What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (6 Viewers)

We came through healthy!!

• Ola looks pretty good, solid #4 OLB?
  • The INTs were nice, but seemed to be more poor QB play than playmaking. That said, it's always nice when a corner can actually catch it... Ike.
  • Juju is still great, and Washington is looking solid. 
  • That catch by Patterson was ridiculous, if he can continue to do well in camp and preseason, he should take Hunter's spot imo. Hunter never lives up to preseason hype.
  • ILBs missing tackles, no surprise here, sadly.
  • Overall pretty happy

Patrick Morris
Godsbrother said:
 I have my fingers crossed that BJ Finney's injury is not serious...
Morris was the next in line after Finney left the game. He looked damn good in the 2nd quarter, which consisted of about 3 drives and 23 plays..

Once he got his hands up and on someone he never gave up position or lost his guy. The defender can make him retreat backwards a couple steps in that initial split-second it takes him to get his hands up and latch-on to the defender. But he stayed between his man and the ball carrier every time. When he shot-out to the LBer level he also handled his target very well every opportunity. Even the biggest DTs couldn't gain any leverage or movement once had his mits on them.

His worst moment came on an incomplete screen-pass where he had to get up field 7 yards or so and locate and hit a moving player. The player side-stepped him, and all he found to block was air and grass.  I do not think he would play OG very well at his size, even though he played some in college.

I may watch the second half later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming no injuries:

Bell, Conner, and Rosie Nix (FB) are obvious locks.   Toss up between Ripley and Samuels, there is a possibility they keep both but doubtful.   My money's on Samuels.

Toussaint, Franklin, Summers all get cut

Robert Golden asked to be cut by Chiefs and was released, guess he thought he'd be vying for a starting role and wasn't, not sure. Any chance we bring him back or just if there's an injury?

steelers1080 said:
Robert Golden asked to be cut by Chiefs and was released, guess he thought he'd be vying for a starting role and wasn't, not sure. Any chance we bring him back or just if there's an injury?
Doubt it.  We have a pretty full and talented secondary finally.  

85 points scored last night and no comments? 

well... 

Washington looks like the real deal.    I love the way he fights for the ball.   We may have no tight ends but the receiving corps is going to be pretty amazing.

Speaking of Tight ends I think the Aaron Rodgers-Jimmy Graham connection is going to be lethal this season

Tackling still seems to be a problem for the defense.

The Steelers had a lot of costly penalties but that personal foul on Coty Sensabaugh for leading with the helmet was ridiculous.  If that is going to be called a penalty then watching the NFL this season is going to be brutal.

James Conner looks good, really good.  I just worry he's going to get hurt every time he touches the ball.

I thought that Rudolph and Dobbs both played pretty well after each threw pick-6's.  

Edmunds looks like he's going to be a playmaker but still needs more work in coverage.  I thought he should have been able to break up that TD pass to the tight end.

I'm tired of watching Fitzgerald Toussaint, I sure hope he gets cut.

Punter Jordan Berry had an abysmal night and  I am really surprised the Steelers don't have another punter on the roster this preseason.    It  might be time to bring one in.

Godsbrother said:
Washington looks like the real deal.    I love the way he fights for the ball.   

James Lofton last night was comparing him to Chris Chambers, and that's not the first time I've heard that comparison being made.  

I'm seeing it more and more.  Love this kid     :towelwave:

Christ watching Bud Dupree is painful.   Doesn't beat anyone. Not with speed or strength or hand fighting. Certainly not with agility or quickness.  With this preseason switch, if they allow him to sit in the play-making ROLB and leave TJ Watt at the LOLB to handle FBs, TEs and be double teamed, I'm going to kill someone.  This crappy experiment needs to end.

I’m pleased by what I saw with some of the rookie LBs - Ola and Matthew Thomas flashed, also redshirt Lb Keion Adams looks like a contributor too.

Matakevich looks a step slower than everyone else in the lineup - he makes the proper reads but doesn’t have the athleticism to get to where he needs to go - I like his grit for special teams, but he’s clearly not a starting ILB - wouldn’t be shocked if Steelers made a trade for an ILB before preseason is over

I heard that Grimble had to have surgery to repair a ligament in his hand and is going to be out several weeks.  Considering Vance McDonald is still out with a foot injury the Steelers are very thin at Tight End. 

Currently they have three healthy TEs on the roster:  Jesse James, Bucky Hodges, and Pharoah McKever.    Yikes!

I’m pleased by what I saw with some of the rookie LBs - Ola and Matthew Thomas flashed, also redshirt Lb Keion Adams looks like a contributor too.

Matakevich looks a step slower than everyone else in the lineup - he makes the proper reads but doesn’t have the athleticism to get to where he needs to go - I like his grit for special teams, but he’s clearly not a starting ILB - wouldn’t be shocked if Steelers made a trade for an ILB before preseason is over
Yea I hope there is room for those guys on the roster. Chick needs to go. LJ Fort is what he is. And I agree that Matakevich just looks slooowwwww

haven't heard anything about Timmons in quite a while, any chance they bring him in?

James Washington kind of reminds me of Anquan Boldin with the way he fights for the ball downfield. Also, he seems to be the complete opposite of Martavis, who would always let the ball come to him. 

I really hope Dupree turns things around and can put up a 6+ sack season, but I have low expectations at this point. He had a ton of potential, but it just doesn't seem to be coming together. 

Our tackling still sucks.

If he can stay healthy, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Leveon and Conner have equal amounts of carries in the first couple weeks of the season. He's flashing talent, would be a great change of pace with his different skill set (hard charging), and Leveon is going to be rusty, no matter how hard he's training. 

Our TE situation is abysmal, I've seen people saying we should trade for Rico Gathers, I disagree, but I would be surprised if we don't pick anyone up after teams start cutting.

A trade for a reliable ILB would be awesome, Shazier is 100% never coming back. 

It's going to mirror 2017, our offense will be amazing and our defense will be a huge liability. 

James Washington kind of reminds me of Anquan Boldin with the way he fights for the ball downfield. Also, he seems to be the complete opposite of Martavis, who would always let the ball come to him. 

I really hope Dupree turns things around and can put up a 6+ sack season, but I have low expectations at this point. He had a ton of potential, but it just doesn't seem to be coming together. 

Our tackling still sucks.

If he can stay healthy, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Leveon and Conner have equal amounts of carries in the first couple weeks of the season. He's flashing talent, would be a great change of pace with his different skill set (hard charging), and Leveon is going to be rusty, no matter how hard he's training. 

Our TE situation is abysmal, I've seen people saying we should trade for Rico Gathers, I disagree, but I would be surprised if we don't pick anyone up after teams start cutting.

A trade for a reliable ILB would be awesome, Shazier is 100% never coming back. 

It's going to mirror 2017, our offense will be amazing and our defense will be a huge liability. 
I hate to say it but I agree with the last statement. It would be a damn shame if this window closes because of a sh@@@y defense again.

So Eli Rogers (on PUP list) is suspended for 1 game for violating the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse.  I assume this means he wasn't taking anything to speed recovery but instead was likely smoking weed.

The Steelers are loaded at WR so I think Rogers was a long shot to make the team but getting suspended will likely not help in finding a job elsewhere.

So Eli Rogers (on PUP list) is suspended for 1 game for violating the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse.  I assume this means he wasn't taking anything to speed recovery but instead was likely smoking weed.

The Steelers are loaded at WR so I think Rogers was a long shot to make the team but getting suspended will likely not help in finding a job elsewhere.
I mean, I doubt any of us were overjoyed when he was brought back. I'd expect him to get cut, but you never know. 

Hoping that the Steelers make some kind of move at ILB, but pretty confident they're not going to before the season. The only move I'd expect is if someone is surprisingly cut during roster cut downs, but then do we really want them?

steelers1080 said:
I mean, I doubt any of us were overjoyed when he was brought back. I'd expect him to get cut, but you never know. 

Hoping that the Steelers make some kind of move at ILB, but pretty confident they're not going to before the season. The only move I'd expect is if someone is surprisingly cut during roster cut downs, but then do we really want them?
They should be also looking at getting some help at TE.  I am not too thrilled with the MacDonald, James, Grimble combo.

bouchette:

K Chris Boswell signs new 5-year deal with Steelers for $19.72 M, through 2022. He was set to play as RFA for $2.9 million in 2018.

Vince Williams gets $20.6 M over 4 years on new Steelers deal
Glad they resigned both. With Shazier out we need stability in the middle, even though Williams isn't a great player, he is a pretty solid one. Bos deserved a new contract and I'm glad he'll stick around. That year with multiple kickers was hellish. 

They should be also looking at getting some help at TE.  I am not too thrilled with the MacDonald, James, Grimble combo.
Honestly, if McDonald can somehow get healthy and stay that way I'd be 100% fine with just him and the Gunslinger, but that probably won't be the case. I liked Bucky Hodges coming out of school, perhaps they can mold him into something usable. 

I like both the Boswell and Williams signings.  

I wonder if the Steelers are considering kicking the tires on NaVorro Bowman?

Godsbrother said:
I wonder if the Steelers are considering kicking the tires on NaVorro Bowman?
If they were thinking about any current FA LBs I would imagine they'd have tried to bring them in for camp so they could be integrated. If they get another LB I think it's post-cut down or via trade. Hopefully Bostic surprises in the week 3 dry run. 

Edmunds picking off Mariota today. So far with a forced fumble and INT in preseason. Hope that continues in the regular season.

92 and 46 have to make this team. How many LBs do you think they carry?

Samuels should make the team over Toussaint and Ridley. I would keep Ridley over T though.  Do they keep 4 plus Nix?

WRs AB, juju, Washington, DHB, Hunter. Do they keep a sixth?

where is marcus allen???

I am concerned that Rudolph was a wasted pick and that we are not going to keep Dobbs and he develops into something. Rudolph doesn’t seem terrible, but I am not seeing Qb of future talent jumping out at me. Could have gotten more help in the 3rd — maybe ben was right?

92 and 46 have to make this team. How many LBs do you think they carry?

Samuels should make the team over Toussaint and Ridley. I would keep Ridley over T though.  Do they keep 4 plus Nix?

WRs AB, juju, Washington, DHB, Hunter. Do they keep a sixth?

where is marcus allen???

I am concerned that Rudolph was a wasted pick and that we are not going to keep Dobbs and he develops into something. Rudolph doesn’t seem terrible, but I am not seeing Qb of future talent jumping out at me. Could have gotten more help in the 3rd — maybe ben was right?
Not sure how many they can keep at LB but the two UDFA’s definitely need on the 53 man and not trying to be snuck onto the P.S.

Samuels should definitely be in over Touissant and Ridley. Nix is a lock. I think both Ridley and Touissant get cut but Touissant has been better in preseason games this year, for whatever that’s worth.

Quandree Diggs has been taking punt returns. Eli Rogers will be on PUP for first 6 games. Hopefully Damone Patterson makes P.S.

Allen had a pick on the last play last night. Not sure how he is progressing but he’s been on the field. I imagine he makes the team.

I thought Rudolph looked capable last night. They’re going to keep Landry Jones on the roster because the team has too much to lose to hand it over to a rookie or developmental QB. Dobbs is just not far enough along. If another team takes him over Steelers PS they’ll have the same deferent in doing so. He will not be able to handle NFL snaps at this point. 

Bojang0301 said:
Not sure how many they can keep at LB but the two UDFA’s definitely need on the 53 man and not trying to be snuck onto the P.S.

Samuels should definitely be in over Touissant and Ridley. Nix is a lock. I think both Ridley and Touissant get cut but Touissant has been better in preseason games this year, for whatever that’s worth.

Quandree Diggs has been taking punt returns. Eli Rogers will be on PUP for first 6 games. Hopefully Damone Patterson makes P.S.

Allen had a pick on the last play last night. Not sure how he is progressing but he’s been on the field. I imagine he makes the team.

I thought Rudolph looked capable last night. They’re going to keep Landry Jones on the roster because the team has too much to lose to hand it over to a rookie or developmental QB. Dobbs is just not far enough along. If another team takes him over Steelers PS they’ll have the same deferent in doing so. He will not be able to handle NFL snaps at this point. 
I agree that rudolph looked capable, abeit a little uncomfortable in my view. He just isn’t jumping off the screen for me, so it makes me wonder whether it was a wasted pick and we will be qb hunting again in 2-3 years, instead of getting someone who could have helped now while we still evaluate and develop Dobbs behind Jones. 

Maybe makes an opening for Patterson from YSU?

I agree that rudolph looked capable, abeit a little uncomfortable in my view. He just isn’t jumping off the screen for me, so it makes me wonder whether it was a wasted pick and we will be qb hunting again in 2-3 years, instead of getting someone who could have helped now while we still evaluate and develop Dobbs behind Jones. 
I think Rudolph looked better in this game but he still has a lot to learn.  He did have a TD pass taken away via penalty.

Oh no. I hope this trade doesn't mean that we need to be worried about James Washington being out long-term. Switzer is listed above Washington on Rotoworld, idk if that's just random or they know something. 

Good player, odd trade. Must not feel comfortable in the slot or they saw someone they liked at cheap value and took it.

Good player, odd trade. Must not feel comfortable in the slot or they saw someone they liked at cheap value and took it.
I really liked Switzer coming out of college. Thought he was a very solid returner and slot/possession guy. Assuming he makes the team, I could see him having few receptions, but with most of them being on 3rd down to convert. 

Washington injury considered minor

I think this has less to do with Washington’s injury and more to do with lack of scheme fit in the WR depth and lack of punt return options. Wonder if DHB or Hunter gets cut or if they carry six? Seems like they have tough calls to make at QB, RB and WR now.
Right now I think we keep Brown, Juju, Washington, Switzer, DHB, Patterson (I actually think they keep Hunter, but I don't want them to. He's a camp/preseason guy who flashes but then stinks when it's really on the line). 

At QB we keep Ben, Landry and Rudolph, and we try and shop Dobbs to no avail. Maybe Practice Squad.

At RB I hope they keep Bell, Conner, and Samuels. If we have to keep another I think it's Touissaint, but I'd rather keep extra defenders or o-linemen. 

I really liked Switzer coming out of college. Thought he was a very solid returner and slot/possession guy. Assuming he makes the team, I could see him having few receptions, but with most of them being on 3rd down to convert. 

Right now I think we keep Brown, Juju, Washington, Switzer, DHB, Patterson (I actually think they keep Hunter, but I don't want them to. He's a camp/preseason guy who flashes but then stinks when it's really on the line). 

At QB we keep Ben, Landry and Rudolph, and we try and shop Dobbs to no avail. Maybe Practice Squad.

At RB I hope they keep Bell, Conner, and Samuels. If we have to keep another I think it's Touissaint, but I'd rather keep extra defenders or o-linemen. 
I think they're going to try and pass Patterson through waivers and sign him to practice squad.

Agree with the QBs.  If they are unable to trade Dobbs and he somehow clears then they'll try to get him on the practice squad as well.

If they decide to keep 4 RBs I sure hope it is Ridley over Touissaint.  

Trade has to mean they are only keeping Bell, Conner, and Samuels. Fitz is gone. 

Six wrs likely with AB, juju, Washington, DHB, Hunter and Switz. 

Think a TE is coming?

i am really curious how many LBs and safeties they keep. 

Trade has to mean they are only keeping Bell, Conner, and Samuels. Fitz is gone. 

Six wrs likely with AB, juju, Washington, DHB, Hunter and Switz. 

Think a TE is coming?

i am really curious how many LBs and safeties they keep. 
No. Reports are that Vance is close. When asked about his play the other night Ben talked about how it was different because his major targets weren’t out there and then mentioned Lev, AB and Vance. He’s still a big sleeper in my book.

RICO MUTHAFLIPPIN GATHERS

He's going to get cut in Dallas because he can't block, but if we're looking for purely a pass catching TE who is a ridiculous red zone target, we could do worse. And who knows, maybe Munchak could teach him how to block at least mediocre. 

(Won't happen, but if Vance is out, maybe should happen)

All it takes is Two 1st round picks for Khalil Mack!  And about 21 million of cap space annually.

Well LeVeon will free up 15 million in 2019.  And that :censored: Bud Dupree extension of 9 million in 2019.  Make the Raiders take him for 1 year.

:porked: :porked: :porked:

Users who are viewing this thread