What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (2 Viewers)

I think it scares some people to think they may be the last generation in their own country who is not over run with a new culture, color and values.   

I don’t know how to respond to this. I do think it’s fair to criticize Trump for his rhetoric. I don’t think it’s fair to blame him or anyone else but the shooter. I think posting stuff like “thanks Donald” is beyond the pale and taking things too far. Yet criticism is justified- he has dehumanized these people in his rhetoric. And I believe he’s been racist. 

Maybe these distinctions are meaningless now, I don’t know.  
He’s dehumanized these people to his supporters. Yet he deserves no blame when his followers act on his language of hate.

Your milquetoast response to this is wearying. You haven’t been paying attention if you think things are beyond the pale anymore. As a student of history, you should understand the dangerous power he wields.

Be prepared for people to swear his words don’t inflame. He bears no responsibility they’ll say. 
Swear? 

I think you are giving too much credit to Trump and not enough to this shooter. Had there not been other mass shootings prior to today, would this have happened? How much responsibility does every mass shooter before carry? Media coverage. How much responsibility do they carry? Parents? Ex girlfriends? 8chan? etc? etc? 

I'll concede Trump carries .001% of the responsibility. The shooter carries the rest. 

Swear? 

I think you are giving too much credit to Trump and not enough to this shooter. Had there not been other mass shootings prior to today, would this have happened? How much responsibility does every mass shooter before carry? Media coverage. How much responsibility do they carry? Parents? Ex girlfriends? 8chan? etc? etc? 

I'll concede Trump carries .001% of the responsibility. The shooter carries the rest. 
I am not focused on assigning percentages. Have at it. I know that treating helpless people like invaders, whipping his people into a frenzy, is not a way to act in our countries best interest. And he deserves to be criticized for his role, regardless of the percent that kcitons assigns.

What’s the enjoyment that you get owning one?BTW what do you do with it , shoot at a range etc? 

They seem kind of pointless 
I don't know either. Part of the reason I don't own one. I could see the usefulness for shooting at coyotes if you owned a ranch. 

I mentioned this about a month ago in this thread. (but got no responses). I was at my in-laws for a BBQ. My BIL had two AR15's. One had a binary trigger. It fired when you pulled the trigger and when you release the trigger. Effectively doubling the firing rate. Bump stocks have been banned. I would like to see binary triggers banned as well. 

Swear? 

He carries as much as Bernie does for the rogue Bernie bro that attempted to  assassinate congressmen 

Love how Fox transforms to a straight news outfit when it’s a white male. Even now they say they have no name and no info on him. Riiiiiiight. 

I read the "manifesto" and to be honest he is saying what I hear everyday. 

Hispanics bad,  Flooding America, Actually the Hispanic community was not my target before I read The Great Replacement,  The heavy Hispanic population in Texas will make us a Democrat stronghold,  immigration can only be detrimental to the future of America, .Hispanics will take control of the local and state government of my beloved Texas, changing policy to better suit their needs. They will turn Texas into an instrument of a political coup which will hasten the destruction of our country.

sound familiar? 
Texas Democrats last won statewide races in 1994

I am not focused on assigning percentages. Have at it. I know that treating helpless people like invaders, whipping his people into a frenzy, is not a way to act in our countries best interest. And he deserves to be criticized for his role, regardless of the percent that kcitons assigns.
This is a free country. The thing that many of you have is that Trump created these people. They were here before he arrived. It's why he got elected. As I mentioned, I would put more responsibility on previous shooters 

Texas Democrats last won statewide races in 1994
Doesn't have to be accurate.  Just people focus on what they want and run with it.   Lies and half truths will get people fired up.  People are not going to spend the time to actually look up on their own the truth.  The damage is done once it is said

Love how Fox transforms to a straight news outfit when it’s a white male. Even now they say they have no name and no info on him. Riiiiiiight. 
I'm not sure why Fox News is politicizing this event already. Or, are they just trying to distract where the real attention should be given? Study after study has already proven video games have zero effect on kids when it comes to mass shootings. I'd think a reporter would/should be well read in stuff like that.

This is a free country. The thing that many of you have is that Trump created these people. They were here before he arrived. It's why he got elected. As I mentioned, I would put more responsibility on previous shooters 
I don’t doubt that they were here before trump. I think he’s given them a voice, validated their opinions, and perhaps brought their concerns even heightened urgency. IOW he acted as a blowtorch to a brushfire. 

I don’t doubt that they were here before trump. I think he’s given them a voice, validated their opinions, and perhaps brought their concerns even heightened urgency. IOW he acted as a blowtorch to a brushfire. 
This begs the question. If guns were banned, what would these people do?

What’s the more appropriate, reasoned response, if not anger?
Anger is fine. Change, for the sake of change, and not for results, is the problem.

I've mentioned that we should take a hard look at the 1st and 4th Amendment (thanks to PS). This action is born out of hate. You blame Trump. But we know there is much worse out there. We need to stop the spread of hate through online platforms. We need to stand up and say that white supremacist groups are not allowed to march or assemble. Even at idle, they stand for hate. 

Can't we just make it a little more difficult for disturbed people to get their hands on assault weapons? We can all get on board with that, can't we? Can't we?
Someone will be along shortly, asking you to define disturbed people. 

They'll also point out that many of the mass shooters are not actually mentally ill. 

Can't we just make it a little more difficult for disturbed people to get their hands on assault weapons? We can all get on board with that, can't we? Can't we?
A lot of people think that the weapons of choice carry 0 weight in the discussion.  If they are disturbed, they will just use a knife or pool curse or cars or napalm.  

Someone will be along shortly, asking you to define disturbed people. 

They'll also point out that many of the mass shooters are not actually mentally ill. 
I don't think it'd be all that difficult to weed at least some of these people out through background checks.

The way KC talks, he is the only one around here coming up with solutions.  
There are plenty of people that are coming up with solutions. Most of them are just ban, ban, ban. 

@SFBayDuck had some nice suggestions. 

I've tried to find compromises within my solutions. 

BTW, if you're going to have someone on ignore, you should keep their name out your mouth. Otherwise, it looks like you don't have the willpower to ignore.

Is that what the unibomber did? Is that what the OKC bomber did. When people hate the way these people do, they find any way possible to act out. 
I didn’t understand your question, I was answering differently. If you’re asking where whackos will go when they can’t get a gun - I guess I don’t know. Nor do I care. How about we deal with that when we find out.

Users who are viewing this thread