Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

USA Shootings


randall146

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, whoknew said:

BREAKING UPDATE: Multiple students killed in shooting at Santa Fe High School in Texas, federal official says

looks like another use of fire alarm to get students into pouring out of buildings

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

just logging in this morning

I wonder what would happen if media quit glorifying it though? If Hollywood took the gun violence away from movies, shootings quit being plastered on the news .......... would that impact people doing these things?

Attention and etching their names in some way to be remembered is a motivating factor no ?

I don't know if there is another way for the media to cover it. I mean - its news. They have to cover it. How do they glorify it? I think the news channels have changed how they cover it. I'm not sure what the etching of names you are talking about is.

And as for Hollywood - its art. Art often reflects the society we live in. We'd be a much worse society if we censored artistic expression.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An armed person walked into an art class at Santa Fe High School and began firing what looked like a shotgun, a witness told CNN affiliate KTRK.

 

26 minutes ago, whoknew said:

I don't know if there is another way for the media to cover it. I mean - its news. They have to cover it. How do they glorify it? I think the news channels have changed how they cover it. I'm not sure what the etching of names you are talking about is.

And as for Hollywood - its art. Art often reflects the society we live in. We'd be a much worse society if we censored artistic expression.

 

society is led in part by what they see and read and hear

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

just logging in this morning

I wonder what would happen if media quit glorifying it though? If Hollywood took the gun violence away from movies, shootings quit being plastered on the news .......... would that impact people doing these things?

Attention and etching their names in some way to be remembered is a motivating factor no ?

I definitely agree that plastering the stuff on the news is bad and does spark copycat crimes. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Stealthycat said:

An armed person walked into an art class at Santa Fe High School and began firing what looked like a shotgun, a witness told CNN affiliate KTRK.

 

 

society is led in part by what they see and read and hear

 

 

Like racist being more embolden because of Trump

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, whoknew said:

But the shooting is news. The media can't ignore it.

They won't but they could ignore it. There are lots of bad things that happen everyday that don't get covered nationally. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, toshiba said:

Like racism on the rise because of Trump

if Trump spoke out and led racism and if the media supported it and advertised it etc yes, it would be like that

if you want to sell a product, or an idea, you bombard society with it over and over and over with as much saturation as possible. There are other avenues as well, but you CAN lead society in directions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Stealthycat said:

if Trump spoke out and led racism and if the media supported it and advertised it etc yes, it would be like that

if you want to sell a product, or an idea, you bombard society with it over and over and over with as much saturation as possible. There are other avenues as well, but you CAN lead society in directions

A better example with Trump would be making America petty, rude, crude and stupid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

They won't but they could ignore it. There are lots of bad things that happen everyday that don't get covered nationally. 

example - women teaches raping young high school boys

its an epidemic - small news articles are all around on it, yet nationally? its not news at all .......... why?  people don't think about it because its not in their faces every morning, afternoon and evening on the news

if it was? there would be rallies and actions put in place to get control of the problem - but right now? nobody cares

look at the #metoo and how that triggered a social avalanche on how women and men are mistreated in Hollywood ....... ignored for decades until one thing sparked it, and it snowballed

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

A better example with Trump would be making America petty, rude, crude and stupid. 

well its very hard for Trump to do that with a high % of the media anti-Trump

to change society you have to have the media behind you in today's world IMO ......

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Stealthycat said:

well its very hard for Trump to do that with a high % of the media anti-Trump

to change society you have to have the media behind you in today's world IMO ......

Trump has the conservative media and a massive Twitter presence and the attention of the world's media. I am pretty sure he has a lot of influence. But that is off topic so I am walking way. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Trump has the conservative media and a massive Twitter presence and the attention of the world's media. I am pretty sure he has a lot of influence. But that is off topic so I am walking way. 

not so off topic no - its an example of how influence can change people

twitter is a powerful tool  - Trump could release fake information via his twitter and have 25 million people believing something fake withing an hour, true ?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

just logging in this morning

I wonder what would happen if media quit glorifying it though? If Hollywood took the gun violence away from movies, shootings quit being plastered on the news .......... would that impact people doing these things?

Attention and etching their names in some way to be remembered is a motivating factor no ?

The problem is easy access to all the ####### guns.  
This doesn't happen around the world.  
Any other factors are so small compared to easy access to all the ####### guns.  
This doesn't happen around the world.  
The problem is easy access to all the ####### guns.  
Other countries don't have this problem because they curb easy access to all the ####### guns.  
This won't change until we get serious about curbing easy access to all the ####### guns. 
This won't change until we get serious about curbing easy access to all the ####### guns.  
This won't change until we get serious about curbing easy access to all the ####### guns.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, James Daulton said:

lol @ 1M per year.  How many gun owners are there in the country?

unknown

In 2017, about 42 percent of U.S. households had at least one gun in possession

 

 

reports are now that 8 dead at the school and the shooter was a student - very likely under 18 and not legal in having the guns he used or the ammunition and illegally going onto a campus and illegally shooting people

too early to know, but assuming he/she was under 18 and used a shotgun, how would 18-21 age limit increases, bump stock bans and AR15 bans affect this shooter? it wouldn't have made any difference at all.

that's my problem with the calls for certain looks of guns being banned ..... these problem people will get something else. Stop these people - that's the core problem

 

damn sad day in Texas :(

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What do you say we just ban guns altogether. I’ll wrap mine up with a pretty bow and drop it of at the gun smelter.

if compromise is not in the cards, screw it.

All we have to do is delete one sentence from the constitution.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dozer said:

What do you say we just ban guns altogether. I’ll wrap mine up with a pretty bow and drop it of at the gun smelter.

if compromise is not in the cards, screw it.

All we have to do is delete one sentence from the constitution.

if we do that the king of england is immediately going to break into my house and take my stuff

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Underachievers said:

Damnit..... That weird kid from Parkland said that would be the last school shooting.  

If you see that a bunch of kids got killed in a school shooting and you think to yourself "this is a great opportunity to throw shade at a survivor of another recent school shooting!" you probably need to take a little time for self-reflection.

Edited by TobiasFunke
  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Condolences to the families and victims. There are no more excuses to stop this. Either admit you devalue these lives or do what it takes to stop the gun violence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stealthycat said:

I have an AR15, 30 round clips, .223/556 nato

You ok with me and 25 million American's owning them?  Gun control right now is banning AR15 frame guns, semi-auto guns with clips, bump stocks, pistol grips etc. What the anti-gun let says and what they pass, two very different things.

Parkland students don't even want to give up their backpacks ....... but they'd demand me giving up 1/2 the guns I own because they fall into a category ? again, very easy to demand everyone else give up something when you don't have to give up anything yourself isn't it ?

what happened there was a massive failure by the county officials, school and FBI. Nikolas Cruz shouldn't ever had the ability to be where he was and when he stepped onto that campus with a gun, security should have engaged as a last resort and shot him dead. All the laws broken, all the people who failed - those were all safegaurds to when some people crack and want to hurt others. The core problem was Cruz - and he was known, identified and nothing was done.

 

All you can think about is having to sacrifice your object, but give zero consideration to the sacrifices others have been forced to make because of sickos and their holy guns.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dedfin said:

Condolences to the families and victims. There are no more excuses to stop this. Either admit you devalue these lives or do what it takes to stop the gun violence.

agreed

these people who wish to harm others need to be stopped

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dickies said:

All you can think about is having to sacrifice your object, but give zero consideration to the sacrifices others have been forced to make because of sickos and their holy guns.

would hate for him to suffer not being able to get drunk and shoot beer cans in his yard...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

not so off topic no - its an example of how influence can change people

twitter is a powerful tool  - Trump could release fake information via his twitter and have 25 million people believing something fake withing an hour, true ?

 

How does it feel?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dickies said:

All you can think about is having to sacrifice your object, but give zero consideration to the sacrifices others have been forced to make because of sickos and their holy guns.

what will you sacrifice Dickies to stop these shootings ?

its an honest question ........ will you give up anything ?

understand, people don't want to even give up their backpacks and go to clear backpacks because it "violates their Rights" .............. people right here on this board don't want better security because it makes schools look too defensive. People don't want to force commit mentally deranged people because it violates their rights, right?

 

you understand IF this shooter was under 18 and used a shotgun - NONE of the "assault weapons" bans would have impacted this shooting at all. So now what? Ban all shotguns?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

agreed

these people who wish to harm others need to be stopped

I am pretty sure he is talking about gun reform and would consider you as someone devaluing human life. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Dickies said:

How does it feel?

same as it always has .... when a person realizes that their opinions and views can be led by media and social means ..... I think it enables people to then understand better what's happening around them

not many understand this

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

unknown

In 2017, about 42 percent of U.S. households had at least one gun in possession

 

 

reports are now that 8 dead at the school and the shooter was a student - very likely under 18 and not legal in having the guns he used or the ammunition and illegally going onto a campus and illegally shooting people

too early to know, but assuming he/she was under 18 and used a shotgun, how would 18-21 age limit increases, bump stock bans and AR15 bans affect this shooter? it wouldn't have made any difference at all.

that's my problem with the calls for certain looks of guns being banned ..... these problem people will get something else. Stop these people - that's the core problem

 

damn sad day in Texas :(

 

Assuming these were his parents' guns, we should hold the parents equally responsible.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ilov80s said:

I am pretty sure he is talking about gun reform and would consider you as someone devaluing human life. 

my gawd man, I'm pro-life and want to outlaw abortion to save 850,000 dead babies every year

I'm also anti-tobacco and would ban it immediately to save 450,000 dead people from smoking every year

I am an example of someone who DOES value life !

 

I'm also an example of someone who wants to stop the core problem here - these people and why they choose to do these things. Weapons have not changed in 30-40 years, and shootings never happened like this. PEOPLE have changed - why? Figure that out, stop these people before they act and there is the solution without anyone having to give up any of their Rights at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dickies said:

Assuming these were his parents' guns, we should hold the parents equally responsible.

if they gave them to the kid before school and allowed him to take them .... there is a responsibility there

other than that, what you are suggesting is when you give your 16 year old the keys to your car to drive to a movie and they wreck and kill someone, that's also parents fault

it isn't - people, even under 18, have personal responsibility for their actions. i know that's radical, anti-liberal thought but its one of the big failures in this country right now, blaming everyone else for things you do vs accepting the responsibility of own actions

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

same as it always has .... when a person realizes that their opinions and views can be led by media and social means ..... I think it enables people to then understand better what's happening around them

not many understand this

Says the guy that continues to quote NRA talking points (courtesy of Russia)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TLEF316 said:

Looks like at least 8 dead. If the kid had a more efficient weapon it might have been 25.

Nobody is saying that shootings stop if AR-15 rifles are banned. But every life matters.

you are guessing

an AR15 in .223 shoots small bullets, there could easily have been 2 dead and 25 injured

I said it weeks ago right here - better hope shooters never figure out the damage semi-auto shotguns do ........... and this shooter might have proved it

 

so now, ban all semi-auto shotguns? is that next ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Stealthycat said:

if they gave them to the kid before school and allowed him to take them .... there is a responsibility there

other than that, what you are suggesting is when you give your 16 year old the keys to your car to drive to a movie and they wreck and kill someone, that's also parents fault

it isn't - people, even under 18, have personal responsibility for their actions. i know that's radical, anti-liberal thought but its one of the big failures in this country right now, blaming everyone else for things you do vs accepting the responsibility of own actions

You’re absolutely wrong.  If parents let their 16 year old drive and they kill someone, they are responsible, and can be held civilly liable if not criminally.

but guns aren’t cars

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Stealthycat said:

you are guessing

an AR15 in .223 shoots small bullets, there could easily have been 2 dead and 25 injured

I said it weeks ago right here - better hope shooters never figure out the damage semi-auto shotguns do ........... and this shooter might have proved it

 

so now, ban all semi-auto shotguns? is that next ?

Good idea.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dickies said:

Assuming these were his parents' guns, we should hold the parents equally responsible.

I would love to see civil and criminal liability attached to gun owners as well as shooters. If your gun is used in the commission of a crime, you're responsible unless you can show that the gun was obtained from you by criminal act. 

I don't see why this would be a problem for the NRA and responsible gun owners, after all part of being a responsible gun owner is doing everything you can to ensure your gun is under your control or safely stored at all times.

 

  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...