What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (2 Viewers)

Not sure if said in jest or sarcasm, but I believe the part of town in Ohio was a night hangout area... Saturday night bars and so forth. City planners would need to get out in front of this but Madison, WI, (and I'm sure other places) have a place called State Street. After a certain time of night, it is all walking/biking area. No cars, trucks, etc. I don't know if Madison did the following, but stores have those barriers (like these) in front... putting a bunch of these will help prevent cars/trucks in these walking zones.
Yeah, it is much easier to protect large groups of people from rogue vehicles than guns. I wish our problem was with people trying to run over large crowds with cars. 

Not sure if said in jest or sarcasm, but I believe the part of town in Ohio was a night hangout area... Saturday night bars and so forth. City planners would need to get out in front of this but Madison, WI, (and I'm sure other places) have a place called State Street. After a certain time of night, it is all walking/biking area. No cars, trucks, etc. I don't know if Madison did the following, but stores have those barriers (like these) in front... putting a bunch of these will help prevent cars/trucks in these walking zones.
They just put up over 3000 of those on the Las Vegas strip. 1 person was killed and 37 people injured when a driver drove into a crowd a few years back.

Regulation in general, or against additional gun regulation?
Both? Either?

Every poster here that supports gun ownership has posted that they support making it more difficult to purchase guns, more background checks, etc

Am i incorrect? Has anyone been “anti regulation” here?

Apparently even though the mods/managers at 8chan have taken down the manifesto, Drudge Report with its massive following has it posted.
Yeah, I noticed that last night before I went to bed (and before the second shooting by a young white male in less than 24 hours). I think there's a line somewhere between reporting the contents of a manifesto like that and breathlessly copy/pasting the content into a raw text file and linking it in bold, red, 72pt font on a page visited by millions (and with some of that audience likely having at least a degree of sympathy with those views). Despicable.

Both? Either?

Every poster here that supports gun ownership has posted that they support making it more difficult to purchase guns, more background checks, etc

Everyone agrees, then why don't we do it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Both? Either?

I believe SC has said a few times that we have enough common sense gun laws and law abiding gun owners have given up enough and is against more regulation.  

Thank you for admitting (in your own way) that you were full of crap with your earlier post about our fellow board members

Enjoy the rest of your wkend 
I fully stand by my claim that there are people here that are anti-gun regulation. If you want to define what I mean by regulation, I mean regulations that every other developed and industrialized country has adopted. Those are regulations opposed by the NRA. 

They just put up over 3000 of those on the Las Vegas strip. 1 person was killed and 37 people injured when a driver drove into a crowd a few years back.
vs. 58/422 in the 2017 LV shooting.

ETA: 422 wounded but an estimated 851 injured in the chaos.

Compare that to the stats the last couple days, and I think people would be willing to take the risk with cars.  

Both? Either?

Not that I'm aware of. And, I've been here every day.  :bag:

The truth is, people here are angry. I get it. The events of the past week, along with all the mass shootings, are horrible tragedies. Many feel helpless and hopeless. They may have contacted their representatives already and now they wait. They believe nothing is happening, or not happening at the speed they desire. They are taking their frustrations out on the next best thing. Anyone that doesn't agree with them 100%. 

This is false. There are lots of cities and states that are implementing new laws. 

What is California's law on assault weapons? When did that go into effect? Why hasn't it been challenged and overturned in court?
I don’t live in California so I don’t know. 

Law gets challenged

Brief history of nra and it’s morph from promoting gun safety to advocating gun rights

Challenge in California (probably not what you’re taking about)

Challenge

So spare the inevitable “you aren’t qualified to talk about this” that I suspect you’re shooting for here. There are gun activists just like there are climate activists that will challenge in court and it goes to the letter of the constitution. 

I probably shouldn’t predict what your line of thought is here. I’ve just seen it before.

Yeah, I noticed that last night before I went to bed (and before the second shooting by a young white male in less than 24 hours). I think there's a line somewhere between reporting the contents of a manifesto like that and breathlessly copy/pasting the content into a raw text file and linking it in bold, red, 72pt font on a page visited by millions (and with some of that audience likely having at least a degree of sympathy with those views). Despicable.
Manifestos are written not to be some explanation of inner motives but to be spread.

And apparently in his manifesto he refers to being a believer in the Christchurch killer's manifesto, and this manifesto will likely influence someone else. And Drudge has it up on its megawatt feed specifically aimed at right wingers.

White supremacy is not a “mental health issue.”
I find this “mental health” argument to be somewhat disingenuous as well, for a few reasons. First, these mass shooters by definition (at least in its usage by pro gun rights right wingers) have mental health issues. It’s convenient that as a result “mental health” is always a readily available scapegoat.

Second, who has been responsible for cuts to mental health funding over the last several decades? Who has always looked to cutting funding for the most vulnerable amongst us (which includes those who have mental health issues) time after time, over the years? For these people to then turn around and “use” mental health as the cause of these mass shootings is infuriating.

For the record, I didn't bring up knives or duis. 

Ignoring the mental health portion is just being narrow minded. 

But, let's discuss your suggestions on how to regulate without creating problems for hunters. 
And for the record, without searching through a hundred pages of you talking about duis, you have brought it up as nauseam. And I quoted you taking about knife violence in England. 

I am... voluntarily. My proposal and I am open for amendments but by December 31st of 2020, if you return an assault rifle... no questions asked. If you are caught after that date with an assault rifle... mandatory 10 year sentence... no questions asked. Assault gun makers can be sued if found to be at fault, goes for gun sellers as well. Zero grandfathering.
Zero chance of happening 

Zero chance of happening 
Sure...but even tweaked, it won’t happen as long as the gun libby is as strong as it is.

And instead of a counter proposal...we just get, it wont happen. Nothing can be done.  And we move on til the next shooting.

This endless cycle needs to stop.

Incorrect.  Gun people are against any more gun restrictions and think the solution is more good guys with guns.  If you don't know this you need to read other, more gun friendly, forums. 
Maybe we’d all be more on the same page if you’d explain what you mean by “gun people.”  He said gun owners, of which I am one. And I can say without hesitation that I want more gun restrictions. 

Maybe we’d all be more on the same page if you’d explain what you mean by “gun people.”  He said gun owners, of which I am one. And I can say without hesitation that I want more gun restrictions. 
Of course

His is what’s known around here as a “sewer post”

Well the good thing for some of you is that nobody will care about this in about 2 or 3 days .  Like people have said before, the gun debate was dead after NOTHING was done after Sandy Hook

I still crack up that the only way to stop it is more "good guys with guns".   So  besides cops when are they are actually going to do that.  Are they too lazy to shoot back?  Do they not give a #### and worry about themselves?  

Well the good thing for some of you is that nobody will care about this in about 2 or 3 days .  Like people have said before, the gun debate was dead after NOTHING was done after Sandy Hook

I still crack up that the only way to stop it is more "good guys with guns".   So  besides cops when are they are actually going to do that.  Are they too lazy to shoot back?  Do they not give a #### and worry about themselves?  
I think we have started to run out of excuses and reasons when this last one was able to do that damage in 1 min before the cops arrived.  

I made the mistake of stumbling into the comments section of a local news Facebook page. Apparently the big talking point is that he was a registered Democrat and that’s all that matters. 

To hell with background checks. This country needs a complete gun ban for civilians.
There is some amazingly stupid stuff going on right now. Right now in Texas you can legally walk into a wal-mart or a mall with an assault rifle (and gun folks please do me a favor don't beat me up over the term, I just mean whatever gun it is that looks and acts like an actual assault rifle).

Thing is how are security or cops supposed to tell if someone is meaning to do harm when they see this?

I made the mistake of stumbling into the comments section of a local news Facebook page. Apparently the big talking point is that he was a registered Democrat and that’s all that matters. 
There is going to be a big push on the prime time Fox lineup to do just this pushback, guaranteed.

Don't know the the facts for that specific shooter, but every single shooting there are bad faith actors spamming outright fabrications about how every shooter is some antifa democrat when it happens. So far in most instances that does not turn out to be true.

Why can't some rich people line the pockets of politicians for gun reform?  
Because, while the intentions are good, the practice of paying off law makers is just as corrupt as the NRA.

However, if some billionaires manage to buy congresspersons to accomplish something good, I'm in favor of it.

Saving lives is more important than playing fair at politics.

I don’t live in California so I don’t know. 

Law gets challenged

Brief history of nra and it’s morph from promoting gun safety to advocating gun rights

Challenge in California (probably not what you’re taking about)

Challenge

So spare the inevitable “you aren’t qualified to talk about this” that I suspect you’re shooting for here. There are gun activists just like there are climate activists that will challenge in court and it goes to the letter of the constitution. 

I probably shouldn’t predict what your line of thought is here. I’ve just seen it before.
I was just pointing out that laws are getting tougher in a lot of places. Just because the Federal government hasn't done much (bump stocks) doesn't mean things aren't changing. You can't dispute that. 

And for the record, without searching through a hundred pages of you talking about duis, you have brought it up as nauseam. And I quoted you taking about knife violence in England. 
Recently. No. I also didn't bring up the knife discussion. It was in response to someone else. 

That's a common tactic -- spread misinformation about someone's party affiliation. In most states it's not even possible to lookup a person's party affiliation.

In front of the White House

Have not verified so forgive me of its earlier footage.

But voices or even silence can be powerful of enough people stand up to say enough.
You really think a silent protest is going to mean anything in this country.  We have kids that weren't even in high school slaughtered and NOTHING happened.  Hell not only did NOTHING happen but some of these idiots think it was fake.

We are selling bullet proof school backpacks right now to kids and people are just "well why didn't we think of this"

Caught a bit of CNN this morning, they had Rick Santorum on as the Administration defender. Kudos to them for immediately calling out his lies about the Administration "consistently denouncing violence" -- with quotes -- the best Santorum could manage was that the  (paraphrasing) "President's tone is all over the place, and he should do better."

You really think a silent protest is going to mean anything in this country.  We have kids that weren't even in high school slaughtered and NOTHING happened.  Hell not only did NOTHING happen but some of these idiots think it was fake.

We are selling bullet proof school backpacks right now to kids and people are just "well why didn't we think of this"
One protest?  No.

Thats why i said “if enough people”...though i had a typo and said of.

We need more people to stand up and say enough.  To call and wrote and talk to your representatives and say you've had enough.

Peacefully protest.  Let those elected know that we have had enough and of they won't enact change they will be replaced.

Those that think it is fake have been too vocal and and too effective and have gotten the support of their representatives.  That is what needs to change.  They must be drowned out and shown that they aren't in control anymore. That their message is wrong and is hurting our country.

Let’s find out

@Stealthycat

Are you against any form of more gun regulation ?
Lets talk about it

I'm telling you right now, if AR15 platform type guns are banned tomorrow it will have zero impact on people killing other people, and by that I mean the same numbers are going to exist. The El Paso and Dayton shooters would just have used different weapons or black market ones.

Tell me - 1 law please that we can pass right now that would stop a shooter tomorrow from going into your local wal-mart and killing people 

I'm listening 

I was just pointing out that laws are getting tougher in a lot of places. Just because the Federal government hasn't done much (bump stocks) doesn't mean things aren't changing. You can't dispute that. 

Recently. No. I also didn't bring up the knife discussion. It was in response to someone else. 
My apologies I’m regards to the knife thing then, I think it was at the top of the page and I failed to look back. I also apologize because I’m angry and I think some of that was directed at you, who posts a lot in defense of guns. I’m tired of the same talking points, misdirection, etc, even if it’s a relatable topic to the issue. You have often pointed a finger saying “if you care so much about life saving why aren’t you so worked up about duis?” or something to that effect. Well today is today, and you aren’t bringing it up, and it’s probably because it’s a poor argument a day after 30 people were killed. We need to make changes, and yes it will likely affect law abiding citizens. It’s worth the pain in your ###, to me. I don’t know what those changes should be, and it’s not my job to come up with those solutions, and I wish I could answer how to effectively do this with as little impact to law abiding people as possible. 

Users who are viewing this thread