 3h3 hours ago

Important revision: WaPo finds that the number of school shootings that have occurred in 2018 is NOT 18. Just 5 school shootings this year have resulted in any physical injury, another 3 appeared to be intentional but didn't hurt anyone.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/no-there-havent-been-18-school-shooting-in-2018-that-number-is-flat-wrong/2018/02/15/65b6cf72-1264-11e8-8ea1-c1d91fcec3fe_story.html?utm_term=.f1110c12f88d

18 minutes ago, squistion said:

Important revision: WaPo finds that the number of school shootings that have occurred in 2018 is NOT 18. Just 5 school shootings this year have resulted in any physical injury, another 3 appeared to be intentional but didn't hurt anyone.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/no-there-havent-been-18-school-shooting-in-2018-that-number-is-flat-wrong/2018/02/15/65b6cf72-1264-11e8-8ea1-c1d91fcec3fe_story.html?utm_term=.f1110c12f88d

...two more involved guns — one carried by a school police officer and the other by a licensed peace officer who ran a college club — that were unintentionally fired and, again, led to no injuries...A month ago, for example, a group of college students were at a meeting of a criminal-justice club in Texas when a student accidentally fired a real gun, rather than a training weapon. The bullet went through a wall, then a window. Though no one was hurt, it left the student distraught.

Yeah, lets get more guns and more armed guards on campus, great idea.

2 hours ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Where I grew up many would argue that hunting white tail with a .22 was unethical.  From time to time there was legislation to restrict it, though I do not recall whether that ever passed.  I myself know that a .22 long rifle will penetrate the skull of a white tail every time at 100 yards and drop that critter before it takes a step or a bound.  Nice not to lose any meat, unless maybe you are a tongue guy.

Hunting deer with a .22 is unethical because most idiots in the woods either can't hit a deer in the head at more than 25 yds and/or would try to shoot it somewhere in it's body.

Fwiw, it's illegal to hunt deer with anything except centerfire rds in my state

29 minutes ago, squistion said:

That's good and makes sense. Media sensationalizing and rushing to print as always. I think I saw a map they had and a local Dearborn shooting was on the list which is true, a gun was fired on school property. It was very different though. It was 2 non-students, in the parking lot during a basketball game and it was the continuation of an argument that had been ongoing. Nobody was injured. It's not good, but shouldn't really be lumped in with what happened Wednesday. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, urbanhack said:
3 hours ago, Stealthycat said:

stopping all the killing and violence and helping the people who need it before the commit these crimes

1-2 kids dead from a guy shooting a revolver is a massive failure and a tragedy and unacceptable and we should stop those - which is often how school shootings goes and gun violence in general isn't it ?

AR15's are not terribly common in gun violence use

Aurora: AR-15
Orlando: AR-15
Parkland: AR-15
Las Vegas: AR-15
Sandy Hook: AR-15
Umpqua CC: AR-15
San Bernardino: AR-15
Sutherland Springs: AR-15

Well except those.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Stealthycat said:

this senseless murder triggered everyone

the left gets hateful and mean and wants to ban the choice of weapon

the right gets even harder on how to deal with criminals and what we need to do to stop them and focus on the core problem

there is a difference in reactions

The right is going to do jack #### as usual.

Edited by ericttspikes
  • Like 1

I hope to hell right now they are raiding the homes of every white nationalist militant that he trained with and communicated with. He's a terrorist. They might be terrorists too. If this was a Muslim that was training with a group of Muslims with the goal of creating an Arab ethno state in Florida, I am pretty sure all those other group members would have been snatched up by now. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I hope to hell right now they are raiding the homes of every white nationalist militant that he trained with and communicated with. He's a terrorist. They might be terrorists too. If this was a Muslim that was training with a group of Muslims with the goal of creating an Arab ethno state in Florida, I am pretty sure all those other group members would have been snatched up by now. 

That's gonna be a ton of confiscated MAGA hats.

11 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Should the next Democratic candidate run on the slogan "You're Fired" and paste them all over a bunch of blue hats? I think I would.

I like it.  I bet you could sell more than a few of those.

15 minutes ago, Reg Lllama of Brixton said:

No ####.

We have a half day tomorrow and then are off M-T. It's a well timed break. I hate having to talk to kids about what we will do if someone starts shooting up the school or trying to explain to kids why there haven't been laws passed to try and ban AR15s or why these shootings keep happening. It makes me feel like the representative of the highly disappointing adult community. 

5 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Here's a hypothetical question for you.  Lets say getting rid of all guns would 100% eliminate school shootings and all other mass shootings, would you be for that?  Simple yes or no question.

this one is worth a hypothetical

would it get rid of every gun death in the United States totally 100% never another gun death ?

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

I 100% agree

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TobiasFunke said:

-You want to raise taxes and divert the money to a public school safety program

-You support expanded background checks to purchase firearms

-You think the federal government should have been doing a better job monitoring dangerous white nationalist groups like the one to which Nikolas Cruz belonged.

Like I said, you're closer than you think.  Any time you're ready, we're happy to welcome you with open arms

This is what most conservatives will believe in.

I think a lot of liberals would agree too.

We can do all 3 without negatively impacting legal law abiding gun owners

4 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

Within the last year, it's quite common for deaths in mass shootings to have come from AR15s.

no, its not common .... not common at all

less than 1% of all gun crimes done with AR15's so Democrats demand their bans .... sound logical doesn't it ?

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

Officials Haven't Found Evidence Linking Florida Shooting Suspect To White Supremacists (UPDATE)

UPDATE: As of Thursday evening, law enforcement officials in Florida have reportedly not yet confirmed that a link exists between the Parkland school shooting suspect and the white supremacist paramilitary group Republic of Florida. ROF’s Jordan Jereb has not supplied evidence for his initial claim that the shooting suspect was associated with his group, and he later walked back his statements. Additional reporting by HuffPost has not found any credible links between the two. The claim was nevertheless widely reported, including in a headline on HuffPost’s front page.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-supremacist-group-says-florida-181802597.html

Just now, Stealthycat said:

I 100% agree

Just now, Stealthycat said:

This is what most conservatives will believe in.

I think a lot of liberals would agree too.

We can do all 3 without negatively impacting legal law abiding gun owners

I think today has been a day of real progress in the conversation here. I think you and many that are much farther left than or I agree on lots of things. Lets try to make things happen. You work your end, we work ours. If someone is a Dem, hammer those politicians. Make them invest wholly in this issue. If someone is a Republican, pester the NRA and representatives that they need to accept some changes. You are the most important part of this debate and America needs you right now. 

4 hours ago, JIslander said:

Why engage this guy?

because its how dialogue happens between two opposing sides

I've already admitted the NRA has a different posted view on background check add's than I thought, I learned something. Those who think AR15's are commonly used should have learned by now that they're not.

everyone learns when they have open minds and talk about things

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

no, its not common .... not common at all

less than 1% of all gun crimes done with AR15's so Democrats demand their bans .... sound logical doesn't it ?

Stop. Stay on track. What do we agree on? Stay on that. How do we get positive changes that we agree on?

3 hours ago, The Commish said:

After reading and conversing with you for some time, it's becoming clear that democracy may not be for you.  Ever thought about that?

Democracy is NOT for me, I oppose it in most every way. Thank God we don't live in one