What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (3 Viewers)

I 'm going to throw out another theory. War and/or drugs?

Things seemed to ramp up at the end of the Vietnam war. We know the effects that war has on our veterans. 
I do not have stats but aren't most of these recent shooters young people who no military experience?

You think that using an expression like JFC indicates a religious attitude one way or another? 
I was being sarcastic. Especially with the timing of the two posts.

But, in it's simplest terms, this breaks the 2nd Commandment. Though shalt not take the lords name in vein.

I didn't say anything about changing the law, just acknowledging the role of guns

Am I mistaken on the statistics? Are the knife murder rates and mass murder with knife rates in Europe on par with our gun crimes?
SC has brought up London's "knife problem" a handful of times.   A stat I saw had an all-time high last year of 285 deaths in England and Wales.   Granted, a smaller population too.  

I do not have stats but aren't most of these recent shooters young people who no military experience?

Okay... let's go with this logic.

How many mass shootings have been done by war veterans?
It doesn't have to be actual veterans. It could be the exposure to war coverage on TV. It certainly could be applied to a political stance on war. 

I would also be curious to see if how many of these shooters have veteran parents. We know things like racism get passed down. 

You guys both glossed over the possibility of drugs?

One?  So perhaps something has changed in our society.  I'm sure Im going to be ridiculed but I think it's God.  The farther we get away as a nation from our Christian beliefs and morals the worse this nation will become/ has become.

But alas Just a few pages ago someone here referred to God 'the invisible man in the sky'.  

I'd also like to throw out there a question:  What would reduce gun crimes more, more laws or more fathers in the homes?
I have an emoji for you.  Lots of them.

It doesn't have to be actual veterans. It could be the exposure to war coverage on TV. It certainly could be applied to a political stance on war. 

I would also be curious to see if how many of these shooters have veteran parents. We know things like racism get passed down. 

I didn't gloss over anything. I do think that we in general are a violent country- including as a politcal Nation plays a role. 

Sorry. I took your statement as criminals wouldn't use a knife instead of a gun. Which is happening in Europe. 
I’m sorry, but these arguments are stupid. No one is killing 20 people with a knife. These people are sick, sure, and they are going online and finding all this garbage to read and get all worked up. I don’t know how to quantify it, but (most) seem to have been taken in by right wing extreme rhetoric, and are attacking. We are under attack by right wing terrorists. We have members of the Republican Party trying to take away voting rights of citizens so they can stay in power, manipulating the electorate. Racism is being defended, normalized, even being called patriotic. Free speech protections for hate spewers, “they’re taking away our voice!” “They’re censoring conservatives!” People driving cars into peaceful protests, shooting up concerts, festivals, spreading fear and terror. Let’s call it what it is.

Look at what you’re supporting. How can you live with yourself. 

It's an interesting theory. Can you provide any data to support it?

God vs Laws is really just the same thing. One is an internal factor that makes one follow rules, the other is an external factor.

I was being sarcastic. Especially with the timing of the two posts.

But, in it's simplest terms, this breaks the 2nd Commandment. Though shalt not take the lords name in vein.
If that bothers you I'm sure the one about not coveting my neighbors wife would really turn you away from someone that breaks that commandment...

Being sarcastic...kinda

At least for now, White House reporters are not expected to see President Trump today until he departs his Bedminster golf course after 4 pm.

Leadership!
Trump criticizes Trump... and there's a Tweet for everything...

Trump has enough Tweets about Obama and golf, I bet Reddit is running wild bringing his Tweets back about your comment above.

I’m sorry, but these arguments are stupid. No one is killing 20 people with a knife. These people are sick, sure, and they are going online and finding all this garbage to read and get all worked up. I don’t know how to quantify it, but (most) seem to have been taken in by right wing extreme rhetoric, and are attacking. We are under attack by right wing terrorists. We have members of the Republican Party trying to take away voting rights of citizens so they can stay in power, manipulating the electorate. Racism is being defended, normalized, even being called patriotic. Free speech protections for hate spewers, “they’re taking away our voice!” “They’re censoring conservatives!” People driving cars into peaceful protests, shooting up concerts, festivals, spreading fear and terror. Let’s call it what it is.

Look at what you’re supporting. How can you live with yourself. 
First off. Show me where I said someone is killing 20 people with a knife? I corrected my statement.  I think that was clear.

Secondly, I live with myself just fine. I will ask you again to show me where I support anything in regards to guns? I hunt. Which actually supports our environment and parks. I haven't belonged to the NRA in decades.  I don't see gun deaths as being any different than other types of deaths. We could prevent them all by banning certain things. But, we don't. As a society, we've established a risk/reward quotient.  Trying to guilt trip me into agreeing with you won't work. It's okay to have emotion, just not when it comes to making important decisions.

The response by some of the media as well as people, to me, is remarkable. Mass shootings, political implications, rhetoric from wherever, and people respond with, "only a few are dead," or, "what about all the good gun owners," or, "whatever other excuse is offered up. We need to have the balls that New Zealand has.

It's an interesting theory. Can you provide any data to support it?
Didn't after Vietnam the war coverage get clamped down?   I think if it was a psychological effect of the veterans coming back either they themselves would be committing the crimes or their kids would be (angered by the state the parents come back in, if there was violence due to trauma from the war that the parents inflicted on the kids, etc.. )  Problem is, most of these shooter would have been born in the 90s+.  

I also haven't heard many reports of these shooters being on drugs (well, maybe prescription drugs?) or drunk at the time.   They seem to know what they are doing and plan it out.  

If that bothers you I'm sure the one about not coveting my neighbors wife would really turn you away from someone that breaks that commandment...

Being sarcastic...kinda
Who says it bothers me? I was just pointing out the irony of one poster asking about God's role, when 15 minutes after his post someone posted JFC.

First off. Show me where I said someone is killing 20 people with a knife? I corrected my statement.  I think that was clear.

Secondly, I live with myself just fine. I will ask you again to show me where I support anything in regards to guns? I hunt. Which actually supports our environment and parks. I haven't belonged to the NRA in decades.  I don't see gun deaths as being any different than other types of deaths. We could prevent them all by banning certain things. But, we don't. As a society, we've established a risk/reward quotient.  Trying to guilt trip me into agreeing with you won't work. It's okay to have emotion, just not when it comes to making important decisions.
I don’t have any problem with hunters and have expounded on the values taught and the bonds created when hunting and the place for guns in our society. I also think it’s time to talk about this for a few days without bringing up knives, duis, mental health or anything else. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read, regarding Dayton:

- 9 killed, 26 injured - Mayor says shooter was wearing body armor, carrying extra magazines - Police say officers got to the shooter in under 1 minute

This is insane. 
I'll take a different approach here. The fact that this shooter was able to do this much damage in this small amount of time is a key here. This fact, sadly, needs to be spread like wildfire. I'm pretty sure a knife wielding person could not do this much damage in a minute. Even a simple handgun could not do this much damage in a minute.

I don’t have any problem with hunters and have expounded on the values taught and the bonds created when hunting and the place for guns in our society. I also think it’s time to talk about this for a few days without bringing up knives, duis, mental health or anything else. 
For the record, I didn't bring up knives or duis. 

Ignoring the mental health portion is just being narrow minded. 

But, let's discuss your suggestions on how to regulate without creating problems for hunters. 

I'll take a different approach here. The fact that this shooter was able to do this much damage in this small amount of time is a key here. This fact, sadly, needs to be spread like wildfire. I'm pretty sure a knife wielding person could not do this much damage in a minute. Even a simple handgun could not do this much damage in a minute.
Yeah but he could've used a car and ran over a group of people if he wanted to

For the record, I didn't bring up knives or duis. 

Ignoring the mental health portion is just being narrow minded. 

But, let's discuss your suggestions on how to regulate without creating problems for hunters. 
There’s no easy answer man, you know this. But legislating any restrictions at all gets challenged immediately in court and since this is vaguely protected in the 2nd amendment it’s a lot harder to put things in place. 

Nobody’s talking about confiscation. But you don’t have a right to own an assault rifle. 
I am... voluntarily. My proposal and I am open for amendments but by December 31st of 2020, if you return an assault rifle... no questions asked. If you are caught after that date with an assault rifle... mandatory 10 year sentence... no questions asked. Assault gun makers can be sued if found to be at fault, goes for gun sellers as well. Zero grandfathering.

I have no problem with mental health being discussed, as clearly most (or pretty much all) of the shooters suffer from mental health.

What I think should be avoided is the assumption that we have solutions to mental health, and we should be focused on applying those solutions (that don't exist) to the gun issue. 

The mental health aspect of the issue is an argument for increased gun regulations as the freedom of those suffering from mental health issues to get easy access to guns is a major part of the problem. 

The El Paso guy had his "manifesto" ramblings posted. 

He used "Hispanic Invasion". This language is almost exactly the same stuff our President uses. Will Trump finally learn to shut it? No probably not.

Only way he will is if he gets told to shut the hell up by everyone. Not both sides, not false equivalencies, not silence. 

There’s no easy answer man, you know this. But legislating any restrictions at all gets challenged immediately in court and since this is vaguely protected in the 2nd amendment it’s a lot harder to put things in place. 
This is false. There are lots of cities and states that are implementing new laws. 

What is California's law on assault weapons? When did that go into effect? Why hasn't it been challenged and overturned in court?

Yeah but he could've used a car and ran over a group of people if he wanted to
Not sure if said in jest or sarcasm, but I believe the part of town in Ohio was a night hangout area... Saturday night bars and so forth. City planners would need to get out in front of this but Madison, WI, (and I'm sure other places) have a place called State Street. After a certain time of night, it is all walking/biking area. No cars, trucks, etc. I don't know if Madison did the following, but stores have those barriers (like these) in front... putting a bunch of these will help prevent cars/trucks in these walking zones.

Sigh, I’m not going to call this post what it is, because I enjoy the forums and don’t want to get banned.

So I’ll just ask you to name one poster here that is anti gun regulation. One

And when you can’t, maybe stop posting crap like that
Regulation in general, or against additional gun regulation?

What a coincidence. Manuel Oliver was in El Paso to unveil a mural to honor his son, Joaquin who was killed in Parkland, and to honor immigrants.

“You need to talk about guns, right now. You cannot wait because ‘it is too early to talk about guns,’ and not say ‘thoughts and prayer’ as an answer. Don’t do that,” Manuel Oliver said. “This advice is coming from the parents of a victim from Parkland.”

https://www.ktsm.com/local/el-paso-news/parents-of-slain-parkland-florida-teen-to-honor-son-by-painting-mural-in-el-paso-on-his-19th-birthday/

Users who are viewing this thread