What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (6 Viewers)

Shooter in Maryland now reported dead.
I hope the reports prove accurate.  I also hope, though it would be unworthy of a more advanced human than I, that he suffered first.  In the end I am not a very good person and am a bit vengeful.  I am in no way motivated to become a better person in this regard.  I am fine with a vengeful streak in my nature, though sometimes it redounds to my own detriment. 

Sounds like the shooter had a hand gun.  I know the shooter was taken out by an armed resource officer which minimized the damage but I also wonder if the weapon being a hand gun would have affected it as well instead of it being a semi-auto rifle.

I wasn't alive 50 years ago, so I can only go on history about these good 'ole days you talk about.
It was glorious.  We had lead in our paint and our gasoline, but not in our water.  We walked to school, uphill, and also on the return, but we had freedom from adults to get into mischief during the walks.  We had transistor radios, girls in cut off jeans so short they were showing two hairstyles and Aids had not been invented yet.

Breaking911‏Verified account @Breaking911

FollowFollow @Breaking911

More

MARYLAND HIGH SCHOOL SHOOTING: - Student Armed With Handgun Shot Male & Female Student - Female Critical, Male Stable - Gunman Fatally Shot By Resource Officer

Back in the day we had access to guns.  We choose not to use them to resolve conflict at school, or perhaps it is more apt to say it was not within our conceptual paradigms to use them to address conflict at school.  There has been a fundamental paradigm shift over 50 years. This is not necessarily relevant to addressing today's problems, more of a lamentation to help me through the day.
Get off my lawn!!!!111

Seriously, DW, between this flawed logic and your affliction for the Packers I'm starting to question my decision to hold you in such high regard. 

"Good people" seem to be the same as they've ever been ... but "bad people", as a collective entity, seem to be far more desparate and less inhibited. Seems like when people fall through the cracks of society these days, they fall much further and do more damage.
You just have recency bias. 

"Good people" seem to be the same as they've ever been ... but "bad people", as a collective entity, seem to be far more desparate and less inhibited. Seems like when people fall through the cracks of society these days, they fall much further and do more damage.
You just have recency bias. 
Undoubtedly, as a product of my own experiences. Still don't think American society is collectively doing the very best it can regarding shooting deaths in general, though.

Undoubtedly, as a product of my own experiences. Still don't think American society is collectively doing the very best it can regarding shooting deaths in general, though.
As Yankee would say, "the NRA is a clear and present danger to the United States."

Sounds like the shooter had a hand gun.  I know the shooter was taken out by an armed resource officer which minimized the damage but I also wonder if the weapon being a hand gun would have affected it as well instead of it being a semi-auto rifle.
Probably, but some people have fun shooting them on the weekends, so SECOND AMENDMANT!!!!!!!11111

Looks like they are hedging a bit on whether the SRO killed the kid or it was suicide.  Either way, the SRO got it to stop, so that's good.

Also, OP updated with a bunch of shootings I missed

I keep reading on social media about how a good guy with a gun stopped a bad guy with a gun so it proves them right and Liberals should just shut up.  I admit that it was good that he was there and sounds like he prevented other from being hurt but isn't the point of having armed guards in schools to prevent a shooting from happening in the first place.  I know StealthyCat has been in favor of it because he wants the bad person shot before they can do anything, this was another failure in that area.

Why was the well-trained school resource officer able to stop this guy? Because the shooter only had a pistol. If he had carried an AR-15 or similar weapon, many more students would be dead, including most likely the school resource officer. And this is the entire point.

Why was the well-trained school resource officer able to stop this guy? Because the shooter only had a pistol. If he had carried an AR-15 or similar weapon, many more students would be dead, including most likely the school resource officer. And this is the entire point.
I've thought about that myself but I ultimately don't know the answer.  It's possible his only goal was to shoot specific people.  I think it's possible it made a difference though.

I think it's safe to assume the armed SRO made a difference and ended this incident before it got worse.

But that's not evidence that armed teachers would make a difference or wouldn't do more harm than good in the long run, and it's certainly not evidence that armed SRO's solve the problem so we no longer have to worry about easy access assault rifles.

I'm not saying we won't ever enact stricter gun laws.  But we're not going door to door and taking everyone's guns.  It's just logistically impossible.
I know you keep saying that but I don’t think you are right.  If we want to get serious about this we can do it.  You could get an army of citizens that you in theory could “deputize” to collect guns.  You could have buyback programs larger than we’ve ever had.  You could make it illegal to own then and sell them.  

Note, while I would be all for this, I’m not advocating for it.  I’d prefer to start with gun laws that most agree with and go from there, I just don’t think it’s impossible like you say it is if we really wanted to do it.

I know you keep saying that but I don’t think you are right.  If we want to get serious about this we can do it.  You could get an army of citizens that you in theory could “deputize” to collect guns.  You could have buyback programs larger than we’ve ever had.  You could make it illegal to own then and sell them.  

Note, while I would be all for this, I’m not advocating for it.  I’d prefer to start with gun laws that most agree with and go from there, I just don’t think it’s impossible like you say it is if we really wanted to do it.
How big is this army?  How many guns do you think they can collect and properly document to remove the name/number from the registry and get watched over so they don't steal them and put them back in circulation?  300-350 million guns.

Buybacks?  If you gave everyone $250 in gift cards (as they do at buybacks) you'd have over $87 billion in gift cards to hand out. That's more than the entire prison system of this country spends per year on incarceration at the state, federal, and local levels combined.  And, again, even if you managed to have an average of two centers per state collecting these guns securely and handing out cards, operating 16 hours per day, completing a transaction every two minutes, you'd get 48,000 guns per day. Double it.  Heck, triple it.  Let's call it 150,000 guns per day, which is virtually impossible, but let's call it that.  If it's 350 million guns it's still over six years before the program's over, and that's assuming we can shuffle everyone around for perfect placement of volunteers and keep that 150,000 guns per day average working seven days a week for those six years.

How big is this army?  How many guns do you think they can collect and properly document to remove the name/number from the registry and get watched over so they don't steal them and put them back in circulation?  300-350 million guns.

Buybacks?  If you gave everyone $250 in gift cards (as they do at buybacks) you'd have over $87 billion in gift cards to hand out. That's more than the entire prison system of this country spends per year on incarceration at the state, federal, and local levels combined.  And, again, even if you managed to have an average of two centers per state collecting these guns securely and handing out cards, operating 16 hours per day, completing a transaction every two minutes, you'd get 48,000 guns per day. Double it.  Heck, triple it.  Let's call it 150,000 guns per day, which is virtually impossible, but let's call it that.  If it's 350 million guns it's still over six years before the program's over, and that's assuming we can shuffle everyone around for perfect placement of volunteers and keep that 150,000 guns per day average working seven days a week for those six years.
So you admit it can be done - now we are getting somewhere!

Looks like they are hedging a bit on whether the SRO killed the kid or it was suicide.  Either way, the SRO got it to stop, so that's good.

Also, OP updated with a bunch of shootings I missed

We don't know that. Could be this was merely a triangle drama, real or perceived by the shooter.

We'll find out more in the coming days
WTF??

We don't know if it was the SRO? But, Tim can spout off whataboutisms that it could have been worse if the kid had an AR15. 

More of the same. 

So you admit it can be done - now we are getting somewhere!
No, I said how long it would take before.  Unspoken in there is that when a program takes six years (really, much longer) to be complete and has a vocal political opposition, the party that created it will be gone before it finishes and it will get voted away.

No, I said how long it would take before.  Unspoken in there is that when a program takes six years (really, much longer) to be complete and has a vocal political opposition, the party that created it will be gone before it finishes and it will get voted away.
Unspoken in mine was that people agree - I’m not looking to make Riversco out to be Nazidamus.

WTF??

We don't know if it was the SRO? But, Tim can spout off whataboutisms that it could have been worse if the kid had an AR15. 

More of the same. 
This is what I answered:

2 hours ago, randall146 said:
I think it's safe to assume the armed SRO made a difference and ended this incident before it got worse.
By saying

We don't know that. Could be this was merely a triangle drama, real or perceived by the shooter.
clearly in response to the 

SRO made a difference and ended this incident before it got worse
Because if it is a love triangle thing it is far ffrom certain the shooter would have continued after what he already did.

As I said. We'll know more over the coming days if that is the case

Really starting to think the solution(since no-guns is unrealistic for some reason) is just to not have schools. Just have everything done online via email and skype. Families that can't afford computers can be issued standard ones, that will easily be paid for with the money saved by not having to maintain/rebuild schools. Could probably lower taxes too.

msommer said:
This is what I answered:

By saying

clearly in response to the 

Because if it is a love triangle thing it is far ffrom certain the shooter would have continued after what he already did.

As I said. We'll know more over the coming days if that is the case
Do we know that it could have been worse if the kid had an AR15? If it was a love triangle, maybe his intentions were not to kill everyone. 

But, let's not worry about those claims. 

Do we know that it could have been worse if the kid had an AR15? If it was a love triangle, maybe his intentions were not to kill everyone. 

But, let's not worry about those claims. 
That’s a fair point, but it still leaves us with a best case scenario of kid has access to gun, tries to kill ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend before killing himself

AAABatteries said:

This is why not one inch. 

travdogg said:
Really starting to think the solution(since no-guns is unrealistic for some reason) is just to not have schools. Just have everything done online via email and skype. Families that can't afford computers can be issued standard ones, that will easily be paid for with the money saved by not having to maintain/rebuild schools. Could probably lower taxes too.
Oh lord

Surprised the Stealthymobile hasn’t rolled through here today.  You know, for a more guns in schools victory lap.  

Users who are viewing this thread