What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (2 Viewers)

There are plenty of people that are coming up with solutions. Most of them are just ban, ban, ban. 

@SFBayDuck had some nice suggestions. 

I've tried to find compromises within my solutions. 

BTW, if you're going to have someone on ignore, you should keep their name out your mouth. Otherwise, it looks like you don't have the willpower to ignore.
Isn’t a ban a solution too? 

I didn’t understand your question, I was answering differently. If you’re asking where whackos will go when they can’t get a gun - I guess I don’t know. Nor do I care. How about we deal with that when we find out.
A few of these guys have tried to use bombs in these attacks without success.  Turns out it's hard to go this route.  

Guns are used for this stuff for the same reason we use them for defense- they are a good combo of easy to use, easy to buy, and lethal at a distance so we dont have to engage with someone in close quarters.    I find it very hard to believe the same # of deaths would occur with or without guns.  

Isn’t a ban a solution too? 
It is. 

Is there any compromise to the millions of law abiding gun owners in this country? Those like myself that keep their guns under lock and key. Those that go to work, pay their taxes, never committed a crime their entire life? We know that there are people in this country that are filled with hate. They share it on social media. We know there are people in this country that are mentally unstable. We know there are people in this country that shouldn't be allowed to own firearms due to past criminal history. With all that knowledge, we can't figure out a better way to determine who should or shouldn't have a gun. So, the answer is to take them away from everyone.

Can you unpack this?  HTF you get white self loathing guy from a mass shooting thread I can't wait to hear.

And yet, Trump supporters still wonder why we don't always have the highest opinion of them.
There is one guy in here keeps leaning on the WHITE GUY. 

Oh the didn’t shoot him , of course WHITE GUY

There have been a lot of different things discussed. When I suggest that banning assault weapons won't decrease the number of mass shootings and will lead to more bans. People here say, lets try and see what happens. By contrast, everyone here seems to agree on universal background checks. Why shouldn't we start there and see what happens before moving on to a ban?

There have been a lot of different things discussed. When I suggest that banning assault weapons won't decrease the number of mass shootings and will lead to more bans. People here say, lets try and see what happens. By contrast, everyone here seems to agree on universal background checks. Why shouldn't we start there and see what happens before moving on to a ban?
Sounds like a plan. And let’s start staffing the agencies fully. And allow research into gun violence to be government funded. Let’s deal with the issue, with all plans of attack open.

I have no idea! The Hispanics I’ve encountered are good people with very similar ideas and goals as my suburban community. I have no idea what the objection to them are.
Me too. There are good ones and bad ones, just like whites,blacks & asians. 

Only problem I have with illegal immigrants is when the run afoul with the law , and I don’t mean parking ticket type stuff, they are deported. For the most part they are hard working family people who are religious 

Well, a ban will and does work since a ban has been done before. A Republican President started banning semi-auto weapons that did not have a sporting purpose. Congress banned assault guns in 1994 for ten years before the ban simply lapsed. The country and the people would be far better off without assault guns floating around, and my personal wish for all guns to be banned. Ironic, but what harm would banning assault guns do?

Sounds like a plan. And let’s start staffing the agencies fully. And allow research into gun violence to be government funded. Let’s deal with the issue, with all plans of attack open.
Somehow, I think you believe I am against the bolded?

I suggested a .05% wellness tax on all gun and alcohol sales in this country. That would be an estimated $15 bil annually to fund research, mental health programs, staffing, etc. 

Well, a ban will and does work since a ban has been done before. A Republican President started banning semi-auto weapons that did not have a sporting purpose. Congress banned assault guns in 1994 for ten years before the ban simply lapsed. The country and the people would be far better off without assault guns floating around, and my personal wish for all guns to be banned. Ironic, but what harm would banning assault guns do?
Looks like most studies didn't find a noticeable impact on crime during the ban.

Lots of information here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assault_Weapons_Ban

Harm? None. Maybe there are some people that rely on an assault rifle to protect their livestock. Personally, I have concerns as to some of the proposed terminology that people are using to define assault rifles. A few of my hunting rifles would be caught up in that net. 

The ban worked. Somewhat. We have a completely different society today. So, we can't say with certainty that it would have a big effect. What we do know is that some states have bans already on certain guns. People complain about Chicago and California gun deaths. They have strict laws, but criminals circumvent those laws by going to another state to get a gun. Why wouldn't those same criminals (especially mass shooters) circumvent the law by using a handgun or some other method to act out their hate? 

Somehow, I think you believe I am against the bolded?

I suggested a .05% wellness tax on all gun and alcohol sales in this country. That would be an estimated $15 bil annually to fund research, mental health programs, staffing, etc. 
I have no idea how you feel. I was just thinking of some of the approaches that republicans and the gun lobby have put in place to stymie real investigation into gun violence solutions. If we are going to take an honest look at it, we need to stop putting up barriers.

OK, great. Let's do it already.
Let's be clear. There have been a lot of gun regulations in the last 2 years, than I've seen in most of my life. They just aren't happening on the federal level. Many states are enacting laws around background checks, magazine capacity, storage requirements and assault weapons. I think this is the best way to handle this. Montana may not need the same gun regulations as someone in NYC. 

Let's be clear. There have been a lot of gun regulations in the last 2 years, than I've seen in most of my life. They just aren't happening on the federal level. Many states are enacting laws around background checks, magazine capacity, storage requirements and assault weapons. I think this is the best way to handle this. Montana may not need the same gun regulations as someone in NYC. 
You can’t have a patchwork of state regulations and not expect interstate commerce to undermine state regulation.

You can’t have a patchwork of state regulations and not expect interstate commerce to undermine state regulation.
Same can be applied to international commerce. 

Can we ban guns globally? I've been saying for awhile that someone will fill the vacuum. The same way they did with drugs. 

The solution to this problem is investing the resources to determine why someone would want to kill a bunch of strangers. This is the win-win solution. 

We obviously need to go further and we need it to happen quickly. How many more mass shootings are we going to have until enough is enough?

We obviously need to go further and we need it to happen quickly. How many more mass shootings are we going to have until enough is enough?
Here is your answer. 

Law enforcement was analyzing the shooter's document before the shooting began but were unable to verify the author’s identity or potential target in advance.

The first reply to the posting on 8chan was “hello FBI.”

Does anyone think the war on guns would be any different than the war on drugs?

Since Nixon declared war on drugs in 1971, the United States has spent roughly $1 trillion on the war on drugs. The end result? Let's legalize drugs. 

You said we need to go further and quickly. Bucky's post shows that the police were close to identifying this shooter. Perhaps another hour or another day would have given them time to prevent this shooting. 

I think you took my post as responding to your question of how many more mass shootings. We've already agreed that zero is the number we all want. But, do we know if there will be 1 more mass shooting this year or 100 more? At this point it's random, but not undetectable. 

Again, statistically people with a mental illness are FAR more likely to hurt themselves than others.  I don't think they are both correct with the same implications to the mass shooting issue.  
I agree with you that the amount of guns is the bigger issue, no question. As long as there are as many guns as there are in this country, and the ease of access to them remains, nothing will change. I’m just advocating for mental health as well. I realize that the mental health part of the equation is much tougher to analyze and diagnose. 

Interesting that the overt (stealthy) and covert (Jon_mx) trump supporters are keeping a low profile tonight. There’s no defending their boy today.

You said we need to go further and quickly. Bucky's post shows that the police were close to identifying this shooter. Perhaps another hour or another day would have given them time to prevent this shooting. 

I think you took my post as responding to your question of how many more mass shootings. We've already agreed that zero is the number we all want. But, do we know if there will be 1 more mass shooting this year or 100 more? At this point it's random, but not undetectable. 
Doesn't seem random to me. It's usually a young guy who has no prospects in life and can't get laid. Very detectable.

Does anyone think the war on guns would be any different than the war on drugs?

Since Nixon declared war on drugs in 1971, the United States has spent roughly $1 trillion on the war on drugs. The end result? Let's legalize drugs. 
It’s a lot harder to secretly manufacture a gun than secretly harvest a plant.

It’s a lot harder to secretly manufacture a gun than secretly harvest a plant.
That just means the end product has a higher price. 

I've posted more than once that California is starting to see a problem with ghost guns since their stricter regulations. It wasn't possible to 3d print during the last assault weapons ban. 

It is. 

Is there any compromise to the millions of law abiding gun owners in this country? Those like myself that keep their guns under lock and key. Those that go to work, pay their taxes, never committed a crime their entire life? We know that there are people in this country that are filled with hate. They share it on social media. We know there are people in this country that are mentally unstable. We know there are people in this country that shouldn't be allowed to own firearms due to past criminal history. With all that knowledge, we can't figure out a better way to determine who should or shouldn't have a gun. So, the answer is to take them away from everyone.
How about just the “pew pew” ones. Keep the bolt action rifles, shotguns and pistols? Seems pretty fair! 

And can we stop electing leaders whose first inclination is to evoke the invisible man in the sky when a mass murder like this occurs? That press conference, at least the part when the governor spoke, was embarrassing.
New Zealand elected, Jacinda Ardern, an agnostic. Her response to the Christchurch attack, both verbal and policy-wise, was excellent. "They are us." "I... still have faith in humanity..." And the law banning most semi-automatic weapons.

Users who are viewing this thread