What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (2 Viewers)

In total, 11 states passed laws in 2018 that restrict gun access to people linked to domestic violence, and eight states, plus the District of Columbia, created ways to temporarily keep guns from dangerous or “at risk” people, according to data from the Giffords Law Center, a gun control advocacy group.
Meanwhile in Texas you carry your rifle around on the street, in your car, or even bring it into a place of business.

Yep, I do like Neil deGrasse Tyson, but what a dork!

I liked Eric Weinstein's reply tweets (In my mind, I'm constantly getting Weinstein and @rockaction mixed up)
That's interesting. I indeed have analysis paralysis on this issue and have admitted it many times. The past day does nothing to really throw me for a loop; I've thought both what deGrasse Tyson thought and what Weinstein thought in the span of about ten minutes. That doesn't make me extra prescient or thoughtful, it means these things just run through my mind and there's no easy answer. I'm still hung up on the wording of the Second Amendment, textually. It's not a debate I'm often comfortable participating in because of the: 

1. Emotion of it
  2. The lack of knowledge I possess about it
Gun control is beyond my pay grade right now and is so fraught with problems to the approaching student that it's wildly difficult to get a grasp on. The Second Amendment doctrine is something we didn't cover in law school or school proper, and it deserves its own section in a con law course or could be an entire undergrad course in political philosophy and execution. 

That's about all I ever have really to say about it, other than these two broad things

1. I am deeply skeptical of unchecked power and force in the hands of government
  2. I am deeply skeptical of decentralizing this power and force into the hands of all citizens, especially the unstable
In short, my own thinking is a constant circle, never beginning never ending at a finite point.  

Not sure your point? Are you saying that there is no law to ban felons, mentally ill, committed individuals?

Did LA create a mechanism that wasn't there before? Is it removing guns from the hands of potential violent offenders?
We may not be disagreeing. I’m saying states are obviously doing these things here and there but just keep it going and make it consistent across all 50 states. 

Yes and yes. 

That's left up to the individual. 

It's been discussed quite a bit here. I've said that the traffic in this thread increases right after a shooting. The problem is still here in between each shooting. So, emotion is at least driving the discussion here. 
Of course.  That’s to be expected.

Meanwhile in Texas you carry your rifle around on the street, in your car, or even bring it into a place of business.

We may not be disagreeing. I’m saying states are obviously doing these things here and there but just keep it going and make it consistent across all 50 states. 

Yes and yes. 
Okay. I think we are on the same page. 

I asked the question earlier, you see Texas' laws as a problem (that one may well be a problem), but when it comes to determining what is best for the residents of each state, shouldn't those states be the ones to determine the laws? Montana is not the same as Manhattan. 

We know cities and states are changing laws. Those that are becoming stricter, many here applaud. But, those that are becoming looser, are questioned. If it's true, and 80% of the population wants tougher gun laws, how are laws in Texas not becoming stricter? I would suspect it's because the population density in certain areas are skewing he numbers. If it wasn't, and 80% of the people in Texas didn't want the looser gun laws, then they would be able to exact change in a single voting cycle. 

It bothers me that people discount the will of the majority. If 80% of Manhattan wants tougher gun laws, then the politicians that represent the people that live there, should do everything they can to enact those laws. By contrast if 80% of the people in Montana want looser gun laws, then the politicians should be working to represent their wishes. Currently we have a lot of people complaining that nothing is happening because they don't see any action in DC. This isn't a one size fits all. 

I'll take the 40 homicides over the 250 suicides, along with the focus on improvement and accessibility to mental health services, please.
When these attacks happen, there are some who bring up mental health genuinely and some who using it to deflect from conversations they don't want to have. Regardless of intent, it's incredible that we don't even commit to do anything about mental health. It seems like we don't do anything at all about it- not guns, not mental health, nothing.

Stop contributing to the NRA.  Contact your state representative and advocate for magazine capacity restrictions.  Ask for better background checks for purchasing firearms.  Ask for training to be required before purchasing firearms.  That training could also act as a psych eval.  If you don't like those come up with "something" yourself.

Your reply was almost perfect.  When the pendulum swings too far the other way, it will be because responsible gun owners like yourself did nothing to contribute to a solution.

I expect your reply to be something like, "but, but, but how is that going to STOP these killings.  The bad guys will still (get guns, use bombs, use trucks, use shotguns, use knives/axes/pointy sticks) "
I will always support the NRA, they are the only organization with the power to stop anti-gun zealots

magazine bans will not stop shooters and the background checks are a Federal thing and we already have them and they should be better but more so, they should be ENFORCED.

you want these crazies to be trained before they open fire? brilliant solution there

https://www.foxnews.com/us/7-people-shot-chicago-park-1-killed-3-wounded

nobody is talking much about Chicago - why ? because one, its Chicago and deaths are expected and two, very likely handguns and liberals can't use that for agenda

there is a problem with people that mass kill - I wish we could identify and stop them before they act and I am in favor or anything that can do that without breaching Constitutional Rights of course. 

attacking and putting laws and rules upon tens of millions of gun owners instead of focusing on the crazies? THAT is something I'll not support

Sure - and how often do you hear the phrase - the "few ruin it for the majority"

Gun culture needs to end.  Full stop.  The notion that guns are toys or entertainment needs to stop.  If you want to hunt - buy a single-shot rifle, and aim really well.  
then stop using them in movies, rap music, tv shows, stop glorifying them by the media ........ what do you think of that? stop the violent video games, deal ?

The ultimate goal is to reduce our gun violence down to the level of other developed countries. There really is no way to stop it completely. Continuing to claim that the ultimate goal is to stop it completely is nothing but a distraction from doing things that could reduce it. 
the ultimate goal is to stop these people who want to murder others 

reducing it ...... no, I want to stop it

When these attacks happen, there are some who bring up mental health genuinely and some who using it to deflect from conversations they don't want to have. Regardless of intent, it's incredible that we don't even commit to do anything about mental health. It seems like we don't do anything at all about it- not guns, not mental health, nothing.
In fact early in the administration the mental health budget was cut...was it not?

Kinda depends on the social impact.  

Does it make people behave like the Handmaid’s Tale? No.  Does it mean they just can’t own the rifle that makes them feel like they’re playing Call of Duty? Maybe. 
exactly - and my view of social impact is no more anti-gun laws because in my social guns are no more of a problem than cars or knives. 

your social might be different than mine or everyone else's ........... gun owners have agreed and given to age laws, background checks, restrictions on this, and that ........ and its never enough 

anti-gun people know it too - that's why they use tragedies like this to get their agenda fast while emotions are raw. its sick.  we have common sense gun laws, right now, in the USA

we have violence - and that needs addressed 

Yep, and apparently still getting cut. Pretty disheartening.

"The Fiscal Year 2019 budget requests $68.4 billion for the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), which is a $17.9 billion (or 21 percent) decrease from the 2017 enacted level."

Link
Yeah...another thing Id love to hear this be addressed. 

OrtonToOlsen said:
A few years ago NDT started really enjoying his celebrity status.  Now he feels the need to chime in about all kinds of stuff.  I’m not a huge fan of his recent “work”.
Had he posted something condemning the shootings and/or Trump, he would have been deemed and intelligent, reliable source. Regardless, the facts still remain.

Blaming video games must be a popular target with older conservatives.  Seems to be quite the talking point on Fox News.
We used to hit the streets in GTA in college before hitting the bars and we never did anything insane. Anyone fully blaming video games definitely has some additional screws loose to do this kind of crazy. 

I Could not find Antonio Brown's take, but here's Larry Johnson's:

Larry Johnson

@2LarryJohnson7

Repetition, repetition, repetition. The official death toll was only 9. Where did they get 29? Oh that’s right, the 1% who own these media conglomerates are also masons. They boast through numerology. “13” Families of the Cabal “29” 2+9 = 11 (master numb) #daytonshooter

I Could not find Antonio Brown's take, but here's Larry Johnson's:

Larry Johnson

@2LarryJohnson7

Repetition, repetition, repetition. The official death toll was only 9. Where did they get 29? Oh that’s right, the 1% who own these media conglomerates are also masons. They boast through numerology. “13” Families of the Cabal “29” 2+9 = 11 (master numb) #daytonshooter
W

T

F

Shermichael Singleton

@Shermichael_

If it's done by a black man, he's a thug. If it's an Arab, then he must be a terrorist. If Hispanic, let's build a wall, but if he's white, he's a troubled young man with mental illness, perhaps it's video games?
I really want to reject this, I mean, its too simple. But ...

WDIK2 said:
Weird, marksmanship and education was the original purpose of the NRA.  But I see your primary focus is their lobbying efforts.
not THE purpose .... a part of yes but not primary

stopping anti-gun zealots from taking Constitutional Rights was the primary goal

I'm with Trump - gotta stop these hateful people who want to kill others. Taking a certain weapon from being obtained legally .... that's not going to stop anybody. Everyone knows that, but they feel the pressure and emotions of wanting to do SOMETHING and so, liberals/Democrats use that opportunity after a mass shooting to get their agenda.

its sick

Shermichael Singleton

@Shermichael_

If it's done by a black man, he's a thug. If it's an Arab, then he must be a terrorist. If Hispanic, let's build a wall, but if he's white, he's a troubled young man with mental illness, perhaps it's video games?
hang them all the same in front of the public IMO

Trump is saying the right things is he not ? Why attack simply because you're anti-trump ? this doesn't help

at all
Very true, and sad the way many act looking to divide further or find “gotchas” to call out and attack. Many that call out Trump don’t practice what they preach but use behavior just as bad if not worse. It’s a sad state the country is in and as much as I would like to think there’s a way to bring people together when is the last time that happened.....after 9/11? It’s been continuously worse since then and next election I assume more the same if Trump/Biden are the options. 

Trump is saying the right things is he not ? 
His statement on the tarmac was ok. He didn’t explain the ideology of the El Paso but he really must, but he might as he said he will do a follow up statement tomorrow morning.

I do think there may be hope he corrects his language because just a few days ago at the Cincy rally it was very noticeable that he did not attack Cortez, Pressley, Tlaib & Omar, and there was no ‘send her back’ chant. Thank goodness, imagine how bad this would be now if he had done that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread