What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (5 Viewers)

look at who's doing these crimes - terrorists, gangs, domestic violence ............. those will not go away unless they're targeted and attacked HARD

These things exist all over the world. Hope this helps.
sure, but in some places its far far worse

why? because the core problem is the PEOPLE .......... you can flood the safest country in the world with fully automatic rifles and the violence wouldn't change. You can take away most guns and knives and in places with violence (like the UK) guess what? Still the same amount of violence.

you'd think eventually the core problem would be focused on huh ?

People from Kansas are better than people from southside of Chicago?
here is what we know

https://crimeresearch.org/2017/04/number-murders-county-54-us-counties-2014-zero-murders-69-1-murder/

54% Of US Counties In 2014 Had Zero Murders, 2% Of Counties Have 51% Of The Murders

what makes those 2% counties what they are? we know they're violent, obviously ........... why is the question

Conclusion

This study shows how murders in the United States are heavily concentrated in very small areas. Few appreciate how much of the US has no murders each year.  Murder isn’t a nationwide problem.  It’s a problem in a very small set of urban areas, and any solution must reduce those murders.

Last edited by a moderator:
here is what we know

https://crimeresearch.org/2017/04/number-murders-county-54-us-counties-2014-zero-murders-69-1-murder/

54% Of US Counties In 2014 Had Zero Murders, 2% Of Counties Have 51% Of The Murders

what makes those 2% counties what they are? we know they're violent, obviously ........... why is the question

Conclusion

This study shows how murders in the United States are heavily concentrated in very small areas. Few appreciate how much of the US has no murders each year.  Murder isn’t a nationwide problem.  It’s a problem in a very small set of urban areas, and any solution must reduce those murders.
I dont think that has anything to do with being "better people". 

What does that map look like vs a population density map?  I mean, is it really a surprise LA has a higher murder rate than Montana? 

I dont think that has anything to do with being "better people". 

What does that map look like vs a population density map?  I mean, is it really a surprise LA has a higher murder rate than Montana? 
that might hold water - except when you look deeper into it

here in Little Rock we are a hot spot for crime/murder ........... but 90% of the area here isn't high crime at all. High density neighborhoods are all over that have little crime. They're gated, fenced, have security or just in the "good" parts of town

you likely know or have been to or seen areas just like that - its the not good areas that are such high crime isn't it ? 

that might hold water - except when you look deeper into it

here in Little Rock we are a hot spot for crime/murder ........... but 90% of the area here isn't high crime at all. High density neighborhoods are all over that have little crime. They're gated, fenced, have security or just in the "good" parts of town

you likely know or have been to or seen areas just like that - its the not good areas that are such high crime isn't it ? 
So the people in gated communities are better, is that what you are saying? 

KarmaPolice said:
So the people in gated communities are better, is that what you are saying? 
better at not being violent OR better at keeping violence out ? 

what do you think ?

two incidents this week where students (illegally) took guns (illegally) to campuses (illegally) and resource offers shot them down ............... that's good news, word is spreading that schools are NOT going to be victims anymore.

better at not being violent OR better at keeping violence out ? 

what do you think ?
I am not the one that claimed they were better at anything.  I am just trying to understand why you posted that people in Missouri were better than people in the southside of Chicago originally.  

I am not the one that claimed they were better at anything.  I am just trying to understand why you posted that people in Missouri were better than people in the southside of Chicago originally.  
did I say that for a fact or did I suggest maybe ?

when such a small % of geographical area and people are responsible for the bulk for shootings/violence/deaths ........... how do you describe those areas ?

I have no problem labeling the people are are violent as worse people than those who are not violent. I'm very ok with that

Not sure if anyone saw this but there was another shooting today on a military base.  Kind throws out that gun free zone idea.
it was never a set in stone, 100% all the time thing - that gun free zones were always the targets though most of the time yes they are

and on that military base the shooter killed what, 50? 100? 20 ?  no .... someone with a gun took him out fast I'm guessing or forced him/her to commit suicide quickly. If I'm guessing, it was a military person with mental health issues :(

Sounds like the shooting happened in one of the classrooms at Pensacola.  I spent some time there years ago.  There were a lot of NAVY, Marines and Air Force on base for aviation training.

it was never a set in stone, 100% all the time thing - that gun free zones were always the targets though most of the time yes they are

and on that military base the shooter killed what, 50? 100? 20 ?  no .... someone with a gun took him out fast I'm guessing or forced him/her to commit suicide quickly. If I'm guessing, it was a military person with mental health issues :(
Most of these shootings, including schools have victim counts under 20.  That's not a good argument.

Pensacola.  Death toll now 4. Rumour that the shooter was a Saudi pilot being trained there and that he was shot by a police officer ( so far no mention whether civilian or military police). I'd link but the report I saw was in Danish

Pensacola.  Death toll now 4. Rumour that the shooter was a Saudi pilot being trained there and that he was shot by a police officer ( so far no mention whether civilian or military police). I'd link but the report I saw was in Danish
Based on a presser earlier, sounded like local sherrifs office took out the shooter.

Gunman who killed 3, injured 7 at Florida Navy station was Saudi flight student; FBI investigating

terrorism from Saudi's again maybe

"The shooter -- who was wielding a handgun, despite firearms not being allowed on base -- was confronted and taken out by a pair of responding officers, officials say."

guns were banned on base - it didn't stop the bad guy did it ? we have stacks of laws saying don't kill people .... Bloomberg is an idiot to suggest more laws 

I have no problem labeling the people are are violent as worse people than those who are not violent. I'm very ok with that
No surprise we dont see eye to eye on that.  Definitely very different circumstances, but surely not better or worse people as a group.  

Andrew Blankstein

@anblanx

1st on

@NBCNews

: While non-citizens are normally prohibited from buying handguns, Alshamrani used a LOOPHOLE to legally purchase his weapon from a dealer in Pensacola. Non-citizens w/ hunting licenses can buy firearms, and the shooter apparently had such a license, sources said.
If true, it's another example of how our current laws need to be fixed and enforced. You can pass all the laws you want, if they have loopholes such as this, things still fall through the cracks.

What happened was bad but the shooter from Saudi was a radicalized muslim who was training to be a Navy pilot.   It is terrifying to think of what he would have been capable of had he be at the controls of a Naval plane and the damage he could have done.

What happened was bad but the shooter from Saudi was a radicalized muslim who was training to be a Navy pilot.   It is terrifying to think of what he would have been capable of had he be at the controls of a Naval plane and the damage he could have done.
Makes you wonder why he would trade the damage he could do with a plane for the damage he could did with a handgun?

Yeah, that's scary.  But I doubt that he would be allowed to fly in US airspace in an armed and weapons loaded fighter plane.

But he could have kamikaze'd himself into something before getting intercepted. However, he'd have to be a pilot and fly a plane without a copilot or incapacitate his crew somehow.

Scary stuff, but the question I have is how radicalized is the Saudi armed forces?

My nephew was at the Pensacola base. Just joined the Navy this summer. He’s pretty shook. I’m gonna see him at Christmas. Crazy. 

KarmaPolice said:
No surprise we dont see eye to eye on that.  Definitely very different circumstances, but surely not better or worse people as a group.  
why not as a group ?

The Z Machine said:
But I doubt that he would be allowed to fly in US airspace in an armed and weapons loaded fighter plane.
I was shocked to find out non-US citizens can buy firearms. I never knew that, I would have thought that A. Saudi's would be HEAVILY vetted after 911 before being allowed in the USA and B. after 911 a BIG no to non-US citizens being able to buy guns. Those are US Citizens Rights, nobody elses

Houston Police chief: condemns the republican stance on gun control

Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo demanded U.S. senators from Texas choose sides in an ongoing gun control battle Monday morning.

"Make up your minds," Acevedo asked of GOP Sens. John Cornyn and Ted Cruz. "Whose side are you on? Gun manufacturers? The gun lobby, or the children who are getting gunned down in this country every single day?"
At the funeral of a Houston police officer, shot and killed when responding to a domestic violence situation

Acevedo is angry the U.S. Senate hasn't renewed the federal Violence Against Women Act. A provision of the bill, passed in the U.S. House, would close the so-called "Boyfriend Loophole." Federal law currently prohibits felons and domestic abusers married to or living with their victims from buying firearms.

Dating partners not living with alleged victims are not affected. Under current law, they can still pass a background check.

The U.S. Senate has stalled on the legislation prompting Acevedo's outrage.

"I don't want to see their little smug faces about how much they care about law enforcement when I'm burying a sergeant because they don't want to piss off the NRA," said Acevedo.
The response can be summed up in the classic "now is not the time to discuss gun control, thought and prayers"

Houston Police chief: condemns the republican stance on gun control

At the funeral of a Houston police officer, shot and killed when responding to a domestic violence situation

The response can be summed up in the classic "now is not the time to discuss gun control, thought and prayers"
Love this chief calling out the do-nothing republicans and the Russian backed NRA.

"I don't want to see their little smug faces about how much they care about law enforcement when I'm burying a sergeant because they don't want to piss off the NRA," said Acevedo.

Bomb squad investigates stolen U-Haul from the scene

The bomb squad is examining a stolen U-Haul from the scene, according to the Jersey City Police Chief Michael Kelly.

The U-Haul, which has removed from the scene, may contain an incendiary device, he said.

Kelly said the shooting investigation will "take weeks, maybe months."

“The crime scene is very extensive and is at three locations at least,” he said. 

its not legal to kill people - we have laws against it

for every person killed with a gun this week, how many were beaten to death? choked to death? killed with a knife or car? how many overdosed on illegal or legal drugs ? died from elective surgeries? 

media glorifies violence and death when guns are used for political agenda

Users who are viewing this thread