What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (2 Viewers)

This is false. 

What's the percentage up to of people that want universal background checks? 80%. There are gun owners in that group. 
Incorrect.  Gun people are against any more gun restrictions and think the solution is more good guys with guns.  If you don't know this you need to read other, more gun friendly, forums. 

If you’re wondering why most here either have you on ignore or refuse to engage with you, this is one of the reasons (the other is your ridiculous analogies). Mental health isn’t the only reason and you know it. You’ll do whatever argumentative gymnastics it takes to protect your rights to own guns. We are no more mentally ill than other nations, but we do have more guns than anyone. It’s the main issue. If you were willing to admit that, maybe more people around here would take you seriously. 
I've never said we don't have more guns than anyone else. 

I have said that we are unique as a nation. Many months ago, I said the reason we have this problem is due to unbridled freedom. In a way, that encompasses the "more guns" than anyone. We don't impede on anyone's freedoms here. You are free to spread hate, you are free to sow dissent, you are free to own things that cause harm to other people. 

I've said we should be changing other amendments to squash the spread of hate. Others would rather concentrate on changing the 2nd Amendment. It's two different approaches to the same problem. People don't engage in this conversation with me because they are just like me. They have a narrow vision on how to correct this problem. They think they are right and I am wrong. I think the same of them. 

I have said over and over that I am looking for a win-win compromise that reduces mass shootings. Based on the amount of traffic in this thread over the last week, I would assume that is what everyone wants? For every compromise I've suggested (magazine capacity of 6, caliber limits, universal background checks, tax on guns and alcohol for mental health programs) there are 10x the responses that just say ban guns. But, we know it's not that simple. I've given a bunch of reasons why. Those are just ignored and they continue with ban the guns. Who's really having an honest conversation? 

Incorrect.  Gun people are against any more gun restrictions and think the solution is more good guys with guns.  If you don't know this you need to read other, more gun friendly, forums. 
There are gun people here. I'm for universal background checks. As are a lot of other gun owners here. 

I could probably find some hateful rhetoric on different boards as well. It doesn't mean that applies to all people.

were there these types of shootings in the 50's?  

Also how come  there isnt the same outrage at homicide rates in inner cities?

There are gun people here. I'm for universal background checks. As are a lot of other gun owners here. 

I could probably find some hateful rhetoric on different boards as well. It doesn't mean that applies to all people.
Agreed.  But have you seen those videos from Trump rallies?  That kind of rhetoric is found on Trump supporting boards.  Those boards universally believe that more guns are needed so the good guy with a gun can kill the bad guy with a gun after the bad guys "only" killed a few people. 

Agreed.  But have you seen those videos from Trump rallies?  That kind of rhetoric is found on Trump supporting boards.  Those boards universally believe that more guns are needed so the good guy with a gun can kill the bad guy with a gun after the bad guys "only" killed a few people. 
Two things in your post. You're taking examples of the extremes and disregarding a large group of other gun owners (hunters). There are nearly 14 million hunters that go out into the woods each year. The average number of deaths (usually accidental) is around 75. That's a very small percentage. And they weren't accidental. Total number of gun owners is somewhere around 50 million. I don't agree with the stats used to compile, but mass shootings are somewhere around 200 per year. Again, very small averages. To hear people say they are afraid to go the mall or a movie theater is ridiculous. They have a better chance of dying in a car accident or getting hit by lighting. 

A good guy with a gun is what stops a bad guy with a gun. Usually, it's the police. I don't think people should carry a gun so that they can jump in and stop a mass shooter. I don't conceal carry myself, mainly because I think the potential need is minuscule. Trying to stop a mass shooter on your own would open up too many other liabilities. Getting shot yourself by LE or shooting an innocent person by mistake would not make it worth it. The first response to an active shooter should be to flee. If you can't flee, then shelter in place. If you are found, then fight. At the point that you have to fight, that is where a gun would be effective. 

Just off the top of my head.

Charles Starkweather.  (from my home state). Maybe not a mass shooter. 
One?  So perhaps something has changed in our society.  I'm sure Im going to be ridiculed but I think it's God.  The farther we get away as a nation from our Christian beliefs and morals the worse this nation will become/ has become.

But alas Just a few pages ago someone here referred to God 'the invisible man in the sky'.  

I'd also like to throw out there a question:  What would reduce gun crimes more, more laws or more fathers in the homes?

Mass shootings per decade in the US:

1900s : 0

1910s: 2

1920s: 2

1930s: 9

1940s: 8

1950s: 1

1960s: 6

1970s: 13

1980s: 32

1990s: 42

2000s: 28

There have now been 22 mass shootings so far THIS YEAR.

This is an epidemic.

One?  So perhaps something has changed in our society.  I'm sure Im going to be ridiculed but I think it's God.  The farther we get away as a nation from our Christian beliefs and morals the worse this nation will become/ has become.

But alas Just a few pages ago someone here referred to God 'the invisible man in the sky'.  

I'd also like to throw out there a question:  What would reduce gun crimes more, more laws or more fathers in the homes?
Europe has become even less Christian than the US and they don't have these issues

How did believing in god help violence during the crusades, slavery, etc?

Pretty sure it's not the country believing less in god. 

1. I don’t think assault rifles were that prolific in the 1950s. 

2. Because they’re rates and not mass shootings. 
1)  Not sure but i believe you could legally own tompson machine guns in the 50's.  Though it was extremely expensive and not widely owned.

2)  Still sad none the less.

Just read, regarding Dayton:

- 9 killed, 26 injured - Mayor says shooter was wearing body armor, carrying extra magazines - Police say officers got to the shooter in under 1 minute

This is insane. 

True but that is to acknowledge that guns are a major part of the problem and that knives, bombs and cars would never replace what guns do
I highly doubt law enforcement would even try to enforce a confiscation. Too worried about getting shot.  Compliance would be near zero. There would absolutely be a revolt.  It is our right, just as important as free speech.  Heck it guarantees free speech to some. 

Two things in your post. You're taking examples of the extremes and disregarding a large group of other gun owners (hunters). There are nearly 14 million hunters that go out into the woods each year. The average number of deaths (usually accidental) is around 75. That's a very small percentage. And they weren't accidental. Total number of gun owners is somewhere around 50 million. I don't agree with the stats used to compile, but mass shootings are somewhere around 200 per year. Again, very small averages. To hear people say they are afraid to go the mall or a movie theater is ridiculous. They have a better chance of dying in a car accident or getting hit by lighting. 

A good guy with a gun is what stops a bad guy with a gun. Usually, it's the police. I don't think people should carry a gun so that they can jump in and stop a mass shooter. I don't conceal carry myself, mainly because I think the potential need is minuscule. Trying to stop a mass shooter on your own would open up too many other liabilities. Getting shot yourself by LE or shooting an innocent person by mistake would not make it worth it. The first response to an active shooter should be to flee. If you can't flee, then shelter in place. If you are found, then fight. At the point that you have to fight, that is where a gun would be effective. 
Good guys with guns haven’t been stopping the bad guys with guns :rolleyes:

I highly doubt law enforcement would even try to enforce a confiscation. Too worried about getting shot.  Compliance would be near zero. There would absolutely be a revolt.  It is our right, just as important as free speech.  Heck it guarantees free speech to some. 
I didn't say anything about changing the law, just acknowledging the role of guns

Are you sure about that?
Am I mistaken on the statistics? Are the knife murder rates and mass murder with knife rates in Europe on par with our gun crimes?

Good guys with guns haven’t been stopping the bad guys with guns :rolleyes:
Did you read what I wrote?

What's changed?.... Our country's gun possession has grown to 50% of all the world's guns.... largely because god believing people buy so many guns. 

I didn't say anything about changing the law, just acknowledging the role of guns

Am I mistaken on the statistics? Are the knife murder rates and mass murder with knife rates in Europe on par with our gun crimes?
They do bombs and trucks over there

They do bombs and trucks over there
Yes but the murder rates are much lower. Canada as well. We don't hear of mass knivings or bombings in Canada or Europe nearly as often as have these attacks here now. And those countries are less Christian than we are so I think your premise was flawed. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry. I took your statement as criminals wouldn't use a knife instead of a gun. Which is happening in Europe. 

1970s: 13     <---------  SO, what started the change, and why did it accelerate?  

This is an epidemic.
Also, 28 for the 00s seem low.  How many from this decade so far?

Well less violent video games would help

A better mental health system and reporting of people with issues

Social media monitoring of suspicious posts could be better

Stronger family life, fathers

ESPN reported that 62 percent of youths don’t play sports, what are they doing

laws help but we have to stop the violence before it happens, not punish after

Here's your answer.

Another one?  JFC!

Sorry. I took your statement as criminals wouldn't use a knife instead of a gun. Which is happening in Europe. 
Ok, I think you just caught the middle of a conversation. Boots was saying these mass killings were because we aren't as religious as we used to be but I pointed out Europe is less religious and yet has less murder.

Nobody’s talking about confiscation. But you don’t have a right to own an assault rifle. 

Just a reminder that Trump and the GOP cut funding for a program called CVE - Countering Violent Extremism. They re-allocated the money from white domestic extremism and focused totally on foreign, middle eastern, Muslim extremism. They did so contrary to the data that showed that far right terrorism was a much greater domestic threat.

Bake a pie, eat a pie.

1970s: 13

This is an epidemic.
I 'm going to throw out another theory. War and/or drugs?

Things seemed to ramp up at the end of the Vietnam war. We know the effects that war has on our veterans. 

Newtown was the last time I cried from national news (9/11 and Challenger being the other times). Like others here have mentioned, the lack of any change after that event kind of numbed me as well.

But this is ridiculous. We are a sick society and regardless of whether there are other factors involved we need to start taking action now with common sense gun laws. There needs to be more discussion and implementation of solutions to this problem by our leaders and less platitudes.

Also, music sometimes helps me deal with emotions: Link

Users who are viewing this thread