What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (2 Viewers)

Hot Take: We should trade for Leighton Vander Esch.

He's missed most of training camp and preseason due to minor injuries, and Jaylon Smith has performed very well, basically nullifying their need for LB in the short term. They do however need Safety help very much while we have Edmunds and Davis and Burnett. I'm not sure they'd go for it considering the high capital they used to get him, but what if we could send Burnett and a 2019 2nd for LVE? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hot Take: We should trade for Leighton Vander Esch.

He's missed most of training camp and preseason due to minor injuries, and Jaylon Smith has performed very well, basically nullifying their need for LB in the short term. They do however need Safety help very much while we have Edmunds and Davis and Burnett. I'm not sure they'd go for it considering the high capital they used to get him, but what if we could send Burnett and a 2019 2nd for LVE? 
They literally just drafted the guy. They are not going to give him up for a safety whos near the end of the road and a pick later than they used on LVE.

Could we please just end the Landry Jones experiment and move forward with Ben and the young guys?!
:goodposting:  If Ben were to get injured in a game then I can see why you might want Laundry to finish that game and maybe start the next week.  However if Ben were to suffer a major injury then I doubt the team is going anywhere anyway.   

Jones is in the final year of his contract:  trade and/or cut him and pocket the $2 million in cap space.

Hoping that Ola and Michael Thomas are ok, they've looked like genuine playmakers which our D sorely needs. 

A possible roster casualty that I would like us to sign is Carl Nassib. He's a very solid pass rusher and I think he could help us out, the Browns are just stacked at DE right now. 

Also, we should be on the lookout for any surprise ILBs, especially if Thomas is out long term. 

Hoping that Ola and Michael Thomas are ok, they've looked like genuine playmakers which our D sorely needs. 

A possible roster casualty that I would like us to sign is Carl Nassib. He's a very solid pass rusher and I think he could help us out, the Browns are just stacked at DE right now. 

Also, we should be on the lookout for any surprise ILBs, especially if Thomas is out long term. 
I assume you mean Matthew Thomas?   I didn't hear any comments from the coaching staff or local news reports about his injury so I do not think it is serious.  Ola injured his hamstring but I do not know the severity.   

You think the Browns are going to cut Nassib?   He is a bit of a nut but he has motor that runs non-stop.  My guess is he makes the Browns.

I assume you mean Matthew Thomas?   I didn't hear any comments from the coaching staff or local news reports about his injury so I do not think it is serious.  Ola injured his hamstring but I do not know the severity.   

You think the Browns are going to cut Nassib?   He is a bit of a nut but he has motor that runs non-stop.  My guess is he makes the Browns.
We can't stash injured players some how?  I would hate to lose either of these guys.

Yeah.

And he's been on the chopping block all offseason. They have some depth at the position and Dorsey went out and signed some players he liked. I think he should make the Browns, but he keeps being talked about as a cut. 

Godsbrother said:
:goodposting:  If Ben were to get injured in a game then I can see why you might want Laundry to finish that game and maybe start the next week.  However if Ben were to suffer a major injury then I doubt the team is going anywhere anyway.   

Jones is in the final year of his contract:  trade and/or cut him and pocket the $2 million in cap space.
I think the only way Jones is not the backup is if a team offers a draft pick the Steelers can't pass up - it may take a 4th or maybe even a 3rd pick before they would trade him IMO. 

I think Jones playing with the starting offense is still the teams best chance if Ben were out for the season.

53 man predictions/hopes?
  • QB (3) - Big Ben, Landry Jones, Mason Rudolph (Trade Dobbs)
  • RB (3) - Leveon Bell, James Conner, Jaylen Samuels, Roosevelt Nix
  • WR (6) - Antonio Brown, Juju Smith-Schuster, James Washington, Darius Heyward-Bey, Ryan Switzer, Justin Hunter
  • O-Line (9) - Maurkice Pouncey, David DeCastro, Ramon Foster, Marcus Gilbert, Alejandro Villanueva, BJ Finney, Chukwuma Okorafor, MISC, MISC
  • TE (3) - Vance McDonald, Jesse James, Bucky Hodges
  • DL (6) - Cam Heyward, Stephon Tuitt, Javon Hargrave, Tyson Alualu, LT Walton, Dan McCullers
  • OLB (4) - TJ Watt, Bud Dupree, Ola Adeniyi, Keion Adams
  • ILB (5) - Vince Williams, Jon Bostic, Tyler Matakevich, Matthew Thomas, TBD from another team
  • CB (6) - Joe Haden, Artie Burns, Cam Sutton, Cody Sensebaugh, Mike Hilton, Brian Allen
  • S (4) - Morgan Burnett, Sean Davis, Terrell Edmunds, TBD from another team
  • SP. T (3) - Chris Boswell, Kameron Cannaday, TBD new punter
Idk enough about the O-linemen to pick the last 2, I think we need help at ILB still and could use a guy cut by another team similar to picking up Ross Cockrell a few seasons ago. I don't like our safeties outside the top 3 and think we could do better on the outside, Berhe hasn't been reliable imo. 

Berry has been very mediocre over the preseason, maybe time for a change.

• QB (3) - Big Ben, Landry Jones, Mason Rudolph (Trade Dobbs)
  • RB (3) - Leveon Bell, James Conner, Jaylen Samuels
  • WR (6) - Antonio Brown, Juju Smith-Schuster, James Washington, Darius Heyward-Bey, Ryan Switzer, Justin Hunter
  • O-Line (9) - Maurkice Pouncey, David DeCastro, Ramon Foster, Marcus Gilbert, Alejandro Villanueva, BJ Finney, Chukwuma Okorafor, MISC, MISC
  • TE (3) - Vance McDonald, Jesse James, Bucky Hodges
  • DL (6) - Cam Heyward, Stephon Tuitt, Javon Hargrave, Tyson Alualu, LT Walton, Dan McCullers
  • OLB (4) - TJ Watt, Bud Dupree, Ola Adeniyi, Keion Adams
  • ILB (5) - Vince Williams, Jon Bostic, Tyler Matakevich, Matthew Thomas, TBD from another team
  • CB (6) - Joe Haden, Artie Burns, Cam Sutton, Cody Sensebaugh, Mike Hilton, Brian Allen
  • S (4) - Morgan Burnett, Sean Davis, Terrell Edmunds, TBD from another team
  • SP. T (3) - Chris Boswell, Kameron Cannaday, TBD new punter
  • That's only 52, so add another wherever we need it, maybe Chickillo at OLB.
Idk enough about the O-linemen to pick the last 2, I think we need help at ILB still and could use a guy cut by another team similar to picking up Ross Cockrell a few seasons ago. I don't like our safeties outside the top 3 and think we could do better on the outside, Berhe hasn't been reliable imo. 

Berry has been very mediocre over the preseason, maybe time for a change.
Pretty good list.    I would like to see them keep Ridley if possible.

QB (4):  Ben, Jones, Dobbs, Rudolph

RB (4):  Bell, Conner, Samuels, Nix

WR(6):  AB, JUJU, Washington, DHB, Hunter, Switz

TE (3):  Vance, James, Hodges

OL (8): Villanueva, Foster, Pounce, Decastro, Gilbert, Finney, Chukes, Feiler (?)

DL (6): Cam, Tuitt, Hargrave, Alualu, McCullers, Walton

ILB (5):  Vince, Bostic, Thomas, LJ, Matakevich

OLB (4): TJ, Bud, Ola, Adams

CB (5):  Haden, Burns, Sutton, Hilton, Allen

S(5):  Burnett, Davis, Edmonds, Berhe, Allen

Special (3); Boswell, Berry, Canaday

Maybe keep Ridley over Matakevich . . . .

QB (4):  Ben, Jones, Dobbs, Rudolph

RB (4):  Bell, Conner, Samuels, Nix

WR(6):  AB, JUJU, Washington, DHB, Hunter, Switz

TE (3):  Vance, James, Hodges

OL (8): Villanueva, Foster, Pounce, Decastro, Gilbert, Finney, Chukes, Feiler (?)

DL (6): Cam, Tuitt, Hargrave, Alualu, McCullers, Walton

ILB (5):  Vince, Bostic, Thomas, LJ, Matakevich

OLB (4): TJ, Bud, Ola, Adams

CB (5):  Haden, Burns, Sutton, Hilton, Allen

S(5):  Burnett, Davis, Edmonds, Berhe, Allen

Special (3); Boswell, Lechler, Canaday

Fixed!!

I see us carrying 4 QB's unless a deal comes through for Dobbs.  Unfortunately I can't see us dealing Jones since Tomlin seems to love the guy.  But if we move a QB I would like to see us keep Ridley.  I don't like the idea of cutting Matakevich since ILB is a marginal area for us.  Thank God we found Thomas!

The roster for now:  

QB: Ben Roethlisberger, Josh Dobbs, Mason Rudolph

RB*: James Conner, Jaylen Samuels, Stevan Ridley

FB: Roosevelt Nix

WR: Antonio Brown, JuJu Smith-Schuster, James Washington, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Justin Hunter, Ryan Switzer

TE: Vance McDonald, Jesse James, Xavier Grimble

OL: Alejandro Villanueva, Ramon Foster, Maurkice Pouncey, David DeCastro, Marcus Gilbert, Chukwuma Okorafor, B.J. Finney, Matt Feiler, Zach Banner

DL: Cam Heyward, Stephon Tuitt, Javon Hargrave, Tyson Alualu, L.T. Walton, Daniel McCullers

OLB: T.J. Watt, Bud Dupree, Anthony Chickillo, Ola Adeniyi

ILB: Vince Williams, Jon Bostic, Matthew Thomas, Tyler Matakevich, L.J. Fort

CB: Artie Burns, Joe Haden, Mike Hilton, Cam Sutton, Coty Sensabaugh

S: Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett, Terrell Edmunds, Jordan Dangerfield, Marcus Allen

K: Chris Boswell

P: Jordan Berry

LS: Kameron Canaday

Not saying Switzer is great but you would think the Raiders would be pissed in essentially getting damaged good in Bryant.

Shocked Adams is cut and they are keeping 5 ILB - thought Adams easily showed enough for a roster spot 

meanwhile Matakevich is only a ST’er at this stage of the game

maybe Adams gets to P-squad but I think that’s a big mistake

OLB/DE John Simon was cut by the Colts.    The Steelers brought him in for a visit before the 2013 draft.  He would immediately be the #3 OLB and is  a significant upgrade over Chickillo and Fort.   

Practice squad:

The team signed 10 players including linebacker Keion Adams, cornerback Brian Allen, running back Jarvion Franklin, receiver Trey Griffey, tight end Bucky Hodges, defensive end Lavon Hooks, linebacker Farrington Huguenin, receiver Tevin Jones, center Patrick Morris and offensive lineman R.J. Prince.

The team also signed tight end Christian Scotland-Williamson, who is part of the International Player Pathway program and does not count towards the 10-player practice squad limit.

So we kept everyone we like really. Wonder if landry jones will get signed. 

Anyone who got cut that we may use the new landry jones cap space on?

Ola to the IR?
Yeah and I am a little bummed.  He should be ready to go when he is eligible to return from IR but if a more skilled player goes on the IR the Steelers will likely not use their one return option on Ola.  Let's hope the team stays healthy and Ola is back on the field after week 6.

Yeah and I am a little bummed.  He should be ready to go when he is eligible to return from IR but if a more skilled player goes on the IR the Steelers will likely not use their one return option on Ola.  Let's hope the team stays healthy and Ola is back on the field after week 6.
I mean what is the injury?  Now I am concerned about our LB depth. Thought he could play situationally and Chickllo on special teams — dont want to see him on the field otherwise 

I mean what is the injury?  Now I am concerned about our LB depth. Thought he could play situationally and Chickllo on special teams — dont want to see him on the field otherwise 
Looks like they plan on using Michael Thomas as an edge rusher in certain situations.   He had 17 snaps in the pre season games lined up on the edge.    

According to Field Yates of ESPN.com, the Steelers converted $8.085 million of Heyward’s scheduled base salary of $9 million into a signing bonus to create $5.39 million in salary cap space for the 2018 season.

And I'm 50% lol at Gruden / Bryant.  And 50% legit feel bad about cases like this,  when people have talent and opportunity and throw it away.  
I can't stand watching talent in its prime be denied opportunities over private, personal decisions. 

It seems ridiculous to me, and I feel awful for Bryant.  

According to Field Yates of ESPN.com, the Steelers converted $8.085 million of Heyward’s scheduled base salary of $9 million into a signing bonus to create $5.39 million in salary cap space for the 2018 season.
With this and cutting landry jones, what is the cap space?

Looks like they plan on using Michael Thomas as an edge rusher in certain situations.   He had 17 snaps in the pre season games lined up on the edge.    
Matthew* and that’s really interesting. His athletic profile is very high end. I remember people wanting Shazier to be converted to 3-4 OLB and this would be somewhat similar.

I could be wrong but I think teams can bring two players back off IR now

The team restructured Hayward and now have almost $10M in cap space. I don't know who the candidates would be but Tomlin was a little coy when talking about how he was happy that they kept only 3 OLB.
"Prior to this restructure, Pittsburgh was $6,774,847 under the cap according to the NFLPA public salary cap report as of Tuesday morning, a figure that will now have risen to $12,164,847."

Users who are viewing this thread