What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (2 Viewers)

I agree with you that the amount of guns is the bigger issue, no question. As long as there are as many guns as there are in this country, and the ease of access to them remains, nothing will change. I’m just advocating for mental health as well. I realize that the mental health part of the equation is much tougher to analyze and diagnose. 
We are in agreement, especially with the bolded.  

How about just the “pew pew” ones. Keep the bolt action rifles, shotguns and pistols? Seems pretty fair! 
Are you talking about all pistols? Including semi-automatic pistols, or just revolvers? 

Did you know that there is an AR pistol? Exactly the same as an AR15 rifle, but it must have a barrel shorter than 16 inches and an overall length less than 26 inches. It cannot have a butt stock (the part that goes against your shoulder). Everything else is the same. Since the AR15 doesn't have a heavy recoil (kick) it's pretty easy to fire 30 rounds down range accurately. 

Does anyone think the war on guns would be any different than the war on drugs?

Since Nixon declared war on drugs in 1971, the United States has spent roughly $1 trillion on the war on drugs. The end result? Let's legalize drugs. 
Why are drinks and guns similar?   Can you get addicted to guns?

El Paso

Gilroy

Philadelphia

Charlottesville

Christchurch

All murderers with racist intent. All followers of trump who cited his beliefs as support for their actions.
Both sides do it. Can't stop/prevent one because the other side does it to. (Fun fact - no, the other side doesn't.)

This is the kind of hate that needs to be rooted out and squashed. Warning: there are some racial slurs in this video. 

How many other people are posting stuff like this and it doesn't get reported? Then they commit a mass shooting and everyone complains that it's the guns fault. Or that there's no way to predict them. 
Correct and that's not protected by the first amendment. But a lot of hate filled videos are protected. Per Nick Cavanaugh on MSNBC, what we know now about this shooter was not actionable.

Why are drinks drugs and guns similar?   Can you get addicted to guns?
I guess you could be addicted to guns. I don't know the physiological requirements for addiction. 

I was comparing them based on resources, law enforcement, incarceration, etc. 

Correct and that's not protected by the first amendment. But a lot of hate filled videos are protected. Per Nick Cavanaugh on MSNBC, what we know now about this shooter was not actionable.
Make it actionable? What is the better use of money and resources, taking action against people that post hate videos and write hate manifestos, or spending 10x the money trying to take guns out of the hands of law abiding gun owners?

Make it actionable? What is the better use of money and resources, taking action against people that post hate videos and write hate manifestos, or spending 10x the money trying to take guns out of the hands of law abiding gun owners?
They’re law abiding up until the mass murder. How do you know who Will remain and who won’t?

Right, with freedom of speech or guns, it comes with responsibility. That’s what makes this such a difficult problem to address. 

Are you talking about all pistols? Including semi-automatic pistols, or just revolvers? 

Did you know that there is an AR pistol? Exactly the same as an AR15 rifle, but it must have a barrel shorter than 16 inches and an overall length less than 26 inches. It cannot have a butt stock (the part that goes against your shoulder). Everything else is the same. Since the AR15 doesn't have a heavy recoil (kick) it's pretty easy to fire 30 rounds down range accurately. 
Why does any gun need 30 rounds?

30 home intruders?

30 deer to shoot?

Honestly, I've always thought the 17 rounds in a pistol is way more than enough. 

Me too. There are good ones and bad ones, just like whites,blacks & asians. 

Only problem I have with illegal immigrants is when the run afoul with the law , and I don’t mean parking ticket type stuff, they are deported. For the most part they are hard working family people who are religious 
You know I believe you mean this. But I am mystified how you can feel this way and still support Donald Trump. 

I guess you could be addicted to guns. I don't know the physiological requirements for addiction. 

I was comparing them based on resources, law enforcement, incarceration, etc. 
I know what you are trying to say, but I think the underlying demand for both products is informed so differently and based on such different factors, that any comparison is meaningless.  

They’re law abiding up until the mass murder. How do you know who Will remain and who won’t?
They're innocent until proven guilty. 

With total number of guns and ammo in the possession of civilians in this country, if the gun was the sole factor, we'd all be dead by now. 

You're comment can be applied to any number of things to justify bans. 

They're innocent until proven guilty. 

With total number of guns and ammo in the possession of civilians in this country, if the gun was the sole factor, we'd all be dead by now. 

You're comment can be applied to any number of things to justify bans. 
The point is that calling people “law abiding gun owners” is kinda missing the point.

Why does any gun need 30 rounds?

30 home intruders?

30 deer to shoot?

Honestly, I've always thought the 17 rounds in a pistol is way more than enough. 
They don't. The problem I see with magazine restrictions is that decreasing it to 10 or 15 won't make that much of a difference. Reloading can be achieved very quickly. Instead of 30 rounds in 1 magazine, you have 30 rounds in 2 or 3 magazines. 

How do you weed through the BS and the posturing?  Decide who are venting or living cathartically vs. who is going to do something about it?  Are there certain words or phrases we ban?  Like you said - they are law abiding until they aren't, but it seems like there are many from the other side that like to throw out "law abiding citizens" in their argument of why we shouldn't infringe on another one of the amendments.  

The point is that calling people “law abiding gun owners” is kinda missing the point.
No it's not. It's pretty clear. You're either within the law or you're a criminal. I've said that I don't want criminals having guns. 

But, most people are law abiding, until they aren't. Doesn't matter if it's a gun, a rapist, a thief, or urinating in public. 

One lunatic tries to blow up a plane with exploding shoes and almost immediately people are required to take their shoes off before they get on a plane.

Mass shooting after mass shooting...hundreds dead...and “well this is a complicated issue and I really need my guns”.  
Terrible analogy. 

They didn't ban people from flying on planes. They just added a level of security through additional screening. (IE a universal background check)

No it's not. It's pretty clear. You're either within the law or you're a criminal. I've said that I don't want criminals having guns. 

But, most people are law abiding, until they aren't. Doesn't matter if it's a gun, a rapist, a thief, or urinating in public. 
So - by your own words, you were just as law abiding as Patrick Crusius until earlier today. And yet you think it realistic to prevent a gun from getting in his hands and still getting you one? What about the guy without a manifesto as a warning?

They don't. The problem I see with magazine restrictions is that decreasing it to 10 or 15 won't make that much of a difference. Reloading can be achieved very quickly. Instead of 30 rounds in 1 magazine, you have 30 rounds in 2 or 3 magazines. 
I agree.  To me, the issue is that in America going to Walmart means that you have to at least consider the possibility that you could be shopping with one (or multiple people) that could be carrying firearms.  Or some loon who brought a semi automatic weapon.  

Bananas.  Jesus Christ.  

So - by your own words, you were just as law abiding as Patrick Crusius until earlier today. And yet you think it realistic to prevent a gun from getting in his hands and still getting you one? What about the guy without a manifesto as a warning?
Are you serious? I wasn't spewing hate. 

So whats the problem with reducing it to 10 or 15 then?
Nothing. I don't think it will help reduce the number of mass shootings and probably won't reduce the number or deaths. 

I've said it before, I suggested a magazine capacity of 6 for all guns. That makes everything on the same level as a revolver. It allows 99% of all hunters to continue to use their guns. 

I had suggested limiting assault rifles to 22 caliber. They sell a conversion kit to make current AR15's 22 caliber. This would reduce the effective killing power of the gun. It would allow the owners to keep the gun. Win-win.

Nothing. I don't think it will help reduce the number of mass shootings and probably won't reduce the number or deaths. 

I've said it before, I suggested a magazine capacity of 6 for all guns. That makes everything on the same level as a revolver. It allows 99% of all hunters to continue to use their guns. 

I had suggested limiting assault rifles to 22 caliber. They sell a conversion kit to make current AR15's 22 caliber. This would reduce the effective killing power of the gun. It would allow the owners to keep the gun. Win-win.
This is a good start.  

Out with it.

I'm sure you're preparing to circle back to blaming Trump.

I still don't agree. You can influence through words. But, words don't kill. It was the actions of the shooter that took those lives. Nothing else.
I was simply shocked that you thought he’d done anything illegal in posting anti-immigrant writings. He hadn’t. No more so than trump has.

I accidently clicked on unignore.  Not sure what the point of the function is anyway if you are quoted in every other post in here.  ;)

If I remember right, you HAD suggested all these, but then said that the solution is mental health after all your research you did.  Didn't you say that you were against bans and modifications of these sorts and we just need to focus on UBCs and mental health?

I was simply shocked that you thought he’d done anything illegal in posting anti-immigrant writings. He hadn’t. No more so than trump has.
I'm not a fan of Trump. Whether my candidate wins or not, I always hope for the best from the President of our country. I don't agree with things he says. And yes, some of the things he says are not positive. But, I don't believe that he carries the responsibility for the deaths caused by this shooter.

It's okay that we don't agree on this. 

Users who are viewing this thread