What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (4 Viewers)

Like saying "He's naked" is completely false doesn't mean "no part of his body was uncovered."  It means there is no interpretation of naked that would be applicable to the person you're referring to at that time.

I'm not sure what their headquarters had, do you have a link specifying or are you guessing or ?
A few years ago, Google hired 200 security guards for its main campus and Youtube's campus.  Reporting recently confirmed that at least some of that security at Youtube was armed.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/youtube-shooting-san-bruno-headquarters-building-details-today-2018-04-03/

YouTube already employed armed security guards around the campus before Tuesday's shooting,

:lmao:

It really is the gift that keeps on giving.  Quick you tube query for "guns" returned over 61 million results but some are lead to believe You Tube has banned all videos on guns?  

-fish- said:
The YouTube headquarters, like a lot of Silicon Valley, are sort of open campuses with a college feel.   Google has hired hundreds of in-house armed security guards for its facilities, but "good guys with guns" just aren't very effective at preventing shootings like this. 
Do you have any proof to this statement. Lot's of places of employment have operation controls or rules that give the impression of control that deters people from doing things. An example would be someone that has a security camera, yet people still have their house or business burglarized. We don't know how many criminals choose to avoid places because of certain controls. 

Do you have any proof to this statement. Lot's of places of employment have operation controls or rules that give the impression of control that deters people from doing things. An example would be someone that has a security camera, yet people still have their house or business burglarized. We don't know how many criminals choose to avoid places because of certain controls. 
You mean like the last school shooting?

Just anecdotal.

Who stopped the shooter? How many would have died had this shooter chose a school or church? Sound more like the shooter wanted to commit suicide by cop. 
It was literally the first google result for police station shooting.  There are lots more.  

People usually choose a target for a specific reason, not because those places will or won't have "good guys with guns."  Very few people are motivated to commit mass murder solely by finding out what the softest target will be nearby.  They usually have a motivation or connection behind what they do. 

Edit: and your statement is precisely the point.  They wanted to get shot.  The fact that there were "good guys with guns" was why that place was chosen.  It certainly didn't protect against it - quite the opposite. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I wasn't clear with my statement. We don't know how many burglaries are avoided because a building had a security camera. We also don't know how many shooters chose a different location (or no location at all) because of controls. 

Pulse nightclub shooter intended to attack Disney World.
Maybe we should step back from spending extensive efforts studying secure/unsecure places and focus on keeping assault guns out of their hands to begin with..?

I guess I wasn't clear with my statement. We don't know how many burglaries are avoided because a building had a security camera. We also don't know how many shooters chose a different location (or no location at all) because of controls. 

Pulse nightclub shooter intended to attack Disney World.
We also don’t know how many people change venue or give up because they are afraid of being caught carrying a gun in a gun free zone.  We do know some people get stopped because they are actually caught with a gun. 

People usually choose a target for a specific reason, not because those places will or won't have "good guys with guns."  Very few people are motivated to commit mass murder solely by finding out what the softest target will be nearby.  They usually have a motivation or connection behind what they do
You sound like one of those dumb profiler guys who have been interviewed ad nauseum about the make up of these sorts of shooters....what do you guys know?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I was watching some gun control debate documentary that seems to have been filmed a couple years after the VT shootings (on HBO).  One of the parts was a good-guy with a gun simulation clip that was from ABC News or something.  The good-guy with a gun wasn't even able to get his gun out of the holster (it got caught up in his shirt) before the simulated assailant mowed down the whole room.

I was watching some gun control debate documentary that seems to have been filmed a couple years after the VT shootings.  One of the parts was a good-guy with a gun simulation clip that was from ABC News or something.  The good-guy with a gun wasn't even able to get his gun out of the holster (it got caught up in his shirt) before the simulated assailant mowed down the whole room.
This is why forcing lower firing rate and/or reloading is key. The shooter has surprise.  The first chance anyone is going to get to take advantage is probably going to be when he or she has to reload.  The best chance for the largest number to survive is lower firing rate plus more frequent reloading. 

This is why forcing lower firing rate and/or reloading is key. The shooter has surprise.  The first chance anyone is going to get to take advantage is probably going to be when he or she has to reload.  The best chance for the largest number to survive is lower firing rate plus more frequent reloading. 
Or mandatory magazines of 500 or more with no smaller ones allowed.  Likelihood of jams increases, difficult to carry and wield, easy to see by law enforcement and potential victims.

I was watching some gun control debate documentary that seems to have been filmed a couple years after the VT shootings (on HBO).  One of the parts was a good-guy with a gun simulation clip that was from ABC News or something.  The good-guy with a gun wasn't even able to get his gun out of the holster (it got caught up in his shirt) before the simulated assailant mowed down the whole room.
A coordinated good guy with a gun.

Actually numerous, selfless, brave, well-trained, highly skilled, coordinated good guys and gals with guns.

Or mandatory magazines of 500 or more with no smaller ones allowed.  Likelihood of jams increases, difficult to carry and wield, easy to see by law enforcement and potential victims.
You’ve obviously never lived in true poverty areas.  I once saw a woman the size of Tomi Lahren steal an entire Thanksgiving Turkey by smuggling it out in her pants. 

I found the vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezzskoEB0Gc

and, TBH that part was kind of a hit piece as they put oversized shirts, gloves and masks on these people before they run the sim at them.  I don't think they had to handicap the good-guys that much to make their point. 

Would you also be willing to consider my plan to allow bump stocks, but only those actuated by those clamping jumper cables to their nipples while balancing a bowl of sulfuric acid on their heads.
I will not, and I will tell you why:

I do not see the need to further stigmatize people who clamp jumper cables to their nipples.  Which is not hurting anyone else and can be intensely pleasurable.

Or so I am told.  

And I'm the one not engaging in meaningful dialogue.
Be the change you want to see.  Those are responses to pretty silly analogies and/or comments made.  Communication is generally of the "garbage in / garbage out" variety.  Can't expect cupcakes to come out the other end unless you provide the ingredients at the beginning :shrug:  

Be the change you want to see.  Those are responses to pretty silly analogies and/or comments made.  Communication is generally of the "garbage in / garbage out" variety.  Can't expect cupcakes to come out the other end unless you provide the ingredients at the beginning :shrug:  
No, the analogies don't work because anti gun people only see things one way. 

I've been willing to discuss compromises that include background checks, limited magazine capacity, and limited caliber size for certain types of guns. Some of the responses were that it's too late for that. That gun owners should have made changes a long time ago, and because they didn't, they need to be punished with outright bans. The fact that someone makes a statement like that shows that they don't think the answer is to ban guns, but they want to over punish for the lack of change thus far. That to me is being pretty silly. 

Commenting that someone owning more than 10 guns makes them a gun nut just proves that the anti gun people are uneducated when it comes to the use of guns. Multiple posters already pointed out why they have 10 or more guns. Because they each have a particular purpose or sentimental meaning. After Henry Ford posted that having 30 of anything makes someone an idiot, I started a thread in the FFA "what do you have 30 or more of". Three pages of idiot responses. Not one from Henry calling each of them idiots? When people posted that we need to register guns like cars, because doing so makes the world safer, I pointed out that auto registration has nothing to do with safety it has to do with money. Again, I created a thread in the FFA, "why do we register our car every year, but our drivers license is good for 4-10 years". Overall sentiment is because of money, not because of safety.

Those that want to discuss gun control want to talk about it in a vacuum. When they make a point, I compare it to other things we have that are similar. To say that a gun was made to kill is fine, but that is not the sole purpose of a gun. And definitely not to kill people. Especially not today. A vast majority of guns are purchased for hunting or target shooting or just for personal enjoyment. 

I can continue to discuss possible compromises that I would be willing to make that may save lives. Or, when someone makes a post that I think it ridiculous, I can stay within my vacuum and simply post 2nd Amendment or NRA as a response. In the end, that's what stands on the opposing side and will be difficult for the other side to get around. 

I compare it to other things we have that are similar.
You compare guns to things like golf clubs :mellow:

A gun is a weapon....you can't expect an honest conversation when you are comparing a weapon to sports equipment just because a weapon can be used in a sport.  The similarity  between the two is so minuscule it's not worth acknowledging.

Most of what you say here is absurd IMO because I am the walking contradiction of just about everything in your post and have demonstrated that in these threads.  The one thing in this post that I feel is worth discussion is this:

When people posted that we need to register guns like cars, because doing so makes the world safer, I pointed out that auto registration has nothing to do with safety it has to do with money
I posted specifically in one of those threads that registration isn't about safety, it's about responsibility.  And if state/fed government did it correctly it could also be about raising funds to help families who have members of their families killed pointlessly by guns of random people.  Of course we can't discuss that because there is little a rational person can push back on when the registry is in place for those reasons, so it went ignored.

We are in control of who we engage with around here.  When one chooses to engage only with those who make absurd claims, that's a reflection of motive IMO.  As I said before, be the change you want to see :shrug:  

You compare guns to things like golf clubs :mellow:

A gun is a weapon....you can't expect an honest conversation when you are comparing a weapon to sports equipment just because a weapon can be used in a sport.  The similarity  between the two is so minuscule it's not worth acknowledging.

Most of what you say here is absurd IMO because I am the walking contradiction of just about everything in your post and have demonstrated that in these threads.  The one thing in this post that I feel is worth discussion is this:

I posted specifically in one of those threads that registration isn't about safety, it's about responsibility.  And if state/fed government did it correctly it could also be about raising funds to help families who have members of their families killed pointlessly by guns of random people.  Of course we can't discuss that because there is little a rational person can push back on when the registry is in place for those reasons, so it went ignored.

We are in control of who we engage with around here.  When one chooses to engage only with those who make absurd claims, that's a reflection of motive IMO.  As I said before, be the change you want to see :shrug:  
Then why did you quote my post? This is the issue with forums like this. Someone may be having a discussion with another poster, then someone like you jumps in and says "I didn't say that, I said this", which has nothing to do with the original conversation. 

Don't assume that every conversation is about you. Maybe you should have had a conversation about registration with all those people in that thread that felt it was about money. Or is it not worth you time to discuss with them why they are wrong? The same way Henry made a blanket statement, but chose to avoid calling everyone an idiot. Because after all, only someone that owns more than 30 guns is an idiot. 

You guys need to step back and look at your own idiocies. You rail against guns so much that it blinds your ability to think or accept another persons point of view. You think you're on the side of right because it saves lives, but choose to ignore other areas that are even more dangerous. Maybe it's you that needs to be the change you want to see. 

Then why did you quote my post? This is the issue with forums like this. Someone may be having a discussion with another poster, then someone like you jumps in and says "I didn't say that, I said this", which has nothing to do with the original conversation. 

Don't assume that every conversation is about you. Maybe you should have had a conversation about registration with all those people in that thread that felt it was about money. Or is it not worth you time to discuss with them why they are wrong? The same way Henry made a blanket statement, but chose to avoid calling everyone an idiot. Because after all, only someone that owns more than 30 guns is an idiot. 

You guys need to step back and look at your own idiocies. You rail against guns so much that it blinds your ability to think or accept another persons point of view. You think you're on the side of right because it saves lives, but choose to ignore other areas that are even more dangerous. Maybe it's you that needs to be the change you want to see. 
Oh, God, no.  There are lots of idiots who own less than 30 guns. 

As far as “don’t assume every conversation is about you” - physician, heal thyself. 

The fact that you keep using a comment made by me, a guy with a .50 cal handgun in his nightstand, as an example of how all us “anti gun” people only see things one way seems a touch like maybe you’re reaching. 

Users who are viewing this thread