What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (3 Viewers)

Those kids will be super well socialized.
Alive socially awkward kids>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>dead kids

Last edited by a moderator:
Alive kids>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>socially awkward kids
Yes, we should keep children at home and not let them interact with each other so we don’t interfere with anachronistic rights of the minority.  Of course, we also need to stop going to shopping malls and churches, but we have Amazon and Grubhub.

Alive socially awkward kids>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>dead kids
Stop

The mods did it. Not sure how they can justify it, 84 pages and 2+ months in. 
The title sounded like you were cheering the shootings. Even if you were trying to be sarcastic it didn't come across that way to anyone just glancing at the title and I cringed every time I read it. I complained long ago here that the thread title should be changed because it seemed in poor taste irrespective of the actual intent. Glad to see the mods finally did something about it.

So I have never gotten too deep into gun conversations here, mostly because guns are as close to religion in the US as you can get.

I'm decidedly pro 2nd Amendment, but I also recognize that was written with foreign invaders in mind.  Since the Florida school shootings gun sales are up exponentially, so much so that the government is not able to provide enough 4473s.

Someone said to me recently, "an armed society, is a polite society."  Having been to 60+ countries, many of them with extremely strict guns laws, I can tell you that that is an absolutely ridiculous statement.  An American statement, maybe a statement that only someone in Congo or Chechnya might agree with.  It shows a profound ignorance to reality IMO.

I've studied the city of Detroit like very few, I'm an expert on the city and its rise and fall.  In 1960 Detroit had 1.67 million people, and an estimated 25k guns.  Most of those guns were used for hunting, some for home protection, most for both.  They were shotguns, long guns, hunting rifles, etc.  Pistols?  They were for the criminals, and Detroit had crime like everyone else did.  In 1966 there were 204 murders in Detroit, most since Prohibition.  It was a bad year, more than half of those were killed by knife or rock (object). 

In 1974 Detroit had 1.45 million people and 714 murders.  After the 1967 riots gun sales exploded, it was estimated that at minimum the city had 500,000 guns.  Law Enforcement was pulling 30k guns off the streets every year, illegal guns and those used in crimes.  At the time law enforcement uniformly was saying that what used to be solved with fists, even knifes or rocks, was now bring decided by guns.  A black eye society became a shoot when you're pissed off society, and we've never really recovered from that. 

Now we have so many guns laying around, that they are accessible by children, criminals, criminal children, and guy who happens by your yard at the right moment.  Children of the damned, the broken, the paranoid are now able to get guns whenever they like.  I can buy a gun so I'll buy ten, then ten years later I forgot I had ten guns and my kid took one and shot a bird.  Then another kid took one to school, and killed some kids he didn't like. 

NRA guy is even having trouble defending the mass shootings.  They know we can't arm teachers, they know there are too many unaccounted for guns out there, yet they blindly protect the 2nd Amendment which they simply don't understand.  It shows we are a nation of extremes unwilling to see the forest through the trees, the fixes to our problems aren't simple but they also aren't so complex that we continue on this path.  I want to believe we are just better, smarter, more flexible in mind and government than anyone else. 

But what is happening is decisively upsetting, and the pro-gun and "snowflake" memes are creating a culture of ignorance.  You can keep your guns, for hunting, home protection, skeet-skeet shooting, it's your right.  You don't need bump stocks, suppressors, and assault rifles.  There is no herd of deer coming to kill your family while they sleep, where you need a 50 cal to make them into venison in your front yard.  If you don't understand this, you are mostly the problem.  T&P

:2cents:

The title sounded like you were cheering the shootings. Even if you were trying to be sarcastic it didn't come across that way to anyone just glancing at the title and I cringed every time I read it. I complained long ago here that the thread title should be changed because it seemed in poor taste irrespective of the actual intent. Glad to see the mods finally did something about it.
Of course you did.

YOU SUCK

So I have never gotten too deep into gun conversations here, mostly because guns are as close to religion in the US as you can get.

I'm decidedly pro 2nd Amendment, but I also recognize that was written with foreign invaders in mind.  Since the Florida school shootings gun sales are up exponentially, so much so that the government is not able to provide enough 4473s.

Someone said to me recently, "an armed society, is a polite society."  Having been to 60+ countries, many of them with extremely strict guns laws, I can tell you that that is an absolutely ridiculous statement.  An American statement, maybe a statement that only someone in Congo or Chechnya might agree with.  It shows a profound ignorance to reality IMO.

I've studied the city of Detroit like very few, I'm an expert on the city and its rise and fall.  In 1960 Detroit had 1.67 million people, and an estimated 25k guns.  Most of those guns were used for hunting, some for home protection, most for both.  They were shotguns, long guns, hunting rifles, etc.  Pistols?  They were for the criminals, and Detroit had crime like everyone else did.  In 1966 there were 204 murders in Detroit, most since Prohibition.  It was a bad year, more than half of those were killed by knife or rock (object). 

In 1974 Detroit had 1.45 million people and 714 murders.  After the 1967 riots gun sales exploded, it was estimated that at minimum the city had 500,000 guns.  Law Enforcement was pulling 30k guns off the streets every year, illegal guns and those used in crimes.  At the time law enforcement uniformly was saying that what used to be solved with fists, even knifes or rocks, was now bring decided by guns.  A black eye society became a shoot when you're pissed off society, and we've never really recovered from that. 

Now we have so many guns laying around, that they are accessible by children, criminals, criminal children, and guy who happens by your yard at the right moment.  Children of the damned, the broken, the paranoid are now able to get guns whenever they like.  I can buy a gun so I'll buy ten, then ten years later I forgot I had ten guns and my kid took one and shot a bird.  Then another kid took one to school, and killed some kids he didn't like. 

NRA guy is even having trouble defending the mass shootings.  They know we can't arm teachers, they know there are too many unaccounted for guns out there, yet they blindly protect the 2nd Amendment which they simply don't understand.  It shows we are a nation of extremes unwilling to see the forest through the trees, the fixes to our problems aren't simple but they also aren't so complex that we continue on this path.  I want to believe we are just better, smarter, more flexible in mind and government than anyone else. 

But what is happening is decisively upsetting, and the pro-gun and "snowflake" memes are creating a culture of ignorance.  You can keep your guns, for hunting, home protection, skeet-skeet shooting, it's your right.  You don't need bump stocks, suppressors, and assault rifles.  There is no herd of deer coming to kill your family while they sleep, where you need a 50 cal to make them into venison in your front yard.  If you don't understand this, you are mostly the problem.  T&P

:2cents:
Excellent post. 

You actually reported a thread title? Are you serious? 

squistion I keep trying to defend you because I think your heart’s in the right place but...take some advice from someone who has spent way too much time in this forum: you need to step away for a while. 

You actually reported a thread title? Are you serious? 

squistion I keep trying to defend you because I think your heart’s in the right place but...take some advice from someone who has spent way too much time in this forum: you need to step away for a while. 
No, I never have reported a thread title and as I said in a subsequent post, I didn't report this one, which the mods can verify. I only complained about it in this thread which is not reporting it.

It would never have occurred to me to complain about such a thing.  

No, I never have reported a thread title and as I said in a subsequent post, I didn't report this one, which the mods can verify. I only complained about it in this thread which is not reporting it.
The mods can also verify your hundreds of reported posts if they like, I want to see the list.  :popcorn: Being the liar, cheat, and steal you've proven to be, it would also be cool if they could verify you didn't report the thread title.  I'm skeptical. 

You aren't very bright, you always leave one of your flanks unprotected, thus you absolutely need to report anyone who disagrees with you.  Terrific animal kingdom theater here,  thanks. 

Nice work by the armed resource officer m :thumbup:  

A few more properly trained individuals like him and maybe these shooters will stop viewing schools as soft targets with easy high-score potential. Once the perception of power and fame through high body counts is taken away, I think the motivation for many of these shooters will vaporize. 

Has anyone argued that Austin needs more good guys with bombs to fight off the bad guys with bombs, or that the U.K. needs more good guys with nerve gas?

Or are guns a logically unique case?
Yes because the 2nd Amend........blah blah blah...let's shoot some guns!  Woohooooo! 

Once the perception of power and fame through high body counts is taken away, I think the motivation for many of these shooters will vaporize. 
Curious - do you think this is the motivating factor for school shooters?  Most end up dead - by design, so that seems to be an odd motivation.  Maybe they see "power" for a few fleeting moments, but they'll never see fame.

I would have guessed anger/revenge were more motivating factors - but I don't know.

Curious - do you think this is the motivating factor for school shooters?  Most end up dead - by design, so that seems to be an odd motivation.  Maybe they see "power" for a few fleeting moments, but they'll never see fame.

I would have guessed anger/revenge were more motivating factors - but I don't know.
It’s pretty well documented in several of the cases that a “high-score / infamy” motivation was there based on evidence leading up to the shooting (conversations/writings).  Sure they’re dying, but they are often “invisible” or “powerless” people lashing out. They may have been bullied, or chewed up and spit out by society.

Sure in some cases there are few warning signs and it’s just a loner type who dreams up a way to go for a high score before taking himself out (ie Vegas Shooter). In the end it’s sometimes revenge, sometimes infamy... but often it seems that, at its core, it’s people who feel they didn’t have a voice finally deciding to scream loud enough the whole world hears them. 

The Media will never give up sharing that part of the voice... but if we can reduce response times to 20 seconds instead of 20 minutes, not only do fewer kids die THIS time.... but maybe it reduces the allure for NEXT time. 

I agree.  Probably a bit different for every one of these shooters.  Power and Fame, I could see Paddock wanting that.  The goofy nut in the Batman movie shooting...probably more so just crazy.  

It’s pretty well documented in several of the cases that a “high-score / infamy” motivation was there based on evidence leading up to the shooting (conversations/writings).  Sure they’re dying, but they are often “invisible” or “powerless” people lashing out. They may have been bullied, or chewed up and spit out by society.

Sure in some cases there are few warning signs and it’s just a loner type who dreams up a way to go for a high score before taking himself out (ie Vegas Shooter). In the end it’s sometimes revenge, sometimes infamy... but often it seems that, at its core, it’s people who feel they didn’t have a voice finally deciding to scream loud enough the whole world hears them. 

The Media will never give up sharing that part of the voice... but if we can reduce response times to 20 seconds instead of 20 minutes, not only do fewer kids die THIS time.... but maybe it reduces the allure for NEXT time. 
I'd like the media to not cover the names of the shooters.  Suspect A is just fine when identifying these shooters.  

A few more properly trained individuals like him and maybe these shooters will stop viewing schools as soft targets with easy high-score potential. Once the perception of power and fame through high body counts is taken away, I think the motivation for many of these shooters will vaporize. 
I agree.  Years of training paid off by saving lives.  

You can't be serious. This is unbelievable. 

I'm happy the officer saved lives yesterday. But to use it as evidence of this being a good solution going forward is insane. We need 21st century solutions. Not solutions they used in 19th century Tombstone Arizona. 

I'm happy the officer saved lives yesterday. But to use it as evidence of this being a good solution going forward is insane. We need 21st century solutions. Not solutions they used in 19th century Tombstone Arizona. 
All ears bud.  Doesn't diminish the steel of this officer.  A true hero, a word that gets thrown around way too much.  

Is a resource officer basically a security guard?  Or a cop assigned to the school?  Or somewhere in between?

Sheriff Bart said:
I'm sure I'm alone but my heart always breaks for the parents of these shooters.  I'm sure some are to blame but I bet many are not. 
Again, the Ted talk by the Columbine shooter’s mom was very moving. 

Is a resource officer basically a security guard?  Or a cop assigned to the school?  Or somewhere in between?
In my town they are cops. I thought that was true everywhere.

When I distinguish between SRO’s (great idea) and arming teachers or staff (terrible idea) it’s under the assumption that the School Resource Officer is an actual police officer

In WV, a Prevention Resource Officer (PRO, also casually referred to as a resource officer):

1.  PROs must be a current, state certified police officer with at least one year of field/road experience and be employed by a law enforcement agency.

2.   PROs must complete required Division of  Justice and Community Services (DJCS) training and be certified as a PRO before entering the school.  

3.   DJCS requires grantee to assign one, full-time  PRO officer per school. PROs must maintain an office in the assigned school and be present in that school  at least 35 hours per week.

4.  PROs will be stationed in a middle or high school.

5.  PROs must be aware of and adhere to all school policies and  school laws (Law Enforcement and Teacher Code of Conduct).

6.  A PRO’s function is not disciplinary. PROs are assigned to the school to provide prevention, mentoring, and safety.

What do you mean “if” I was being sarcastic?  You couldn’t figure it out?  Did you actually think I was cheering for more child murder?

What do you mean “if” I was being sarcastic?  You couldn’t figure it out?  Did you actually think I was cheering for more child murder?
This board is serious business guy....especially for those who can't get over themselves and knows exactly how everyone else takes titles in the FFA at a glance.

Users who are viewing this thread