What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dave Chappelle and Politcal Correctness (1 Viewer)

Longtime Chappelle fan. Hilarious man.  Tough times for comedians as everyone nowadays is offended by everything, and the job of a comedian is often to make fun of anything and everything, as long as it gets laughs. 

I just watched it and enjoyed it. I felt like he went to the trans well a little too much, but overall it was pretty funny.

The two larger white ladies in the crowd obviously didnt enjoy the show as much as I did. 

I watched his special. It was funny. I don't think you can take offense to it if you watch it. The quotes definitely take it out of context. People need to relax and have a sense of humor, but that's been happening forever.

You posted questions and I was wondering if you were quoting someone or asking it yourself.

You posted answers and I was wondering if you were quoting someone or answering yourself.

The questions presented were posted in the opening entry, their gold highlight intended to note. Then I provided answers from my point of view below those entries, not in bold.

It feels odd that i have to explain this to you.  :oldunsure:

The questions presented were posted in the opening entry, their gold highlight intended to note. Then I provided answers from my point of view below those entries, not in bold.

It feels odd that i have to explain this to you.  :oldunsure:
It is odd.  I was still confused when AAA tried  to help me out LOL. My bad. I bumped this because of the recent Netflix special and wasn't thinking about the 2018 questions.  :bag:

watching now....the whole Daphne thing is sad, sobering and a real wake up call to how we are treating each other b/c we can do anything we want from behind a keyboard without any regard for the person/people on the other end. 

I love dave's humor and his old skits. But I 100% respect that his act has morphed into a true call to action on civility and being decent human beings to each other...all while still being funny as hell!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is odd.  I was still confused when AAA tried  to help me out LOL. My bad. I bumped this because of the recent Netflix special and wasn't thinking about the 2018 questions.  :bag:

I probably should have noticed the age of the original post and that it was likely no longer relevant, sorry about that.

watching now....the whole Daphne thing is sad, sobering an

great read

“Daphne was in awe of Dave’s graciousness,” Dorman’s sister Becky wrote in a text. “She did not find his jokes rude, crude, off-coloring, off-putting, anything. She thought his jokes were funny. Daphne understood humor and comedy—she was not offended. Why would her family be offended?”

“Dave loved my sister and is an LGBTQ ally,” Dorman’s younger sister Brandy added in a text message. “His entire set was begging to end this very situation.”

I love Chappelle. My favorite comedian. He always makes a lot of good points. I watched the special and it was funny. Imo no topic should be off limits for comedians.

Watched it. Loved it.  There was a real, true, great message there. 

The Daphne stuff stuck on me.  Dang.

"Little girl, I knew your father and he was a great woman."  

Bisexual empathy.  Best message I've heard all week. 

I just watched it and enjoyed it. I felt like he went to the trans well a little too much, but overall it was pretty funny.

The two larger white ladies in the crowd obviously didnt enjoy the show as much as I did. 
I noticed that too. Almost like they regretted buying tickets. 

And they've confused him. "Gender" is not "sex." They're two totally different concepts, not to be used interchangeably.

I'll never get this corrected in society, will I?

Love Clayton Bigsby. When the interviewer explains why he left his wife I can’t not laugh every time. 

me too - and THAT in my opinion, is what minds like Chappelle does ... they can bring everyone together to laugh about the same subjects and content 

rockaction said:
And they've confused him. "Gender" is not "sex." They're two totally different concepts, not to be used interchangeably.

I'll never get this corrected in society, will I?
Not sure what you mean "never get this corrected in society." But I agree with you that "gender" is not "sex." Or at least "gender" is not "sexual organs."

That seems to be what they are teaching kids these days. If my daughter's high school classmates are any indication, society will figure this out soon enough. Kind of like we did with marijuana and gay marriage. 

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Not sure what you mean "never get this corrected in society." But I agree with you that "gender" is not "sex." Or at least "gender" is not "sexual organs."

That seems to be what they are teaching kids these days. If my daughter's high school classmates are any indication, society will figure this out soon enough. Kind of like we did with marijuana and gay marriage. 
Oh, it's a pet peeve of mine when people use the two interchangeably. I've railed a long time on this board and in life about it. 

I have always enjoyed his humor, he is typically calling out hypocrisy rather well.  He is smart guy and I doubt he would stand up to the dogmatic stance of leftists unless he he was sure he could handle it.

Big Chappelle fan. One of the best stand ups of the past couple decades. His last couple specials were great. Some weird stuff, some cringy stuff. IMO not as solid as other stuff he's done but still interesting and funny. Maybe some people loved them and maybe some people thought they sucked. Comedy or art is going to illicit these reactions.

If groups don't like it and Netflix pulls it that's their business. Everything working fine.
This latest special was a turd. I'm a fan of his but this was a dud. It's Iike he focused too much on the edginess of it that he forgot to add the jokes. I chuckled a few times but honestly, fell asleep in the middle. 

His early Netflix specials were better, imo.

watching now....the whole Daphne thing is sad, sobering and a real wake up call to how we are treating each other b/c we can do anything we want from behind a keyboard without any regard for the person/people on the other end. 

I love dave's humor and his old skits. But I 100% respect that his act has morphed into a true call to action on civility and being decent human beings to each other...all while still being funny as hell!!

Thanks for posting that article. It was a very good read. 

Trans Netflix employees staging a walk out to protest the special. 
obviously its their right.  I thought the special was funny as hell.  

Not that people still couldn't be offended, bit I do wonder how many people who are pissed about this stuff actually watch the whole thing vs how many see clips or reactions on their SM feeds.  

Trans Netflix employees staging a walk out to protest the special. 

Netflix literally has millions of hours of content, and they are walking out over 1. 

When can we get back to a place where we can respect that everyone enjoys different things and what you find offensive may not be the same for others? Netflix has stated that Dave's comedy specials are among their most watched pieces of content, so obviously there is a market for it and enough people are not offended by what he does.

I watched the whole thing. I wasn’t offended but I didn’t particularly think it was great comedy.  I found the Daphne story off putting and comparable to “I can’t be a racist because I have a black friend.”
IDK? I took that segment as an example on how the trans community turned on her—esp on social where people who were not there or personally knew her still attacked her— so viscously that it made her make the decision to end her life. In a community that generally is about supporting each other in their decisions, instead they unanimously vilified her for doing what she loved, because of who she did it with, and basically completely closed off what already small support system she may have had. 

So Netflix has apparently fired the employee who leaked internal data about the Chappelle special to Bloomberg.  In normal times that wouldn't be terribly interesting -- of course this is the sort of thing that will get a person fired -- but the story in The Verge is just delicious.  You owe it to yourself to read the whole thing, but the first paragraph is like the Platonic form of how woke fundamentalism works:

Netflix has fired a leader of the trans employee resource group who was organizing the upcoming October 20th walkout. The employee, who is Black and currently pregnant, asked not to be named for fear of online harassment. They have been encouraging trans employees and allies to walk out of work in protest of Netflix’s handling of the Dave Chappelle special The Closer.
https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/15/22728337/netflix-fires-organizer-trans-employee-walkout-dave-chappelle

I like this paragraph for two reasons:

1) It crams in all the identity-politics information that a woke person needs to form his or her opinion about who is the hero and who is the villain in this story.  The fired employee is presumably trans, but also is black and pregnant.  A normal person might wonder why that information is relevant and why it appears in the second sentence of the story, but if you're familiar with woke theology, then you know why it matters.  There's a hierarchy of oppression, and this person ranks way up there.  In woke theology, that means that we are supposed to side with them no matter what.  

If you doubt that interpretation, note that the identity politics stuff is presented to the reader before explaining why the person in question was fired.  First things come first.  Woke people need to know the intersectional identity of the employee so that they can frame the rest of the story appropriately.  

2) ". . . asked not to be named for fear of online harassment."  Bullying for me, but not for thee.  To be clear, I do not need to know who this person is, I deplore online pile-ons, and I'm strongly opposed to doxing and the like.  But woke fundamentalists -- like all other fundamentalists -- are bullies at heart.  And we all know that bullies are really good at dishing it out and not so good at taking it.  

Anyway, it's refreshing to see Netflix not give in to an astroturfed outrage story.

glvsav37 said:
IDK? I took that segment as an example on how the trans community turned on her—esp on social where people who were not there or personally knew her still attacked her— so viscously that it made her make the decision to end her life. In a community that generally is about supporting each other in their decisions, instead they unanimously vilified her for doing what she loved, because of who she did it with, and basically completely closed off what already small support system she may have had. 
Exactly

If you doubt that interpretation, note that the identity politics stuff is presented to the reader before explaining why the person in question was fired. 
For what it’s worth, the reasoning is mentioned in the subtitle.

(That’s a sincere “for what it’s worth”. I am not familiar with The Verge and often find myself in the middle in wokeness debates. That said, I’m apt to defend offensive  comedians and thought the Chappelle special was quite good.) 

Last edited by a moderator:
Netflix Announces Four New Dave Chappelle Comedy Specials

The controversial comic will host and produce four comedy specials focusing on other veteran comedians.

The streamer announced Friday the release of four upcoming comedy specials executive produced and hosted by the controversial comic.

The series of specials is dubbed Chappelle’s Home Team and each will feature a different comic introduced by Chappelle.

The first to be featured is Earthquake, and his special, called Earthquake: Legendary, premieres on Feb. 28:thumbup:

Netflix Announces Four New Dave Chappelle Comedy Specials

The controversial comic will host and produce four comedy specials focusing on other veteran comedians.

The streamer announced Friday the release of four upcoming comedy specials executive produced and hosted by the controversial comic.

The series of specials is dubbed Chappelle’s Home Team and each will feature a different comic introduced by Chappelle.

The first to be featured is Earthquake, and his special, called Earthquake: Legendary, premieres on Feb. 28:thumbup:

The tide may be turning. Hoping/praying so. Long live and thrive, David Chappelle.

Ted Lange as your Bartender said:
That dude got MANGLED by security.  Guessing he’ll sue, which would be absolutely ridiculous, but really what isn’t ridiculous these days?
Just saw some pics, guy got pounded as he should have. Ouch. 

Users who are viewing this thread