What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

8 Reasons to Drink Kombucha Every Day (2 Viewers)

:blackdot:  As I get older, I need all the help I can get staying healthy. I'm interested in hearing everyone's experience with this.

My wife makes her own and we have this huge jar that holds the 'mother' and every person always looks in disgust and asks what it is. It looks placenta-ish.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/kombucha-a-symbiotic-mix-of-yeast-bacteria-and-the-naturalistic-fallacy/

The bottom line
The best that can be said about kombucha is that it probably won’t kill you. There are no documented health benefits, so unless you really like the taste, there’s no clear reason to consume it. As I have written before, health decisions should be based on an evaluation of the risks and benefits. In the case of kombucha, the benefits, other than the subjective, are unsubstantiated. The risks are real, but also rare. So if that bet still looks attractive, kombucha may be for you. To each his own fermentation. As for me, I’ll stick with my own favourite fermentations: IPA and wheat beer, and pass on the moonshine panacea.

When taking in to account the lies we are told daily by the “elites”  then “undocumented” is as close to truth as we will get.

East Asians live a long time. Anything they are doing I will sign up for. It’s documented at that point.

My mother-in-law brews her own.  I hate the smell of vinegar.  Can't drink the stuff, but my wife loves it.

urbanhack said:
It grows on you.   I actually like it now.  Some type of berry flavor works for me. 
Man, only tried it a couple of times but it tasted like cabbage that soaked in seltzer water. I thought this has to be healthy.

Most of it is overpriced, has too much sugar for my liking (although much less than a soda) and are hit-or-miss on flavor profile.

However I do love several of the Kevita flavors (Tangerine, Lemon Cayenne and a couple others).  To expensive to drink regularly but hit the spot when I shoot the locks off the wallet.

Do you not buy into just kombucha or probiotics in general?  
I just think the purported health benefits are most likely overblown, especially for normally healthy people.  They seem to have a good use in some special instances like warding off gut issue side effects from antibiotics.  

I also don't buy the typical appeals to nature and antiquity that usually are a big part of the selling points for things like kombucha.  But of course, if you like the stuff, have at it.  

Probiotics in general seem like another one of those areas (like antioxidants and multivitamins) where people buy into the "something in this is good, so more must be better" line of thinking.  Then it turns out that unless you have some kind of medical issue causing a deficiency, you're better off just with a varied diet.

Having a healthy gut has a ton of health benefits. Kombucha is not a magic elixir but it does contain beneficial bacteria. I probably drink a bottle a week, but I also take a daily pro-biotic and we ferment our own pickles which is another great source of live beneficial bacteria.

Having a healthy gut has a ton of health benefits. Kombucha is not a magic elixir but it does contain beneficial bacteria. I probably drink a bottle a week, but I also take a daily pro-biotic and we ferment our own pickles which is another great source of live beneficial bacteria.
The research is really just catching up at this point.  The bacteria in your gut pretty much control your whole body

The research is really just catching up at this point.  The bacteria in your gut pretty much control your whole body
Couldn't agree with this more. I always dealt with severe allergies and low-grade inflammation issues. Over the last year I learned about gut health and started drinking kombucha and other fermented foods and started to feel a lot better. Then I eliminated certain foods (mostly grains and dairy) that feed the bacteria that causes inflammation which caused my allergies. I've honestly never felt better. I lost about 15 lbs, I have more energy... it's been a life changer. 

Couldn't agree with this more. I always dealt with severe allergies and low-grade inflammation issues. Over the last year I learned about gut health and started drinking kombucha and other fermented foods and started to feel a lot better. Then I eliminated certain foods (mostly grains and dairy) that feed the bacteria that causes inflammation which caused my allergies. I've honestly never felt better. I lost about 15 lbs, I have more energy... it's been a life changer. 
Congratulations!

Medicine, in general, is just coming around to the fact that our bodies can mostly heal themselves (as they should)  

I like the taste, but it does take a little getting used to. If you don't like the taste then kefir is also pretty good. I make my own sauerkraut and that is the bomb as well...

Congratulations!

Medicine, in general, is just coming around to the fact that our bodies can mostly heal themselves (as they should)  
What does this even mean?  Doctors don't know about the human immune system?

Congratulations!

Yea...but there's no money in prevention and good health.

Shtick?  

I mean, if there were money in it, and things like kombucha were a means to it, wouldn't companies like Whole Foods and PepsiCo be selling the stuff?  Oh wait...

C'mon, with just about everything someone mentions about prevention and good health, someone's making a buck off it.

Shtick?  

I mean, if there were money in it, and things like kombucha were a means to it, wouldn't companies like Whole Foods and PepsiCo be selling the stuff?  Oh wait...

C'mon, with just about everything someone mentions about prevention and good health, someone's making a buck off it.
No shtick.

Healthcare, big phara, et al and their lobbying and special interest groups wouldn't be making any money.  That's the issue. 

No shtick.

Healthcare, big phara, et al and their lobbying and special interest groups wouldn't be making any money.  That's the issue. 
There is no money in prevention period.  That's why so few studies are done on prevention.  It's much easier to point and say 'there is no proof that works' so it's junk science no matter how strong the anecdotal evidence.

They have been schilling SSRI's for decades only to recently learn that they are no better than placebos or meditation or cbt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Kombucha had certain positive effects.

But many of the claims made on some of these web sites are nonsense and totally unproven.

Kombucha: Magical Health Elixir Or Just Funky Tea?
As that article states, there is no evidence that says it doesn't do anything positive for you?  The absence of scientific evidence doesn't mean it doesn't do something positive it just means science hasn't figured it out.

The amazing thing I find about this whole 'junk science' movement is that the science of the body and the physics of the world is literally turned upside down every 10 years or so.  Most of what we thought about the body and mind in the 70s and 80s has been proven totally wrong. 

Users who are viewing this thread